Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I'm looking to know-
    - is rural crime getting better or worse,
    -why it's going the direction it's going
    - where are the rural crime hot spots
    -do people have accurate view as to the way rural crime is going
    -do people have accurate view as to why it's getting better or worse
    -if people have an inaccurate view, why is this, who's spreading the lies?
    -why are they spreading lies if that s the case
    -

You know the usual stuff people need to have an informed view on the issue

- is rural crime getting better or worse, Worse

-why it's going the direction it's going because when someone tries to solve it by pointing the finger in the right direction, they are shouted down as racists.

- where are the rural crime generally where there's a confluence of high Traveller numbers, spread out properties where the occupants are elderly/infirm/alone and a lack of Gardai locally

-do people have accurate view as to the way rural crime is going Yes, sadly

-do people have accurate view as to why it's getting better or worse as above

-if people have an inaccurate view, why is this, who's spreading the lies? Vested interest groups (PP e.g), media either who either don't care or who prefer their Dublin-centric bias, politicians who need the votes of certain dodgier sections of their community and pay lip service to the elderly constituents but really could not care less.

-why are they spreading lies if that s the case See above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Looking at the court section of local newspapers will give you some idea of whats going on. For reasons unknown though many court cases even some serious ones are not reported in local newspapers.

It's worth checking out the local district and circuit court for a look, then cross checking the paper the following week to see what made it in and what didn't. Get in early usually packed and more entertainment than you'll find on TV or netflix !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

honeybear wrote: »
    That farmer could be my Dad or many of our neighbours-Tipp had the highest PC vote and we weren’t surprised. Imo, it was def the Traveller comments. We are living in fear-Gardaí are doing their best but drug busts, robberies are becoming the norm.

Did you notice something on that discussion?

Nobody asked 'Who are these people' who are doing all this stealing and trespassing.
    RTE so scared to upset our ethnic minority. I have to say, I'm delighted Peter Casey said what he did, that element of travellers who are criminal need to be dealt with, harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nobody asked 'Who are these people' who are doing all this stealing and trespassing. RTE so scared to upset our ethnic minority. I have to say, I'm delighted Peter Casey said what he did, that element of travellers who are criminal need to be dealt with, harshly.

What does harshly mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Democracy always wins in a, well, fair democratic election.
    Looking at some of my twitter feed, you'd swear there was a failure, by "allowing" Casey run.
    (Looking at you Green Party)

I agree, it was a triumph for democracy.
    A man who ventilated a contentious view was denounced and derided by the entire MSM and political establishment, yet still garnered >20% of the vote.

Thats true democracy.
    People call it "populism" if they disagree with the contencious issue/canditate, when they cant come to terms with the outcome.
    Its actually democracy.

What Casey achieved is remarkable and it is remarkable statement for the voters who voted for him.

He was lambasted by the media, he was ridiculed, he was labelled a racist, a bigot, a Trump character for daring to say what a hell of a lot of people see as the basic truth.

Every political party targeted him and yet he as a candidate did better than the candidate of the third biggest political party in our parliament.

Hell he spent feck all on his campaign in comparison to the winner or I bet the sinn fein candidate.

And the real kicker here is he did not come across polished, he actually often came across ill prepared and out of his depth at times.
    But most importantly for a lot of people he came across as honest and brave.

Yes brave, because it took bravery to stand against every media hack, every twitter boll**ks, every political *****r that was calling him the hier apparent to Trump and the grand wizard of the KKK.

He did not back down in the face of overwhelming disparaging attacks from the media, the political elites, the "right on" lackies.

And for that he got the support of a lot of people who are equally tired of the media and the usual wheeled out lackies.
    There is no triumph in a single issue candidate only getting 20% of a 40-50% turnout. Let's knock that one on the head.

80% did not vote for him and while I disagree that the 'entire' media and political establishment denounced him, what would you expect in a country where 80% voted for the exact opposite of Casey?
    There is a reason these views do not make it onto the airwaves that often...because the overwhelming majority of the population DON'T hold them.

Boll**ks and you know it well that your favourite party are scratching themselves wondering why so many of their voters decided to vote for Peter Casey rather than the new look feminist image of the party that was put forward.
    I've only heard one politician, Ming Flanagans replacement I think, voice any kind of reasoned thought on why Casey got such a vote. ...

That is because Fitzmaurice knows damn well what is going on in his constituency.
    He knows why people lock themselves in their bedrooms at night, sometimes with a gun, fearful of the sound of a bashed down door or broken window.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Also worth noting that national media like the Indo are much quicker to report on cases in Dublin courts than down the country. Probably due to convenience, think they lift stuff from the Herald. I've seen and heard of some horrific assaults, burglaries etc locally that didn't get the national attention warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Peter Casey spoke about looking out for those who get up early in the morning for work.
    So did someone else, almost verbatim.
    Leo Varadkar.

In both cases, the usual talking heads and media types came out tut tutting to condemn it and to portray it as something to be ashamed of saying.

Leo, as he usually does, chose to lead by social media/ twitter/ media consensus. He clarifieid (rowed back) that he didn't mean what it sounded like.

Peter Casey didn't. He stuck to his message and backed himself because he believed in what he was saying.

Who would you rather having leading you? Someone who bounces from one opinion to the next, has no real value or beliefs of their own from which they are willing to stand over, or someone who believes in the validity of the view they have formed and will face down the bullying media heads?

Varadkar had to row back, when FF heard his comments they took a big step to the left. But you’re right, he should have stood firm.

Watch now as FF reinvent themselves as a right wing party, same way they reinvented themselves as a Republican Party a few years ago when it suited.

Who's gonna pay for the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Farmers 'will take law into own hands' if gardaí don’t act
    Farmers warn they will take the law into their own hands if rural crime continues to go under the radar
    Meeting held in response to growing number of criminal incidents targeting farmers and the wider rural community
    Individuals known to use the exercising lurcher dogs as an excuse to monitor a property before a theft
    'If you don’t take some sort of action, you’re going to have what happened in the west of Ireland' - farmer

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farmers-will-take-law-into-own-hands-if-garda-dont-act-37472815.html

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What does harshly mean?

It means not a slap on the wrist, not suspended sentencing, actual jail time. Investigation on the proceeds of criminal enterprise. Tax evasion investigation.

That OK with you?

• Advertisement

It means not a slap on the wrist, not suspended sentencing, actual jail time. Investigation on the proceeds of criminal enterprise. Tax evasion investigation.

How do we pay for this? Does extending jail time actually reduce crime rates?

Who's gonna pay for the wall?

Taxpayers. You'd hardly expect the non-compliant ,members of our society to fork out would you? They will want disturbance money for the inconvenience of having to scale the wall. Probably some sort of grant for ladders also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I reckon both Mary Lou and Martin will be gone after the next election. Another 5 years of Leo and FG it looks like. I don't want another 5 minutes of this government nevermind 5 years.

For any real change in this country we need change in media first I think. Sadly the only real change we've had in recent times is Journal.Ie and it's more liberal than the Irish Times. Soon enough they'll probably close the comments section like the Indo because they aren't PC enough.
    Real changes. What are these?

Could you outline.…say 4 of the “Real changes” that you say we need?

you don’t want another “5 minutes “ of this Govt.

Outline your alternative

Ta ta.
    Also worth noting that national media like the Indo are much quicker to report on cases in Dublin courts than down the country. Probably due to convenience, think they lift stuff from the Herald. I've seen and heard of some horrific assaults, burglaries etc locally that didn't get the national attention warranted.

You seem to be having difficulty throwing up these “real changes” and alternative govt from the ones you don’t want “another five minutes of”?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Varadkar had to row back, when FF heard his comments they took a big step to the left. But you’re right, he should have stood firm.

Watch now as FF reinvent themselves as a right wing party, same way they reinvented themselves as a Republican Party a few years ago when it suited.

FF have been Fianna Fáil the Republican Party, it’s official name since it’s foundation in 1926.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

It reduces the rate that those in jail offend

Taxpayers. You'd hardly expect the non-compliant ,members of our society to fork out would you? They will want disturbance money for the inconvenience of having to scale the wall. Probably some sort of grant for ladders also.

I think the Mexicans should. Lock'em up, Lock'em up, Lock'em up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

DChancer wrote: »
    Wont make a difference, Renua are a nothing party and this wont change that for them.

This is a country where a handful of independents can make or break a Government. A strong showing for a law and order / welfare reform party could make a real difference.
    Agreed but Casey is the wrong man to lead the charge. He will kill it before it has a chance to begin. He is simply not coherent enough to lead any 'movement'.

DChancer wrote: »
    Wont make a difference, Renua are a nothing party and this wont change that for them.

This is a country where a handful of independents can make or break a Government. A strong showing for a law and order / welfare reform party could make a real difference.
    Agreed but Casey is the wrong man to lead the charge. He will kill it before it has a chance to begin. He is simply not coherent enough to lead any 'movement'.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    FF have been Fianna F the Republican Party, it’s official name since it’s foundation in 1926.

I’m aware of their history. Calling yourself something doesn’t necessarily make it true.

I’m aware of their history. Calling yourself something doesn’t necessarily make it true.

You say that FF are going to reinvent themselves as a right wing party like they reinvented themselves as a Republican Party a few years ago. At what point do you think the republican reinvention took place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Danzy wrote: »
    I agree but there is a chance for Casey to build something.
    He would be better starting from scratch IMO.....unless he wants to go back to polling 1/2%...Renua wouldnt exactly encourage too many people to vote for him...

Ah stop. Fianna Fail will never reinvent themselves. They are a busted flush who only do ok on account of there not being a credible opposition in dysfunctional Irish politics.

Ah stop. Fianna Fail will never reinvent themselves. They are a busted flush who only do ok on account of there not being a credible opposition in dysfunctional Irish politics.

They are certainly not going to reinvent themselves as anything resembling right wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I'm interested in rural crime in Ireland.
    I've seen many on here talking about this topic.
    Could you please share where you're getting your information on rural crime so as I could find out more about it.
    Thanks.

I hope you know how lucky you are that you arent living in fear in rural Ireland.

Over three hundred thousand people are living through the experience you want described to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

It might help to reduce the number of travelling children being born and thats surely a very important benefit to the rest of society.

You say that FF are going to reinvent themselves as a right wing party like they reinvented themselves as a Republican Party a few years ago. At what point do you think the republican reinvention took place?

When the 1916 anniversary celebrations took place FF were all over it, now; not a dickie bird.

• oceanman wrote: »
    be careful what you wish for...how long would it be before someone who wasn't a criminal got shot by mistake? ….then the sh1t would hit the fan fore sure

As it stands people who aren’t criminals are getting beat half to death and robbed in their homes. I’d take the chances to be honest. If I were a Garda I certainly wouldn’t approach a gang of travellers unarmed bar an extendable batton.

When the 1916 anniversary celebrations took place FF were all over it, now; not a dickie bird.

So you’re saying that the 101st and 102nd anniversaries should have been celebrated with the same vigor as the centenary celebrations 2 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So you’re saying that the 101st and 102nd anniversaries should have been celebrated with the same vigor as the centenary celebrations 2 years ago?

We should make a week of it every year and get ourselves a nice 5 day bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Farmers 'will take law into own hands' if gardaon’t act
    Farmers warn they will take the law into their own hands if rural crime continues to go under the radar
    Meeting held in response to growing number of criminal incidents targeting farmers and the wider rural community
    Individuals known to use the exercising lurcher dogs as an excuse to monitor a property before a theft
    'If you don’t take some sort of action, you’re going to have what happened in the west of Ireland' - farmer

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/farmers-will-take-law-into-own-hands-if-garda-dont-act-37472815.html

Convenient for the Indo that it was a meeting of people from rural North County Dublin.

FFS people in the rest of RURAL Ireland have been dealing with this for years but I guess that doesn't count.

Maybe something will now be done as it has reached the Pale.

I would bet there are a lot more Gardai in the vicinity of North County Dublin than other rural areas in Ireland. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement