Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

As real as it gets, bub.

Solution for housing...build more houses.

Not that simple.
    Fine Gael don't care about building houses. Many of them own property and are landlords in Dublin. The value of their property is skyrocketing to Celtic Tiger levels. Kate O'Connell is a landlord with 8 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

DpSJbW0UUAoljaZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Also I don’t believe people on disability are included either. We have the highest amount of disability claims than anywhere in Europe.

Also have the highest rate of people on welfare who have never worked, in Europe.

Something tells me we are gaming the system.

As real as it gets, bub.

Solution for housing...build more houses.

Not that simple.

No? I have read many very good articles on how to solve it. Those morons in power wont act though. They should build universal public housing. They should also lower the cost of building, the vat rates etc on it are a joke, given others are getting it for free sitting on their asses! They can even do this amazing thing that they do in other countries, they have been doing it for over one hundred years, they can actually build buildings that are more than a few floors high. Amazing technology :rolleyes:

They could even change the ridiculous building regs to lower build cost, do you know what that would cost? nothing! but you are right, nothing can be done, its all so complex! Hopefully some day, some genius will work it out...

Only thing I buy into is reality ,bub.

You see, my friend, everyone ‘calls’ for this that and the other.

No problem with that, I could ‘call’ for a cap on diesel prices to a Euro a litre.

What chance would I have......you got it.....fuhhrke all.

Now to solve all the issues outlined by you, you say no excuses.

Now would everybody be prepared to contribute to fund the millions required to achieve this.

Would they fuhhrke.

It should be sorted out, but someone else can pay.... just like water charges.

You are fooling nobody horse.
    BS, excuses, whataboutery, spin.

Leo's 5 million spin department should send you an allowance.

• Advertisement

Also have the highest rate of people on welfare who have never worked, in Europe.

Something tells me we are gaming the system.

Racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fine Gael don't care about building houses. Many of them own property and are landlords in Dublin. The value of their property is skyrocketing to Celtic Tiger levels. Kate O'Connell is a landlord with 8 houses.

Just lefty rhetoric there , not worthy of genuine comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Haven’t read all this O’Toole and O’Doherty stuff but it’s very simple.

People who get up early and work hard are sick of bankrolling wasters who make no effort other than game the system.

Casey said that, spot on.Got the reaction from those who were in that situation.

Paying for everything getting nothing ,watching spenks coining it as a lifestyle choice.

So simples.

Chop chop.
    Casey managed to get 11 out of every hundred entitled to vote in the Presidential election to cast their vote for him.
    Hardly a convincing mandate or a groundswell of popular support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They can even do this amazing thing that they do in other countries, they have been doing it for over one hundred years, they can actually build buildings that are more than a few floors high. Amazing technology :rolleyes:.

This is what I don't get, there's a housing crisis (predominantly in Dublin, or at least the cities), this is also where the jobs are.....

They want to turn Dublin into a world class city, with world class facilities, world class employment prospects....

Yet hold on to this ridiculously archaic no high-rise rule (what is it? max 7 floors?)

And why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/less-than-a-fifth-of-deportation-orders-carried-out-1.3680876

This is the kind of nonsense going on in this country.

If whoever is in charge of deporting illegal immigrants cant do their ob then they should be sacked.

Guess who is benefitting the most here, stand up FLAC and take a bow.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    This is what I don't get, there's a housing crisis (predominantly in Dublin, or at least the cities), this is also where the jobs are.....

They want to turn Dublin into a world class city, with world class facilities, world class employment prospects....

Yet hold on to this ridiculously archaic no high-rise rule (what is it? max 7 floors?)

take a look at this, explains why!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3n59wC8kk

Also this 'analysis' about landlord politicians and their vested interest in prices rising, you dont need to be a bloody landlord or investor, to support rising prices! the vast majority of politicians and planners, have a total vested interest in property prices increasing on their own home!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

DpSJbW0UUAoljaZ.jpg

This is it and the worrying thing is they can't see it.

• wexie wrote: »

Something something beautiful skylines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

DChancer wrote: »
    Casey managed to get 11 out of every hundred entitled to vote in the Presidential election to cast their vote for him.

That's a very poor argument. He came a strong second from nowhere, spending way less than anyone other candidate, consistently making the news agenda, despite being deliberately hampered by Mr.Higgin's 3 week stunt and despite a generally hostile press and the Taoiseach's crass (and very worrying) interference in the electoral process.
    A triumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Danzy wrote: »
    This is it and the worrying thing is they can't see it.

Only in your head.

That's the worrying part.

You live in one of the safest secure well looked after and best places to reside in the world yet you go on like it's some hell hole.

That's what I find perplexing and amusing in equal measure.

And you conjure images of some group of lefty people who are surpressing you from.... From I don't know what.

Who are these people , what are they surpressing you doing. Do they appear at your front door ?

Have you considered that people that don't agree with your view point are just debating with you and may actually not be this image you conjured of them .

Consider it... For a minute. Just a minute

That's a very poor argument. He came a strong second from nowhere, spending way less than anyone other candidate, consistently making the news agenda, despite being deliberately hampered by Mr.Higgin's 3 week stunt and despite a generally hostile press and the Taoiseach's crass (and very worrying) interference in the electoral process.
    A triumph.
    He also didn't use posters and barely canvassed. I smiled today when I seen the Sinn Fein posters still up in my area knowing Casey beat her easily here and everywhere with none.

A triumph.

A triumph in single picking a single issue and riding the arse out of it to get some votes from a very narrow subject matter which rings with a minority of people.

Snake oil salesman. It's pretty simple . Red dead redemption is full of this trope.

listermint wrote: »
    Only in your head.

You live in one of the safest secure well looked after and best places to reside in the world yet you go on like it's some hell hole.

And you conjure images of some group of lefty people who are surpressing you from.... From I don't know what.

Who are these people , what are they surpressing you doing. Do they appear at your front door ?

Have you considered that people that don't agree with your view point are just debating with you and may actually not be this image you conjured of them .

?

Are you replying to the correct post?

I have always voted left, SF.

The Left today is a very different beast to even twenty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

DChancer wrote: »

Money D managed to get 25 out of every 100 entitled to vote. So using your logic 75 out of every 100 people didn't want him as president.

?

In replying to a post that believes there is some angry group of people surpressing them .

You thanked it and then said it's worrying that they can't see it?

• Advertisement

Only in your head.

Ill tell you what I consider, 50% income tax thieved off over a pittance of E34,800! a third world transport system in Dublin, no motorway linking the second a third cities. Boil water notices and raw sewage being discharged into our sea's! Law and order, I wont even go there! Outrageous house prices for some and its free for others. An off the wall welfare state! The place is a joke! They spending to tax cut ratio as agree between FG and FF was to be at a ration of 2/1. What was it this budget? 19/1 YES 19/1! LOL when the **** hits the fan here again, the national debt last time was minute! this time round a nice cool two hundred billion to the best of my knowledge, there will be SERIOUS hard decisions to be made next time! Borrowing tens of billions to avoid hard decisions, that option wont be on the menu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Something something beautiful skylines

What beautiful skylines?

Seriously have you been to Dublin?

I'm all for preserving architecture that's worth preserving (and there's a fair bit of it in the cities to be honest) but there's also a lot of uninspired muck that needs to be torn down and replaced with higher density living. (probably wouldn't hurt if public transport was upgraded at the same time)

And whatever else about preserving the Dublin skyline (haha) there's certainly none of that in the suburbs.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Money D managed to get 25 out of every 100 entitled to vote. So using your logic 75 out of every 100 people didn't want him as president.

Or that most people didn't bother voting because they believed MD would get in

And that those that did vote were motivated to by a narrow populist rant . Which was compelling to that minority group of people.

Let's just say they were taking in by a psuedo American who knows nothing about their lives and jumped on a subject that got airtime.

Let's just say that.

Ill tell you what I consider, 50% income tax thieved off over a pittance of E34,800! a third world transport system in Dublin, no motorway linking the second a third cities. Boil water notices and raw sewage being discharged into our sea's! Law and order, I wont even go there! Outrageous house prices for some and its free for others. An off the wall welfare state! The place is a joke! They spending to tax cut ratio as agree between FG and FF was to be at a ration of 2/1. What was it this budget? 19/1 YES 19/1! LOL when the **** hits the fan here again, the national debt last time was minute! this time round a nice cool two hundred billion to the best of my knowledge, there will be SERIOUS hard decisions to be made next time! Borrowing tens of billions to avoid hard decisions, that option wont be on the menu!

Sorry wait.

I'm actually struggling to see your answers.

I did actually see a mostly ranty popular piece which is at odds to our growth .

So what would you start with three rational things. That doesn't involve vilification of a section of society to get votes

Rational things which an actual political party can run with .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

?

Is it a different beast? SF, labour etc are still the same parties. I don't see any of them shouting anyone down. I don't see any way people are being oppressed by the left.

Look at the left in Ireland. Pro choice, pro gay marriage etc. They're for peoples rights. They're not oppressing anyone, they're giving some people additional rights but that's it.

In replying to a post that believes there is some angry group of people surpressing them .

You thanked it and then said it's worrying that they can't see it?

I took it as reflective of the increasing tendency to preach,roar and lecture like a demented 1950s Priest.

Whatever we think, whether right or wrong. A growing no. of voters think so across the West.

In many countries the Left is in freefall.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When are the audited accounts being released by our new president to the Irish people?

Windbag speeches are all well and good but let's see who you really are Michael

I took it as reflective of the increasing tendency to preach,roar and lecture like a demented 1950s Priest.

Whatever we think, whether right or wrong. A growing no. of voters think so across the West.

In many countries the Left is in freefall.

Ah so you agree you've conjured up this image.

There is not one preaching or roaring at you.

Your not oppressed in fact you enjoy quite a good quality of life in Ireland.

Would these be more factual than your Twitter version of events.

Let's talk rationally rather than in a diametric American them and us style of discussion

When are the audited accounts being released by our new president to the Irish people?

Windbag speeches are all well and good but let's see who you really are Michael

I don't know try emailing the Aras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

givyjoe wrote: »
    Absolutely terrible idea. Considering that older, vulnerable folks are the ones often preyed upon for these 'services', placing the onus on them to ensure they engage a licensed contractor is really punishing the wrong person.
    The onus wouldn't only be on homeowners - however the logic would be that, unlike travellers, homeowners are generally law abiding and don't want to get into trouble. If fines were introduced for engaging cold callers for home maintenance and a TV ad campaign (similar to TV licence ads) was run, travellers would get far less "business". Also it would give a good excuse for not engaging travellers without fear of getting personal and without getting into a discussion with highly manipulative individuals.

"Sorry I'm not allowed to engage you for cleaning the driveway, I could be fined, isn't the government terrible. OK bye".

It won't happen and I haven't thought through the practicalities of it.

However there is a notorious 4x4 dealership in Co. Longford which has been in trouble with Revenue and other authorities for years. There are rumours that Revenue were using a tactic of targeting customers of the dealership for tax audits. Whether true or not, this rumour is now out there and will have made some potential customers avoid having anything to do with that dealership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement