Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

John Connors might leave the country over this
    https://twitter.com/johnconnors1990/status/1056028432004452352

It will be a better place when he leaves, this is the same guy who has shown allot of contempt for law and order in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

omega man wrote: »
    Message has been heard. Job done.

It says what we kinda knew before, that 20% of 40-50% of the electorate have a problem with travellers.

That vote by the way would have little to no impact at a general election.

And by the looks of it, Casey is not prepared to campaign on those 'sentiments' as he doesn't believe it was those comments that got him the 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

lalababa wrote: »
    Just waching RTE and fair play to Micheal Martin for acknowledging the 20% is due to unhappiness with certain communities way of life and the way the system treats them. Alot of others are either ignoring the 20% or tiptoeing around the reasons for it.

Political Correctness has won out yet again. Casey's support ought to bring out a well overdue conversation, but it will all get swept under the carpet again. Nothing to see here. We are all happy living next door to halting sites in this utopia.

A big thing to take away from these results is not only how well Casey did overall, but the locations where he did particularly well. 46% support in Rathkeale. That says something. The closer the proximity of travellers and settled folk, the greater the discourse.

Does it not show there is no discourse? The travelling community clearly didn't vote in Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It says what we kinda knew before, that 20% of 40-50% of the electorate have a problem with travellers.

And by the looks of it, Casey is not prepared to campaign on those 'sentiments' as he doesn't believe it was those comments that got him the 20%

Odd that you didn't believe him before the vote??

• Advertisement

Rathskeale must be high on racists.

Yeah, strange that. Why would there be such a clustering of racists in one town? :confused:

Odd that you didn't believe him before the vote??

You guys are on the hunt for another rep if you think that Casey is now gonna lead the charge on travellers. He is divorcing himself from the responsibility already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Congratulations to Peter Casey and well done to everyone who contributed to his vote. I think the message has been delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

A big thing to take away from these results is not only how well Casey did overall, but the locations where he did particularly well. 46% support in Rathkeale. That says something. The closer the proximity of travellers and settled folk, the greater the discourse.

Considering close on 50% of Rathkeale are travellers, that could suggest almost every non traveller voted for Casey.

Does it not show there is no discourse? The travelling community clearly didn't vote in Rathkeale.

Clearly they didn't. I don't understand your point. The point I'm making is that the perhaps the proximity to travellers is directly proportional to support for Casey.

• Advertisement

Considering close on 50% of Rathkeale are travellers, that could suggest almost every non traveller voted for Casey.

Exactly

You guys are on the hunt for another rep if you think that Casey is now gonna lead the charge on travellers. He is divorcing himself from the responsibility already.

Are you in the queue to see the Boards.ie doctor Francie? Pain bad??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am loving how pissed off the Casey vote is making people. Either way it's a win-win, if people actually start engagin in conversation maybe we can move this along to a place that all are happy.

On the other hand and more realistic I have already seen people trying to shut down the Casey voters and just write it off as bigotry. The net result being proving the point for allot of people for Casey and growing that base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Azatadine wrote: »
    Is there any risk that Casey may get targeted for robbery by that crowd of travellers now?

He's rich enough to have security so should be OK... If it were a Councillor or TD they'd be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Is it not the travellers own fault that they are oppressed by so many of the general population?
    They seek respect and trust but these things have to be earned. The same goes for people in the general population who commit acts against the law. There are some in the travelling community similar to the general population who expect the state to provide all for them while contributing nothing. Tarring all travellers with the same brush is akin to tarring all in a particular town or housing estate because of a few bad apples.
    Traveller organisations/spokespeople have to step up to the plate and condemn the actions of those in their community who give them all the bad name. Do we in the general population respect and trust those that steal/sell drugs/claim social welfare never having contributed in any way/drive with no insurance?
    I think Peter Casey struck a chord with many people, certainly did with me and brought the issue front and centre. I don't think he was ever going to win the election before or since his comments but his rise from 2% to his present showing of 20ish % shows that many people think there are issues that need to be discussed and sorted out. The using the racist/bigoted card in relation to such a sizeable amount of the electorate is totally wrong, I'm sure that the vast majority would be normal decent people who are quite fed up with the situation as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Whatever about Casey, I have a genuine fear for the safety of settled people in Rathkeale, especially around Christmas. The poll results there won't go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The result backs up the opinion polls so like it as not, it is reflective of the wider electorate.

Are you in the queue to see the Boards.ie doctor Francie? Pain bad??

No pain at all Tayto.
    I said last night after the exit poll, that this is one happy democrat. Days ago I was saying 20% was a failure of a result on a single issue ticket.

20% of 40-50% is even worse in my view. I would posit the theory it is abject failure of a single issue.

I am sure the residents of Rathkeale will be waiting with bated breath for solutions from the candidate they voted for.

Oh wait, he is not accepting that his vote was on the back of traveller comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You are completely deluded Francie.

A vote of over 20% would have no impact on a general election? And you claimed you studied civics in school?

Have you had that coffee yet? Maybe have another just to be sure.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Go on the Casey! I love him in this interview with Miriam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Miriam is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

John Connors might leave the country over this
    https://twitter.com/johnconnors1990/status/1056028432004452352

Please let that be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

One thing for sure, irrespective of anything else, I'd love to go for a few pints with Casey. I like him.

No pain at all Tayto.
    I said last night after the exit poll, that this is one happy democrat. Days ago I was saying 20% was a failure of a result on a single issue ticket.

20% of 40-50% is even worse in my view. I would posit the theory it is abject failure of a single issue.

I am sure the residents of Rathkeale will be waiting with bated breath for solutions from the candidate they voted for.

Oh wait, he is not accepting that his vote was on the back of traveller comments.

Poor old Francie!!! Still in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I first posted on this thread at lunchtime last Wednesday week and on and off since when I got time.

I was looking forward to a bit of chat today but it seems it's all a bit raw.

Understandable I suppose and I'm not being critical of either side or those in the middle.

Some good discussion on TV and radio at the moment.

I think I'll give it a couple of days and let the dust settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Francie might have to delete his boards account over this shock haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Is it not the travellers own fault that they are oppressed by so many of the general population?
    They seek respect and trust but these things have to be earned. The same goes for people in the general population who commit acts against the law. There are some in the travelling community similar to the general population who expect the state to provide all for them while contributing nothing. Tarring all travellers with the same brush is akin to tarring all in a particular town or housing estate because of a few bad apples.
    Traveller organisations/spokespeople have to step up to the plate and condemn the actions of those in their community who give them all the bad name. Do we in the general population respect and trust those that steal/sell drugs/claim social welfare never having contributed in any way/drive with no insurance?
    I think Peter Casey struck a chord with many people, certainly did with me and brought the issue front and centre. I don't think he was ever going to win the election before or since his comments but his rise from 2% to his present showing of 20ish % shows that many people think there are issues that need to be discussed and sorted out. The using the racist/bigoted card in relation to such a sizeable amount of the electorate is totally wrong, I'm sure that the vast majority would be normal decent people who are quite fed up with the situation as is.

They need better representation and are very poorly served by the likes of Pavee Point shutting down any and all discussion.

However, if those representatives have nobody worth talking to on the other side of the table, it's a futile exercise and relations will not improve and may get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Go on the Casey! I love him in this interview with Miriam

He's getting more and more confident with these kind of interviews.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You are completely deluded Francie.

A vote of over 20% would have no impact on a general election? And you claimed you studied civics in school?

Have you had that coffee yet? Maybe have another just to be sure.

How would it have an impact? You have to have somebody running on that ticket in many many constituencies.

Given Casey is now backing away from taking responsibility for his comments it doesn't look good.

Let's see if the FF voters who swung to Casey can influence party policy maybe, then it might have an impact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement