Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

It’s becoming quite clear that Casey is getting huge votes in areas where there are travellers as these areas are beating the brunt of traveller crime and robbing . Hearing 45-46 % of the vote in parts of Limerick
    It’s alright saying travellers are great people if your living in donnybrook or foxrock where there aren’t any .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

omega man wrote: »
    Fcuk off Miriam. Well responded Peter.

What did she say to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Fintan O Toole - We Need to Talk About The Racism Epidemic In Ireland

Una Mullally - Mediocre White Man Elected by Mediocre White Men

Michael D Higgins - Where's My Fùcking Money?

https://twitter.com/fotoole/status/1056150792158220290

Incredible how predictable that was.

10b61Z5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

FG/FF are not centre right. They are just a bunch of panderers and all over the place.

A proper centre right party is what is needed with a leader who has similar views to Casey and FG/FF need to be consigned to the dustbins of history once and for all.

We can then begin to start the process of real huge scale reform.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Listening to Newstalks coverage over the morning. Contributor after contributor talking about the terrible remarks Casey made about travellers.

What exactly did he say that was so terrible? I really can't see anything wrong with what he said, but he's been branded a racist and anyone who voted for him branded a racist by the "progressives"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's incorrect to assume that this 20% of the voters are some sort of homogeneous organised group who are looking for sweeping social and welfare reforms. My mother in law voted for Casey because she didn't want MDH getting a second term but actually likes MDH anyway. She had no idea about his comments on travellers or social welfare etc. At the next local and general elections she'll be back voting for FF without fail.

Exit poll says 1/3rd (35%) of voters will go FG in G.E.
    Fine Gael: 35%
    Fianna Fáil: 22%
    Sinn Féin: 15%
    Independents: 9%
    Labour: 7%
    Green Party: 4%
    Social Democrats: 3%
    Solidarity-PBP: 2%
    Independents 4 Change: 2%
    Independent Alliance: 1%
    https://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-opinion-poll-4-4309017-Oct2018/

So it certainly doesn't look like Casey is spearheading any change in voting patterns. In fact it looks like the status quo is holding firm.

Personally, I don't like the status quo and would love to see the FG/FF duopoly shattered but I also don't want any more effin right of centre parties.
    PDs/Renua/Libertas - enough already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

It's incorrect to assume that this 20% of the voters are some sort of homogeneous organised group who are looking for sweeping social and welfare reforms. My mother in law voted for Casey because she didn't want MDH getting a second term but actually likes MDH anyway. She had no idea about his comments on travellers or social welfare etc. At the next local and general elections she'll be back voting for FF without fail.

I never suggested they were some sort of homogeneous organised group, I'm just saying that there's a potential gap in the market if someone wants to try and take advantage of it. Personally I doubt anybody will, I'd say it'll be a lost opportunity

Still voting FF eh? That's very much the problem with older voters, they follow one political party like a football team, it's completely misguided loyalty and it's why we get mired with the same shíte over and over again.

Ps, I'm not having a go at your mother, my parents are the very same with FG, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Sorry to hear that John Connors is leaving. Can I suggest that he could go somewhere that might be a bit more accommodating of Traveller culture. Maybe Saudi Arabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Get the boots, they are gorgeous! Well done! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It is more right wing than pandering to wasters though.

More so but still not right wing

It's a lazy comment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

She'll just be voting Fianna, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Exit poll says 1/3rd (35%) of voters will go FG in G.E.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-opinion-poll-4-4309017-Oct2018/

So it certainly doesn't look like Casey is spearheading any change in voting patterns. In fact it looks like the status quo is holding firm.

Personally, I don't like the status quo and would love to see the FG/FF duopoly shattered but I also don't want any more effin right of centre parties.
    PDs/Renua/Libertas - enough already.

Ash the whole election and debates were great.
    Some of us filled our boots with Paddy Powers money.
    We should leave the GE debate until nearer the time.

fyfe79 wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Think we need a poll. I vote boots also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Shelga wrote: »
    Get the boots, they are gorgeous! Well done! :D

If you have the thighs for the boots, get them. However, shapely ankles and calves? Get the shoes.

First question is can you walk properly in heels, or do you drag your heels and roll your ankles, like many Irish women?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fyfe79 wrote: »

Fáil with the fada.......never forget the fada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Can someone point out the special aspects of the traveller culture that are worth preserving in the modern world? It seems to me that the culture is the largest hurdle in their lives and causes the horrible outcomes - high suicide rates, low life expectancy, high criminality and so on.
    Having said that, all people should be judged on their individual merits and all travellers trying to live like the majority deserve support, especially because their community will be the first to abandon them.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    More so but still not right wing

It's a lazy comment

Ok I'm sorry your honour :-)

What is right wing anyway, simple people like me just don't know, teach me.

Icepick wrote: »
    Can someone point out the special aspects of the traveller culture that are worth preserving in the modern world? .

The iPhone Xs, satellite TV, and '18 reg 4x4s. Fair play to the Travellers for forgoing their traditions when it came to their entertainment.

• Advertisement

Ok I'm sorry your honour :-)

What is right wing anyway, simple people like me just don't know, teach me.

I'm not having a go at all

I just don't think a single opinion means you are right wing. I just don't like labelling

If someone voted Casey and for Same Sex Marriage and the 8th what are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Icepick wrote: »
    Can someone point out the special aspects of the traveller culture that are worth preserving in the modern world? It seems to me that the culture is the largest hurdle in their lives and causes the horrible outcomes - high suicide rates, low life expectancy, high criminality and so on.
    Having said that, all people should be judged on their individual merits and all travellers trying to live like the majority deserve support, specially because their community will be the first to abandon them.

Ah .. am … oh. .. wait!..no. Am ... tin beating?

Sean Gallagher described as "the lad that repeated his Leaving Cert, and did worse the second time". lol

If you have the thighs for the boots, get them. However, shapely ankles and calves? Get the shoes.

First question is can you walk properly in heels, or do you drag your heels and roll your ankles, like many Irish women?

I’m a city girl so well trained in running in heels. Not much use now in the mountains of Leitrim :D but I can still look at them with a “my precious” glint in my eye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,539 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Think we need a poll. I vote boots also.

Agreed. But need photo of end result to confirm scientific findings

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I'm not having a go at all

I just don't think a single opinion means you are right wing. I just don't like labelling

If someone voted Casey and for Same Sex Marriage and the 8th what are they?

Not a big fan of labelling either to be honest, I have lots of different views on lots of different topics, one size never fits all.

But again, there is a gap for the right wing in Ireland, our partys tend to be either centre, or left wing. The right is very poorly represented here and as such there is an opportunity.

I don't know where you stand, but I'm not even saying that this is necessarily a good thing, I tend to favour right wing economics but not social policy, so I wouldn't have a whole lot to gain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

[Removed Image]
    I’m a city girl so well trained in running in heels. Not much use now in the mountains of Leitrim :D but I can still look at them with a “my precious” glint in my eye ;)
    Got the boots for you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I was going to give a considered response but then I got to the rant about Margaret Cash so... yeah... one woman brought the country to it's knees because she is the only woman ever to have 7 children and rely on S.W...apparently.

No, because that would be a silly silly argument. I did not state that and you know I didn't but I suppose its an easy get out of jail card for you.

I used her as an example, in fact, I said so in my post 'A classic example'.

People like her, demanding more and more is a big problem in this country. She is a symptom of what is wrong. There is deep-seated entitlement in the country across much of our society. Yet you want to introduce NHS style health service in the country. Good luck to that when we can't even sack the dross in the HSE to make way for more frontline staff, see that sense of entitlement again.... but yea ignore it away and tell us all your grand visions for Ireland from that University College Cork ivory tower of yours. Us plebs will listen and say 'Yes mam' like good Catholics of the past.
    I have no interest in either defending or denouncing Margaret Cash. There is already a whole thread for that. I don't go in there and I ain't going into it here.

Of course you dont because that would make the argument a dead rubber for you. Best talk around the problems eh?

Not a big fan of labelling either to be honest, I have lots of different views on lots of different topics, one size never fits all.

But again, there is a gap for the right wing in Ireland, our partys tend to be either centre, or left wing. The right is very poorly represented here and as such there is an opportunity.

I don't know where you stand, but I'm not even saying that this is necessarily a good thing, I tend to favour right wing economics but not social policy, so I wouldn't have a whole lot to gain anyway.

I think I would be on the same lines as yourself on that (as I suspect many would).

To be honest neither left or right are "well represented, the left are a bunch of jokers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well it looks like some of the media and the fooking gimps they have on are playing it that the 20% are rural hicks, not much education, racists and so voted for Casey.

Even fianna fail linked ass***s like Noel Whelan can't help himself but use the rural voters slant.

And that traveller solicitor (talk about two leeching groups in one) Joyce is on and lists off all the things the poor travellers have to put up with, but he neglected to mention what ordinary decent people have to put up with from them.

At least Fitzmaurice had the cojones to mention some of Casey's voters were the ones not sleeping well in their beds last night.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement