Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This is a country where a handful of independents can make or break a Government. A strong showing for a law and order / welfare reform party could make a real difference.
    THIS! no party will every get a majority here! So having even a party with 8-10 in it could be huge, they can be kingmakers. it gets rid of the likes of those independent alliance wasters!

Its totally laughable, come the next election, we MIGHT have some non bull****ters to represent the workers of this country! Totally incredible for this banana republic!

They are all total spoofers about law and order, unless there is a large increase in the amount of prison spaces! what are they going to do otherwise? Plead with them not to commit further crimes? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I for one would welcome a new party or Renua. FG have proved there is not much difference between them and FF. There is literally no party I can vote for in the next election.

I am fed up of reading about criminals with 106 previous convinctions carrying out heinous crimes and getting joke sentences with a portion suspended. As for concurrent sentencing, it makes my blood boil. If you have been caught for one crime you may as well rush out and do many more as it won’t matter once you reach court. If you are aged 26 with 106 previous you should be locked up for at least 20 years. There should be no drugs in prisons ever.

I am also fed up of paying huge amounts of tax to pay for people to sit on their arse all day or pop out children for the taxpayer to support. I had to visit a welfare office a few years ago and the amount of people that came in to sign on in their pyjamas was shocking. You should not be able to put your name down for a council house at 18. If you are working on a low wage you should go up the list ahead of someone who has never worked. A council house should not be for life. Able bodied people who leave school should be made work for the dole.

I am fed up about the reckless spending and waste by our government. The HSE being the largest elephant in the room, followed by RTÉ, not to mention the Irish Water fiasco. I could go on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I for one would welcome a new party or Renua. FG have proved there is not much difference between them and FF. There is literally no party I can vote for in the next election.

I am fed up of reading about criminals with 106 previous convinctions carrying out heinous crimes and getting joke sentences with a portion suspended. As for concurrent sentencing, it makes my blood boil. If you have been caught for one crime you may as well rush out and do many more as it won’t matter once you reach court. If you are aged 26 with 106 previous you should be locked up for at least 20 years. There should be no drugs in prisons ever.

I am also fed up of paying huge amounts of tax to pay for people to sit on their arse all day or pop out children for the taxpayer to support. I had to visit a welfare office a few years ago and the amount of people that came in to sign on in their pyjamas was shocking. You should not be able to put your name down for a council house at 18. If you are working on a low wage you should go up the list ahead of someone who has never worked. A council house should not be for life. Able bodied people who leave school should be made work for the dole.

I am fed up about the reckless spending and waste by our government. The HSE being the largest elephant in the room, followed by RTÉ, not to mention the Irish Water fiasco. I could go on and on.
    Lol
    Just lol
    Funniest pseudo rant ever
    Comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

DChancer wrote: »
    Lol
    Just lol
    Comedy gold

Wouldn’t be trying to shut down a debate DChancer by any chance? As a taxpayer in this society I have a right to my option and I am going to make it known in the next election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Lol
    Just lol
    Comedy gold

Seriously ?

It's accurate, full of salilent points and well thought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

- is rural crime getting better or worse, Worse

-why it's going the direction it's going because when someone tries to solve it by pointing the finger in the right direction, they are shouted down as racists.

- where are the rural crime generally where there's a confluence of high Traveller numbers, spread out properties where the occupants are elderly/infirm/alone and a lack of Gardai locally

-do people have accurate view as to the way rural crime is going Yes, sadly

-do people have accurate view as to why it's getting better or worse as above

-if people have an inaccurate view, why is this, who's spreading the lies? Vested interest groups (PP e.g), media either who either don't care or who prefer their Dublin-centric bias, politicians who need the votes of certain dodgier sections of their community and pay lip service to the elderly constituents but really could not care less.

-why are they spreading lies if that s the case See above

Ì'm not looking for your opinion, I would just like to know where you get your information from.
    Surely that's not too much to ask! I'm not attacking or even making an arguament. I'm genuinely interested.

Seeing as those on here feel so strongly about this issue I thought i'd be inundated with links and studies.
    But a big fat 0, Nothing! From anyone.
    I find it hard to believe.
    Why do you feel so strongly if you've nothing to go on.

Ì'm not looking for your opinion, I would just like to know where you get your information from.
    Surely that's not too much to ask! I'm not attacking or even making an arguament. I'm genuinely interested.

Seeing as those on here feel so strongly about this issue I thought i'd be inundated with links and studies.

You may have misunderstood the purpose of a discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You seem to be having difficulty throwing up these “real changes” and alternative govt from the ones you don’t want “another five minutes of”?

:confused:

May I?

1 Remove RTE from Dublin immediately, it is the State owned broadcaster it doesn't need to be in Donnybrook.

2 That would remove the blatant regional bias that suffocates political discussion in RTE, as well as revealing the blatant regional bias in all the other media outlets which can be difficult to spot when they all act together.

3 Introducing an offence where by any journalist that knowingly assists a Public Official in Abuse of Office should be considered a criminal offence against the State.

4 If property related content is carried by a newspaper it needs to be completely balanced, house prices should be banned from ads and editorials. This would curtail the amount of property related ads because auctioneers would spend too much time taking calls from people who can't afford the property.

In terms of government, we need to regionalise power as quick as possible, that way, lets just say an area had a crime problem, the regional assembly could deal with the matter much quicker than National Government.

We are way way way to centralised as an Nation, it is very unhealthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Qwerty, there's this thing called Google....

People are not going on nothing as you say, they are going on lived experience. You can find studies about this all on your own with great ease.

Wellwhynot, take a read of the below. FG have been in power for what, eight ish years now and the economy is allegedly booming, but living standards are going down for many! Law and order? a joke. Raw sewage still being discharged into the sea, boil notices and its nearly 2019! In fact most things here are a joke, but its great to know its at the expense of a totally off the wall welfare system...

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/budget-2019-tasc-analysis-4309396-Oct2018/

I just read that article earlier, living standards below italy and barely above Cyprus!!!

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/comment-we-cannot-allow-tenants-to-act-as-if-they-own-houses-37456377.html

Comment: We cannot allow tenants to act as if they own houses

The real scandal in social housing is that, in Dublin alone, 1,367 families are homeless while there are 5,000 two, three, four and even five-bedroom council-owned homes occupied by just one person.

There are a further 5,000 under-occupied - for instance, only two people in a four-bed house. This pattern is repeated across the country. It comes on top of news there are 3,600 empty State-owned homes which house nobody.

How can we claim we don't have enough social housing when this situation exists?

And not only do we have a homeless problem, we also have an overcrowding problem. In the Dublin City Council area, there are 18 cases of a family of five or more living in a one-bed housing unit. Conversely, there are 118 individuals living in a four-bed house. This is wrong.

We cannot allow social housing stock to be treated like the tenant owns it. A person should not live alone in a large house at the expense of those in horribly overcrowded situations. Social housing on offer should change over time. If the occupant doesn't agree, let them pay full market rent for the property. If they can't, or won't, they should be compelled to move to a house of a suitable size to their needs.

While it is important to respect individuals, accommodate special circumstance and be mindful of the needs of others, there is also a need for a mature conversation whereby tenants of council homes are asked to make room for the next generation who are raising families and need these homes.

If you lose your job, you get the dole. When you get working again, it ends. When you are sick, you get illness benefit. When you get better, it stops.

Read more: How more than 10,000 social houses are under-occupied as crisis deepens

But once you get social housing, you have it for life. You pay a tiny rent, you pay no Local Property Tax and the council does all the maintenance. You are not asked to move on when you no longer need it.

And if your financial circumstances improve, you can buy it for 60pc of the market value. Almost two-thirds of all social housing ever built has been sold on to tenants. You can't claim that the people who were living in those homes couldn't afford housing, if they were able to buy the same home.

The right to social housing must come with certain obligations. The right to a larger social house as your family grows should be matched by the obligation to trade down when you no longer need it.

Why should we spend billions of euro building homes, when we could resolve almost all of the homelessness problem through the cheaper, faster and fairer re-allocation of existing stock?

If we are serious about resolving this crisis, we must treat it like a crisis, and not pander to incumbents who are effectively blocking the homeless out of a place to live.

What's wrong with ending the suffering of the homeless and those in overcrowded accommodation by using homes we already have?

We want fair housing for all, not spare rooms for the many. State-owned homes should be delivered to each according to their need, and no more.

• Advertisement

May I?

1 Remove RTE from Dublin immediately, it is the State owned broadcaster it doesn't need to be in Donnybrook.

2 That would remove the blatant regional bias that suffocates political discussion in RTE, as well as revealing the blatant regional bias in all the other media outlets which can be difficult to spot when they all act together.

3 Introducing an offence where by any journalist that knowingly assists a Public Official in Abuse of Office should be considered a criminal offence against the State.

4 If property related content is carried by a newspaper it needs to be completely balanced, house prices should be banned from ads and editorials. This would curtail the amount of property related ads because auctioneers would spend too much time taking calls from people who can't afford the property.

In terms of government, we need to regionalise power as quick as possible, that way, lets just say an area had a crime problem, the regional assembly could deal with the matter much quicker than National Government.

make RTE subscription based, its a total farce! They were given another 8,500,000 bail out by the taxpayer only a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

wellwhynot wrote: »

I am 110% on board with all of the above.
    I mean, it's just common sense. (Well, it is for anyone who is in middle ireland and funding all of this anyway)

Lol
    Just lol
    Comedy gold

Seriously ?

It's accurate, full of salilent points and well thought out.

It's populist bullcrap devoid of real facts or workable thought out solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    When the 1916 anniversary celebrations took place FF were all over it, now; not a dickie bird.

Weak point. Which Irishman didn’t fly the flag at 1916?

Except it's not.

Well I really must commend the plausible alternatives that you have proposed to deal with the multiple crises highlighted.

tretorn wrote: »
    I hope you know how lucky you are that you arent living in fear in rural Ireland.

Over three hundred thousand people are living through the experience you want described to you.

What makes you think I don't live in rural Ireland.

Bar a few years here and there I've lived there almost all my life.

My own personal experience is that my region is very safe, but I'm not looking for people opinions or personal experience.
    Several friends and family have wide ranging views on this even if they live in the exact same place.
    It often happens that if I talking to a person about crime they'd say" I hear it's terrible up the country" and then if you're talking to someone up the country they say "I hear it's terrible down the country"
    So it would be great if the folk on here who seem to know a lot about it could just simply say where they're getting their info.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Well I really must commend the plausible alternatives that you have proposed to deal with the multiple crises highlighted.
    The so called crises do not exist in reality.
    Stop making mountains out of molehill.

Nah, just blah blah, populism, blah blah snowflake, blah blah facism... like the rest.

You may have misunderstood the purpose of a discussion board.

No I haven't, I often read here looking for peoples views and opinion, but now as part of the discussion I'd like to know where people are getting their info that form those opinions
    Very simple request

• Advertisement

So no one abuses the welfare state, no one of "variable tenure locations" steals from the working Joe who commutes 1 hour away, or from farmers?

Riight. Care to explain how Peter Casey increased his support from 2 to 23% based on a week or two of running a campaign based on that exact tenet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

So no one abuses the welfare state, no one of "variable tenure locations" steals from the working Joe who commutes 1 hour away, or from farmers?

Riight. Care to explain how Peter Casey increased his support from 2 to 23% based on a week or two of running a campaign based on that exact tenet?

Racism innit :rolleyes:

givyjoe wrote: »
    Racism innit :rolleyes:
    Oh yeah, I agree. Racism between one group of white Irish people (Caucasian Europeans) and another group of white Irish people (Caucasian Europeans)

:p:p

Now THAT'S comedy gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

May I?

Thank you for your contribution.

Oh yeah, I agree. Racism between one group of white Irish people (Caucasian Europeans) and another group of white Irish people (Caucasian Europeans)

:p:p

Say it once, say it loud ..... !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Making wealthy people like Casey actually pay their taxes here like the rest of us while decreasing taxes on the middle class would be a good start on the tax front. There's something particularly reprehensible about someone who avoids paying tax here claiming that they're on the side of the middle class.

The rest of the points are fair enough though IMO, despite the inevitable outrage. We're too soft on repeat offenders, and RTE is a complete waste of money for the most part. The HSE spending needs to be looked at too, although I'm concerned that some people's 'solution' there would be moving to completely private healthcare, which I'd be strongly opposed to.

• Advertisement

No I haven't, I often read here looking for peoples views and opinion, but now as part of the discussion I'd like to know where people are getting their info that form those opinions
    Very simple request

Would you usually ask people to quantify their opinions with scientific journals or other studies in general conversation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement