Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

tretorn wrote: »
    I am going to cancel my subscription to the Irish Times, I have had enough of Fintan O Toole, Una Mullally and Katherine Sheridan, enough of their wittering prose penned in the Irish Times office or in their homes which may as well be on a different planet to where the problems with travellers are.

I'm surprised it took you so long. It's been a comic for years. Arguably since Conor Brady stepped down as editor. The high quality journalism in it has been gradually pushed further and further to the fringes as shilling columnists with overt connections to different factions of the Irish establishment have taken centre stage.

Don't even get me started on how the Property Supplement tail wags the editorial policy dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

blinding wrote: »
    He Doth Protest Too Much !;)

Next thing we will be hearing that the Irish Times is delighted with the result. They are in overdrive at the moment churning out anti-Casey articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    From talking to people i know who voted for Casey, the housing issue in Tipp seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people

6 lovely houses sitting empty because their intended occupants want grazing space for their horses.

That and Leo interfering

Half an acre each and stables demanded in the middle of a housing crisis

According to a man on the council when the agreement was made, the agreement was that the houses would be built and then the bridge would be cleared.

What should have happened is that they went to the bottom of the queue, the houses were given to other people on the list and that they were cleared from their unauthorised site anyway

Of course some would complain for poor treatment but they would have made their choice but not taking up very good quality housing as their culture is more important than housing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Whilst I completely agree that the vote for Casey was a means to an end I think it’s a little insulting calling him an idiot or thick.

He’s obviously a successful business man and was smart enough to run with the traveller / social welfare issues when he saw the public reaction.

I’ve said it before though he’s certainly not TD or party leader material (although the intellectual abilities of many current TDs is questionable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Casey: easily engaged with those easily ennraged. Two or three week wonder and the pack will move on to the next thing

Easily enraged is it francie!!! I've enjoyed your comments on here and your well able to stand up for yourself Fairplay, but this has it a cord with me, I deal with people in my area who have been terrorized in their homes over the years by the ethnic community, one old lady was robbed(thank God she was out) but the stress of it all she had a stroke and died a few weeks after the burglary, many a horse has died in the last year from been driven into the ground because it's Their culture..... so ya this pack here in Tipperary won't be moving onto the next thing Francie we have to deal with these problems daily, but sure us country peolpe are a means to and end for our over lords in posh south dublin. I think I'm entitled to be a bit enraged Francie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The Irish Times has gone to the dogs, even in the quality of the proof reading of the third year type sociology articles, the grammar and spelling mistakes are so bad now and even up to three years sgo this wouldnt have been the case.
    The subscription is sixteen euros a month so not a lot but I have had enough of it now, bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I voted and supported MDH since the start of the thread. I won. This democrat is happy with the result.

I am delighted to hear that you are happy with the result. The demise of the Sinn Fein candidate and the high level of support for Peter Casey were the two biggest stories of the result, and I would agree with you that I am happy with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Easily enraged is it francie!!! I've enjoyed your comments on here and your well able to stand up for yourself Fairplay, but this has it a cord with me, I deal with people in my area who have been terrorized in their homes over the years by the ethnic community, one old lady was robbed(thank God she was out) but the stress of it all she had a stroke and died a few weeks after the burglary, many a horse has died in the last year from been driven into the ground because it's Their culture..... so ya this pack here in Tipperary won't be moving onto the next thing Francie we have to deal with these problems daily, but sure us country peolpe are a means to and end for our over lords in posh south dublin. I think I'm entitled to be a bit enraged Francie

My point has always been that the 'rage' is being cheaply exploited by Casey.

The real rage should be directed at those who are creating the perfect storm.
    Those who advocate that rural life is unsustainable and who support the stripping of services are where the anger should be directed.

I simply don't believe travellers are inherently more disposed to violence as others...seems to me thst if you strip rural Ireland of it's security infrastructure while at the same time creating a have and have not economy, that there will be those who take advantage from across the whole of society.

Leo and the 'establishment' are probably just as delighted with the Hang Em High Casey sideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am delighted to hear that you are happy with the result. The demise of the Sinn Fein candidate and the high level of support for Peter Casey were the two biggest stories of the result, and I would agree with you that I am happy with the result.

You that said 'Higgins had done great damage to the human race' is happy that he has another 7 years to do his evil???

Have you no morals Blanch, no morals at all????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Those who advocate that rural life is unsustainable and who support the stripping of services are where the anger should be directed.

I simply don't believe travellers are inherently more disposed to violence as others...seems to me thst if you strip rural Ireland of it's security infrastructure while at the same time creating a have and have not economy, that there will be those who take advantage from across the whole of society.

Leo and the 'establishment' are probably just as delighted with the Hang Em High Casey sideshow.

And thats exactly what it is.

None of these 300K plus voters i can guarantee you are bothered getting up off their arses to speak to their local TDs or Councillors to get their opinion heard. They dont want to bother bar throwing out 'protest' votes as if it does anything.

Waste of time.

If you want real change then start talking to the issues. Casey isnt shining a light on something. These issues are always there just people arent bothered speaking to the real play makers. Too busy worrying about planning permission or the pot hole down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Are you for real?????

Have you any idea why three hundred thousand people voted for Casey, someone who they never heard of before.
    Can you explain why the vote was so high in areas where there are a lot of travellers.
    Maybe get on a bus to Rathkeale or Tuam or Longford and pass the time of day eith the locals. You might learn something, you never know, you just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I support the Irish Times by buying every day.
    I don't agree with all the articles or editorials.

Opinion pieces are as the title suggests someones opinion.
    I have no problem with being challenged by someone who thinks differently to me and puts forward a rational argument.

I find the news coverage excellent and balanced.

The Times is the only alternative to "Dinny's Express" and foreign owned media.

listermint wrote: »

None of these 300K plus voters i can guarantee you are bothered getting up off their arses to speak to their local TDs or Councillors to get their opinion heard. They dont want to bother bar throwing out 'protest' votes as if it does anything.

Waste of time.

If you want real change then start talking to the issues. Casey isnt shining a light on something. These issues are always there just people arent bothered speaking to the real play makers. Too busy worrying about planning permission or the pot hole down the road.

I haven't seen that poll that shows the results that none of the people that voted for Casey will raise the issues that concerned them with prospective candidates when they are canvassing for the GE.
    I know I certainly will.
    Can you put up a link to that poll?

listermint wrote: »

Waste of time.

But isn’t that the problem. TDs / councillors are afraid to speak out on these issues. Casey wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

omega man wrote: »
    But isn’t that the problem. TDs / councillors are afraid to speak out on these issues. Casey wasn’t.

Exactly

Even if people speak to their TDs/Councillors/Those seeking election many have already expressed opinions in public that Casey was wrong in what he said and have made positive comments about Travellers and that they are marginalised/face discrimination etc

Waste of time talking to those TDs/Councillors who won't change on their public positions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

DChancer wrote: »
    Certainly not a knob head like Peter Casey!
    A populist hate monger spreading divisive drivel to fools who really should know better.
    He should fcuk back of Murica now, after that's where he pays his taxes, not here!

The fools are the ones entertaining the chancers in Thurles who are turning up their noses at houses costing €348,000 each, and who happen to be travellers. The bigger fools are the ones contemplating, and the ones supporting, adding two stables and a half acre of land to each dwelling at a rough cost of €25,000 per dwelling. Plenty of hard working people out there can't afford a €373,000 house. That's what leads to division. We need to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Squiggle wrote: »
    The fools are the ones entertaining the chancers in Thurles who are turning up their noses at houses costing €348,000 each, and who happen to be travellers. The bigger fools are the ones contemplating, and the ones supporting, adding two stables and a half acre of land to each dwelling at a rough cost of €25,000 per dwelling. Plenty of hard working people out there can't afford a €373,000 house. That's what leads to division. We need to get real.

The problem is these fools are in here and speaking against it in public

You be surprised how many think throwing this 1.7m away is also OK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

blanch152 wrote: »

Actually the biggest story of all was that Michael D was re-elected to the Aras for the next seven years. Those other outcomes were related but secondary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Actually the biggest story of all was that Michael D was re-elected to the Aras for the next seven years. Those other outcomes were related but secondary.

How in God's name is "half the voters go for the status quo" THE biggest story ?

Quit obfuscating.

How in God's name is "half the voters go for the status quo" THE biggest story ?

Quit obfuscating.

Sorry, but any election related news I saw or read had Michael D`s re-election as the number one story. Casey`s high vote and the low votes for the other candidates were secondary news. Is that ok with you or am I still obfuscating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

How many posts in all these thread and all the same, "little old lady..." "animals..." yet how few posts deal pragmatically with opportunities for young travellers. The day you do is the day i'll believe you actually give a **** about the "elderly couple" and the "animals".

It's amazing how so many can look into this issue and only go so far. But when it comes to actually advocating something constructive their hatred and anger always gets the better of them.

How about you forget about how wounderful you are and how you're"entitled to be a bit enraged" look at these issues pragmatically!

"I'm animal lover...":rolleyes:
    As opposed to who for **** sake.

How many posts in all these thread and all the same, "little old lady..." "animals..." yet how few posts deal pragmatically with opportunities for young travellers. The day you do is the day i'll believe you actually give a **** about the "elderly couple" and the "animals".

It's amazing how so many can look into this issue and only go so far. But when it comes to actually advocating something constructive their hatred and anger always gets the better of them.

How about you forget about how wounderful you are and how you're"entitled to be a bit enraged" look at these issues pragmatically!

"I'm animal lover...":rolleyes:
    As opposed to who for **** sake

Travellers with horses for one.

Sorry, but any election related news I saw or read had Michael D`s re-election as the number one story. Casey`s high vote and the low votes for the other candidates were secondary news. Is that ok with you or am I still obfuscating?

Yeah cos there's no bias in the media is there ?

If they could have omitted mention of Casey completely they - and no doubt you - would have loved that.

I'm not sure what echo chamber you are occupying, but any media I have seen, all the talk is about Casey. The Irish Times is still almost a week later churning out articles on it. Fintan yesterday, Kathy today.
    Twitter is still jumping up and down about it.
    Boards.ie is all over it.
    Brendan O'Connor show is discussing it tonight.
    Any one that thinks Caseys vote is not the big story of the election is on cloud cuckoo land.

Yeah cos there's no bias in the media is there ?

If they could have omitted mention of Casey completely they - and no doubt you - would have loved that.

My point is still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Travellers with horses for one.

An elderly little pony I began looking after 5 years ago died this weekend.

He died in a sanctuary surrounded by a herd of other (also rescued) ponies with a vet there and every possible effort, no expense spared, was made to save him.

Lat year I talked his owners into letting me take him out of the field he had spent 10 years in. 10 years of no vet, no equine dentist, no farrier, no worming. His teeth were so bad he was starving.

His owners are one of the largest landowners in a North Cork village.
    There are most certainly not Travellers. At no point during the years I looked after their pony did they even offer to cover the price of a bale of hay.

One of the other ( 2 year old) ponies in the Sanctuary was voluntarily surrendered by a young Traveller who had been trying to mind him but realised he was out of this depth.

A 2 year old cob there was sold on done deal aged one week old by the stud who got his dam pregnant so she could feed and care for the foal of a thoroughbred. This is common practice in studs. Thoroughbred mares do not good mothers make, so use a cob mare as a wet nurse - the cob foal becomes disposable.

Yes, there are issues with animal welfare in the Traveller community - but there are equal issues among the settled community. All done behind closed door and gates.

There is absolutely no argument that welfare fraud or animal abuse etc doesn’t take place as much in the so called settled community. The issue here is proportionality with respect to population percentages.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yes, there are issues with animal welfare in the Traveller community - but there are equal issues among the settled community. All done behind closed door and gates.

Removed the erroneous word there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    An elderly little pony I began looking after 5 years ago died this weekend.

He died in a sanctuary surrounded by a herd of other (also rescued) ponies with a vet there and every possible effort, no expense spared, was made to save him.

Lat year I talked his owners into letting me take him out of the field he had spent 10 years in. 10 years of no vet, no equine dentist, no farrier, no worming. His teeth were so bad he was starving.

His owners are one of the largest landowners in a North Cork village.
    There are most certainly not Travellers. At no point during the years I looked after their pony did they even offer to cover the price of a bale of hay.

One of the other ( 2 year old) ponies in the Sanctuary was voluntarily surrendered by a young Traveller who had been trying to mind him but realised he was out of this depth.

A 2 year old cob there was sold on done deal aged one week old by the stud who got his dam pregnant so she could feed and care for the foal of a thoroughbred. This is common practice in studs. Thoroughbred mares do not good mothers make, so use a cob mare as a wet nurse - the cob foal becomes disposable.

A very sad tale and one which should be investigated by the correct authorities,

But to equate one sorry tale with rampant abuse from travelers to animals is quite frankly wilful ignorance or delusion and I'm not sure which is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

omega man wrote: »
    There is absolutely no argument that welfare fraud or animal abuse etc doesn’t take place as much in the so called settled community. The issue here is proportionality with respect to population percentages.

Rubbish.

I've been at the coal face of animal rescue for 6 years. Animal abuse and neglect is endemic in this country and not proportionally greater in any one section of Irish society.
    What it is is more visible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement