Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Post 8320 is the post you quoted but your response doesn't make any sense so you obviously didn't even read it. It wasn't even my post. You're coming across as a bit muddled, maybe you're posting too much. You might need a wee break.

The post where I explained the reasons for criminality?

That one. I thought it was evident why people turn to crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

listermint wrote: »
    You might say it's a vicious cycle destined to repeat itself.

If only we could talk about solutions with less hyperbole.

It may... Who knows ... Achieve some direction

I was addressing another poster.

The post where I explained the reasons for criminality?

That one. I thought it was evident why people turn to crime.

Nope.

Nope.

Grand.

We will return to normal service of aggravation then.

More of the same. Vroom vroom

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Denial of Travellers' ethnicity is categorically racist.

Claiming that Jews basically live in the White House is categorically anti-semitic. Anti-semitism = racism.

Calling Leo Varadkar "an Indian" in the manner he did was categorically a racist dog whistle.

Add to that Casey's general vilification by anecdote and general vilificatory tone against Travellers and you a have a rancid cocktail of racism that would have fitted in perfectly in 1933 Germany.

A cocktail which a load of posters here seem to love and be drunk on, because these posters have a racism problem.

And if you're one of the posters who thinks I'm referring to them when I say that, I very likely am.

You could save yourself a lot of time if you just wrote some sort of script that would write a post on this thread every 4/5 hours, just screaming racist.

• Advertisement

Grand.

We will return to normal service of aggravation then.

More of the same. Vroom vroom

So Traveller unemployment is the main cause of their crime? Lol.
    Is that your only reason? Do you work for Pavee Point? Tee hee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Who blamed you.

Why are you pretending your being blamed.

Your gas.

I've actual experience of them . Does your experience trump others ?

Again stop acting the victim here no one is blaming you for anything.

Ah grab a hold of yourself.
    I'm not Pretending to be anything at all.
    My experience of travellers has been experienced across the country.
    I'm fed up of people saying that travellers aren't treated right and don't get their rights because of discrimination.
    Of course there's descrimination against them, they bring it on themselves and then they play the victim and get enough people who want to put themselves out as socially aware to take the moral high ground and tell me and others that, "perhaps my narrative is part of the problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

By my math, a traveller is 165 times more likely to go to prison than a settled person. :eek:

So Traveller unemployment is the main cause of their crime? Lol.
    Is that your only reason? Do you work for Pavee Point? Tee hee.

Well yes pretty much. If you can't get a job and people aren't willing to do business with you then criminality is the obvious outcome.

This isn't particular to travellers by the way . This can't be news to you ?

Is this news ?

By my math, a traveller is 165 times more likely to go to prison than a settled person. :eek:

Or 165 times more likely to commit crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Brendan about to interview his guests.

Outrage incoming on boards.ie in 15? 20 minutes?

Well could be a lot higher. They're just better at getting off. ;)

Edward M wrote: »
    Ah grab a hold of yourself.
    I'm not Pretending to be anything at all.
    My experience of travellers has been experienced across the country.
    I'm fed up of people saying that travellers aren't treated right and don't get their rights because of discrimination.
    Of course there's descrimination against them, they bring it on themselves and then they play the victim and get enough people who want to put themselves out as socially aware to take the moral high ground and tell me and others that, "perhaps my narrative is part of the problem".

Socially aware is a bad thing ?

I'm confused. Am I socially aware because I can think of the reasons people do the things they do ?

****e I should studied that in College. My years of engineering were a waste.

The only place I've ever been called a bleeding heart is here.

That's gas.

When did people stop acting sound. Personally I think it was during the celtic tiger.

Well could be a lot higher. They're just better at getting off ;)

Well yes pretty much. If you can't get a job and people aren't willing to do business with you then criminality is the obvious outcome.

This isn't particular to travellers by the way . This can't be news to you ?

Is this news ?

So back to the original question then.
    Why do they make up make up 10 percent of the male and 22 percent of the female prison population if it's not just " particular to Travellers " as you say?
    Take your time now.

[A QUOTE=jace_da_face;108503932]Well could be a lot higher. They're just better at getting off. ;)[/QUOTE]

Who? The travellers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I believe the gun laws in this country should be relaxed especially for property owners, people in rural Ireland, farmers etc. Traveller thugs are on criminal rampage but have no fear.

At the moment I have to do with knives, a dog , a baseball bat and a hurley stick. Neighbours do have shotguns though. The travellers of course have an arsenal of weaponry that would rival the Defence Forces. We are like sitting ducks waiting to be picked off. And isolated elderly people are most vulnerable.

[A QUOTE=jace_da_face;108503932]Well could be a lot higher. They're just better at getting off. ;)

Who? The travellers?[/QUOTE]

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are so many entities of society in need of help.

You know, those who have paid in or indeed their parents have, but get nothing without a bloody good and exhausting fight.

Compare and contrast with the T cohort.

So back to the original question then.
    Why do they make up make up 10 percent of the male and 22 percent of the female prison population if it's not just " particular to Travellers " as you say?
    Take your time now.

They have a higher proportion of criminality due to their lower employment prospects.

Fairly transparent tbh.

This isn't unique to travellers any group put in that bracket turn to criminality it's the same the world over.

• Advertisement

There are so many entities of society in need of help.

You know, those who have paid in or indeed their parents have, but get nothing without a bloody good and exhausting fight.

Compare and contrast with the T cohort.

So people that paid taxes.

Like me.

Get nothing for it.

.... Riiiight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

I don't think Peter Casey is racist.
    He is just stating the facts of what is happening today in Ireland.
    Anyone that can't see that are blind to the facts.
    I do hope he starts a new political party because we need it.
    Too much sh1t going on in this country and nobody willing to stand up and state the obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Brendan about to interview his guests.

Outrage incoming on boards.ie in 15? 20 minutes?

Well the Casey/traveller issue is only one of three topics on tonight`s show, so depending on the running order it may be a little longer than that. But be assured there will be outrage a plenty.

They have a higher proportion of criminality due to their power employment prospects.

Fairly transparent tbh.

This isn't unique to travellers any group put in that bracket turn to criminality it's the same the world over.

Ah come on now. You can do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

You can move them around all you like but they still make up 10 percent of the male and 22 percent of the female prison population.
    If they were all in the same prison it would still be the same.
    Can you name me a country in which marginalised ethnic groups don't make up an outsized proportion of the prison population?

Indigenous Australians, for instance, represent 28% of the overall prison population in Australia.

https://theconversation.com/three-charts-on-australias-booming-prison-population-76940

Judging by the rhetoric of Peter Casey supporters, one can safely assume that they think it's just fine to whip up racism against Indigenous Australians in the same manner they have done against Travellers.

Personally I think the similarity in the respective treatments of Indigenous Australians and Irish Travelllers in their countries is very similar.

Indigenous Australians were not even considered human beings under Australian law until 1967.

It seems there are a lot of Irish people who have a similar view of Travellers.

As Fintan O'Toole so rightly says, the threat of fascism always lurks just under the surface of society.

Ah come on now. You can do better.

So having next to zero access to employment prospects means your are less likely to turn to criminality?

Can you try explain your reasoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So people that paid taxes.

Like me.

Get nothing for it.

.... Riiiight

Yet Traveller Rights Groups like Pavee Point get millions of our taxpayer money, you know our taxes, with... AFAICS nothing positive to report for all that largesse to this day.

bigroad wrote: »
    I don't think Peter Casey is racist.
    He is just stating the facts of what is happening today in Ireland.
    Anyone that can't see that are blind to the facts.
    I do hope he starts a new political party because we need it.
    Too much sh1t going on in this country and nobody willing to stand up and state the obvious.

I hope he does too.

So he can expose his emptyness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Jackman25 wrote: »
    You could save yourself a lot of time if you just wrote some sort of script that would write a post on this thread every 4/5 hours, just screaming racist.
    You've so little to say, yet you seem so confident in saying it.

A perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Advertisement

Yet Traveller Rights Groups like Pavee Point get millions of our taxpayer money, you know our taxes, with... AFAICS nothing positive to report for all that largesse to this day.

We've been over this.

I said they should get nothing because they are useless.

We even discussed how you didn't bother reading the reply.

How have you forgotten this already. It was like half hour or so ago.

Bit of air perhaps ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement