Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

You have got to stop fulminating and step back.

Nobody is 'excusing' rural crime. Stop wasting pixels writing about these fantasy 'excusers'. They don't exist.

I must get my reading glasses again so. I have seen you blame the economy, the government, the lack of security, the "have-nots". I must have missed the part where you blamed the criminal scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ELM327 wrote: »
    This thing of "racism" being used by travellers is akin to the Ali G sketch where he asks "Iz it coz i iz black". It is not possible for a group of white europeans to be racist to another group of white europeans.

Whatever about "ethnic discrimination", but "racism" being used in this scenario is risible, and denigrates actual victims of racist violence.

I have seen in my workplace examples of racism of every ethnic group you can imagine against every other ethnic group you can imagine.

I've never seen anything as close to the lunacy of a white lad from Galway calling a white lad from Dublin "racist"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Given that a Pavee Point representative cited "racism" as a reason for this alleged spike in Traveller suicide rates, you can see there are large pinches of salt taken at this.

Perhaps an upbringing with a sense of entitlement doesn't allow for the growth of resilience ?

I see it with students all the time who have been mollycoddled their whole lives; once one thing goes against them or there is someone who treats them fairly - rather than give them preferential treatment, they crumble.
    Travellers absolutely ARE entitled to be treated with dignity and respect and to not be discriminated against or vilified because of their ethnicity, in the same way every other person in the world is.

This doesn't just apply to ethnicity, it applies to nationality, sexual orientation, gender, colour, class, disability and body characteristics etc.

As an Irish person I rightly expect that if I travel to another country I should not and will not face discrimination based on my Irishness.

Travellers are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT to demand that they should not be subject to discrimination or generalised vilification based on their ethnicity, or denial of their very identity, of the sort Peter Casey engaged in.

And it is a shame to have to explain that very basic point to you and others.

Like a typical Casey supporter, you confuse the basic human entitlements I outline above - human rights in other words - with your own entirely erroneous sense of entitlement that you and other Casey supporters should be allowed to engage in blatant racism without being called out for engaging in blatant racism.

In fact I've never seen a racist who didn't have an outsized and erroneous sense of entitlement that they should be allowed to shoot their ignorant mouth off entirely unchallenged. Racism and a misplaced sense of entitlement are entirely indivisible.

This thing of "racism" being used by travellers is akin to the Ali G sketch where he asks "Iz it coz i iz black". It is not possible for a group of white europeans to be racist to another group of white europeans.

Whatever about "ethnic discrimination", but "racism" being used in this scenario is risible, and denigrates actual victims of racist violence.
    You're clearly not familiar with the UN definition of racism, under which Casey's comments categorically qualify as racism.

You're literally now making up your own definition of racism in order to justify racism.

The lack of self-awareness is stunning.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Travellers absolutely ARE entitled to be treated with dignity and respect and to not be discriminated against or vilified because of their ethnicity, in the same way every other person in the world is.

This doesn't just apply to ethnicity, it applies to nationality, sexual orientation, gender, colour, class, disability and body characteristics etc.

As an Irish person I rightly expect that if I travel to another country I should not and will not face discrimination based on my Irishness.

Travellers are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT to demand that they should not be subject to discrimination or generalised vilification based on their ethnicity, or denial of their very identity, of the sort Peter Casey engaged in.

Like a typical Casey supporter, you confuse the basic human entitlements I outline above - human rights in other words - with your own entirely erroneous sense of entitlement that you and other Casey supporters should be allowed to engage in blatant racism without being called out for engaging in blatant racism.

In fact I've never seen a racist who didn't have an outsized and erroneous sense of entitlement that they should be allowed to shoot their ignorant mouth off entirely unchallenged. Racism and a misplaced sense of entitlement are entirely indivisible.

I would make my feelings to that abdundantly clear but fear a ban.

Suffice to say, I vehemently disagree and feel every single part of that post is utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

and to not be discriminated against or vilified because of their ethnicity, in the same way every other person in the world is.

But we can still vilify them based on their behaviour and amount of convictions no?

Or is that not okay either?

(jess checkin)

wexie wrote: »
    But we can still vilify them based on their behaviour and amount of convictions no?

Or is that not okay either?

(jess checkin)

I'd say he thinks not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Given that a Pavee Point representative cited "racism" as a reason for this alleged spike in Traveller suicide rates, you can see there are large pinches of salt taken at this.

Perhaps an upbringing with a sense of entitlement doesn't allow for the growth of resilience ?

I see it with students all the time who have been mollycoddled their whole lives; once one thing goes against them or there is someone who treats them fairly - rather than give them preferential treatment, they crumble.

I'm sorry I could only thank this post once.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You're clearly not familiar with the UN definition of racism, under which Casey's comments categorically qualify as racism.

You're literally now making up your own definition of racism in order to justify racism.

Here's an example of the first few google results for "define race"
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(sociology)

In short, these are the races. And I do not see "Irish Travellers" mentioned
    • Caucasoid (White) race
    • Negroid (Black) race
    • Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) race
    • Mongoloid (Oriental/ Amerindian) race
    • Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan) race

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Go on then...

What are all these bad things people have being doing to them?

• Advertisement

Go on then...

What are all these bad things people have being doing to them?

I told a group of them I didn't want them in my back garden once - was that mean of me ?

It was 5am like!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Racism at play there lol

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Racism at play there lol
    Stop being racist to me!

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Racism at play there lol

Did I aggravate the offence by telling them to "get the f**k out of there you scrawny c***" ???

They were trying to demonstrate their ancient crafts by syphoning off my heating oil, you know - in the old way, just to survive!!

Did I aggravate the offence by telling them to "get the f**k out of there you scrawny c***" ???

They were trying to demonstrate their ancient crafts by syphoning off my heating oil, you know - in the old way, just to survive!!
    That's being racist against scrawny people, against c***s, against ancient crafts, and against oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No one would have an issue with any of that, I think it is fair to say Irish people while not perfect have managed to welcome people from all over the world who have settled in our towns and cities rather seamlessly, many of whom didn't even speak the language when they got here, were of different colour skin, dress and mannerisms.

I don't think too many people would have a problem with Traveller ethnicity either if there wasn't an anti social element.

Its funny, if you talk to anyone who remembers rural ireland in the 50s and 60s they will tell you fondly of how the travellers interacted with the country folk, my own extended family would often refer to these times.....BEFORE there was any mention of ethnicity.

What has happened since the 50s and 60s is the proliferation of the Welfare State, and societies value and access to education it has done enormous damage to Traveler Culture who no longer needs to do odd jobs from town to town to survive and can no longer co exist with Irish society like it used.

It is very sad that a society in this day and age, we cannot address the recurring generational issues which are now blatantly evident!

A quick flip of the ethnic switch and we all have to shut up! Or risk the kind of condescending nonsense evident in not just your post, but across the entire media landscape.

How is my sense of entitlement manifesting in my opinions or my vote for Peter Casey, I don't want stables in by back yard paid for by the state, I want to work for a living and contribute to society and accept my responsibilities as a citizen of Irish society, as do the vast majority of us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I told a group of them I didn't want them in my back garden once - was that mean of me ?

It was 5am like!

I count 33 houses on our road back home and only 2 maybe 3 at best have not been broken into by travellers. Everyone in the road works or are OAP. But hey we are just a bunch of racists sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I had to be awful racist once too and ask them to stop breaking into my house..

They slashed my tyres because they were so aggrieved by my blatant racism.

Bless em

That's being racist against scrawny people, against c***s, against ancient crafts, and against oil.

Damn, I'd hate to offend oil - it warms me feet!!!!

Well, it does now I replaced it lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

mickdw wrote: »
    The behaviour of government and the entire media in the build up to the vote was a disgrace. It was a clear attempt to paint Casey as a fool and a racist and the publishing of old poll data the last weekend with little will to highlight that it was old data not reflecting Casey comments was nothing short of high level corruption.

X1000

I agree with Casey and have zero time for political correctness in fact i love nothing more then winding up SJW's..

But what I found so incredibly sinister in all of this was the manner in which our entire state successfully manipulated this election.

How dare a Taoiseach tell a country how to vote.

What the government did to Casey is not all that different to what was done to Maurice McCabe.

It's sickening and honestly makes me nervous to live in a state as corrupt as ours has become..

As for our current President, I used to have great respect for the man. I have none now and i sincerely hope he ends up regretting doing second term.

Now, when are we going to see these expenses ?

• Advertisement

Suffice to say, I vehemently disagree and feel every single part of that post is utter nonsense.

Well, at least you've now explicitly admitted that you think people don't have to the right not to be discriminated against or vilified based on their ethnicity, religion, skin colour, gender sexual orientation, disability etc.

So at least we know what kind of a person we're dealing with, and I think it's safe to say it isn't a rational one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rennaws wrote: »
    I had to be awful racist once too and ask them to stop breaking into my house..

They slashed my tyres because they were so aggrieved by my blatant racism.

Bless em

You should do a AMA thread for boards.

Now ye're talking - to a Racist.

:P

Well, at least you've now explicitly admitted that you think people don't have to the right not to be discriminated against or vilified based on their ethnicity, religion, skin colour, gender sexual orientation, disability etc.

I made no such assertion, you are making things up to suit your point and I do not appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

so let me see.

So far we are laying the blame on all the social issues, all rural crime, the housing crisis, welfare fraud, and now suicide in rural ireland at the door of one group of people.

Grand job, the oul vilification of a small section of society for all our ills is strong in this one.

Ye folks really need to take a look at yourselfs. But im sure you wont like what you see. This is why you are angry so hard on the internet about it.

No one would have an issue with any of that,
    But then you go on to have an issue with it.

As well as "liking" a post that said in response to it:

So "you have no issue with it", apart from the issue you apparently have with every single part of it.

I made no such assertion, you are making things up to suit your point and I do not appreciate it.

I haven't made made anything up.

Admitting that you think people don't have to the right not to be discriminated against or vilified based on their ethnicity, religion, skin colour, gender sexual orientation, disability etc. is exactly what you did, and here's the proof, with the relevant part of my post and your response that you did exactly what I said you did.

I haven't made made anything up.

Admitting that you think people don't have to the right not to be discriminated against or vilified based on their ethnicity, religion, skin colour, gender sexual orientation, disability etc. is exactly what you did, and here's the proof, with the relevant part of my post and your response that you did exactly what I said you did.
    So you're just ignoring this then:

Here's an example of the first few google results for "define race"
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(sociology)

In short, these are the races. And I do not see "Irish Travellers" mentioned
    • Caucasoid (White) race
    • Negroid (Black) race
    • Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) race
    • Mongoloid (Oriental/ Amerindian) race
    • Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan) race

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No ELM we get it,

This conversation needed to be had, Travellers are the cause of all the countries current woes. Thank the lord we had Casey to point it out.

What would be your solution to this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

But then you go on to have an issue with it.

As well as "liking" a post that said in response to it.

So "you have no issue with it", apart from the issue you apparently have with every single part of it.

I have no issue with treating people with respect irregardless of their colour, creed, nationality, sexuality etc etc on condition, like the rest of us, contribute in a positive manner to society....it is one of the responsibilities a citizen gets along with the rights of that same citizen.

Now I'll ask again, where is my (or any other posters) sense of entitlement evident in my opinions?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    so let me see.

So far we are laying the blame on all the social issues, all rural crime, the housing crisis, welfare fraud, and now suicide in rural ireland at the door of one group of people.

Grand job, the oul vilification of a small section of society for all our ills is strong in this one.

Ye folks really need to take a look at yourselfs. But im sure you wont like what you see. This is why you are angry so hard on the internet about it.

I think they're known in far right circles as "edgelords", or something.

They're about as "edgy" as a blancmange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement