Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great result for Peter Casey, the electorate gave the stults who try to ride ‘Those who get up early’ and ‘ Middle Ireland’ ragged a good shoe in the plum bag.

Make no mistake this will awaken an awareness amongst those who rule us that this we are sick of being ridden ragged by tossers and tippers around and guntherers who ride on the edge of the envelope and still paying for everything.

This vote will send out a message not to disregard Middle Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

Great result for Peter Casey, the electorate gave the stults who try to ride ‘Those who get up early’ and ‘ Middle Ireland’ ragged a good shoe in the plum bag.

Make no mistake this will awaken an awareness amongst those who rule us that this we are sick of being ridden ragged by tossers and tippers around and guntherers who ride on the edge of the envelope and still paying for everything.

This vote will send out a message not to disregard Middle Ireland.

Watching RTE coverage currently and Collins comments regarding 20% of population might hate travellers. Already the level of Casey's vote is being dismissed into the background as not really about that at all. It will make not an iota of a difference. Old news by the time the Dail goes on it's winter recess/holidays.

That is the real test of this 'constituency'. Can they get anyone to represent them. Because their 'man' is not accepting that the uttering of his views was what brought them out to vote for him.

I feel a wee bit sorry for them tbh. They should have at least expected their man to be out today talking for them. He is gone off for another think, apparently.

Anyway, as many may or may not have noticed, I tend to stay out of traveller threads on here as they make me feel a little dirty, so I will leave this thread now and confine myself to the Politics threads to discuss the election.

Hate to break this to you Francie,but this isn’t a “traveller thread” so you don’t need to take a shower.

Missing you already:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Casey and the electorate used each other. He got a big lift and got 2nd place behind the incumbent who was always going to be a shoe in. People who are sick of the powers that be indulging travellers and scroungers were handed an unexpected opportunity to make their point. We live in a democracy, allegedly, but not all voices get heard most of the time.

It would be an interesting exercise if some journalists went out on the ground and actually talked to the people who voted for Casey. Better than assuming they're all part time members of the KKK or ill educated muck savages.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Watching RTE coverage currently and Collins comments regarding 20% of population might hate travellers. Already the level of Casey's vote is being dismissed into the background as not really about that at all. It will make not an iota of a difference. Old news by the time the Dail goes on it's winter recess/holidays.

Don’t know who the Collins is you refer to, but make no mistake,the ‘inner sanctum’ of those who rule us will have taken on board what this election has provided.

And what is has said is that ‘those who pay for everything’ are royally pissed off at being taken for patsies,while there is almost full employment, and yet these scrotes are gaming the system big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Casey and the electorate used each other. He got a big lift and got 2nd place behind the incumbent who was always going to be a shoe in. People who are sick of the powers that be indulging travellers and scroungers were handed an unexpected opportunity to make their point. We live in a democracy, allegedly, but not all voices get heard most of the time.

It would be an interesting exercise if some journalists went out on the ground and actually talked to the people who voted for Casey. Better than assuming they're all part time members of the KKK or ill educated muck savages.
    I think they know that they're not all country bumpkins but for some reason they're afraid to acknowledge it.

Pretty sure the likes of Fintin and Una wouldn't be too happy if our indigenous ethnic grouping decided to culturally enrich the end of their road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

NOT surprised at strong Tipp Casey vote

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The drop in the odds is to coax more money out of fools. I genuinely can never understand why people fall for this bookie stunt. But anyway...:D

'?

I loved this.

Loads collecting in Paddy Powers this morning when I was counting my winnings.

12/1 without Michilin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I loved this.

12/1 without Michilin.

Enjoy your winnings and the moral victory!
    Well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

sydthebeat wrote: »
    LoL

Casey wasn't even a single issue candidate....

Freeman was, and it was a very important single issue, and look how poor she did.

20% in a one horse race coming from 1% a week previous screams a win for the protest vote..... But your just too bitter to accept francie.... Seeing as you predicted he'd only get 1%

LMAO at ya :)

Just wondering about the embedded contradiction in your post.
    You admit that he jumped from 1% to 20% in a week.
    But then say he wasn't a single-issue candidate.
    Can you tell us what other issues he raised in that week that brought him from the 1% to the 20% if it was not the projection of vague demagoguery against travellers and people on the dole?

Genuine question

From what I understand, he had some stance on neutrality and also distancing ourselves from the EU. Which also seemed a bit contradictory - we should form stronger military alliances but not political ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Casey on 23.2% now with 35/40 constituencies reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I've only heard one politician, Ming Flanagans replacement I think, voice any kind of reasoned thought on why Casey got such a vote. The political class really needs to cop on and stop crying wolf, if they don't the country will pay a high price, just look across the Irish sea to see the fiasco.

CASEY PETER
    292,686 VOTES
    23.2% 1ST PREF.

That was some performance.
    Middle Ireland has spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,823 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I loved this.

12/1 without Michilin.

Sorry Tayto...can't let yet another misrepresentation pass.
    That was in response to PP dropping the 'winning' outright odds. How did those punters get on? The ones who were cajoled/conned into thinking he had a chance? See any of them collecting winnings?:rolleyes:

Sorry Tayto...can't let yet another misrepresentation pass.
    That was in response to PP dropping the 'winning' outright odds. How did those punters get on? The ones who were cajoled/conned into thinking he had a chance? See any of them collecting winnings?:rolleyes:

Loads collecting Francie.
    Surprised you weren't on it yourself. Money for jam as they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Absolutely incredible . The Irish Media and Political establishments have taken one hell of a kicking .

Loads collecting Francie.
    Surprised you weren't on it yourself. Money for jam as they say.

Loads collecting on Casey winning? My Paddy Power has gotten generous. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Where did you grow up Francie, if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Loads collecting on Casey winning? My Paddy Power has gotten generous. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paddy Powers had bets on who would if not Michael D. I call it a great call by them. You sound like Mary Robinson former secretary who doesn't want to believe that people have different opinion that are not the establishments

Where did you grow up Francie, if you dont mind me asking?

Monaghan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Love how the media keeps calling Higgins a poet. Can anybody, without Googling, name one single poem by this "poet"?

Paddy Powers had bets on who would if not Michael D. I call it a great call by them. You sound like Mary Robinson former secretary who doesn't want to believe that people have different opinion that are not the establishments

Yes, I know that. But the comment Tayto posted to poke his cheap jibe was in relation to PP dropping the odds on Casey 'WINNING' the election by beating MDH.

That is a well versed stunt to cajole more money from the gullible. PP knew, there was no chance of that happening. Nobody who bet on Casey winning collected a cent.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just wondering about the embedded contradiction in your post.
    You admit that he jumped from 1% to 20% in a week.
    But then say he wasn't a single-issue candidate.
    Can you tell us what other issues he raised in that week that brought him from the 1% to the 20% if it was not the projection of vague demagoguery against travellers and people on the dole?

Genuine question

From what I understand, he had some stance on neutrality and also distancing ourselves from the EU. Which also seemed a bit contradictory - we should form stronger military alliances but not political ....

Just like Sean gallagher and Gavin Duffy he was a personality candidate, not an issue candidate.

You wont see one piece of election paraphernalia from casey which states an election issue. Its actually hilarious that this all started from an innocent question he was asked by a journalist and to which he gave his honest opinion stating he believed all Irish people should be treated equally and none should get anything above and beyond anybody else.

So you see, he didn't stand for election on this issue. He wasn't a single issue candidate, he was a no issue candidate. Joan freeman was a single issue candidate. LDR was a party political candidate, as was miggledy.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just like Sean gallagher and Gavin Duffy he was a personality candidate, not an issue candidate.

You wont see one piece of election paraphernalia from casey which states an election issue. Its actually hilarious that this all started from an innocent question he was asked by a journalist and to which he gave his honest opinion stating he believed all Irish people should be treated equally and none should get anything above and beyond anybody else.

So you see, he didn't stand for election on this issue. He wasn't a single issue candidate, he was a no issue candidate. Joan freeman was a single issue candidate. LDR was a party political candidate, as was miggledy.

Did you vote for him? If so, what made you choose him, given that he has no record of public service and has not issues and this magic personality apparently only emerged within the last week. Or were you just a fan of his from his days on the telly?

I didn't think he came across as an accomplished speaker or orator or well spoken in general. Seemed to be one of the weaker candidates on that front.

blinding wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible . The Irish Media and Political establishments have taken one hell of a kicking .

well, to be fair, if he got 49.99% and Mickey-D got 50.01% Casey would still be the loser and the status quo would prevail for another 7 years. By which time someone smarter, louder and "shout-ier" than Casey will have emerged

Last time around, Mickey-D received less than 200k first preference votes more than Sean Gallagher. This time around it currently stands at more than 600k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Leo waffling and deflecting on Casey vote.

As you well know it was 12/1 without Higgins.
    As I said, money for jam.

Love how the media keeps calling Higgins a poet. Can anybody, without Googling, name one single poem by this "poet"?

His poetry is Shyte imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I voted for Casey because it was an opportunity to send a message to the establishment that I'm sick of people scrounging off our system. I hate travellers for some very good reasons I shan't go into here. I don't like people who don't do a tap living off my hard earned taxes.

Higgins was never in any danger of losing this election. So it was a protest vote without any consequences. I have no interest whatsoever in Casey beyond what he said. If Duffy or Freeman had said the same thing, I'd have ticked 1 beside their name.

My hope is that this will start the ball rolling higher up the food chain. I'm sick of the Margaret Cash's popping out 7 more leeches for us to pay for while ordinary working people are being scourged.

• Advertisement

As you well know it was 12/1 without Higgins.
    As I said, money for jam.

Yes, and as you know I was NOT referring to that bet. I was referring to the bet on Casey winning outright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement