Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

tretorn wrote: »
    46% of the population of the town of Rathkeale voted for Peter Casey.!!!!!!!

How will Brexit work out for travellers claiming in both countries, will it affect this practice.
    A strong anti Brexit cohort there I’m guessing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

Jaysus there's a lot of posters hurting today.
    Well done Casey.

He lost. And to a communist no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Try_harder wrote: »
    On Late Debate - @bridsmithTD talking about Casey’s Traveller nonsense. “Last year the entire budget for Traveller Accommodation was €12m - we gave the horse racing industry €67m”

In this years (according to some Left-wing) budget horse racing got 64 million and greyhound racing got 16 million - so 80 million between the two this year alone.

Since 2001 they have received over 1 billion from taxpayers money.

When questioned if this was a good use of taxpayer money Minister Creed claimed "Bord na gCon [Irish Greyhound Board] estimates that the greyhound industry employs over 10,300 people" but quickly had to withdraw that by announcing "Bord na gCon has informed me that it currently directly employs 128 full time staff and approximately 720 part time staff".

128 f/t and 720 p/t employees = 16 million from the taxpayer. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

BoneIdol wrote: »

But we won. Collected a nice little sum from Paddy Power earlier.
    I feel your pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Quite noticeable reading the thread how the debate has coarsened.
    Are people feeling braver now as a result of this vote?

Personally delighted to be part of those who elected Higgins.

Glad to see that Casey is at least divorcing himself from the traveller comments on the radio there.

• Advertisement

Glad to see that Casey is at least divorcing himself from the traveller comments on the radio there.

Collins isn't changing though, which is very bad for the travellers.
    Casey's comments were still not racist Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He said nothing controversial in the first place

Casey’s traveller comments recap

He disagrees with them being recognized as a ethnic minority.

Says they avoid tax and that house prices drop when travelers move onto an area.

Says they camp on other ppl’s land.

Says the Tipperary situation with travelers demanding stables with their new houses is ridiculous.

Quote:

He cited an ongoing dispute in Tipperary where six new homes are lying empty in a €1.7m development because families living on an unauthorised site nearby are refusing to move in until they get stables for horses.

“I mean how ridiculous have we become as a society where they are turning down beautiful, four-bedroom houses because there’ll blackmailing the county council into giving them stables for their horses.

“I’m sorry, there’s something seriously wrong with society when we’re at that stage,” Mr Casey said.

Nothing overly controversial there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

John Connors might leave the country over this
    https://twitter.com/johnconnors1990/status/1056028432004452352

Some of the responses are priceless. Someone offered to drive him to the airport!
    Righty called out on Gardaí and looting comments.

But we won. Collected a nice little sum from Paddy Power earlier.
    I feel your pain though.

You bet on him to lose? Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A millionaire communist with multiple properties and pensions who sees his daughter feather bedded in the senate and his “special friend” given both a job and a room and board at the Áras. Allegedly.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Says they avoid tax and that house prices drop when travelers move onto an area.

Says the Tipperary situation with travelers demanding stables with their new houses is ridiculous.

Quote:

He cited an ongoing dispute in Tipperary where six new homes are lying empty in a €1.7m development because families living on an unauthorised site nearby are refusing to move in until they get stables for horses.

“I mean how ridiculous have we become as a society where they are turning down beautiful, four-bedroom houses because there’ll blackmailing the county council into giving them stables for their horses.

“I’m sorry, there’s something seriously wrong with society when we’re at that stage,” Mr Casey said.

Nothing particularly controversial until you factor in the online thought police. "won't somebody please think of the traveller's?"

Glazers Out!

Quote:

And he doesn't seem, (listening to him on the radio) to be prepared to stand over them either. He doesn't accept that it was those comments that got him elected.

You bet on him to lose? Fair enough.

The Boards.ie doctor will see you in 3 hours, give you something for your pain.
    He's very busy this morning for some reason.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A millionaire communist with multiple properties and pensions who sees his daughter feather bedded in the senate and his “special friend” given both a job and a room and board at the Áras. Allegedly.

Yeah. Casey must be raging.

And he doesn't seem, (listening to him on the radio) to be prepared to stand over them either. He doesn't accept that it was those comments that got him elected.

Go away Francie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

I just don’t get why people seem to love Michael D Higgins so much. They say he represents us well, but when you ask for examples, people don’t really know. His fawning over Castro and Chavez was repellant.

He’s also far too old, broke a promise to the electorate about being a one-term president, and should retire with dignity. I think it’s wrong that someone can be president for 14 years continuously. I look at Michael D and I don’t feel any particular affinity with him. I don’t think we have much in common. I don’t get the impression he understands the challenges facing people in their 20s and 30s in this country. I know this is not necessarily the role of our president, but for me it would help.

People say, if Michael D hadn’t run again, Peter Casey would now be our president. Doesn’t that say something about the drudgery of the other 4 candidates? They didn’t energise the electorate whatsoever. The whole campaign was boring and disappointing, no wonder people voted for Casey, they are utterly fed up with bland candidates who try to please everyone. Casey is the only one who sparked any interest in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He doesn't accept that it was those comments that got him elected.

Probably because he wasn’t elected

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Casey got 20% of the vote.

What message does that send to the government from the electorate? I think many are fed up with being milked and bled by taxes only to see handout after handout given to people who don't need or deserve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Shelga wrote: »
    No wonder people voted for Casey, they are utterly fed up with bland candidates who try to please everyone. Casey is the only one who sparked any interest in people.

Yeah, says a lot about the candidates when a tax exile like Casey gets such a high vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

bubblypop wrote: »
    So the issue is the colour of someones skin?

Yes, but that's not racist because... *insert some spin here*

I didn't want to point that out.
    He must be jaded.

Yep. Wrongly phrased. Not enough coffee yet. :)

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, says a lot about the candidates when a tax exile like Casey gets such a high vote.

Do you think I should spend my winnings on a trip to Florida or New Zealand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just waching RTE and fair play to Micheal Martin for acknowledging the 20% is due to unhappiness with certain communities way of life and the way the system treats them. Alot of others are either ignoring the 20% or tiptoeing around the reasons for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

lalababa wrote: »
    Just waching RTE and fair play to Micheal Martin for acknowledging the 20% is due to unhappiness with certain communities way of life and the way the system treats them. Alot of others are either ignoring the 20% or tiptoeing around the reasons for it.

Message has been heard. Job done.

RTE tried to blame Sinn Fein for Casey's vote earlier. Delicious.

That is great news. Now if Leo does the same ......

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

A big thing to take away from these results is not only how well Casey did overall, but the locations where he did particularly well. 46% support in Rathkeale. That says something. The closer the proximity of travellers and settled folk, the greater the discourse.

• Advertisement

A big thing to take away from these results is not only how well Casey did overall, but the locations where he did particularly weXll. 46% support in Rathkeale. That says something. The closer the proximity of travellers and settled folk, the greater the discourse.

Rathskeale must be high on racists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement