Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yes, he was, and so were all the others. And I will remind you that somebody who would never go down a rabbithole of hate was elected by a margin of 3 to every one of Casey's votes.

Massive win for the Irish people there.

MDH was a shoe in Francie. The interest (if any) was would Gallagher or Riada run it close and test the waters for FF and SF.

It ended up being a disaster for all but "the man that has had enough".
    Its a massive blow Francie.
    Massive.

The butt hurt in SF must be epic. Coming into elections, they've been done considerable damage. Haemorrhaged votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Serious questions Francie.

Are you surprised at Casey's vote?
    Disappointed or angered?

Do you genuinely think everyone voted for Casey because of the traveller/social welfare angle? Can you countenance a lot of people are fairly piśšed off with the Cashes et al?

I dont know where it goes now, but it sure as šhit got interesting.

I am disappointed and angered (not at the result, but at the way the election was basically hijacked)

I said it several times through the thread that 20% was a failure for a single issue candidate. A man with the opposite views outpolled him by 3 to 1 votes.

Huge win if you are a democrat tbh.

I am disappointed and angered (not at the result, but at the way the election was basically hijacked)

I said it several times through the thread that 20% was a failure for a single issue candidate. A man with the opposite views outpolled him by 3 to 1 votes.

Democracy always wins in a, well, fair democratic election.
    Looking at some of my twitter feed, you'd swear there was a failure, by "allowing" Casey run.
    (Looking at you Green Party)

I agree, it was a triumph for democracy.
    A man who ventilated a contentious view was denounced and derided by the entire MSM and political establishment, yet still garnered >20% of the vote.

Thats true democracy.
    People call it "populism" if they disagree with the contencious issue/canditate, when they cant come to terms with the outcome.
    Its actually democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I think some people really should get down off their high horses. No group should be beyond criticism in this country. Casey did well because he challenged the cosy consensus between the politicians and the media that they do not speak in bad terms about travellers and that they must always be portrayed as marginalised victims. Casey did well because he was not frightened to criticise an aspect of the traveller community. And the mainstream media response was the typical "You criticise travellers, you must be a bigot".

Casey was very brave to do this because it is not easy to do. It is not easy to go against the grain even when you know deep down you are speaking the truth. I admire him for that.

This was a vote against political correctness which stifles opinion and debate. This was a vote for free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Our Prime Minister came out and basically told the people of Ireland not to vote for Peter Casey because he held different views to him, that's hardly a win for democracy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The one thing I learnt from this election was I'm not the only one who isn't gone on Michael D. Even those who I know voted for him had the attitude he's the best of a bad lot.

Democracy always wins in a, well, fair democratic election.
    Looking at some of my twitter feed, you'd swear there was a failure, by "allowing" Casey run.
    (Looking at you Green Party)

I agree, it was a triumph for democracy.
    A man who ventilated a contentious view was denounced and derided by the entire MSM and political establishment, yet still garnered >20% of the vote.

Thats true democracy.
    People call it "populism" if they disagree with the contencious issue/canditate, when they cant come to terms with the outcome.
    Its actually democracy.

There is no triumph in a single issue candidate only getting 20% of a 40-50% turnout. Let's knock that one on the head.

80% did not vote for him and while I disagree that the 'entire' media and political establishment denounced him, what would you expect in a country where 80% voted for the exact opposite of Casey?
    There is a reason these views do not make it onto the airwaves that often...because the overwhelming majority of the population DON'T hold them.

Our Prime Minister came out and basically told the people of Ireland not to vote for Peter Casey because he held different views to him, that's hardly a win for democracy!

He told them not to vote for him, because he, the Taoiseach, believed him to be racist.

I don't think the Taoiseach should have gotten involved either as it happens, not because it was anti-democratic, it wasn't, but because it was a misuse of his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

There is a reason these views do not make it onto the airwaves that often...because the overwhelming majority of the population DON'T hold them.

I disagree. The majority dare not utter them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LoL

Casey wasn't even a single issue candidate....

Freeman was, and it was a very important single issue, and look how poor she did.

20% in a one horse race coming from 1% a week previous screams a win for the protest vote..... But your just too bitter to accept francie.... Seeing as you predicted he'd only get 1%

LMAO at ya :)

• Advertisement

There is no triumph in a single issue candidate only getting 20% of a 40-50% turnout. Let's knock that one on the head.

80% did not vote for him and while I disagree that the 'entire' media and political establishment denounced him, what would you expect in a country where 80% voted for the exact opposite of Casey?

Gild the turd all you want Francie. Put whatever sparkle dust on it you like. At the end of the day, youre clutching a turd.Casey and those that subscribe to his message were the winners.
    We both know it.
    The media know it.
    The establishment know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Oh my god you are an absolute out and out Liar. You said 10% would be an abject failure.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    LoL

Casey wasn't even a single issue candidate....

Freeman was, and it was a very important single issue, and look how poor she did.

20% in a one horse race coming from 1% a week previous screams a win for the protest vote..... But your just too bitter to accept francie.... Seeing as you predicted he'd only get 1%

LMAO at ya :)

Posted two days ago. Nothing inconsistent in my posting today. And not one bit bitter to be honest.
    Very happy not to be in that 20%.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108450874&postcount=5400

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Oh my god you are an absolute out and out Liar. You said 10% would be an abject failure.

Posted two days ago. Can you retract the 'liar' accusation?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108450874&postcount=5400
    20% on the back of claims that he spoke about 'what everyone believes' would be an abject failure, both by him and those making the claim that 'everyone feels' like he does.

We all know you blame SF for everything. Carry on.

10% is an abject failure for Casey and I would take that as a triumph of democrats over those who want to introduce incitement to hate as a feature of our political landscape.

Haha had to go back and quote it.

Christ, what's the point in debating with someone like you.

Gild the turd all you want Francie. Put whatever sparkle dust on it you like. At the end of the day, youre clutching a turd.Casey and those that subscribe to his message were the winners.
    We both know it.
    The media know it.
    The establishment know it.

eh, Michael D won Roger, massively, in record numbers etc.

Your 'rep' is hastily refusing to accept responsibility for the remarks that got him 20%

Haha had to go back and quote it.

Christ, what's the point in debating with someone like you.

Yeh, I did, just to show how desperate you are Jeff. You gonna stand by the 'liar' remark?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

JMNolan wrote: »
    I suppose it is outlandish to suggest we perhaps discuss these issue openly before the far right gets into power? Or will we just keep shouting "racist"?
    +1
    any attempt to discuss this issue is dismissed as racism and I don't see that changing any time soon

Yeh, I did, just to show how desperate you are Jeff. You gonna stand by the 'liar' remark?

I quoted your post stating the 10%.

Your claim that you consistently said 20% is indeed a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

He told them not to vote for him, because he, the Taoiseach, believed him to be racist.

I don't think the Taoiseach should have gotten involved either as it happens, not because it was anti-democratic, it wasn't, but because it was a misuse of his position.

Well in fairness then he should come out and apologize because Peter Casey isn't racist. It's unusual for people to be racist against their fellow countrymen/women.

But sure if the leader of a country 'misuses' his position is that not anti-democratic no? He should have kept the mouth shut, he had no business telling people who not to vote for in a Presidential election, FG didn't even run a candidate. A sad day for democracy if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From the polls that are coming in so far. I am seeing the rural/urban divide that I've experienced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Have the Travellers got Leo as a hostage ?

Where the hell is he ?

Is he upset that so many people said ‘ up yours Leo '

eh, Michael D won Roger, massively, in record numbers etc.

Your 'rep' is hastily refusing to accept responsibility for the remarks that got him 20%

MDH was a forgone conclusion. Look at the odds.
    He was even originally "my man", as i thought he was the best of a bunch of gobśhites.
    Until...

You are a liar. I quoted your posting where you stated that 10% would be an abject failure.

Yes, it would be an abject failure and so would 20% which I also said.
    20% on the back of claims that he spoke about 'what everyone believes' would be an abject failure, both by him and those making the claim that 'everyone feels' like he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

blinding wrote: »
    Have the Travellers got Leo as a hostage ?

Where the hell is he ?

Is he upset that so many people said ‘ up yours Leo '

They'll go back voting for FG and FF next time out so it's grand.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They'll go back voting for FG and FF next time out so it's grand.

That is the real test of this 'constituency'. Can they get anyone to represent them. Because their 'man' is not accepting that the uttering of his views was what brought them out to vote for him.

I feel a wee bit sorry for them tbh. They should have at least expected their man to be out today talking for them. He is gone off for another think, apparently.

Anyway, as many may or may not have noticed, I tend to stay out of traveller threads on here as they make me feel a little dirty, so I will leave this thread now and confine myself to the Politics threads to discuss the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I quoted your post stating the 10%.

Your claim that you consistently said 20% is indeed a lie.

Agreed. He hasn't been consistent about anything, shifting the goalposts as it suited him.

If 20% is an "abject failure" in this election, I'd love to know how he defines the SF candidate's performance. She got around a third of Casey's vote.

Agreed. He hasn't been consistent about anything, shifting the goalposts as it suited him.

If 20% is an "abject failure" in this election, I'd love to know how he defines the SF candidate's performance. She got around a third of Casey's vote.

Literally no point in debating with him. I asked him yesterday morning after he quoted the 10% to give a figure before the exit poll that wouldn't be an abject failure... Silence of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Anyway, as many may or may not have noticed, I tend to stay out of traveller threads on here as they make me feel a little dirty, so I will leave this thread now and confine myself to the Politics threads to discuss the election.

Barely noticed you had contributed to this thread at all Francie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Given that you've made 647 posts on this thread in the ten days it has been open, I find that a bit hard to believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement