Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Watch the 9pm news on rte. Wow. They have moved it down to about the 8th story. Just before the news break.
    One gets the sense that the media will kill this story because it is actually backfiring spectacularly.
    The usual media vultures jumped all over it this item this morning and they didn't get it. What they have gotten is the opposite.
    So they're likely killing it since there's nothing to be gained from it. With plenty to lose.
    19 people killed in Crimea gets in the news before it. Absolutely wow.

How should it still be key news at 9pm? Everyone knows its a one line comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Watch the 9pm news on rte. Wow. They have moved it down to about the 8th story. Just before the news break.
    One gets the sense that the media will kill this story because it is actually backfiring spectacularly.
    The usual media vultures jumped all over it this item this morning and they didn't get it. What they have gotten is the opposite.
    So they're likely killing it since there's nothing to be gained from it. With plenty to lose.

personally i think Casey will quit the race. he knows he's going to be embarrassed anyhow, and this latest trick is not going to change that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Trust me, I'm far from confused. I work in a prison so I know all about Travellers. They make up a massive,massive portion of the prison population compared to their numbers in society. Is that just prejudice or is that just reality? No confusion here. None.

Ever wonder why its mostly poor minorities in prison? The law is only there to protect the rich from the poor

I am delighted to see that the mods have let this thread just go and go. How times have changed..... for the better.

We all need a voice.

I do what I feel like!

Be like the boy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Try_harder wrote: »
    You were in court and paid €1,000 for a barrister? Hope he got you off for that €€€

I'm not aware of any legal aid solicitors travelling with their clients! Thats a new one on me!

i got sorted thanks he didnt travel with him he was there for him ok i am aware who the legal aid guys are and recognised him ok . is that good enough for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

MFPM wrote: »
    There are people spewing unbelievable abuse at the Travelling community with a spate of unsubstantiated posts and rotten language and you take me to task over tone and aggression...get of the stage and get some perspective.

You my friend are the one who needs to get off the stage and go back the horse you actually believe in and give over the trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

[Trump/Clinton pic with percentages]
    That's a photo with no context or info...can you outline what it's depicting?

I think that may have some some US station's guestimate of the election odds. i.e., someone using it as a comeback to me pointing out Casey was a no-hoper, without quite making themselves look so ridiculous as to say Casey was going to win.

Handy hint: Trump was not on 2% nine days before the election. Nor does Ireland have an electoral college, where if you get 46%, and your opponent gets 49%, you still win if they're 'strategically' placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you live anywhere near a group of Travellers in their caravans. Do you? :cool:

They're called 'cravens' according to Maggie Cash actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The fightback is happening. RTE have been told to back off, it is not helping their cause.

As you say it is backfiring, and the PC muzzling brigade have realised that fighting against Casey is just not working, in fact it is annoying lots of people!

But I have a question.... should our National Broadcaster not give both sides of the story and be impartial?

That would be too much to ask for I suppose.

No wonder people are ecstatic that Casey spoke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Exactly.

Most people don't care a whit about the Prez election, but they listen when people speak their lingo. Or indeed when people have the courage to speak about things that have been muzzled for years.

Because we never hear about travellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

Noveight wrote: »
    Remove the numbers and my point remains the very same. A baseless generalisation is incomparable to a substantiated one.

You're incorrect to call hypocrisy on someone who endorses one while demeaning another.

Championing a method used by someone you endorse while critiquing the same method by someone you disagree with is text book hypocrisy.

There are also many, many generalisations one could make about Trump supporters, do you dispute that?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

Ordinary taxpayer citizen here, my limited experiences with travellers have been almost entirely negative.

Soz it doesn't chime with the Irish Times consensus, but I'm wary of them based on the above, it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Great diversion by way of your little anecdote, the bottom line is you still have refused to answer two questions, ah well, I think we can draw our own conclusions from that evasion.

Who is 'we'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Also nope! See... well, the entire non-Traveller-bashing part of the thread.

I find it amazing so that these unsubstantiated claims of his can garner such a strong backing.

Labelling it "Traveller Bashing" is but a lazy dismissal of a genuine sentiment among the population.

The fightback is happening. RTE have been told to back off, it is not helping their cause.

As you say it is backfiring, and the PC muzzling brigade have realised that fighting against Casey is just not working, in fact it is annoying lots of people!

But I have a question.... should our National Broadcaster not give both sides of the story and be impartial?

I love posts like this! The conspiracy :):pac::pac:

I love posts like this! The conspiracy :):pac::pac:

Fake News!!! RTE D4 liberal bias!

i got sorted thanks he didnt travel with him he was there for him ok i am aware who the legal aid guys are and recognised him ok . is that good enough for you?

Solicitors dont exclusivily work legal aid cases. So unless you were there when legal aid was assigned how would you know? But then you would also know legal aid is assigned in over 90% of criminal cases. TDs and CEOs got legal aid remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They're called 'cravens' according to Maggie Cash actually.

OK lol. but the poster still hasn't answered and probably never will either. No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Remember travellers hate the settled community also so its a bit rich calling settled people as being racist. The majority of male travellers spend their time conning people and thieving . Unless of course they are actors or activists!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

he's desperately trying to emulate his hero Mr. Trump by appealing to the least educated, and most ignorant in society

There we go again. You disagree with my way of thinking so you're dumb.

• Advertisement

bmm wrote: »
    Remember travellers hate the settled community also so its a bit rich calling settled people as being racist. The majority of male travellers spend their time conning people and thieving . Unless of course they are actors or activists!

I have interacted with travellers in the past and I got no hate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

you're gonna start prattling on about "fake news" and "the failing RTE" next aren't you?
    will you be making Ireland great again?

Trust me, I'm far from confused. I work in a prison so I know all about Travellers. They make up a massive,massive portion of the prison population compared to their numbers in society. Is that just prejudice or is that just reality? No confusion here. None.

I dare say you deal with far more people from disadvantaged socio economic areas too, do you adopt such a prejudicial attitude to them?

bmm wrote: »

So many generalisations....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

His comments are absolutely correct and from my own personal experiences with travellers I don't have a good word to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Could you imagine if I tried to build a house on land I didn't own, or place a caravan/mobile home on that land. I'd be evicted.

Different rules seem to apply to Travellers though. Maybe they scare people off. That is not right.

Did you miss the Battle of the (First) Gorse Hill? Notorious Traveller Squatter Pat Kenny... claiming adverse possession a patch of land near this house, from his (even more!) elderly neighbour? https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pat-kenny-claims-squatters-rights-as-legal-row-escalates-26308205.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Called a spade a spade in relation to travellers. Will be the cheapest cost for taxpayers.

Count me in.

Championing a method used by someone you endorse while critiquing the same method by someone you disagree with is text book hypocrisy.

There are also many, many generalisations one could make about Trump supporters, do you dispute that?

Trump this, Trump that. When the debate is lost, divert and deflect at every opportunity.

You my friend are the one who needs to get off the stage and go back the horse you actually believe in and give over the trolling

You didn't dispute my point all the same! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

His comments are absolutely correct and from my own personal experiences with travellers I don't have a good word to say.

Confirmation bias. 100% accurate and reliable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement