Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Casey spoke the truth and it resonated with the rural population and many middle income workers. His vote was a protest vote.
    Also the timing suited him. People were fed up and angry at the three "C's" i.e. The necks of Collins, Connors and Cash who want everything for free but contribute nothing. They happened to be constantly in the News and were seemingly the "media darlings" and this was rubbing people the wrong way. I think Casey happened on this by chance and it paid off.

If he runs as an Independent I doubt he'll succeed. But if someone with a political brain comes in and seizes the opportunity they could indeed reap the rewards as the people who voted for Casey have really nobody in the established parties speaking up for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

RTÉ has a farmer on talking about burglaries from travelers.

So refreshing to hear thanks Peter Casey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Peter Casey and his Vote have brought this issue to the fore . Thank you Peter Casey .

The only way this will stay to the fore is when a Rural Law and Order party is formed to keep it to the fore . The other political parties have had long enough to deal with it . They haven’t .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am delighted! He will take seats from he ff and fg axis of scum. That said , I might give ff candidate a second preference. Get that Snake Taoiseach out while we are at the job ...

This talk of law and order. They need masses of new prison spaces or nothing can be done ...

blinding wrote: »
    Peter Casey and his Vote have brought this issue to the fore . Thank you Peter Casey .

The only way this will stay to the fore is when a Rural Law and Order party is formed to keep it to the fore . The other political parties have had long enough to deal with it . They haven’t .
    Renua have advocated for a three strike policy since they were formed, afaik...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Another Week of the Campaign it would have been a lot more .

Leo , at least said he got the message . Law and Order in Rural Areas is going to be big in the next election .

Yeah but a few more Gardaí or Garda stations wont make a blind bit of difference. The criminals have zero fear of the Gardaí and the Gardaí themselves are a useless shower of dossers with a healthy dose of corruption thrown in. The most they will do is hand out traffic offences.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Renua have advocated for a three strike policy since they were formed, afaik...
    They got bogged down in too much social stuff . There is a universal desire for Law and Order in the country . This will not be divisive as these other issues were .

Even if they are single issue candidates so long as that issue is Law and Order the support is there an Peter Casey has shown .

Yeah but a few more Gardaí or Garda stations wont make a blind bit of difference. The criminals have zero fear of the Gardaí and the Gardaí themselves are a useless shower of dossers with a healthy dose of corruption thrown in. The most they will do is hand out traffic offences.
    Mobile Armed Garda Units are the way to go . Ya can’t expect the Guards to confront dangerous criminals in the dark of night without the ability to protect themselves .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Mobile Armed Garda Units are the way to go . Ya can’t expect the Guards to confront dangerous criminals in the dark of night without the ability to protect themselves .

Followed shortly by sad faced kids and mother saying that Daddy was shot just going to work to get food for the babbies and mammy.

When "work" was tying up and robbing a 90 year old living alone.

Cue compo claim - which would sadly be paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

I'm interested in rural crime in Ireland.
    I've seen many on here talking about this topic.
    Could you please share where you're getting your information on rural crime so as I could find out more about it.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

Delighted to see Casey get support although I'm dismayed to see him talking of joining FF. This is totally at odds with his welfare dependency comments as Fianna Fail are the ones who have created the welfare culture in the first place by throwing money at the welfare system over the last 40 years to buy votes. Granted FG have followed in their footsteps but if Casey joined FG there might be some chance of him pushing for a more worker friendly and pro law and order policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Or won't

96fm had on Michael Martin, Jonathan O'Brien, Donnacha O' Laoghaire, Kathleen Lynch and Jerry Buttimer

All reaction was still that Caseys comments need to be condemned and that they will look at the result

He has been offered renua leadership which is great. I honestly never want to vote fg or ff ever. BUT I will vote for ff candidate if it means they’d win more seats and get the worlds largest liar and narcissist varadkar OUT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

That farmer could be my Dad or many of our neighbours-Tipp had the highest PC vote and we weren’t surprised. Imo, it was def the Traveller comments. We are living in fear-Gardaí are doing their best but drug busts, robberies are becoming the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

be careful what you wish for...how long would it be before someone who wasn't a criminal got shot by mistake? ….then the sh1t would hit the fan fore sure

I'm interested in rural crime in Ireland.
    I've seen many on here talking about this topic.
    Could you please share where you're getting your information on rural crime so as I could find out more about it.
    Thanks.
    I could point you to one of my neighbours who had tools robbed out of his (locked) shed a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

I mentioned Renua option yesterday. Interesting if not unexpected development.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He’s been offered the Renua leadership!!

Excellent move my Renua.

The other choice they had was to wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Danzy wrote: »
    The other choice they had was to wind up.

Wont make a difference, Renua are a nothing party and this wont change that for them.

I could point you to one of my neighbours who had tools robbed out of his (locked) shed a few weeks ago.

Why?
    Does your neighbour have the info I'm looking for?
    If not, it's the equivalent, of finding out about road safety by asking some guy who crashed his car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Peter Casey spoke about looking out for those who get up early in the morning for work.
    So did someone else, almost verbatim.
    Leo Varadkar.

In both cases, the usual talking heads and media types came out tut tutting to condemn it and to portray it as something to be ashamed of saying.

Leo, as he usually does, chose to lead by social media/ twitter/ media consensus. He clarifieid (rowed back) that he didn't mean what it sounded like.

Peter Casey didn't. He stuck to his message and backed himself because he believed in what he was saying.

Who would you rather having leading you? Someone who bounces from one opinion to the next, has no real value or beliefs of their own from which they are willing to stand over, or someone who believes in the validity of the view they have formed and will face down the bullying media heads?

DChancer wrote: »
    Wont make a difference, Renua are a nothing party and this wont change that for them.

I agree but there is a chance for Casey to build something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Who would you rather having leading you?

Certainly not a knob head like Peter Casey!
    A populist hate monger spreading divisive drivel to fools who really should know better.
    He should fcuk back of Murica now, after that's where he pays his taxes, not here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farmers-will-take-law-into-own-hands-if-garda-dont-act-37472815.html

Not very familiar with North County Dublin , I know it’s not Dalkey or Killiney but this can’t be very far from Fine Gael heartlands in South Dublin .

Why?
    Does your neighbour have the info I'm looking for?
    If not, it's the equivalent, of finding out about road safety by asking some guy who crashed his car.
    Yes, you get first hand information!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

DChancer wrote: »

This is a country where a handful of independents can make or break a Government. A strong showing for a law and order / welfare reform party could make a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

hurler32 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farmers-will-take-law-into-own-hands-if-garda-dont-act-37472815.html

Not very familiar with North County Dublin , I know it’s not Dalkey or Killiney but this can’t be very far from Fine Gael heartlands in South Dublin .

It may as well be in cork for all the difference it makes to FG supporters in south county dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Not good for attracting the Rural Law and Order Vote .

I don't see how SF would pick up votes from those interested in law and order - their members were involved in the murdering of serving Guards and prison officers.

I don't see how SF would pick up votes from those interested in law and order - their members were involved in the murdering of serving Guards and prison officers.

That's nice.

• Advertisement

Yes, you get first hand information!

I'm looking to know-
    - is rural crime getting better or worse,
    -why it's going the direction it's going
    - where are the rural crime hot spots
    -do people have accurate view as to the way rural crime is going
    -do people have accurate view as to why it's getting better or worse
    -if people have an inaccurate view, why is this, who's spreading the lies?
    -why are they spreading lies if that s the case
    -

You know the usual stuff people need to have an informed view on the issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement