Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

he's desperately trying to emulate his hero Mr. Trump by appealing to the least educated, and most ignorant in society

Yeah his hero.....

Massively incorrect https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/ireland-presidential-campaign-debate-rte-13320221.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Not that Casey has a hope of being elected (but stranger things have happened), [...]
    ... when? 500/1 shot, last time I heard.
    I think this intervention has got people thinking and enabled to speak out.

That has to be a good thing. We should not be afraid.

Just like the election of Trump has "enabled the people to speak out". Some horrific people about some horrific things, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MFPM wrote: »
    I didn't ask you about Casey, I asked what was unusual about the election, still waiting on the 'history' too?

Long wait.

You are like a guy I knew who went looking for a gang who beat up his mate.
    He couldn't find them and ended up hitting a young fellow who was sitting on a wall minding his own business.

Asked why he did it he said "I had to hit someone".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Grayson wrote: »
    He's at 2%
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/higgins-holds-huge-poll-lead-over-all-rivals-1.3665774
    So he goes down the route of trying to get people riled up so he sticks out from the crowd. That's all this is. It's pandering to a certain part of the electorate.

I think it is very refreshing.

There has been nothing in politics at either Prez or Dail level that has engendered such a debate up to now.

Quite healthy I think. We have been muzzled for far too long by the SJW media.

You only have to look at the fragrant Margaret Cash et all to see how our views on this were not published/spoken about/debated anywhere on MSM except on Niall Boylan on 4FM. The rest of them..... well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Travellers came onto my land and stole my electric fence and the rugs and head collars off my horses they are not fair people .

I was in the courts last year paying 1000 euro for a barrister and a hearty traveller rocked up in a new range rover with the legal aid solicitor why? why free legal aid? free housing free furniture buggies if you want to navigate the welfare system dont go to citizens advice go to a traveller !!
    free loading thieves and thugs......

You were in court and paid €1,000 for a barrister? Hope he got you off for that €€€

I'm not aware of any legal aid solicitors travelling with their clients! Thats a new one on me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

Noveight wrote: »
    I then explained the difference between the two generalisations.

The first one, a generalisation of 63 million people who voted for Trump, is baseless. The second one, Casey's generalisation of Traveller's, can be justified as it's based on real facts and figures.

The two are therefore incomparable. To endorse one and critique the other is not in the slightest sense hypocritical.

The numbers are irrelevant, it's the method that was being critiqued, try to understand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Utter nonsense. Since when have people been afraid to speak out on Travellers?

the level of vitriol and abuse here is shocking.
    if you dare say a single discriminatory thing about, Brazilians. Nigerians, Poles, Eastern Europeans, or foreigners in general you'll be immediately deleted and/or banned from AH, but you can say what you like about Travellers with impunity.

Totally unfair.
    Totally biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Grayson wrote: »
    He's at 2%
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/higgins-holds-huge-poll-lead-over-all-rivals-1.3665774
    So he goes down the route of trying to get people riled up so he sticks out from the crowd. That's all this is. It's pandering to a certain part of the electorate.

And we love it. Good man Peter Casey. A public figure who stood up and spoke the truth when cowards were too scared to speak out.

That's a photo with no context or info...can you outline what it's depicting?

Go back and read the thread. There was context to that picture.

elperello wrote: »
    Long wait.

You are like a guy I knew who went looking for a gang who beat up his mate.
    He couldn't find them and ended up hitting a young fellow who was sitting on a wall minding his own business.

Asked why he did it he said "I had to hit someone".

Great diversion by way of your little anecdote, the bottom line is you still have refused to answer two questions, ah well, I think we can draw our own conclusions from that evasion.

• Advertisement

What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have always wondered why the Irish health services have never tackled the issue of inbreeding amongst the traveller community? I have heard plenty on the topic in the UK, especially within the Pakistani population where marriage is often confined within its group and in New York the Jewish community often undergo DNA tests to ascertain if the partners are related, but I have never once heard the issue raised about Irish travellers.

And when I say inbreeding I don't mean brother/sister I mean 2nd cousin/3rd cousin. It has very damaging impacts in regards to IQ of the children and risk of disability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

he's desperately trying to emulate his hero Mr. Trump by appealing to the least educated, and most ignorant in society

Oh we’re all ignorant and uneducated now??

Keep it going:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Boards, here slanderous generations against minorities is ok. Use a metaphor in your argument, Down with that sort of thing!

Does boards even have a charter or is it just mob rule now???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I didn't ask you about Casey, I asked what was unusual about the election, still waiting on the 'history' too?

Your tone over the last few pages is aggressive and quite condescending.

I hope you don’t speak to people in the real world like this and in fact I imagine you are just trolling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is there an original source?

And we love it. Good man Peter Casey. A public figure who stood up and spoke the truth when cowards were too scared to speak out.

Exactly.

Most people don't care a whit about the Prez election, but they listen when people speak their lingo. Or indeed when people have the courage to speak about things that have been muzzled for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The numbers are irrelevant, it's the method that was being critiqued, try to understand!

Remove the numbers and my point remains the very same. A baseless generalisation is incomparable to a substantiated one.

You're incorrect to call hypocrisy on someone who endorses one while demeaning another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Is Peter Casey the epitome of the 'Irish dream'? I've heard enough about the American dream all my life. Is he a text book definition of our version of it?

He grew up when our country was fairly poor. Was basically forced to leave here in pursuit of a better life. Built himself up from essentially nothing in a foreign country to become a successful business man. And is still loyal to Ireland all these years later. Bringing yourself from having not very much to having more than enough looks to me like the only happy Irish story that exists. Good for him. :)

*I don't agree with trying to marginalise travellers. Many of them are decent people and I don't want anyone to put them down.

You need to get real, resorting to cheap point scoring. How long would you endure a fleet of caravans near your abode, children running wild and dogs nipping at your heel. Come down off that ivory tower.

• Advertisement

Your tone over the last few pages is aggressive and quite condescending.

I hope you don’t speak to people in the real world like this and in fact I imagine you are just trolling...

There are people spewing unbelievable abuse at the Travelling community with a spate of unsubstantiated posts and rotten language and you take me to task over tone and aggression...get of the stage and get some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Noveight wrote: »
    The first one, a generalisation of 63 million people who voted for Trump, is baseless.
    Let's be at least vaguely accurate here. Clinton didn't say it about Trump voters -- election hadn't happened yet. It was about his "supporters". (A vague enough term. I've lost times of the number of times I've been told by people obviously shilling for a particular party that they somehow weren't "supporters", as they'd not paid up their subs, or some such rationalisation.) And her entire point was that it wasn't all of them.
    But the "other" basket – the other basket – and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but — he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

If you add up the racists, sexists, homophobes, xenophobes, Islamophobes and " you name its", can you honestly say that's not if anything a conservative (as it were) estimate of half of the hard-core Trump-rally-chanting contingent?
    The second one, Casey's generalisation of Traveller's, can be justified as it's based on real facts and figures.
    Also nope! See... well, the entire non-Traveller-bashing part of the thread.
    The two are therefore incomparable. To endorse one and critique the other is not in the slightest sense hypocritical.
    You have that right. Just have the two entirely reversed.

You need to get real, resorting to cheap point scoring. Who long would you endure a fleet of caravans near your abode, children running wild and dogs nipping at your heel. Come down off that ivory tower.

What ivory tower would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Watch the 9pm news on rte. Wow. They have moved it down to about the 8th story. Just before the news break.
    One gets the sense that the media will kill this story because it is actually backfiring spectacularly.
    The usual media vultures jumped all over it this item this morning and they didn't get it. What they have gotten is the opposite.
    So they're likely killing it since there's nothing to be gained from it. With plenty to lose.
    19 people killed in Crimea gets in the news before it. Absolutely wow.

What ivory tower would that be?

The one encased in bubble wrap.

What was it?

A poster said that I was the loud minority. Someone replied with that picture to show that not all 'Trump supporters' are the minority that some leftists think. I'd quote it for better effect but I'm on my phone.

Try_harder wrote: »
    Boards, here slanderous generations against minorities is ok. Use a metaphor in your argument, Down with that sort of thing!

Does boards even have a charter or is it just mob rule now???

I am delighted to see that the mods have let this thread just go and go. How times have changed..... for the better.

We all need a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are people spewing unbelievable abuse at the Travelling community with a spate of unsubstantiated posts and rotten language and you take me to task over tone and aggression...get of the stage and get some perspective.

Seriously now.
    I posted here at lunchtime calling out Casey and just because I posted the time and channel of the debate saying it was history your going for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Watch the 9pm news on rte. Wow. They have moved it down to about the 8th story. Just before the news break.
    One gets the sense that the media will kill this story because it is actually backfiring spectacularly.
    The usual media vultures jumped all over it this item this morning and they didn't get it. What they have gotten is the opposite.
    So they're likely killing it since there's nothing to be gained from it. With plenty to lose.
    19 people killed in Crimea gets in the news before it. Absolutely wow.

Welcome to our new Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So let me get this right, you're condemning someone who made a sweeping generalisation about Trump supporters but you're supporting Casey who made sweeping generalisations about Travellers.....you're either very confused or just a hypocrite...which is it?

Trust me, I'm far from confused. I work in a prison so I know all about Travellers. They make up a massive,massive portion of the prison population compared to their numbers in society. Is that just prejudice or is that just reality? No confusion here. None.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement