Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ELM327 wrote: »
    I most certainly do not engage in hyperbole. Certainly not at your PHD level, if I have a degree.

There is no vilification. It was first classed as "racism". When that was roundly derided and disproven, then it was moved on to vilification. Eventually we'll get to the truth. Which is the wave of crime perpetrated by these people, and the fear that people outside the pale live in daily.

Pubs in many rural towns (including my own) close the doors en masse when they hear "the travellers" are out on the town. They would rather close up than risk having them on the premises. As a commercial decision.

Il ask you again for the umpteenth time.

When did I refer to you or anyone else as racist.

Go ahead point to it.

Yes you are engaged in vilification your making yourself look stupid with the points your making. Your calling your opposers names like Ilk which means you think anyone that doesn't rage like you is lesser subservient .

Do you even get the language you use

Clearly not.

Ok let's continue to vilifiy people for the entire countries ills . We are all wrong in calling you out on your obviously superior knowledge

Hill16Bhoy probably a Sinn Fein supporter. Wont be many of them left soon.

Once upon a time they dominated Irish political discussion online. Back to your Twitter safe space Bhoy with the other permanently offended types

Irony.

Your offended by travellers.

Enraged in fact.

Permanently offended.

Should we start on the welfare recipients let's really ramp that outrage dial up to max.

No just more hysteria here from you.

Just people pointing out what they have come across and no action has been taken.

If you think ordinary people who mind their own business is the problem then it's you that needs a good look at yourself

Hysteria.

I suggest you look it up because I haven't said a tap that's hysterical.

Pointing out your obvious rage doesn't make something a hysterical statement.

Saying travellers are responsible for rural suicide.

Lol well.. as I said I suggest you look up hysteria perhaps hyperbole too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apparently its a different Martin, Martin Ward but I would say your bet is still safe with this chap.

Not sure how they can claim to understand voters concerns by censoring their views. That Niamh one might take the Casey side though maybe. The show has terrible guests otherwise it could be interesting .

If it is Martin Ward of Tuam well he comes across a wee bit more conciliatory than the Pavee Point "Racism is the root cause of everything " brigade.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He sounds OK and let's give him a voice and see what he has to say.

This is a recent article from IT. Shock horror, they allowed him to speak things, never spoken by Traveller rep groups up to now. But still, those who have concerns on the Settled side never seem to be able to speak. Anyway let's see..

"Mr Ward also believes that, regardless of the phrasing of Mr Casey’s remarks, the controversy has “brought to light concerns that people have around Travellers – and the belief that they are the bane of all things”.

“I think some of it was a protest vote and some maybe voted for him because they feel that Travellers are getting everything and others are voting because they feel he is saying the right thing. I do think it is very important that Travellers’ groups don’t get carried away. We need to look at it and examine it and address it in a positive way.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/tuam-it-s-important-traveller-groups-don-t-get-carried-away-1.3678861

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

listermint wrote: »
    Irony.

Enraged in fact.

Permanently offended.

Should we start on the welfare recipients let's really ramp that outrage dial up to max.
    Criminal thugs who act with impunity and batter elderly people to a pulp do offend me
    Its a bit worse than words, although it may not get a hashtag on twitter from your ilk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

There's a traveller's video sharing page I follow on FB mainly because some of the call out for fights videos are funny, but occasionally something like this is posted:

https://www.facebook.com/bigbimmy.maughan/videos/vb.100012742868144/512978639136894/?type=2&theater

What's most disturbing is the reaction of the followers, most think this kind of thing is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

In 10 years the world will be full of jars of food, women cant open them and it would be sexist/racist for a man to help.

Im sure the incels Of Boards can open stiff jars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Try_harder wrote: »
    Im sure the incels Of Boards can open stiff jars!

It that sexist ?

Apt username

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Irony.

Enraged in fact.

Permanently offended.

*You're

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hysteria.

I suggest you look it up because I haven't said a tap that's hysterical.

Pointing out your obvious rage doesn't make something a hysterical statement.

Saying travellers are responsible for rural suicide.

Lol well.. as I said I suggest you look up hysteria perhaps hyperbole too.

It's you're the one raging. I'm alright with telling the truth

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    They need more of the Casey Vote /Message in Elections .

Rural law and Order Candidates is the only way this message is going to hit home .

It is not only rural areas that have crime, but I get your point that rural areas possibly experience more crime than urban areas. Quite vulnerable I would imagine, given the easy way to access fast motorways out. But that can apply to anyone with criminal intent. But many know it is Travellers but are not allowed to say it.

A Law and Order party. OK, I hope they have more success than FG the Law and Order party. :D

Enda Kenny lobbed in the ethnicity recognition, and fecked off to the sunset. I bet he is laughing his socks off now, as Travellers will love him for this. Clever of him and revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If it is Martin Ward of Tuam well he comes across a wee bit more conciliatory than the Pavee Point "Racism is the root cause of everything " brigade.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He sounds OK and let's give him a voice and see what he has to say.

This is a recent article from IT. Shock horror, they allowed him to speak things, never spoken by Traveller rep groups up to now. But still, those who have concerns on the Settled side never seem to be able to speak. Anyway let's see..

"Mr Ward also believes that, regardless of the phrasing of Mr Casey’s remarks, the controversy has “brought to light concerns that people have around Travellers – and the belief that they are the bane of all things”.

“I think some of it was a protest vote and some maybe voted for him because they feel that Travellers are getting everything and others are voting because they feel he is saying the right thing. I do think it is very important that Travellers’ groups don’t get carried away. We need to look at it and examine it and address it in a positive way.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/tuam-it-s-important-traveller-groups-don-t-get-carried-away-1.3678861
    It would be great if the IT movement took his advice on board and actually examined the situation. At least he's not another Collins who can only throw out the old "racist" rubbish. Pavee Point are doing nothing for Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I'd like you to explain to me in detail where I've defended travellers at all. Details please.

This is becoming really meta, and examples are all over the internet.

So the setup is that someone online believes that being a victim gives greater authority (that in itself is a head-scratcher) so they doll themselves up as such. They get really angry.. or pretend to.. and belittle their opponents.

Next they'll say that their opponents are feigning victim-hood, and have imaginary enemies, and are in fact, belittling them (or a specific group of people; or both).

Then they'll pick out a public persona
    You and anyone that voted for Mr chancer

.. that they can make the focus of hate, usually saying that they are shady, 'crooked' to quote Trump, or a charlatan. They'll say that everyone who disagrees with them is a supporter of this Emmanuel Goldstein figure, and then go onto say how anybody who supports that figure is a fool.

Has this line of debate started to have its day? I hope so. It's pretty tiresome, and I've seen it from many different people from all across the political spectrum in the last couple of years.

Oh yeah, listermint, your attempt at the baiting and faux outrage is alright, but doesn't have enough pathos. I think it would have been better if you'd kept it snappier, but repeating the same tactic over multiple pages made the formula a bit obvious in your case. Also the idea of someone lol'ing and being angry at the same time doesn't quite work.
    Ok let's continue to vilifiy people for the entire countries ills . We are all wrong in calling you out on your obviously superior knowledge

And this is too arch.

It would be great if the IT movement took his advice on board and actually examined the situation. At least he's not another Collins who can only throw out the old "racist" rubbish. Pavee Point are doing nothing for Travellers.

Casey did have a go at Pavee Point too, and quite rightly too IMO. They have had millions thrown their way for this and that, but I for one do not see any improvement in Traveller education, health, early marriage and misogyny etc. But I hope I am wrong.

Sadly, all bets are now off in this house for Martin Collins saying the R word within X seconds. Sigh. :P

Be interesting to see what Martin Ward has to say. I may not be able to watch live, so might rely on input from here if anyone is watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Casey did have a go at Pavee Point too, and quite rightly too IMO. They have had millions thrown their way for this and that, but I for one do not see any improvement in Traveller education, health, early marriage and misogyny etc. But I hope I am wrong.

Ah, but see, Pavee point aren't there to try to improve anything, they're just defending the status quo, not to change or improve it in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Apparently its a different Martin, Martin Ward but I would say your bet is still safe with this chap.

Not sure how they can claim to understand voters concerns by censoring their views. That Niamh one might take the Casey side though maybe. The show has terrible guests otherwise it could be interesting .

Niamh Horan usually takes whatever the unpopular view on things is, not sure if she believes in any of them but I hope she does the same on the show.
    Ciara 'Hmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmmmm, I'm not disagreeing with you' Kelly is a complete twat with a love for everything PC.
    Martin Ward I haven't heard him before so look forward to that.
    And lastly, Brendan O'Connor has no problem playing devils advocate.

Might be a good watch.......Or complete rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    I see you're still trying to rationalise and justify racism by choosing to airbrush Peter Casey's racism from history.

To listen to you, one would think racism doesn't even count as "far right" now.

You’re presuming the conclusion about travellers being a race there. With more legitimacy we could call Irish speakers a race. Or much of the Dublin southside. (Old English).

Is there any reason why travelling sites are situated in the poorest places in Ireland. Particularly in Dublin, the halting sites are situated on the west and past the M50.

Which is the reason why much of the traveller gang violence against pensioners is rural (the access to the motorways), and it’s that violence that is curdling relationships.

Surely it’s not fair on deprived parts of Dublin or the country (Tipp town has an unemployment rate of 34%) to add to the deprivation by adding halting sites - nor fair on the travellers.

Some, if not most, of traveller deprivation is due to the environment and since few of the richest parts of Dublin have halting sites but have nevertheless the best resources, schools, libraries, facilities and (by their own admission) the best and least racist people it is surely incumbent on us to place all halting sites in the leafy suburbs. Resistance to this would clearly be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

You’re presuming the conclusion about travellers being a race there. With more legitimacy we could call Irish speakers a race. Or much of the Dublin southside. (Old English).

Is there any reason why travelling sites are situated in the poorest places in Ireland. Particularly in Dublin, the halting sites are situated on the west and past the M50.

Which is the reason why much of the traveller gang violence against pensioners is rural (the access to the motorways), and it’s that violence that is curdling relationships.

Surely it’s not fair on deprived parts of Dublin or the country (Tipp town has an unemployment rate of 34%) to add to the deprivation by adding halting sites - nor fair on the travellers. Some, if not most, of the deprivation is due to the environment and since few of the richest parts of Dublin have halting sites but have nevertheless the best resources, schools, libraries, facilities and (by their own admission) the best and least racist people it is surely incumbent on us to place all halting sites in the least suburbs. Resistance to this would clearly be racist.

See your using logic here which is your first mistake when arguing against the lefties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

See your using logic here which is your first mistake when arguing against the lefties.

I’ll keep hounding him for an answer.

By the way we tend to judge people by what they do not what they say. Or we should. The Catholic Church preached sexual probity while buggering the choirboys and covering it up.

The priesthood of the leafy suburbs preaches anti racism but in its actions excludes halting sites from its own suburbs either by political action or by such a control over the mindshare that the idea is not even contemplated.

The leafy suburbs are racist.

(Here’s where the major halting sites in dublin are).

Tara Lawns, Belcamp Lane, Coolock, Dublin 17
    North West Area:
    St Margaret’s Park, St Margaret’s Road, Ballymun, Dublin 11
    St Joseph’s Park, Dunsink Lane, Finglas, Dublin 11
    South Central Area
    St Oliver’s Park, Cloverhill Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22

Criminal thugs who act with impunity and batter elderly people to a pulp do offend me
    Its a bit worse than words, although it may not get a hashtag on twitter from your ilk

Name calling.

It's the classic go to of someone who can't articulate their points.

It's only exposing ignorance. So keep it firing.

• Advertisement

This is becoming really meta, and examples are all over the internet.

So the setup is that someone online believes that being a victim gives greater authority (that in itself is a head-scratcher) so they doll themselves up as such. They get really angry.. or pretend to.. and belittle their opponents.

Next they'll say that their opponents are feigning victim-hood, and have imaginary enemies, and are in fact, belittling them (or a specific group of people; or both).

Then they'll pick out a public persona

.. that they can make the focus of hate, usually saying that they are shady, 'crooked' to quote Trump, or a charlatan. They'll say that everyone who disagrees with them is a supporter of this Emmanuel Goldstein figure, and then go onto say how anybody who supports that figure is a fool.

Has this line of debate started to have its day? I hope so. It's pretty tiresome, and I've seen it from many different people from all across the political spectrum in the last couple of years.

Oh yeah, listermint, your attempt at the baiting and faux outrage is alright, but doesn't have enough pathos. I think it would have been better if you'd kept it snappier, but repeating the same tactic over multiple pages made the formula a bit obvious in your case. Also the idea of someone lol'ing and being angry at the same time doesn't quite work.

And this is too arch.

Ah grand so feigning the victim is it ?

When you have to resort to name Calling in a debate,
    Sorry horse it's not playing the victim it's pointing out name calling. You know, the stuff kids do in playgrounds when they cant the get words out

We're adults here so a bit of cop on is warranted.

Secondly you are outraged, your thanks brigade are outraged you've spent pages upon pages being more outraged than the last page.

This is great stuff because in your efforts to point out how liberals are constantly outraged your showing how your are a mirror of the people you hate.

Yes your right this is amusing.im not angry I'm laughing at it.

And then getting angry at journalists who's job it is to stir up the **** with topical pieces. Outrage tastic

:)

Arrrggghh the pc world is out to get me and my supposedly conservative views. Why am I so attacked arrrrghhhhhhh

The day that D4 equivalents have to experience the very issue they say we should NEVER question, is the day I will listen.

Ah grand so feigning the victim is it ?

When you have to resort to name Calling in a dwbat.
    Sorry horse it's not playing the victim it's pointing out name calling. You stuff kids do in playgrounds when they can get words out

We're adults here so a bit of cop on is warranted.

Secondly you are outraged your thanks brigade are outraged you've spent pages upon pages being more outraged than the page before it

This is great stuff because in your efforts to point out how liberals are constantly outraged your showing how your are a mirror of the people you hate.

Yes your right this is amusing.im not angry I'm laughing at it.

And then getting angry at journalists who's job it is to stir up the **** with topical pieces. Outrage tastic

Arrrggghh the pc world is out to get me and my supposedly conservative views. Why am I so attacked arrrrghhhhhhh
    What is this gobbledegook.

I lived up the road from 2 halting sites. I spent my college years in part time work ejecting the local traveller kids from the retail store because they used to perform a distraction theft game.

I still don't have the level of outrage that people in here have . I have full experience of travellers.

It's evident many folks have nothing but ranty time on their hands blowing issues to epic proportions. It's quite sad really.

Pretending people with the opposite view point don't have experience of travellers is amusing.

Yours , bemused

Lister

What is this gobbledegook.

It's evidently spell correction on a phone gone wrong.

Make you angry does it ?

Enough to start a thread about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I lived up the road from 2 halting sites. I spent my college years in part time work ejecting the local traveller kids from the retail store because they used to perform a distraction theft game.

I still don't have the level of outrage that people in here have . I have full experience of travellers.

It's evident many folks have nothing but ranty time on their hands blowing issues to epic proportions. It's quite sad really.

Pretending people with the opposite view point don't have experience of travellers is amusing.

Yours , bemused

Lister

Read the first few lines.
    If that's not testament to the overwhelming evidence of traveller crime being really high then your head is in the sand.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524?mode=amp

It's evidently spell correction on a phone gone wrong.

Make you angry does it ?

Enough to start a thread about it ?

Sorry. I forgot schools were off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

The day that D4 equivalents have to experience the very issue they say we should NEVER question, is the day I will listen.
    Doubt Leo the Liar and his D4 cronies in Fine Gael have any experience dealing with travellers. These people live a very sheltered existence and every year seem to become more detached from the realities of ordinary people..

Edward M wrote: »
    Read the first few lines.
    If that's not testament to the overwhelming evidence of traveller crime being really high then your head is in the sand.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524?mode=amp

You missed the part where I had to throw out the same family who would come up from a housing estate non traveller. The eldest brother you could spot a mile off.

Is that not evidence of criminality across the board.

Criminals be criminals.

• Advertisement

Doubt Leo the Liar and his D4 cronies in Fine Gael have any experience dealing with travellers. These people live a very sheltered existence and every year seem to become more detached from the realities of ordinary people..

Yeah your so right.

Leo having worked several years as a junior doctors in at James Street hospital .

Loving it up there in a sheltered existence.

Have you ever been in James hospital ?

Do you even know what you are talking about ?

Quality outrage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement