Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry. I forgot schools were off.

Traffic was far lower last two days.

Delightful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Over 50% of prisoners in Castlerea prison are travellers, it's actually majority traveller!

Yet according to the CSO there is only 30k travellers in this country. How can that be defended or explained

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Doubt Leo the Liar and his D4 cronies in Fine Gael have any experience dealing with travellers. These people live a very sheltered existence and every year seem to become more detached from the realities of ordinary people..

Just like our media so.

Where do people turn when they need to voice their concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the question is :

Are there so many travellers in prison because
    a) they carry out more criminal acts, proportionally, than most normal members of society
    b) because the state is racist against them and looking to jail them

Your answer will depend on which angle you approach this topic from.
    Many people seem to think its (b), which I would find very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Martin Ward was elected to the co council and was also the mayor of Tuam at one point, he's level headed enough and doesn't talk complete sh1te like John Connors and Martin Collins but I'd say he will still lay into Casey on this one.

• Advertisement

Over 50% of prisoners in Castlerea prison are travellers, it's actually majority traveller!

Yet according to the CSO there is only 30k travellers in this country. How can that be defended or explained

I'd go out on a limb and say...

Em people won't employ travellers because they're travellers regardless of education.

I'd say that's some crack to be easily identifiable when you open your mouth.

But sure let's continue to get outaged and target them rather than thinking about how to break that cycle.

I know some youth groups are having very good success in places in meath but it needs to spread

Or

Out rage . Rant rant .

Bad travelers booooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

listermint wrote: »
    You missed the part where I had to throw out the same family who would come up from a housing estate non traveller. The eldest brother you could spot a mile off.

Is that not evidence of criminality across the board.

Criminals be criminals.

I can't disagree with your last sentence.
    Fact is though, give the figures there, by far the most criminals per head of population come from a certain "ethnic" culture.
    Take the percentage of travellers at 0.6% to get one tenth and over one fifth of prisoners.
    That is genuine evidence of the point being made.
    But of course its my fault all this is happening, being settled like.

Yeah your so right.

Leo having worked several years as a junior doctors in at James Street hospital .

Loving it up there in a sheltered existence.

Have you ever been in James hospital ?

Do you even know what you are talking about ?

Quality outrage.
    Ah stop , I forgot good aul Leo man of the people, doctor of the travellers

I wonder do the travellers love Leo as much as he loves them. After all the travellers really love gay people ?

Edward M wrote: »
    Fact is though, give the figures there, by far the most criminals per head of population come from a certain "ethnic" culture.
    Take the percentage of travellers at 0.6% to get one tenth and over one fifth of prisoners.

Who said it's your fault.?

I didn't .

Travelers are not employable. Let's not sugar coat it.

Let's not pretend that is not the case.

Is it any wonder depression and and suicide is rampant when your told you are useless to society .

Great crack . I'd love it sign me up.

Ah stop , I forgot good aul Leo man of the people, doctor of the travellers

I wonder do the travellers love Leo as much as he loves them. After all the travellers really love gay people ?

Wait you've switched from leo being sheltered to him being king of the travellers now

Did my factual response about him working as a junior doctor in a busy inner city hospital ruin your narrative?

Have you worked in an inner city hospital?

Do you know what junior doctors do?

Your grand at this whole goalposts lark more of the same please

• Advertisement

Martin Ward was elected to the co council and was also the mayor of Tuam at one point, he's level headed enough and doesn't talk complete sh1te like John Connors and Martin Collins but I'd say he will still lay into Casey on this one.

That's fine, we are all entitled to our views but some more than others it seems.

Any chance of a Peter Casey voter being allowed to speak? I am guessing no, because such voters are disparate and not part of a party, or a pack YET.

Get with the program or else seems to be the message.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Nothing - I would say apart from the usual mantras. Those with opposing views will be silenced again.

I hope I am wrong though! Living in hope that other voices have as much validity as others do.

Casey got a large Tuam vote

Indeed. Same for Rathkeale and Tipp.

Outliers or what I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Imagine if the judges didn't allow them to rack up 80 or so convictions before they were jailed. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He got 33% of the vote here in Galway East, I voted for him myself.

Higgins isn't as well liked here as he thought he was.

That's fine, we are all entitled to our views but some more than others it seems.

Any chance of a Peter Casey voter being allowed to speak? I am guessing no, because such voters are disparate and not part of a party, or a pack YET.

Get with the program or else seems to be the message.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Nothing - I would say apart from the usual mantras. Those with opposing views will be silenced again.

I hope I am wrong though! Living in hope that other voices have as much validity as others do.

All voices are valid.

But make the points valid. Less outrage more solutions.

I guess you'd know that but are choosing to creep around the subject

I didn't .

Is it any wonder depression and and suicide is rampant when your told you are useless to society .

Their biggest problem is themselves perhaps, maybe their own intolerance of individual travellers that don't fit the mould?
    The reason I say my fault is because they reckon its our (my) intolerance of them that's the cause of all their problems, and a good few bleeding hearts from the settled community agree with them.

I didn't .

Why can they not break out from their culture if it is so awful for them.

Plenty of money in Pavee Point to help them to help themselves. That's true isn't it?

All voices are valid.

But make the points valid. Less outrage more solutions.

I guess you'd know that but are choosing to creep around the subject

So what have you offered?

Their biggest problem is themselves perhaps, maybe their own intolerance of individual travellers that don't fit the mould?
    The reason I say my fault is because they reckon its our (my) intolerance of them that's the cause of all their problems, and a good few bleeding hearts from the settled community agree with them.

Why are people that work with travellers bleeding hearts ?

Why are those that work in their community to break young travellers out of that cycle bleeding hearts.

Have you thought that perhaps your narrative is part of the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Watchdog on bbc 1 tonight had a gang that were fly tipping millions of quids worth of rubbish including toxic waste. Were too afraid of naming them as Irish gypsies. (Named mcdonagh.) what a joke..

So what have you offered?

So far I've had to defend that travellers are not responsible for the rural suicide rate.

They are not responsible for all the welfare fraud that exists in the country.

They are not responsible for all the crime in the country.

I guess you could say I'm bringing people back to the reality that outrage and false facts don't help won't help.

It seems people are looking for a final solution here.... Rather than treating people like humans.

Oh and people that try to help traveller see all bleeding hearts

Resounding sensible discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why is Castlerea so high? It must mean that other male prisons have less than 10% travellers.

Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

In Castlerea prison, in Co Roscommon, over 50 per cent of prisoners are Travellers, according to figures presented at a conference in Dublin on Friday.

Right, what have all the millions pumped in to Pavee Point achieved thus far?

Failure looks for more money me thinks to get it right next time. The never ending story.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Watchdog on bbc 1 tonight had a gang that were fly tipping millions of quids worth of rubbish including toxic waste. Were too afraid of naming them as Irish gypsies. (Named mcdonagh.) what a joke..

When has the BBC been afraid to name travellers ?

Genuine question have you evidence of this?

The UK media never had problems naming groups especially gypsies.

Why are people that work with travellers bleeding hearts ?

Why are those that work in their community to break young travellers out of that cycle bleeding hearts.

Have you thought that perhaps your narrative is part of the problem

Case in point!

BTW, I lost a brother to suicide a few years ago, huge sympathy for anyone in that situation.

Right, what have all the millions pumped in to Pavee Point achieved thus far?

Failure looks for more money me thinks to get it right next time. The never ending story.

Pavee point are a useless bunch of cretins

And they shouldn't be the go to group for travellers

Personally I think the money should be redirected to county level community groups .

Why is Castlerea so high? It must mean that other male prisons have less than 10% travellers.

Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

In Castlerea prison, in Co Roscommon, over 50 per cent of prisoners are Travellers, according to figures presented at a conference in Dublin on Friday.

It's a halting site for criminal travellers!

Case in point!

BTW, I lost a brother to suicide a few years ago, huge sympathy for anyone in that situation.

Case in point ?

Can you clarify?

You called people bleeding hearts.

Why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

timthumbni wrote: »

When has the BBC been afraid to name travellers ?

Genuine question have you evidence of this?

The UK media never had problems naming groups especially gypsies.

Watch the episode of Watchdog tonight’s got on the bbc iPlayer. The minute the article started I thought Irish travellers. I was proved correct. You would need to be a bit silly to think otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement