Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Livid here listening to that low sized windbag going into full flowery mode.

Pure waffle in that 'speech' vaccuos rhetoric of Mom and Apple Pie politics
    and faux concern for the working person.

Cannot understand how the electorate were taken in by that lad.

Beggars belief.

His height has nothing to do with anything. Reflects on you more than anyone.

As for Michael D, he's not my cup of tea but who did you honestly expect the electorate to vote for?

It was a dreadful ballot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

What parents "should" do is irrelevant when they are layabouts/drunks/scumbags. Innocent kids should not be suffering because their loser parents are not facing up to their responsibilities. Many here would clearly love to "teach" the parents a lesson by allowing the kids to suffer. The parents don't care about anything but their next fix (usually of alcohol or gambling). They are not, by any definition, good parents so expecting responsibility from such people is very idealistic.

If Irish people wonder how Irish society could have abandoned so many children to all that neglect and abuse in the 1950s and 60s, they really don't have to look too far in After Hours to see people supporting sacrificing kids in 2018 to lives of abuse and neglect.

No one here wants to see a kid suffer.
    If kids are suffering as a result of a parents failure, they should be taken off the parents and put into care. Maybe try and break the cycle of next fix/delinquency/criminality. Youre right, why should the kids suffer, and the state just shrug, and pick up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Brendan Bendar ... Michael d / Bertie / etc etc ....
    Just play the fools .
    Tell them what they want to hear .
    People in general are stupid.
    They can't think for themselves .
    They think Michael d represents them by what he says but in truth , he is the complete opposite to them.
    He is another do as I say and not as I do merchant .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Brendan Bendar ... Michael d / Bertie / etc etc ....
    Just play the fools .
    Tell them what they want to hear .
    People in general are stupid.
    They can't think for themselves .
    They think Michael d represents them by what he says but in truth , he is the complete opposite to them.
    He is another do as I say and not as I do merchant .

"Everyone is stupid but me"

Says, everyone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well as good as the Michael D fans think his second term was in terms of a landslide, it'll never compare to Mary McAleese's second term victory, that was unbelievable in terms of getting the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

lawred2 wrote: »

As for Michael D, he's not my cup of tea but who did you honestly expect the electorate to vote for?

It has I'm afraid, a little lad puffing himself up like a fcuking bullfrog has something to do with anything.

Especially when he waffles on about equality and such when I know that's complete rhetoric, based on his first term( which should have been his last)

I would have far more respect for Casey who tells the truth without the histrionics and faux concern

Thought the little hobbit was going to take off in the wind

• If that’s the description of the parents then they have no business reading a child and the child should be placed in state care where they have a better opportunity and chance at life

Often times state care is no better. Overcrowded housing units with young ones who are 100x worse. There’s no ideal solution to this kind of thing, unfortunately. TULSA are actively looking for foster families because these are the places children need to be when their parents aren’t up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It was, there is a bit of a unmerited public perception of Higgins as a poet and an orator.

Read the guardian for a review of his poetry.

My in laws were saying he was great tonight, I asked why and was told he obviously wrote this speech himself and he is the only one to do so.

Higgins like all of them uses speech writers (and pays heavily for them) but the romantic educated view of him is one people like to buy into him.

Fair play to him for winning with one of the least engaging campaigns ever, and not attending debates, as mentioned the other candidates were pretty uninspiring.

His speech however were like they were from a man elected for the first time and not one that has spent 7 years in the role. I hope he makes a real difference in the next 7 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Often times state care is no better. Overcrowded housing units with young ones who are 100x worse. There’s no ideal solution to this kind of thing, unfortunately. TULSA are actively looking for foster families because these are the places children need to be when their parents aren’t up to the task.
    Pump the cash into better facilities that the children actually benefit. Not lazy parents.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    It was, there is a bit of a unmerited public perception of Higgins as a poet and an orator.

My in laws were saying he was great tonight, I asked why and was told he obviously wrote this speech himself and he is the only one to do so.

Higgins like all of them uses speech writers (and pays heavily for them) but the romantic educated view of him is one people like to buy into him.

Fair play to him for winning with one of the least engaging campaigns ever, and not attending debates, as mentioned the other candidates were pretty uninspiring.

His speech however were like they were from a man elected for the first time and not one that has spent 7 years in the role. I hope he makes a real difference in the next 7 years

Two chances.

• Advertisement

• Pump the cash into better facilities that the children actually benefit. Not lazy parents.

I think the problem largely stems from the fact that a loving home is not a care home. These facilities are simply not meant to be homes they are for temporary (although often become till someone is 18) residence. Money isn’t really the problem, it’s people wishing to become foster families.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It has I'm afraid, a little lad puffing himself up like a fcuking bullfrog has something to do with anything.

Especially when he waffles on about equality and such when I know that's complete rhetoric, based on his first term( which should have been his last)

I would have far more respect for Casey who tells the truth without the histrionics and faux concern

You sound lovely

You sound lovely

Lovely...........lovely how?

• And never mind the fact the money you’d take from parents for child benefit wouldn’t cover the cost of housing children in separate homes anyway. Not even close.

Let’s take Margaret Cash and her 7 angles

140 p/m child benefit.

In a year that’s €11,760. We’ll say €12k for ease.

Per week that’s €230 and some change.

Per each child a week that’s €32 and some change.

Who do you think is gonna take a child and mind them, feed them, cloth them etc for €32 a week? I certainly wouldn’t. I was in a situation where my parents weren’t fit to mind me and my grandparents took over, I would never see a child in that situation, but if someone knocked on my door and asked me to take a child in for €32 a week I’d tell them to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

naughtb4 wrote: »

Nice one. Guardian article: Michael D Higgins is no poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Here is the thing. The ballot was ****e. I knew MDH would win but I voted for casey!? Why!? I've been unemployed long term and the dole supported me when I couldn'tget work, I was grateful, went back to college and am now working again. I hate nothing more than the people who sit around and claim dole thinking they don't have to work. Also I have worked a lot around the traveller population and while not all are criminals or scam artists enough in my personal experience are enough to give my vote to casey. He is right if you turn down a free house you don't get to set demands on how much land you get with it ffs

• what is it with this thing where people still don’t understand how jobseekers works these days?

It’s not like years ago where you could sign on draw your dole every week and that’ll do. Nowadays (and for years I might add) you have to PROVE to the officer you’re actually looking for work. They aren’t paying you to sit on your arse anymore, they can and will find out if you’re not actually searching for a job. I’m sure there’s some softer men or women in the social welfare offices but the fact is that you don’t just get to draw down every Monday and sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle. If you don’t supply them with proof you’re looking for work they do suspend the payment. It’s that simple.

I was in a situation where my parents weren’t fit to mind me and my grandparents took over, I would never see a child in that situation, but if someone knocked on my door and asked me to take a child in for €32 a week I’d tell them to **** off.

But what chance do Margaret Cash's children have? The mother left school at age 12, got married at 15, is barely literate, and has no respect for education. Both parents have criminal records. I'd bet my bottom dollar that none of the Cash children will ever sit the Leaving Cert. They have a much better chance of ending up in Mountjoy than in Trinity College.

Pumping money into supporting these families only perpetuates a downward spiral of uneducated, unemployable kids marrying in their teens and pumping out yet more babies to be supported by the taxpayer -- because they KNOW that the flow of free cash will never end.

• But what chance do Margaret Cash's children have? The mother left school at age 12, got married at 15, is barely literate, and has no respect for education. Both parents have criminal records. I'd bet my bottom dollar that none of the Cash children will ever sit the Leaving Cert. They have a much better chance of ending up in Mountjoy than in Trinity College.

Pumping money into supporting these families only perpetuates a downward spiral of uneducated, unemployable kids marrying in their teens and pumping out yet more babies to be supported by the taxpayer -- because they KNOW that the flow of free cash will never end.

You do understand that no ones getting rich of child benefit? I don’t think cash is laughing her way to the bank first Tuesday of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And never mind the fact the money you’d take from parents for child benefit wouldn’t cover the cost of housing children in separate homes anyway. Not even close.

Let’s take Margaret Cash and her 7 angles

140 p/m child benefit.

In a year that’s €11,760. We’ll say €12k for ease.

Per week that’s €230 and some change.

Per each child a week that’s €32 and some change.

Who do you think is gonna take a child and mind them, feed them, cloth them etc for €32 a week? I certainly wouldn’t. I was in a situation where my parents weren’t fit to mind me and my grandparents took over, I would never see a child in that situation, but if someone knocked on my door and asked me to take a child in for €32 a week I’d tell them to **** off.
    Foster parents get additional payment. Well worth it if the children are looked after and not doomed to repeat their parents choices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

How come 99 per cent of the travellers arent working then.
    In relation to Marg Cash, we know how much she is getting, what does her partner get, Im presuming he is a traveller and therefore isnt working either.
    Margaret has had her day with the loudspeaker, none of the media will touch her now, she is a wrecking ball.
    We should sll text Leo now and ask him to acknowledge Oeters achievement. Leo had no right whatsoever to tell us how to vite. He is keeping his smarmy head down today.

You do understand that no ones getting rich of child benefit? I don’t think cash is laughing her way to the bank first Tuesday of the month.

Despite leaving school at age 12 and having a criminal record, Cash has an income equivalent to someone earning €80k gross, plus a free house in Dublin in the area of her choosing. She's doing far better than many working people.

The child benefit is only part of the story. She is getting approx 50,000 euros into her bank account and then on one shoplifting spree she helps herself to three hundred euros worth of clothes that belong to someone else.

• Despite leaving school at age 12 and having a criminal record, Cash has an income equivalent to someone earning €80k gross, plus a free house in Dublin in the area of her choosing. She's doing far better than many working people.

As I understand it she’s living in a hotel or B&B? And the house is not free either to be fair. Not defending the slime ball just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Despite leaving school at age 12 and having a criminal record, Cash has an income equivalent to someone earning €80k gross, plus a free house in Dublin in the area of her choosing. She's doing far better than many working people.

Not really something to aim for though is it?

Probably a lot better than she could manage off her own back, but I still wouldn't swap places with her

Don't get me wrong, I think she probably gets too much. I just wouldn't swap with her. And I'd feel sorry for anyone who abandoned their own ambition to follow her path for the "easy life"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Wow, insulting a man based on his appearance, disgraceful. Says a lot about a person. You do that to all people who don't meet your standard appearance wise?

Not really something to aim for though is it?

Probably a lot better than she could manage off her own back, but I still wouldn't swap places with her

Don't get me wrong, I think she probably gets too much. I just wouldn't swap with her. And I'd feel sorry for anyone who abandoned their own ambition to follow her path for the "easy life"

She is quite happy with her set up and she probably feels sorry for you, well, not sorry, she despises you for your stupidity working all the hours God sends with less money to show for it than her.

As I understand it she’s living in a hotel or B&B? And the house is not free either to be fair. Not defending the slime ball just saying.

I haven't followed the story lately, but my understanding is that Dublin City Council moved her into a house several months ago. I appreciate your point that she's not rolling in money -- but she's undeniably milking the system, and has a decent standard of living compared to some working people who are struggling to support one or two kids and make ends meet amid escalating rental costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Benzino wrote: »
    Wow, insulting a man based on his appearance, disgraceful. Says a lot about a person. You do that to all people who don't meet your standard appearance wise?

Gouger talk behind the shield of his keyboard. Really cowardly.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't want to be her, either. But my issue with Traveller culture is that it kills all ambition beyond petty criminality and leeching off the taxpayer. Taking kids out of school at age 12 and marrying them off in their teens pretty much ensures they won't make much of their lives other than perpetuating a downward spiral.

That said, if Travellers started to go to college and get professional jobs, their "culture" would be dead within a generation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement