Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    I haven't made made anything up.

Admitting that you think people don't have to the right not to be discriminated against or vilified based on their ethnicity, religion, skin colour, gender sexual orientation, disability etc. is exactly what you did, and here's the proof, with the relevant part of my post and your response that you did exactly what I said you did.

You're really not worth bothering with but just before I go - I abhor racism, genuine sexism, I have been an advocate for LGBT rights for decades; I have been discriminate against myself based on birthplace, gender and child status (I have no children and I have been asked to work more hours than those with children).

Wanting Travellers to be treated EQUALLY is not racist, homophobia, sexism etc and I think to try to equate the two is abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're really not worth bothering with but just before I go - I abhor racism, genuine sexism, I have been an advocate for LGBT rights for decades; I have been discriminate against myself based on birthplace, gender and child status (I have no children and I have been asked to work more hours than those with children).

Wanting Travellers to be treated EQUALLY is not racist, homophobia, sexism etc and I think to try to equate the two is abhorrent.

Thanking posts blaming them for suicide rates in rural ireland, Really ups your credentials in abhoring things.

Right on brotha right on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

listermint wrote: »
    Thanking posts blaming them for suicide rates in rural ireland, Really ups your credentials in abhoring things.

Right on brotha right on

Sista.

And that never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Planespeaking dont be an advocate for LGBT rights if you are not an advocate for all.

Yours

The Gays

Sista.

And that never happened.

You are so outraged in your outrage over travellers that you dont even know what you are doing

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108500119&postcount=8189

Its quite telling that the folks who give out about PC people and liberals being outraged all the time are in fact those that go around trying to outrage each other on forums , boards, and social media.

Its almost like there is no real mass 'left' and its just a tiny bunch of people on the far right and a tiny bunch of people on the far left and then just all the rest of us sitting in the middle just trying to live and get by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Read back.

You have two choices to decide what you've done here.

Either i) admit that what I've said about your views as posted here is categorically correct, or ii) admit an epic comprehension failing on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No ELM we get it,

This conversation needed to be had, Travellers are the cause of all the countries current woes. Thank the lord we had Casey to point it out.

What would be your solution to this problem.

Equal treatment, less hyperbole, and a three strikes you're out policy on crime

Right on brotha right on
    No one blamed them for suicide rates solely, merely stated two facts , one of which being that suicide is very prevalent in rural ireland, particularly amongst male farmers living alone.

Try_harder wrote: »
    Planespeaking dont be an advocate for LGBT rights if you are not an advocate for all.

Yours

The Gays

Didn't realise the gays had a spokesperson. Are you david norris or panti bliss?

I believe planespeeking has a similar outlook of equal treatment for all as I do, rather than advocating for the rights of one group over another.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Equal treatment, less hyperbole, and a three strikes you're out policy on crime

No one blamed them for suicide rates solely, merely stated two facts , one of which being that suicide is very prevalent in rural ireland, particularly amongst male farmers living alone.

Oh they did, You thanked it.

Keep the vilification coming i lap it up. It just demonstrates clearly the hilarious ranty levels people can get to in their pursuit to expose leftys. Whilst looking rather ridiculous themselves.

Hyberbole ? Youve a degree in it in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No ELM we get it,

This conversation needed to be had, Travellers are the cause of all the countries current woes. Thank the lord we had Casey to point it out.

What would be your solution to this problem.

you think they should be treated differently?! Nobody is above the law, you build more prison spaces and you put away anybody that commits serious crimes! No bloody discrimination, just any citizen of planet earth!

All this bull**** about whats the solution, is it trolling or serious?

• Advertisement

Oh they did, You thanked it.

Keep the vilification coming i lap it up. It just demonstrates clearly the hilarious ranty levels people can get to in their pursuit to expose leftys. Whilst looking rather ridiculous themselves.

Hyberbole ? Youve a degree in it in here.

I most certainly do not engage in hyperbole. Certainly not at your PHD level, if I have a degree.

There is no vilification. It was first classed as "racism". When that was roundly derided and disproven, then it was moved on to vilification. Eventually we'll get to the truth. Which is the wave of crime perpetrated by these people, and the fear that people outside the pale live in daily.

Pubs in many rural towns (including my own) close the doors en masse when they hear "the travellers" are out on the town. They would rather close up than risk having them on the premises. As a commercial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

so let me see.

So far we are laying the blame on all the social issues, all rural crime, the housing crisis, welfare fraud, and now suicide in rural ireland at the door of one group of people.

Grand job, the oul vilification of a small section of society for all our ills is strong in this one.

Ye folks really need to take a look at yourselfs. But im sure you wont like what you see. This is why you are angry so hard on the internet about it.

No just more hysteria here from you.

Just people pointing out what they have come across and no action has been taken.

If you think ordinary people who mind their own business is the problem then it's you that needs a good look at yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Didn't realise the gays had a spokesperson. Are you david norris or panti bliss?

I believe planespeeking has a similar outlook of equal treatment for all as I do, rather than advocating for the rights of one group over another.

I wasnt addressing you. The gays were told we couldnt have equality and were blamed for evils in society like HIV and paedophilia. So I understand some of what they experience- prejudice

I wasnt addressing you. The gays were told we couldnt have equality and were blamed for evils in society like HIV and paedophilia. So I understand some of what they experience- prejudice
    It's a public forum. If you want to just address one user and exclude everyone else then I suggest the PM function.

I have no issue with treating people with respect irregardless of their colour, creed, nationality, sexuality etc etc on condition, like the rest of us, contribute in a positive manner to society....it is one of the responsibilities a citizen gets along with the rights of that same citizen.

See, according to this, you're actually now telling us that you should be able to legitimise any sort of bigotry based on colour, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, disability etc., because you include a qualifier.

"Contributing in a positive manner society" is one of these nebulous "how long is a piece of string" comments.

One can dream up any old **** to justify saying people are "not contributing positively to society". This notion itself relies on prejudice.

Is a person who is paralysed from the neck down "contributing positively to society"? What if they're a gay or a black person who is paralysed from the neck down?

Is somebody with dementia "contributing positively to society?

One can easily envisage how all sorts of people can be vilified as "not contributing positively to society".

The Nazis claimed the Jews were not contributing positively to society and justified their vilification and ultimate slaughter of them on exactly this basis.

This thread is full of the same type of justification for vilification and racism against Travellers.

Now you're telling us with a straight face that the very basis on which the Nazis vilified and ultimately slaughtered the Jews, is actually legitimate grounds for discrimination and vilification of people on grounds of "colour, creed, nationality, sexuality etc."!!!!!!

In the reality of civilised, liberal societies, there are and should NEVER be ANY qualifiers for anybody to have the right to be treated with dignity and respect based on their colour, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or bodily characteristics.

The ignorance of history is utterly astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Travellers absolutely ARE entitled to be treated with dignity and respect and to not be discriminated against or vilified because of their ethnicity, in the same way every other person in the world is.

This doesn't just apply to ethnicity, it applies to nationality, sexual orientation, gender, colour, class, disability and body characteristics etc.

As an Irish person I rightly expect that if I travel to another country I should not and will not face discrimination based on my Irishness.

Travellers are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT to demand that they should not be subject to discrimination or generalised vilification ou and

I agree with all that in theory but then again I wouldn't blame a Publican for being apprehensive about hosting a traveller wedding or funeral. Would you? Honestly now, be straight up.

See, according to this, you're actually now telling us that you should be able to legitimise any sort of bigotry based on colour, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, disability etc., because you include a qualifier.

"Contributing in a positive manner society" is one of these nebulous "how long is a piece of string" comments.

One can dream up any old **** to justify saying people are "not contributing positively to society". This notion itself relies on prejudice.

Is a person who is paralysed from the neck down "contributing positively to society"? What if they're a gay or a black person who is paralysed from the neck down?

Is somebody with dementia "contributing positively to society?

One can easily envisage how all sorts of people can be vilified as "not contributing positively to society".

The Nazis claimed the Jews were not contributing positively to society and justified their vilification and ultimate slaughter of them on exactly this basis.

This thread is full of the same type of justification for vilification and racism against Travellers.

Now you're telling us with a straight face that the very basis on which the Nazis vilified and ultimately slaughtered the Jews, is actually legitimate grounds for discrimination and vilification of people on grounds of "colour, creed, nationality, sexuality etc."!!!!!!

In the reality of civilised, liberal societies, there are and should NEVER be ANY qualifiers for anybody to have the right to be treated with dignity and respect based on their colour, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or bodily characteristics.

The ignorance of history is utterly astounding.

You use this word, racism, but I don't think you understand what it means. For reference:

Here's an example of the first few google results for "define race"
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(sociology)

In short, these are the races. And I do not see "Irish Travellers" mentioned
    • Caucasoid (White) race
    • Negroid (Black) race
    • Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) race
    • Mongoloid (Oriental/ Amerindian) race
    • Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan) race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That was prejudice.

A 70 year old farmer hiding out in a shed all night with a shotgun because he knows a gang of travelers are going to come and assault, rob and potentially murder him isn't prejudiced..

He's just terrified.

I think they're known in far right circles as "edgelords", or something.

They're about as "edgy" as a blancmange.

I'd love to know how having a problem with a group's disproportionate crime stats equates to being "far right". You defeat yourself with that type of tripe.

You use this word, racism, but I don't think you understand what it means. For reference:

You don't understand the term "racial discrimination".

The UN defines it as such:

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

I place a lot weight in that definition.

You haven't even offered a definition, though we can all assume it doesn't include anti-Traveller prejudice.

Earlier on you told us that there could be no such thing as racism (racial discrimination) between white Europeans.

According to your own definition of race and racism, can you tell us, was the Holocaust racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Omackeral wrote: »
    I agree with all that in theory but then again I wouldn't blame a Publican for being apprehensive about hosting a traveller wedding or funeral. Would you? Honestly now, be straight up.

Publicans are just showing another level of discrimination, travellers have done nothing wrong for publicans to treat them this way.

Sure ask anyone, they'll tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You don't understand the term "racial discrimination".

The UN defines it as such:

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

What's the objective of this ?

I couldn't give a sh1te if my dislike for travelers is labeled as "racial discrimination". You can label it whatever you like. It's born out of 45 years of negative personal experience and there's nothing you, the government or the UN can do or say to change that.

You love to throw these labels about as if they hold some extra meaning or power. They don't and even if they did, you overuse them to the extent that you belittle those who do suffer genuine racism, bigotry, prejudice etc.

You are part of the problem and you can't see it.

I'd love to know how having a problem with a group's disproportionate crime stats equates to being "far right". You defeat yourself with that type of tripe.

I see you're still trying to rationalise and justify racism by choosing to airbrush Peter Casey's racism from history.

To listen to you, one would think racism doesn't even count as "far right" now.

You are desperately trying to include the colour, nationality, sexual orientation factor here and all it's doing is going against your point. Most people have no issues with Chinese folks, gay people or anyone law except for... you guessed it. I doubt a pub's landlord would sh*t themselves if a few dozen French people came to their premises, for example. You trying to tie those other groups in kinda damages your argument rather than enhance it.
    The Nazis claimed ......

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rennaws wrote: »
    What's the objective of this ?

I couldn't give a sh1te if my dislike for travelers is labeled as "racial discrimination". You can label it whatever you like. It's born out of 45 years of negative personal experience and there's nothing you, the government or the UN can do or say to change that.

You love to throw these labels about as if they hold some extra meaning or power. They don't and even if they did, you overuse them to the extent that you belittle those who do suffer genuine racism, bigotry, prejudice etc.

You are part of the problem and you can't see it.

Another one shamelessly justifying anecdote-based racial discrimination.

"No blacks, no dogs, no Irish."

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Casey: easily engaged with those easily ennraged. Two or three week wonder and the pack will move on to the next thing

Wrong.
    Casey spoke for those who saw recently how the entitlement culture works and how our taxes are being used. He is a one hit wonder for sure but the issues are still there if an actual politician wants to take them up.

Plus he made a good bit of money for those of us who predicted how "the easily enraged" would rightfully react. Why did they react that way? Well you know yourself Francie. You were here long enough.

You are desperately trying to include the colour, nationality, sexual orientation factor here and all it's doing is going against your point. Most people have no issues with Chinese folks, gay people or anyone law except for... you guessed it. I doubt a pub's landlord would sh*t themselves if a few dozen French people came to their premises, for example. You trying to tie those other groups in kinda damages your argument rather than enhance it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please come back when you've decided to deal with the actual substantial points I've raised.

I see you're still trying to rationalise and justify racism by choosing to airbrush Peter Casey's racism from history.

To listen to you, one would think racism doesn't even count as "far right" now.

I don't comsoder criticising a group's practises and lifestyle choices to be racism whatsoever. It's nothing to do with race. They could be black people in wheelchairs carrying on the same way and I'd say the same.

I don't comsoder criticising a group's practises and lifestyle choices to be racism whatsoever.
    Again, you're refusing to deal with the actual racism by obfuscating and deflection.

Keep sticking your head in the sand, by all means.

• Advertisement

Another one shamelessly justifying anecdote-based racial discrimination.

"No blacks, no dogs, no Irish."

"Anecdotal". Here's a stat for you. 50% of inmates in Castlerea are Travellers. That's not an anecdote, that's a fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement