Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

alaimacerc wrote: »
    That they're an ethnic minority by any objective assessment, that there's a tremendous amount of prejudice against them, and that on both accounts, they should have "official" recognition as such?

Is any of this prejudice as a result of the actions of travellers themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It must be a shock to believe this sort of guff, only to repeatedly find out differently. Except that apparently they're unable to find it out, no matter how often they're told.

The boorish views on Travellers of some are no shock to anyone. Just sad. And yes, deplorable.

Have you lived near them at any point?

We did... admittedly some years ago when they took over a lovely park at the Spawell in Templeogue. Cost us taxpayers a mint to clean it up when eventually they left. Took six months or so. Was totally awful.

If it doesn't affect you and your family personally, it is very easy to spout the PC line. Over to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I couldn't disagree more. I would bet everything I own on it being the majority.

What exactly is "it"? People that hold some degree of prejudice about Travellers? Very possibly.

People that are so angry about it they're going to go out and vote for an obvious buffoon, to see an even uglier version of their own uglier thoughts valorised by the institutions of the state?

If the latter, get down to Paddy P, and "bet everyone you own" on that. You'd make a handsome return on it.

If it doesn't affect you and your family personally, it is very easy to spout the PC line. Over to you!

If you've got endless prejudicial anecdotes to spout, you'll find it very easy to determinedly avoid any discussion of the bigger picture of prejudice against an entire disadvantaged ethnic group, come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ooooh, by "openly" you mean to someone's face? Well, that's a different grade of mindless aggression entirely, isn't it?

But "openly" as in, dumping rancourously prejudiced remarks about "them" into "respectable" company, behind their backs? Happens all the bleedin' time.

By openly ye I mean out in the open yes.

As for behing there back yes it does happen and there is a reason for that. The stats of them in jail, the fact they park anywhere they like and do anything. As a person who has lived through it of people breaking fences to get into our estate, to seeing people openly defecate, with dogs and horse around the places and if you even think of walking just past you get threatening remarks. So don't come on here and think people are just been big to be different. Have you ever had to live beside them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ah it's not in real terms though. the amount of people both posting in threads like this on after hours, or voting in the various poles, are in a very very tiny minority compared to the general population. no doubt a number outside here share the same views but even so it's quite likely that they are in a minority.

Im the only person i know active here (bar one or two on other fora).
    Almost everyone i know, has very negative view on travellers. Bar my lefty liberal sister, who literally lives as far from a halting site as its possible)

So I think the media and gubbernment completely underestimate the level of pent up public resentment and anger towards travellers, esp in rural areas, and the condescending tones from the cognoscenti. Its only waiting for a release valve. This could be it.

Have you lived near them at any point?

We did... admittedly some years ago when they took over a lovely park at the Spawell in Templeogue. Cost us taxpayers a mint to clean it up when eventually they left. Took six months or so. Was totally awful.

We are still battling them after 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You think people are saying these things about travelers openly not a chance they are 2 afraid of what will happen to them as they are a law upon themselves as we have seen in the area around the estate I live. There is no way Casey will win and this would not help him as people will not vote anyway. However Casey has opened up a conversation which others will see others take it up when he will not back down and it will be a topic long after casey

oh absolutely people are saying these things about travelers openly. on here, on other platforms, on a couple of the radio talk shows as well. they may not be willing to say such things to traveler's faces, but the discussion over travelers is not being shut down. the discussion is just as open now as it was before peter spoke on the issue.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Casey to romp home with an "Electoral College landslide", then? Or are you trolling and whatabouting?
    the point was don't take anything for granted
    every single vote counts

If you've got endless prejudicial anecdotes to spout, you'll find it very easy to determinedly avoid any discussion of the bigger picture of prejudice against an entire disadvantaged ethnic group, come to that.

I am speaking the truth about our awful experience, and I am sure many others have similar if not worse things to report.

But you did not answer my question, have you ever lived beside them, near them or encountered them. Neatly avoided I see. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Close on 1000 people voting with such a strong bias towards one side would make this poll result statistically significant

I don't think you know what "statistically significant" means. Or maybe, "self-selecting". Or it could be "everyone" that you're struggling with...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jesus the "thanks" thread is full of posts relating to Casey's comments. I've never seen the thread as full mainly on the same topic.
    I might now tune into tonight's debate which I had previously little interest in.
    Could be good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I reckon Margaret Cash was the fuel and Casey was the match.

She pushed people too far and here we are.

I’m personally delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jesus the "thanks" thread is full of posts relating to Casey's comments. I've never seen the thread as full mainly on the same topic.
    I might now tune into tonight's debate which I had previously little interest in.
    Could be good fun.

What's the thanks thread?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Disadvantaged you say?

If refusing a new house because the council (taxpayer) didn't play ball and have a stable for a horse as well is what you call disadvantaged then I rest my case.

For a group of about 40000 they have more money thrown at them than anyone else I know and they give nothing back to society in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That they're an ethnic minority by any objective assessment, that there's a tremendous amount of prejudice against them, and that on both accounts, they should have "official" recognition as such?

How are they an ethnic minority, they're just descendants of Irish people who took on an itinerant life style about 500 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

John Connors is all fired up on Twitter.

This day just gets better and better, I know Casey hasn't a hope against the garden gnome but I'll vote for him anyway.

Great... anything that Pisses Off Mr Connors and gets him dropping his pearls o wisdom is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What's the thanks thread?

The highest thanked posts of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I reckon Margaret Cash was the fuel and Casey was the match.

She pushed people too far and here we are.

I’m personally delighted.

And the lads in Tipperary the fan

(Has Margaret made a statement on the Tipp lads? Shes usually très au courant and quick to highlight boarded up houses)

I'm specifically characterising as guff the view that everyone hates Travellers, and that no-one ever says so.

So thats a no so. You are saying the majority do not think the same as Casey. yes they do. They may not say it to you or it may not be seen here but that does not mean it is not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yeah....

Do you think they're hard working?

some are, some not.
    Do you think bare knuckle boxing is a good way to solve disputes?

it's not ultimately, but it's better then using a knife or gun.
    Do you wonder why they don't value education?

no, i think i have a fair idea as to why. however that will ultimately change in time, and education will be valued.

Do you think their way of life is archaic and not in keeping with modern norms?

parts of it are, and parts of it not so.
    Do you understand how a huge amount of people are wary of them due to negative interactions?

yes, however being wary is very very different to being out and out hostile and discriminatory toards them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

thread needs a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

We need to legislate against this kind of truth-speech

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

What exactly is "it"? People that hold some degree of prejudice about Travellers? Very possibly.

People that are so angry about it they're going to go out and vote for an obvious buffoon, to see an even uglier version of their own uglier thoughts valorised by the institutions of the state?

If the latter, get down to Paddy P, and "bet everyone you own" on that. You'd make a handsome return on it.

It always has to be prejudice, doesn't it?

See, that's the problem. They hide behind their ethnic shield and nobody can say a word. You see prejudice, I see people not being held accountable for their reprehensible culture.

Well, not today at least. At least someone had the balls to say it like it is. It will more than likely amount to nothing but Mr.Casey's comments today were refreshing and must be applauded.

oh absolutely people are saying these things about travelers openly. on here, on other platforms, on a couple of the radio talk shows as well. they may not be willing to say such things to traveler's faces, but the discussion over travelers is not being shut down. the discussion is just as open now as it was before peter spoke on the issue.

Its never been that open. If ever started it has been quickly closed down and not talking about here but Casey has opened the discussion big time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

thread needs a poll

Certainly got enough posters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

(Has Margaret made a statement on the Tipp lads? Shes usually très au courant and quick to highlight boarded up houses)
    auld maggie has gone offline since she was caught robbing 300 quids worth from pennys. Havent heard a whisper about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Let me be cynical ......this country needs travellers.....they keep the guards,judiciary,solicitors,social workers and prison officers in a job.Same way as the gangland criminals do in Dublin.If things were right CAB would have sorted most of them out years ago.
    They had a good reputation in this country onetime,the tinsmiths and craftsmen doing the odd jobs around the country.
    Nowadays they make the headlines for all the wrong reasons and their leaders blame everyone but themselves.

Ok will probably be carded for this, but show me a Traveller who doesn't drive a top of the range SUV, and then there is always a sulky with a horse in tow, and no insurance.

I was driving from Maynooth to Lucan the other day, and lo and behold there were two sulkies coming towards me. Yikes, I moved toot sweet to the left, but the driver behind me got hit with a spooked horse and the side of the sulkie.

Guessing the driver of the car has no recourse. Looking in my mirror the sulkie drivers legged it.

This is not legal. So someone has to speak out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

sayz its de prezdents fault for them to be letin the guberment do the election tingand travellers is alwezz being decrininated agin and its no joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement