Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

listermint wrote: »
    So far I've had to defend that travellers are not responsible for the rural suicide rate.

They are not responsible for all the welfare fraud that exists in the country.

They are not responsible for all the crime in the country.

I guess you could say I'm bringing people back to the reality that outrage and false facts don't help won't help.

It seems people are looking for a final solution here.... Rather than treating people like humans.

Oh and people that try to help traveller see all bleeding hearts

Resounding sensible discussion here.

You do not have to do anything at all. Just pay for it as we all do with little recompense.

Travellers who are criminals and nutjobs are laughing at us all. That is because we really have no right of reply except on places like here.

There is no reason that Travellers need to be criminals or knuckle draggers, or non educationalists, or marrying off their daughters at sixteen, or denying their children education.

It has certainly not got anything to do with ability to pay either.

Pavee point are a useless bunch of cretins

And they shouldn't be the go to group for travellers

Personally I think the money should be redirected to county level community groups .

No, I think Travellers will never change unless they get loadsa money. Sorry, they have the system sorted. But they don't have to change because they don't have to or want to, will always call the racist/discrimination card forever more.

No one challenges them or their behaviour do they? NO, because they are not allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You do not have to do anything at all. Just pay for it as we all do with little recompense.

Travellers who are criminals and nutjobs are laughing at us all. That is because we really have no right of reply except on places like here.

There is no reason that Travellers need to be criminals or knuckle draggers, or non educationalists, or marrying off their daughters at sixteen, or denying their children education.

It has certainly not got anything to do with ability to pay either.

Insert sentence for any wankery family in an area.

Having lived in areas where I had to go get my brother's stolen bike back after being stolen by non travellers I don't feel the need to just outright blanket people with tags.

Simple fact is travellers are not employable they can't get jobs. People don't allow them into places

What breaks this cycle ? A simple fix it themselves won't solve the problem it's mutual . But sure we could just continue down the road of just hating them forever .

Or put them on a Island , really get rid of them ??

No, I think Travellers will never change unless they get loadsa money. Sorry, they have the system sorted. But they don't have to change because they don't have to or want to, will always call the racist/discrimination card forever more.

No one challenges them or their behaviour do they? NO, because they are not allowed to.

You asked me about pavee point.i gave you an answer.

Then you changed it to me saying give them loadsa money

How anyone can keep up with your post shifting is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Case in point ?

Can you clarify?

You called people bleeding hearts.

Why

I have no problem with people helping travellers,
    I have a problem with people who say or imply that it's my fault they are the way they are.
    Anyone says it is, in my mind is a bleeding heart, I read the implication in your last sentence in your previous point.
    I have enough experience of travellers in pubs, around our locality and our local yards to have an opinion formed on them, from actual experiences, to not trust them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'd go out on a limb and say...

Em people won't employ travellers because they're travellers regardless of education.

I'd say that's some crack to be easily identifiable when you open your mouth.

But sure let's continue to get outaged and target them rather than thinking about how to break that cycle.

I know some youth groups are having very good success in places in meath but it needs to spread

Or

Out rage . Rant rant .

Bad travelers booooo

Bit like Cork people or Kerry people, but yet they seem to be able to get jobs.

Ever wonder why this is?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Bit like Cork people or Kerry people, but yet they seem to be able to get jobs.

Ever wonder why this is?

Eh....

Cork Kerry people .

Wtf are you on about . On the sauce ? :)

Insert sentence for any wankery family in an area.

Having lived in areas where I had to go get my brother's stolen bike back after being stolen by non travellers I don't feel the need to just outright blanket people with tags.

Simple fact is travellers are not employable they can't get jobs. People don't allow them into places

What breaks this cycle ? A simple fix it themselves won't solve the problem it's mutual . But sure we could just continue down the road of just hating them forever .

Or put them on a Island , really get rid of them ??

Travellers, if they really want to that is, could tap into the millions given to Pavee Point to help them out.

But as another poster pointed out, Pavee Point is there to keep the status quo and call everyone else out as racist.

There are so many supports out there for Travellers. Many choose to ignore it.

Lots of people with Special Needs kids would give anything for the supports that Pavee Point have been given. That is not right.

Edward M wrote: »
    I have no problem with people helping travellers,
    I have a problem with people who say or imply that it's my fault they are the way they are.
    Anyone says it is, in my mind is a bleeding heart, I read the implication in your last sentence in your previous point.
    I have enough experience of travellers in pubs, around our locality and our local yards to have an opinion formed on them, from actual experiences, to not trust them.

Who blamed you.

Why are you pretending your being blamed.

Your gas.

I've actual experience of them . Does your experience trump others ?

Again stop acting the victim here no one is blaming you for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd go out on a limb and say...

Em people won't employ travellers because they're travellers regardless of education.

I'd say that's some crack to be easily identifiable when you open your mouth.

But sure let's continue to get outaged and target them rather than thinking about how to break that cycle.

I know some youth groups are having very good success in places in meath but it needs to spread

Or

Out rage . Rant rant .

Bad travelers booooo
    Are you actually saying that they didn't commit the crimes they are in prison for?
    Otherwise your response, once again, makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Eh....

Cork Kerry people .

Wtf are you on about . On the sauce ? :)

You didn't read the post that I quoted ?

WTF are you on about with sauce ?

You asked me about pavee point.i gave you an answer.

Then you changed it to me saying give them loadsa money

How anyone can keep up with your post shifting is beyond me.

Good that I am keeping you all on yer toes now!

Pavee Point has already got loadsa dough. What are the positives from the taxpayer's largesse to this organisation would you like to tell me. Since I cannot see anything from Pavee Point themselves as to the positives after years of taxpayer donations.

Nothing has changed. It has got worse though.

Someone is making money somewhere as usual by spouting soundbytes and doing damn all.

Are you actually saying that they didn't commit the crimes they are in prison for?
    Otherwise your response, once again, makes no sense.

Who said that ?

Why do you lads put words in where they don't exist.

Id imagine it's to push a narrative that you can't push without making stuff up.

Once again where did I say what you implies.

Detail please tayto your a bit light on them.

Good that I am keeping you all on yer toes now!

Pavee Point has already got loadsa dough. What are the positives from the taxpayer's largesse to this organisation would you like to tell me. Since I cannot see anything from Pavee Point themselves as to the positives after years of taxpayer donations.

Nothing has changed. It has got worse though.

Someone is making money somewhere as usual by spouting soundbytes and doing damn all.

As someone who clearly can't read

Where in the jaysus did I defend pavee point ?

Can you read ?

Will you read.... Why didn't you just read......

Who said that ?

Why do you lads put words in where they don't exist.

Id imagine it's to push a narrative that you can't push without making stuff up.

Once again where did I say what you implies.

Detail please tayto your a bit light on them.

So you didn't even read the post you responded to???

As someone who clearly can't read

Where in the jaysus did I defend pavee point ?

Can you read ?

Will you read.... Why didn't you just read......

No need to be so insulting.

Thanks. Not necessary at all.

So you didn't even read the post you responded to???

You said I implied Travellers didn't commit the crimes they were in jail for.

When did I say that

Go on.

No need to be so insulting.

Thanks. Not necessary at all.

Did you read the post or just jump in with two feet ?

Response please.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,539 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My local Tesco has a traveller lady working as a cleaner for the last 14 years or so. So they can find employment.

Did you read the post or just jump in with two feet ?

Response please.

No response needed. You seem to be very upset. THANKS :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Can you explain exactly what Casey said was racist.?
    Denial of Travellers' ethnicity is categorically racist.

Claiming that Jews basically live in the White House is categorically anti-semitic. Anti-semitism = racism.

Calling Leo Varadkar "an Indian" in the manner he did was categorically a racist dog whistle.

Add to that Casey's general vilification by anecdote and general vilificatory tone against Travellers and you a have a rancid cocktail of racism that would have fitted in perfectly in 1933 Germany.

A cocktail which a load of posters here seem to love and be drunk on, because these posters have a racism problem.

And if you're one of the posters who thinks I'm referring to them when I say that, I very likely am.

My local Tesco has a traveller lady working as a cleaner for the last 14 years or so. So they can find employment.

Fair play to her.

She's in the minority.

And fair play to Tesco for employing too.

No response needed. You seem to be very upset. THANKS :p

You keep implying I'm upset.

But it's patently untrue.

It's like all you've left is to tell lies or untruths to try get your point across

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Why is Castlerea so high? It must mean that other male prisons have less than 10% travellers.

Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

In Castlerea prison, in Co Roscommon, over 50 per cent of prisoners are Travellers, according to figures presented at a conference in Dublin on Friday.
    Castlerea prison is for prisoners from all of Connacht, Cavan, Longford and Donegal. Lots of travellers living in these areas and committing crime in these areas

Peter Casey actually topped the poll in Longford with 37.4 %

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/344910/higgins-re-elected-but-longford-voters-back-casey.html

Fair play to her.

She's in the minority.

And fair play to Tesco for employing too.

Its part of their slogan "Every little helps"

Why is Castlerea so high? It must mean that other male prisons have less than 10% travellers.

Travellers make up 0.6 per cent of the population yet account for 10 per cent of the male prisoner population and 22 per cent of the female prison population.

In Castlerea prison, in Co Roscommon, over 50 per cent of prisoners are Travellers, according to figures presented at a conference in Dublin on Friday.

You can move them around all you like but they still make up 10 percent of the male and 22 percent of the female prison population.
    If they were all in the same prison it would still be the same.

You keep implying I'm upset.

But it's patently untrue.

It's like all you've left is to tell lies or untruths to try get your point across

Look, I have no personal issue with you. Relax.

Next week or two it will be something else.

But this issue will not go away either.

You can move them around all you like but they still make up 10 percent of the male and 22 percent of the female prison population.
    If they were all in the same prison it would still be the same.

You might say it's a vicious cycle destined to repeat itself.

If only we could talk about solutions with less hyperbole.

It may... Who knows ... Achieve some direction

Look, I have no personal issue with you. Relax.

Next week or two it will be something else.

But this issue will not go away either.

It's hard to cut hatred down I agree.

Meanwhile the people that work with traveller youth will continue to do so and hopefully they're work spreads and grows and is nurtured.

Maybe we can start breaking the cycle.

They can't do it alone . Pretending they can solves nothing.

• Advertisement

You said I implied Travellers didn't commit the crimes they were in jail for.

When did I say that

Go on.

Post 8320 is the post you quoted but your response doesn't make any sense so you obviously didn't even read it. It wasn't even my post. You're coming across as a bit muddled, maybe you're posting too much. You might need a wee break.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement