Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj9zreO167eAhWPCuwKHerTDhAQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Frikoniharkin&psig=AOvVaw2-1zGNOOMswxCp3PZ6k057&ust=1541006609532019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Let's park the travellers for a moment (preferably in a legal halting site).

Does anyone disagree that there are a core number of people in this country who abuse the welfare system. Traveller and settled both. These are the generational unemployed, families who's grandparents, parents, children and grand children have never worked, or needed to, as the state pays for everything. Houses, health, drink, smokes, the whole gamut of needs.

Are they an ethnic minority? Is calling them out racist?

Casey believes that this isn't a sustainable model, and he's right. Plenty of people who voted for him took this issue into consideration. I don't understand why the politicians don't address this, it's a relatively east win and would mean more money for those who really need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

wellwhynot wrote: »

The gardai recently announced they have set up a special task force to crack down on gangs targeting rural Ireland.

As it is it's miraculous there haven't been more of these fellas shot during burglaries. I wonder how long that will last.

Does anyone disagree that there are a core number of people in this country who abuse the welfare system. Traveller and settled both. These are the generational unemployed, families who's grandparents, parents, children and grand children have never worked, or needed to, as the state pays for everything. Houses, health, drink, smokes, the whole gamut of needs.

Casey believes that this isn't a sustainable model, and he's right. Plenty of people who voted for him took this issue into consideration. I don't understand why the politicians don't address this, it's a relatively east win and would mean more money for those who really need it.

are they abusing it? no , the government has created this welfare wonderland.
    They are indeed ENTITLED to everything that gets thrown at them! The blame stops with the state. What have they done about it? The government are the problem, human nature is the result. People with no work ethic or pride, just feed off the state...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

listermint wrote: »
    I haven't refered to anyone like that in this thread I've consistently called Casey out on his nonsense.

Snake oil

Michael D Higgins was selling snake oil too, just different snake oil, he just had the entire establishment help him.

If you think I am mad for thinking that, go back to 2011 and tell me he wasn't assisted by our media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

We have had the largest number of jobless households in the EU for some time

https://www.thejournal.ie/jobless-households-3832381-Feb2018/

We can't even discuss doing something about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Idbatterim wrote: »
    are they abusing it? no , the government has created this welfare wonderland.
    They are indeed ENTITLED to everything that gets thrown at them! The blame stops with the state. What have they done about it? The government are the problem, human nature is the result. People with no work ethic or pride, just feed off the state...
    For crying out loud, the things people deflect to the government - how about the people actually choosing to be freeloaders? They are responsible for their own decisions. If it were human nature we would all be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Rich people dodging taxes isn't exactly healthy for the nation's finances either. I know that point normally gets dismissed as not relevant in these threads, but given that Casey is literally a rich person dodging taxes, it seems relevant this time.

THIS is why people compare Casey to Trump. He acts as if he's on the side of the ordinary working person while actively screwing them over.

And yes I know "it's complicated", "he's working on it" and (insert other excuse here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I did two days labouring for a plasterer during the summer who was doing skimming work on our house

He told me he cannot get lads to do the job of mixing and throwing up stuff onto a mortar board. Nobody wants to work

It pays €90 a day, even €100 a day if you were good at it. Usually cash, too!

I managed to get the hang of the technique in half a day.
    I reckon i saved myself €200 on a labourer for the 2 days

So, there is plenty of work out there for lads prepared to work.
    Get off welfare, get out the door and do a weeks work.

That last bit is strange when we are considered in "Full employment"

For crying out loud, the things people deflect to the government - how about the people actually choosing to be freeloaders? They are responsible for their own decisions. If it were human nature we would all be doing it.

you think the freeloaders will change it, its in government control. Why arent they changing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Step # 1
    Stop selling off the council housing stock

If you're in council housing you should not be able to buy the house, or afford to buy the house!

Take management of these houses off the councils. They are too slow to do them up and are far too tolerant of the houses being wrecked.

The tenants should be expected to do the basic maintenance on the houses - painting, servicing boiler, cleaning chimneys, cutting hedges etc

Correct and right , what it reminds me is the management is like the old days in Dublin City.

Parking was run by the Copperation(sic) the auld plaw maaws worked as the grunts operating didn’t give a fuhhrke, they got paid the same either way.

Cue in the clampers , different story, pay up or shut the fcuk up, no auld coming the auld soldier .

Housing needs the same approach where the scones on councils can’t try to pro tect their seats by being lenient to disgraceful behavior.

Independent authority with no vested interest is your man.

Not rocket science, buddy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Real changes. What are these?

Could you outline.…say 4 of the “Real changes” that you say we need?

you don’t want another “5 minutes “ of this Govt.

Outline your alternative

Ta ta.

1. Remove the TV licence from RTE. Our taxes are funding Ray Darcy on 400k a year and Marian Finucane on 300k for a few hours radio a week and both are terrible at that. Sick and disgusting, a jobs club for no talent well connected people.

2. Time to stop the likes of Cash, Erica Fleming and foreign welfare tourists from scamming the system and taking the piss.

3. Crime . Time to eliminate traveller burglary gangs terrorizing rural areas, and people strolling round with 200 convictions. Clean up Dublin city centre while we're at it and build more prisons if necessary .

4. Housing Crisis . 8 years in charge for Fine Gael the buck stops with them . Build more houses of all descriptions and fast. Also sort out the criteria for the housing list, and stop newly arrived foreigners jumping the list ahead of Irish people on it years.

5. Immigration time to have an open and honest discussion on immigration and limits set on who comes into this country. Deport failed asylum seekers immediately and foreign criminals without citizenship. The Asylum seekers gravy train must end we are a soft touch.

6. Rural Ireland . Lets talk about what the future is. We need jobs outside Dublin. We need services . Pubs, shops, post offices, Gardai stations all closing. Under 40s all leaving for Dublin or abroad and never coming back . Is it just going to be a wasteland for people to enjoy retirement and gangs to pick off elderly farmers or is there actually going to be something done. We can't all move to Dublin, especially when there is a housing crisis there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That is absolutely shocking!

"The real scandal in social housing is that, in Dublin alone, 1,367 families are homeless while there are 5,000 two, three, four and even five-bedroom council-owned homes occupied by just one person.

There are a further 5,000 under-occupied - for instance, only two people in a four-bed house. This pattern is repeated across the country. It comes on top of news there are 3,600 empty State-owned homes which house nobody."

How is this not a big focus of councils and the media?! So many people living in council homes that are way bigger than they need. They should be moved to more appropriate units in order to free these homes up. It is a perfect example of dependency on the state if it is a situation where someone has been renting a council home for a long time and would feel injustice at being moved to a more appropriate alternative house.

That's a really interesting way of looking at it.

Why arent people being downsized as appropriate?

That last bit is strange when we are considered in "Full employment"
    Anyone on any type of job scheme like Jobpath is taken off the live register and not counted even though they get the normal payments. The actual real unemployment rate is much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anyone on any type of job scheme like Jobpath is taken off the live register and not counted even though they get the normal payments. The actual real unemployment rate is much higher.

Don't forget about the precarious nature of many of the jobs that have been created!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Also I don’t believe people on disability are included either. We have the highest amount of disability claims than anywhere in Europe.

1. Remove the TV licence from RTE. Our taxes are funding Ray Darcy on 400k a year and Marian Finucane on 300k for a few hours radio a week and both are terrible at that. Sick and disgusting, a jobs club for no talent well connected people.
    wrote:
    Your opinion...many would not agree

2. Time to stop the likes of Cash, Erica Fleming and foreign welfare tourists from scamming the system and taking the piss.
    wrote:
    Yes agree with that
    3. Crime . Time to eliminate traveller burglary gangs terrorizing rural areas, and people strolling round with 200 convictions. Clean up Dublin city centre while we're at it and build more prisons if necessary .
    wrote:
    We know that
    4. Housing Crisis . 8 years in charge for Fine Gael the buck stops with them . Build more houses of all descriptions and fast. Also sort out the criteria for the housing list, and stop newly arrived foreigners jumping the list ahead of Irish people on it years.
    wrote:
    if it were that easy it would be done
    5. Immigration time to have an open and honest discussion on immigration and limits set on who comes into this country. Deport failed asylum seekers immediately and foreign criminals without citizenship. The Asylum seekers gravy train must end we are a soft touch.

6. Rural Ireland . Lets talk about what the future is. We need jobs outside Dublin. We need services . Pubs, shops, post offices, Gardai stations all closing. Under 40s all leaving for Dublin or abroad and never coming back . Is it just going to be a wasteland for people to enjoy retirement and gangs to pick off elderly farmers or is there actually going to be something done. We can't all move to Dublin, especially when there is a housing crisis there?

All Mom and Apple pie stuff , kind of stuff Michael Fitzmaurice horses out on the Late Debate, we need this we need that, something must be done ..of course we do,but who is going to IMPLEMENT all this stuff, who is going to PAY for all this stuff.

Sure as fcuk the pay for nothing brigade aint gonna pay so that leaves the pay for everything get nothing cohort?

Mom and Apple pie politics get you nowhere my friend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

All Mom and Apple pie stuff , kind of stuff Michael Fitzmaurice horses out on the Late Debate, we need this we need that, something must be done ..of course we do,but who is going to IMPLEMENT all this stuff, who is going to PAY for all this stuff.

Sure as fcuk the pay for nothing brigade aint gonna pay so that leaves the pay for everything get nothing cohort?

Mom and Apple pie politics get you nowhere my friend .

What's the craic with all this "Mom and apple pie" guff? Where in Ireland are you talking like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I believe that the current FG /FF party are a tad hesitant in doing such acts as reducing the dole by a fiver or saying things like Casey was saying , as in, travellers need to “ stop living on other people’s land “ etc .. because they only worry about getting elected, I tricky believe that whoever starts talking like Casey and speaking up for the folks who go to work everyday , long days ! Will get voted in without breaking a sweat ... hard working folk who subliment the pj wearing folk who sit around all day in their council house contributing f all

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    What's the craic with all this "Mom and apple pie" guff? Where in Ireland are you talking like that?
    I believe it may be a Fine Gael supporter who still buys into Leo's spin department. There is no excuse for Fine Gaels failings on housing, crime, rural Ireland, health, immigration etc.

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Global expression bub.

Well known all over the world.

What slate have you been hiding under?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Reduce unemployment assistance (the dole) by €5 a month for 12 months. Hitting people in the pocket and their lifestyle might be enough to motivate people to find a job

The single parent allowance is a cod.
    So many are cohabiting and on the fiddle

Disability? Your own doctor should not be able to certify you. It's a joke!
    We've a lad playing adult club hurling with us and he's on disability! Weekly payment, housing payment.
    There should be an independent medical panel which decides this disability qualification
    If someone in the public sector is on long term sickness they have to attend medmark and do a thorough assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Global expression bub.

Well known all over the world.

What slate have you been hiding under?

bub ??

hawkelady wrote: »
    I believe that the current FG /FF party are a tad hesitant in doing such acts as reducing the dole by a fiver or saying things like Casey was saying , as in, travellers need to “ stop living on other people’s land “ etc .. because they only worry about getting elected, I tricky believe that whoever starts talking like Casey and speaking up for the folks who go to work everyday , long days ! Will get voted in without breaking a sweat ... hard working folk who subliment the pj wearing folk who sit around all day in their council house contributing f all

AS IF anyone on welfare would vote FG! They should have done the unthinkable here this budget just go and freeze jsa and jsb (cut the welfare xmas bonus to the long term unemployed at least! let them pay for their GP visits like the rest of us, E20 a visit , still only a third what the working poor are paying)! And deduct the money for their council rent straight from welfare if they are receiving that! but even that is 'too extreme' for them, at a time they bang on about 'full employment'!

Anyway those lying incompetent morons are being found out now, they thought the economy booming again, everything will be fine and dandy! Just goes to show, money cant buy you happiness, they can have all the money in the world and they still couldnt sort out problems, because evidently the money doesnt buy them a spine!

I believe it may be a Fine Gael supporter who still buys into Leo's spin department. There is no excuse for Fine Gaels failings on housing, crime, rural Ireland, health, immigration etc.

Only thing I buy into is reality ,bub.

You see, my friend, everyone ‘calls’ for this that and the other.

No problem with that, I could ‘call’ for a cap on diesel prices to a Euro a litre.

What chance would I have......you got it.....fuhhrke all.

Now to solve all the issues outlined by you, you say no excuses.

Now would everybody be prepared to contribute to fund the millions required to achieve this.

Would they fuhhrke.

It should be sorted out, but someone else can pay.... just like water charges.

You are fooling nobody horse.

Only thing I buy into is reality ,bub.

You see, my friend, everyone ‘calls’ for this that and the other.

No problem with that, I could ‘call’ for a cap on diesel prices to a Euro a litre.

What chance would I have......you got it.....fuhhrke all.

Now to solve all the issues outlined by you, you say no excuses.

Now would everybody be prepared to contribute to fund the millions required to achieve this.

Would they fuhhrke.

It should be sorted out, but someone else can pay.... just like water charges.

You are fooling nobody horse.

what are you talking about? you think other countries are run like this banana republic, they have solutions! You make it out like we are looking for solutions to teleport man etc! Get real! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Quote: givyjoe
    Racism innit :rolleyes:

Fintan O'Toole has it nailed ;)

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-fascism-lurks-beneath-the-surface-of-irish-society-1.3679715?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Ffintan-o-toole-fascism-lurks-beneath-the-surface-of-irish-society-1.3679715 /quote]

This sort of bat**** crazy stuff has made the term fascism worthless.

People are turning off from the preaching and lecturing of the Left.

Pretending everyone is a fash for **** sake.

what are you talking about? you think other countries are run like this banana republic, they have solutions! You make it out like we are looking for solutions to teleport man etc! Get real! :rolleyes:

As real as it gets, bub.

Solution for housing...build more houses.

Not that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Things are often worse in other countries , there is a lot of self pity in saying things are awful here etc. Dr durst in de world.

Often it is just the Béal bocht.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement