Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Travellers came onto my land and stole my electric fence and the rugs and head collars off my horses they are not fair people .

I was in the courts last year paying 1000 euro for a barrister and a hearty traveller rocked up in a new range rover with the legal aid solicitor why? why free legal aid? free housing free furniture buggies if you want to navigate the welfare system dont go to citizens advice go to a traveller !!
    free loading thieves and thugs......
    you have it easy,
    they have been on a nearly decade long campaign of intimidation against my neighbor, his home is now like fort knox, with a young wife and young children,
    often wake up at 4 or 5 am to hear a diesel van ticking over on the road outside

and 3 years back they raided my dear elderly neighbour, for the second time,
    he died 3 days later from the delayed shock

just to add this has nothing to do with the women or the children, it is wrong to paint them all with that brush

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry I don't know but just a heads up it is on Virgin One at 10.00.

Don't miss it. This is history in the making.

Virgin Media must be thanking there lucky stars up to yesterday it was a dour debate with maybe a few dagger stares between Kenny and Gallaagher and now they are on a goldmine. RTE will be hoping it will stay until next Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

On yer bike. The PC crap is gone now. Time to call it what it is..

Do you live anywhere near a group of Travellers in their caravans. Do you? :cool:

The correct phrase is "Move along".

Not to be confused with "Get up that garden ya mink ya"

Yours etc,
    PC brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

PC is not PC ;)

It's ironic that the referendum on blasphemy takes place on the same day as the presidential election, with Casey being slated for the 21st century blasphemy of political incorrectness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

Sorry I don't know but just a heads up it is on Virgin One at 10.00.

Don't miss it. This is history in the making.

You clearly have no understanding of what 'history' is if that's your assessment. I'll also remind you we're discussing a candidate who is currently support within the margin of error in the polls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

On yer bike. The PC crap is gone now. Time to call it what it is..

Do you live anywhere near a group of Travellers in their caravans. Do you? :cool:

you cant judge a whole group of people by the actions of a few. that is fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting to see the Rte news say that his traveller comments are overshadowing the debate.....if they'd stop pushing it to the top of the news it might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ya the place they are in belong to receivers so the council would not get involved only now are, the garda will do nothing as private property and the receivers well the lest said about them the better. Things seem to be rolling a bit now (maybe the receiver is looking to sell) so in a year or 2 maybe

Awful. But it seems there might be light at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck.

Should not have to endure this though. That is why Peter Casey deserves kudos.

He did not criticise Travellers for being Travellers IMV, but had a say as to their dubious ethnic status, and behaviour in comparison to non Travellers.

Could you imagine if I tried to build a house on land I didn't own, or place a caravan/mobile home on that land. I'd be evicted.

Different rules seem to apply to Travellers though. Maybe they scare people off. That is not right.

Hope it works out for you.

autumn2018 wrote: »
    you have it easy,
    they have been on a nearly decade long campaign of intimidation against my neighbor, his home is now like fort knox, with a young wife and young children,
    often wake up at 4 or 5 am to hear a diesel van ticking over on the road outside

and 3 years back they raided my dear elderly neighbour, for the second time,
    he died 3 days later from the delayed shock

just to add this has nothing to do with the women or the children, it is wrong to paint them all with that brush

Who are 'they'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ooh that was a bad RTE news interview with Paddy for Pavee Point if it turns out that the councils side of story is true regarding the land. Sloppy research on behalf of RTE too and Keelin looked a bit silly as she insinuated that Paddy was wilfully misrepresenting the affair due to his awful prejudice.

This thing about horses being part of the culture is even more silly when one considers that half the county is occupied by farmers that keep all sorts of livestock as well. I come from a farming background and I just can't imagine that if I were in need of housing I'd demand some acreage to keep me cows. I could certainly claim it's part of my culture for generations actually and that would be true...but I'd be laughed out of the council HQ if I did and I wouldn't anyway.

• Advertisement

you cant judge a whole group of people by the actions of a few. that is fascist.

On this occasion I have no problem with being called anything. The truth is out there now. No one was prepared to say it up to now.

And IMV it is the actions of the MANY that taint the few WRT Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MFPM wrote: »
    You clearly have no understanding of what 'history' is if that's your assessment. I'll also remind you we're discussing a candidate who is currently support within the margin of error in the polls.

You clearly haven't read my posts on this thread.

I've been following politics for long enough recognise something very unusual is happening in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

That poll was from before his comments.
    Be interesting to see how it changes after today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

AllForIt wrote: »
    This thing about horses being part of the culture is even more silly when one considers that half the county is occupied by farmers that keep all sorts of livestock as well. I come from a farming background and I just can't imagine that if I were in need of housing I'd demand some acreage to keep me cows. I could certainly claim it's part of my culture for generations actually and that would be true...but I'd be laughed out of the council HQ if I did and I wouldn't anyway.

Yeah but you're not a legally protected ethnic minority....

See....that's how that works....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Few....................................... :D you are a card.

dloob wrote: »
    That poll was from before his comments.
    Be interesting to see how it changes after today.

It will have negligible effect. Casey's campaign is over which is precisely why he made his comments today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mfceiling wrote: »
    Do you think bare knuckle boxing is a good way to solve disputes?
    it's better then using a knife or gun.

Ladies and Gentlemen, end of the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The woman with the bags is AH

You clearly haven't read my posts on this thread.

I've been following politics for long enough recognise something very unusual is happening in this election.

What might that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

On the point offering status, It is now seemingly racist to point out they are Irish and culturally so, a sub group but still Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Good 'man' - he needs all the help he can get languishing within margin of error support.

He's at 2%
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/higgins-holds-huge-poll-lead-over-all-rivals-1.3665774
    So he goes down the route of trying to get people riled up so he sticks out from the crowd. That's all this is. It's pandering to a certain part of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What might that be?

Away with you and argue with the Casey fan club.
    I'm not your target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

CwrD0QoXAAE2ryH.jpg

From 1% to 60% plus? :rolleyes:

Not that Casey has a hope of being elected (but stranger things have happened), I think this intervention has got people thinking and enabled to speak out.

That has to be a good thing. We should not be afraid.

Away with you and argue with the Casey fan club.
    I'm not your target.

I didn't ask you about Casey, I asked what was unusual about the election, still waiting on the 'history' too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Grayson wrote: »
    He's at 2%
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/higgins-holds-huge-poll-lead-over-all-rivals-1.3665774
    So he goes down the route of trying to get people riled up so he sticks out from the crowd. That's all this is. It's pandering to a certain part of the electorate.

he's desperately trying to emulate his hero Mr. Trump by appealing to the least educated, and most ignorant in society

Not that Casey has a hope of being elected (but stranger things have happened), I think this intervention has got people thinking and enabled to speak out.

That has to be a good thing. We should not be afraid.

Utter nonsense. Since when have people been afraid to speak out on Travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

AllForIt wrote: »
    I come from a farming background and I just can't imagine that if I were in need of housing I'd demand some acreage to keep me cows. I could certainly claim it's part of my culture for generations actually and that would be true...but I'd be laughed out of the council HQ if I did and I wouldn't anyway.

I infer from your choice of words that you don't actually have any cows. But still.

The resolution "in keeping with your culture" if you had had any would be that you'd go on the Six-One, backed by assorted members of the IFA, sobbing your little heart out about how they were part of the family, so they were. They you'd get a good enough deal for compo for them all being packed off to slaughter, and job done.

Not clear how that really helps us with the Tipp Travellers and their horses, all the same.

CwrD0QoXAAE2ryH.jpg

That's a photo with no context or info...can you outline what it's depicting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I responded to a poster who was critiquing someone over making generalisations yet endorsing someone else who was doing the very same thing, that's hypocrisy in most people's books.

You understand now?

I then explained the difference between the two generalisations.

The first one, a generalisation of 63 million people who voted for Trump, is baseless. The second one, Casey's generalisation of Traveller's, can be justified as it's based on real facts and figures.

The two are therefore incomparable. To endorse one and critique the other is not in the slightest sense hypocritical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement