Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I just disagree with "travellers" and "people claiming social welfare" as being legitimate election manifestos for an Irish Presidential election.
    I think if there's such a disagreement, then make it a local or national election issue.
    But not for the Presidency. Vote Varadkar out of office in the next general election by all means. But I just thought the Presidential office was worth more than this.

In reality it's not worth all that much, the votes are more symbolic in nature as is the post itself.

I just feel a little sick and tired of being ignored by politicians because I come from a rural background and/or that I work hard for everything I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Calhoun wrote: »
    What i find funny is true to form of people looking to be in the right side of history, he sided against his son nearly immediately.

Its lucky the travellers had more composer and explained the full story of what was going on.

Yeh, Calhoun, that horrifying moment when you think your offspring has engaged in bigotry and prejudice. Not nice, if you are a parent.
    I am not a 'my boy can do no wrong' parent, despite how many parents like that I have met.
    Have to say the elder traveller lad was mature and as interested in a positive outcome as I was ...eventually. It was a lesson I will not forget.

Your positive experience is more a statistical unlikelihood.like one of those lifelong smokers who avoids cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Impressive outing by P.C. when many were still clinging to the 2 per cent narrative. Egg and face. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Rennaws wrote: »
    Call me ignorant. It won’t change my experiences.

I first found about their culture as toddler in the back of the car as we passed a man beating a woman with a stick at the side of the road. Still sticks with me today. I never forgot it.

Most recent experience was when I caught them trying to rob my house. I got my tyres slashed for having the gall to stop them from me robbing me.

He promised to burn my house down with my wife and kids in it in front of them. My daughter was terrified for months.

They destroyed my granny’s final years, robbing her over and over till she had nothing left to lose. They destroyed her confidence and her dignity and ultimately killed her through their actions.

Ignorant indeed.. I have no time for them and never will.

And your experiences don't change the fact that they were carried out by individuals, not an entire community of 40,000 people. Of whom 20,000+ are children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I asked you earlier to put into perspective your 80K salary in the context of claiming "I must earn a lot" - You didn't. Your claims are fruitless without context.

I'm really not sure what your angling at.

I don't think an 80k salary is great money.

Especially if it's the same as someone who's never done a days work only milk the system.

Big difference is - it's honestly earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I just disagree with "travellers" and "people claiming social welfare" as being legitimate election manifestos for an Irish Presidential election.
    I think if there's such a disagreement, then make it a local or national election issue.
    But not for the Presidency. Vote Varadkar out of office in the next general election by all means. But I just thought the Presidential office was worth more than this.

And vote for who exactly ?

In reality it's not worth all that much, the votes are more symbolic in nature as is the post itself.

I just feel a little sick and tired of being ignored by politicians because I come from a rural background and/or that I work hard for everything I have.

Fair enough. I don't agree with you in the sense that I'm not sure, assuming you did vote for Casey, that your "protest' vote will ever be interpreted as that- at least openly, by the establishment.

But we're in a democracy. i'm glad you and others actually went out and voted today. Many countries don't give their citizens that option.

And vote for who exactly ?

Dustin of course. I still have faith he will bring the Dart from Dublin to Dingle- one day.

darttodingle.jpg?w=400&h=533

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    For rural Ireland's sake I hope it's we need broadband, decent public transport, and post offices.

But Peter never mentioned those.

In fairness he mentioned broadband. 20 megs will do ya according to tech savvy Peter. As useful as these if your business relies on bb to function.

tincantelephone_7099.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

What message would that be now? Bring back Glenroe on a Sunday night?

Johnny Connors and his brother Blackie were fine upstanding travellers in the Glenroe community. So yes. Although Blackie helped Dinny with his dodgy free range eggs scheme.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a handy OT number for some teachers to do feck all cos nothing would be expected of them to me.

If the parents can’t read or write who will help the kids with their homework? I’m just trying to figure out the best way to ensure that in 2 generations this divide between settled and travellers stops. Enforce the laws regarding education. Educate the kids, they find a career that’s not criminal, go on to have their own kids, educate them without feeling forced to do so. And so on and so on.

Next issue but just as serious. Marrying the girls off young.

The one common denominator here in people saying they voted for Casey is people saying they worked hard for what they have.

That's very telling overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Casey got my vote. Not specifically for his remark about travellers but because of the issue he actually tried to raise. 

No matter what ethnic minority or background you come from as a tax payer it's pathetic that someone thinks they can make ridiculous demands on a free house that's being provided to them. Whether they are travellers or not i'd rather see them houses empty than be given to them.

And your experiences don't change the fact that they were carried out by individuals, not an entire community of 40,000 people. Of whom 20,000+ are children.

Not buying it.

There are too many shared experiences to the contrary. I have many more myself. I’ve come across the women and children too.

Just as bad.

I write them all off. Every one of them. I won’t give them a chance.

I don’t do that to any other group of people.

And it’s not even prejudice because my experiences justify it.

The only people who can help travelers are travelers and that’s not going to happen any time soon.

Dustin of course. I still have faith he will bring the Dart from Dublin to Dingle- one day.

darttodingle.jpg?w=400&h=533

I’m fully confident we’ll see the Dart in Fermoy as well, except it won’t be called the Dart of course.

Johnny Connors and his brother Blackie were fine upstanding travellers in the Glenroe community. So yes. Although Blackie helped Dinny with his dodgy free range eggs scheme.

Was that the time Dinny and Miley smeared chicken sh1te on shop-brought eggs and sold them as "free-range"? Classic episode :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Casey got my vote. Not specifically for his remark about travellers but because of the issue he actually tried to raise. 

No matter what ethnic minority or background you come from as a tax payer it's pathetic that someone thinks they can make ridiculous demands on a free house that's being provided to them. Whether they are travellers or not i'd rather see them houses empty than be given to them.

The houses in Tip that they said they dont want and quite happy to see them given to families on the housing list?

The houses in Tip that they said they dont want and quite happy to see them given to families on the housing list?

God help any normal families who move in there. They’ll be hounded out by their nomadic neighbour’s.

That said they’re still getting free houses. Seems everyone wants a free house these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

And are they also happy to see themselves be moved back down to the bottom of the waiting list?

• And are they also happy to see themselves be moved back down to the bottom of the waiting list?

Not actually how the waiting list works but carry on.

• Advertisement

I asked you earlier to put into perspective your 80K salary in the context of claiming "I must earn a lot" - You didn't. Your claims are fruitless without context.

I never said you "must earn a lot'

I said I earn the same as Ms. cash...80k gross .only i put in 60 80 hours while she she does nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Modern progressive Ireland Abú!

Abú indeed, now that Poppy season is upon us, you can run off and jump into that thread, telling us how wearing a poppy violates your human rights and that people should be forced not to wear one.

Progressive you are not. Your just a wind-up merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

anewme wrote: »
    The one common denominator here in people saying they voted for Casey is people saying they worked hard for what they have.

It's about time that the real heros of this country are noted and rewarded for pulling on the rope to get the economy running again.

Leo & Co. You get a fiver a week for your troubles. The Entitlement class (who dont get up early), will get more than you (you fool!).

Why be a hero?

God help any normal families who move in there. They’ll be hounded out by their nomadic neighbour’s.

That said they’re still getting free houses. Seems everyone wants a free house these days.

Except those who foot the bill for ALL the free houses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I know a few people on the dole who voted Casey. Most used to vote Sinn Fein(so did I) but since they mainly care about liberal PC issues, feminism, travellers, trans rights etc they are losing voters.

Sinn Fein are losing working class male voters. They will not vote for a bunch of angry middle class feminists . SF are on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Was that the time Dinny and Miley smeared chicken sh1te on shop-brought eggs and sold them as "free-range"? Classic episode :p

Yeah that's the one. Glenroe, the last hurrah of the weekend before school on Monday morning. The second last being Murphy's Micro Quiz M.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Already on Twitter "the Jew" is being blamed for the proles voting the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Labour haven't been Left since James Connelly was shot.

LOL, good one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Danzy wrote: »
    Already on Twitter "the Jew" is being blamed for the proles voting the wrong way.
    Who? How can they blame Jews lol

• Advertisement

Except those who foot the bill for ALL the free houses!

Sickening..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement