Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭sonic85

How about repudiating those who generalise about them and blame societies ills on them when the issue is actually across all society?

That's a little vague can you be a bit more specific?

Who exactly blamed societies ills on them?

I'm particularly interested in the last comment - how is the issue all of societies fault? What exactly have we done to warrant 50% of the blame for traveller issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

tretorn wrote: »
    Has youur father private health insurance, sorry this isnt clear.

If he hasnt then the consultant wont transfer him to a private hospital unless he has the cash in his pocket to pay for private treatment.

The consultants also wont provide any service to public hospitals unless they can access beds for their private patients, this deal was done with the hSE in order to entice consultants out of private hospitals. If the consultants wont do public work then public patients will languish ven longer waiting for treatment.

He has the top VHI package.
    We, as a family, could well afford to pay for any treatment - in cash if necessary. Might have meant using a combination of ATM cards but very do-able.

Either way, we never even got to talk to a doctor apart from one in A&E because I happened to still be there at 1 am when he came to examine my Dad (who was admitted at 12:09 pm the day before if you see what I mean) - never mind the consultant we have paid a fortune to in the last year.

My Da was discharged today. The only info we got was in his discharge letter.

We need a proper NHS (as it was pre-Thatcher) health service. :(

Padraig Nally and Peter Casey, brave lads not afraid to be different.

And you swallowed that sh1te? Seriously? it's PR. He never wanted to get elected president. He said what he thought dumb voters would think.

And you fell for it.

Over a stupid Presidential election.

He's got his deposit back. He's furthered his career. And you fell for it.

Be happy in your world if that's what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sorry now- a "good chunk of the general populace" have supported what, exactly?

"A good chunk of the populace" watch "I'm a celebrity..." But a "good chuck" ..in fact a greater "chunk", don't watch, that show, than do watch it.

So, are you saying that those who watch "I'm a celebrity..." want a less welfare state?

What about the jeremy kyle audience- how do you think they would have voted?

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

He could have said we need to work with our Travelling Community and heal the wounds that exist between them and the settled community and he would be proud as president to lead. Instead he stuck the knife in, pulled the wound right open a emboldened others to follow suit.(

That’s just meaningless rhetoric.

The vast majority of us have no interest in healing wounds or working on anything with travelers.

Play with matches and you’ll get burned. No thanks. I don’t care what they do as long as it well away from me. I’ve be burned too many times before. Never again.

They’re beyond redemption. The ones I’ve unfortunately had to deal with just need to be locked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What message would that be now? Bring back Glenroe on a Sunday night?

For rural Ireland's sake I hope it's we need broadband, decent public transport, and post offices.

But Peter never mentioned those.

anewme wrote: »
    The Travellers are Jeremy Kyle fanatics?

Never heard that before.

Not sure where that's come from???

Not what I said at all. But that's what I'd expect a Jeremy Kyle Show fan to say- totally confused by today's events- have a lie down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

But yet there has been no attempt to ask why over 20% of the turnout support Peter Caseys views.?

It's been written off as racism and bigotry ...

Apparently it's because of Jeremy Kyle viewers according to the aptly named Tool up above... or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The election has shown a lot of discrimination against the rural voter with a view that they are less intelligence or sophiscated than their urban cousins.

This has extended to the views on the people that voted for Peter Casey.

As a rural voter I get a good laugh out of it.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Ah Omackeral- there ya are! Missed ya. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Calhoun wrote: »
    Probably would have heard my son out as well before losing the plot with him. All i have to go on is how i read the story and from the looks of it two lads turn up at the door and you immediately sided with them.

I don't remember saying I lost the plot with him. I lost the plot with myself, thinking my son had succumbed to the prejudices of the 20% of 40-50% of the electorate.
    We raised him to be better than that. And we met an elder brother who despite his challenges was better than that 20% too, to be honest.

The onus is now on you guys to start proposing solutions btw. I am not confident you have any tbh.

blinding wrote: »
    Watch how much FFG will promise to do about Rural Crime now . Ok . it’ll probably just a promise but just watch them . Thang God the Rural people used this opportunity to voice their fear and concerns .

They need to enact changes now to be in with any chance of my vote. I’m not interested in silly promises come election time.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Apparently it's because of Jeremy Kyle viewers according to the aptly named Tool up above... or something.

POST REPORTED FOR ABUSE. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Did you kneecap them?

That's under the belt, and I don't mean metaphorically. Not nice.

• I don't remember saying I lost the plot with him. I lost the plot with myself, thinking my son had succumbed to the facts of the 20% of 40-50% of the electorate.
    We raised him to be better than that. And we met an elder brother who despite his challenges was better than that 20% too, to be honest.

The onus is now on you guys to start proposing solutions btw. I am not confident you have any tbh.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Rennaws wrote: »
    That’s just meaningless rhetoric.

The vast majority of us have no interest in healing wounds or working on anything with travelers.

Play with matches and you’ll get burned. No thanks. I don’t care what they do as long as it well away from me. I’ve be burned too many times before. Never again.

They’re beyond redemption. The ones I’ve unfortunately had to deal with just need to be locked up.

Up to you if you want to condemn a community of 40,000+ people (about half of whom are children under the age of 18) as beyond redemption.

There's so much good within that 40,000 and it's only ignornace that won't recognise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

And you swallowed that sh1te? Seriously? it's PR. He never wanted to get elected president. He said what he thought dumb voters would think.

And you fell for it.

Being honest, I just want to see some unrest and political destabilision being caused and a level of fear among the more lean leaning in the country. He was never going to get elected.

Home school liasions (dunno the correct name) who are the first port of call to try ensure kids get an education were slashed massively resource wise during the downturn. The numbers haven't remotely recovered yet. I agree, fund this essential service properly!

The parents may not have enough time education themselves to help the kids with homework so I think a better use of money would be an after school service every day.

No pussyfooting around with the parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Irish Times exit poll claims 28% voted for Casey in Rural Ireland and 29% in Connaught/Ulster

Wohoo culchies FTW :)
    Vulnerable Rural people know only too well what some travellers are capable of . They are afraid in their own homes . Afraid of Intimidation , thieving and burglary . That the traveller culture brought to these vulnerable people .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Time for bed. A good day for a democrat. Nite all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

And you fell for it.

Over a stupid Presidential election.

He's got his deposit back. He's furthered his career. And you fell for it.

Be happy in your world if that's what you think.

And Micky D’s promises weren’t PR? Let’s be honest you just fell for diff

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

What message would that be now? Bring back Glenroe on a Sunday night?
    Law and order in the Countryside . Stop traveller intimidation , thievery and burglary .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not what I said at all. But that's what I'd expect a Jeremy Kyle Show fan to say- totally confused by today's events- have a lie down. :)

Your comment did not make sense.

Jeremy Kyle is trash daytime TV?

As someone who's worked long hours out of the house for 30 years, I've never watched daytime TV.

You've also said we are at almost employment.?

Then if you are mentioning Jeremy Kyle you must be talking about Ms. Cash etc, who've never done an honest days work.

The rest of us are simply too busy.

Being honest, I just want to see some unrest and political destabilision being caused and a level of fear among the more lean leaning in the country. He was never going to get elected.

I just disagree with "travellers" and "people claiming social welfare" as being legitimate election manifestos for an Irish Presidential election.
    I think if there's such a disagreement, then make it a local or national election issue.
    But not for the Presidency. Vote Varadkar out of office in the next general election by all means. But I just thought the Presidential office was worth more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't remember saying I lost the plot with him. I lost the plot with myself, thinking my son had succumbed to the prejudices of the 20% of 40-50% of the electorate.

I didn't get thats what you mean, it looked like you just turned on your son, so fair enough.

I am concerned though that you are trying to raise an unthinking lemming who does exactly what he is told, if you think that 20% of the population are just bigoted and haven't had prior experience of being abused.

Onus is on us to propose solution for what?

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    And Micky D’s promises weren’t PR? Let’s be honest you just fell for diff

I didn't say who I voted for:)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

The parents may not have enough time education themselves to help the kids with homework so I think a better use of money would be an after school service every day.

No pussyfooting around with the parents.

Sounds like a handy OT number for some teachers to do feck all cos nothing would be expected of them to me.

Your comment did not make sense.

Jeremy Kyle is trash daytime TV?

As someone who's worked long hours out of the house for 30 years, I've never watched daytime TV.

You've also said we are at almost employment.?

Then if you are mentioning Jeremy Kyle you must be talking about Ms. Cash etc, who've never done an honest days work.

The rest of us are simply too busy.

I asked you earlier to put into perspective your 80K salary in the context of claiming "I must earn a lot" - You didn't. Your claims are fruitless without context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Up to you if you want to condemn a community of 40,000+ people (about half of whom are choldren under the age of 18) as beyond redemption.

There's so much good within that 40,000 and it's only ignornace that won't recognise it.

Call me ignorant. It won’t change my experiences.

I first found about their culture as toddler in the back of the car as we passed a man beating a woman with a stick at the side of the road. Still sticks with me today. I never forgot it.

Most recent experience was when I caught them trying to rob my house. I got my tyres slashed for having the gall to stop them from me robbing me.

He promised to burn my house down with my wife and kids in it in front of them. My daughter was terrified for months.

They destroyed my granny’s final years, robbing her over and over till she had nothing left to lose. They destroyed her confidence and her dignity and ultimately killed her through their actions.

Ignorant indeed.. I have no time for them and never will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement