Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    The irony of a Peter Casey supporter complaining about "people being angry", when Casey's campaign was exclusively based on anger and vilification. :D

I'm actually laughing at the lack of self-awareness.

I voted for a candidate whose campaign was all about tolerance, inclusion, hope and optimism - the very best qualities of Irish society. That candidate was Michael D. Higgins.

And I'm only delighted he strolled to another term, thank you.

I'm not in the least bit angry. Life is too short, especially for anonymous anger on the Internet.
    Of all the posts in the thread your posts come across as the angriest, if not slightly unhinged and always with a tinge of nastiness or insults.

Your pathetic need to score points is not really helping your argument.

Long before Casey entered his rabble rousing comment, I had made my decision.

You are part of the 18% approx that found a new hero who has already said he isn't going to carry on with his anti traveller spiel.

He has gotten what he wants - notoriety, you have gotten a thread on boards. :rolleyes:

Whats the 18%?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Denial of Travellers' ethnicity is categorically racist.

Claiming that Jews basically live in the White House is categorically anti-semitic. Anti-semitism = racism.

Calling Leo Varadkar "an Indian" in the manner he did was categorically a racist dog whistle.

Add to that Casey's general vilification by anecdote and general vilificatory tone against Travellers and you a have a rancid cocktail of racism that would have fitted in perfectly in 1933 Germany.

A cocktail which a load of posters here seem to love and be drunk on, because these posters have a racism problem.

And if you're one of the posters who thinks I'm referring to them when I say that, I very likely am.

Jesus you have to fit the Nazis and Jews in everywhere don’t you? I’d say after you have a tommy the tank you cry out Nazis, Jews, Racism when you reach climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Polygraph for Kelly. She wouldn't mind the travellers moving next door

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

listermint wrote: »
    Anything with Brendan in it is rubbish tbf.

He doesn't have the charisma for TV
    He hasn’t got the charisma for his own bathroom .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Polygraph for Kelly. She wouldn't mind the travellers moving next door
    Badly needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry cannot view this.

Will anyone of them have a Traveller encampent next door or what.

That is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

And cue some Kelly feminist rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

that traveller lad comes across much better than the obnoxious Collins.
    He appears to be a genuine person in what he says and would make a very good spokesman for the travellers.
    Who are the two women?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's hard to cut hatred down I agree.

Meanwhile the people that work with traveller youth will continue to do so and hopefully they're work spreads and grows and is nurtured.

Maybe we can start breaking the cycle.

They can't do it alone . Pretending they can solves nothing.

A major stumbling block is pulling the kids out of education. It seems there's no importance sunk into it for the most part. I get the impression that you'd be seen as ''soft'' or ''having notions'' if you stay on until the end of secondary school, never mind 3rd level. That's something the Travelling community needs to address themselves before anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He appears to be a genuine person in what he says and would make a very good spokesman for the travellers.
    Who are the two women?

Oh my God, they aren't all the same. Can I get my Peter Casey vote back???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Omackeral wrote: »
    A major stumbling block is pulling the kids out of education. It seems there's no importance sunk into it for the most part. I get the impression that you'd be seen as ''soft'' or ''having notions'' if you stay on until the end of secondary school, never mind 3rd level. That's something the Travelling community needs to address themselves before anything else.

100%. And I'd garner employment schemes would be a method to tackle some of this. For second level schooled travellers even apprenticeship schemes

Who are the two women?

Agreed. Martin Collins could learn a lot from him. He was very measured, unlike the usual antagonism from PP.

100%. And I'd garner employment schemes would be a method to tackle some of this. For second level schooled travellers even apprenticeship schemes

Yes, It would be good to see something like this implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Okay so I see you're explicitly changing your register to that of the rich liberal-arts major American university student for your argument. I can guess what we're in for.
    Please try and and argue in English, and without alt-right (far right) cliches that don't make any sense.
    I've noticed this quite a bit recently. There's a growing tendency of debates being polarized by lumping everyone your disagree with into a particular camp, and the further the identity of that camp is from the point that is being debated the better.
    I'm arguing very much from the centre here and on recognised definitions of what ethnicity and racial discrimination are.

That's a fact.

What there definitely is is a growing tendency for people with far right opinions to deny that their opinions are far right when they demonstrably are far right.

You've made it demonstrably clear that you are one of these.

Which is weasel code for 'I can't argue against your points, so I'll call you names so that you will be socially shamed and be unable to make your points'.

I challenged you to show how Travelers are a race. I challenged you again. You slip and slide greasily away from the issue as you know that your argument is built out of nothing.

I challenge you again.
    You're not arguing any of my points. Why is that?

Travellers are not a race. Then again, I've never claimed that they are. Travellers are an ethnic group.

You're attempting to argue against something nobody said. One can guess why that is - it's because you're unable to argue against the substantive points that have been made.

But discrimination against Travellers does count as racial discrimination.

And it's not me that has drawn up the criteria for saying such.

The United Nations have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism
    The United Nations use the definition of racial discrimination laid out in the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, adopted in 1966:

... any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, color, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. (Part 1 of Article 1 of the U.N. International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination)[83]

A part of me was tempted to post an image of an attacked pensioner, in a classic 'you call this a pretend victim' type move. In all honesty though that would be a dirty, emotive tactic, when what is really called for is a level headed assessment of the situation. What would I be hoping to achieve by doing this? Just to try and shame you without addressing your point?

Okay so the real rebuttal is that you try and smear individuals as racists instead of intellectually debating them and then have the temerity to call them snowflakes when they call you out on your attempts to silence discussion on societal matters. Your claims that attempts to silence discussion is a defense of free speech is just one of those weird double-think strategies.

A smear is an untrue, malign characterisation of somebody which is designed to paint that person in a bad light, to lower their reputation.

I've smeared nobody here, because I'm merely pointing out what is categorically true - that there are a large amount of posters here who have engaged in or attempted to justify racial discrimination.

Any level headed assessment would come to the same conclusion, because level headed assessments rely on facts, not feelings.

No amount of weasel word salad on your part can change that.

Oh my God, they aren't all the same. Can I get my Peter Casey vote back???????????

Thought you voted for Michilin rather than the your own candidate, Leaha.
    You seem to be the chief flip-flipper around here.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Agreed. Martin Collins could learn a lot from him. He was very measured, unlike the usual antagonism from PP.

Simply because he is 'included' in the conversation, he isn't there to defend traveller behaviour, which is the situation Collins finds himself in, invariably.

Simply because he is 'included' in the conversation, he isn't there to defend traveller behaviour, which is the situation Collins finds himself in, invariably.

Standing up for your old boss Francie?
    Calling anyone who disagrees with him racist is really doing them a favour ....not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,539 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Who are the two women?

The travelling community are really lacking a good spokes person Martin Collins isn't great and don't get me started on John Connors.

The two women are Ciara Kelly(Operation Transformation, Newstalk) and Niamh Horan(Irish Independent).

It's almost like people think that folks like waking up in the morning feeling useless and worthless.

I don't think that's the situation in a lot of cases. That's a very romanticised way of putting it. Many criminals have fcuk all empathy for their victims and are only out for themselves.
    Have you considered having a gander over research of why people turn to criminality or is it safe to ignore all of that and just get angry with zero grasp of the causes.

People are in jail for a multitude of reasons. Yes some are there because they felt they'd no option but a lot are there because they're too lazy to put in an honest graft and fancied an easier way of making money by moving drugs. Some are there because they're greedy bastards. Plenty are there because they're idiots. It's not always the system holding them down.

• Advertisement

It's almost like people think that folks like waking up in the morning feeling useless and worthless.

I don't think that's the situation in a lot of cases. That's a very romanticised way of putting it. Plenty of criminals have fcuk all empathy for their victims and are only out for themselves.
    Have you considered having a gander over research of why people turn to criminality or is it safe to ignore all of that and just get angry with zero grasp of the causes.

People are in jail for a multitude of reasons. Yes some are there because they felt they'd no option but a lot are there because they're too lazy to put in an honest graft and fancied an easier way of making money by moving drugs. Some are there because they're greedy bastards. Plenty are there because they're idiots. It's not always the system holding them down.

Standing up for your old boss Francie?
    Calling anyone who disagrees with him racist is really doing them a favour ....not.

What? That makes zero sense.

MDH is history now. He just has to spend his money and gain his pensions. And spout a bit of poetry lol. He knows, we know. We don't care. We know the score.

The score is Michael D. Higgins got 55% of the vote and was re-elected President on the first count.

Whereas Peter Casey can sod off back to the US deep south where his brand of "politics" is much more suited.

And a hell of a lot more people won't care - the majority of the Irish people will be delighted, actually.

Would be a good bridge between the communities. Do any exist that you know of? I'd support that.

What? That makes zero sense.

Thought you said you did some work for Pavee in the past?
    Apologies if it wasn't you who said it.

Thought you said you did some work for Pavee in the past?
    Apologies if it wasn't you who said it.

No, I didn't.

Nor have I used the term 'racist' since these threads began.

No, I didn't.

Nor have I used the term 'racist' since these threads began.

The racist thing was about Collins.

Jackman25 wrote: »

He even admitted that what Casey said was not racist.
    Hope they have that pint together.
    He could be a good running mate for Casey too. That would be fun.

Are you another Shinner that abandoned ship for the winning team like Francie

For somebody complaining about labels you sure do a lot of labelling.

• Advertisement

• Squiggle wrote: »
    The fools are the ones entertaining the chancers in Thurles who are turning up their noses at houses costing €348,000 each, and who happen to be travellers. The bigger fools are the ones contemplating, and the ones supporting, adding two stables and a half acre of land to each dwelling at a rough cost of €25,000 per dwelling. Plenty of hard working people out there can't afford a €373,000 house. That's what leads to division. We need to get real.

+1

Before interest on a 48m mortgage for a house that expensive you’re paying back €7,500. Or €1730 per week

While the min they would be paying p/w is €40 odd. Give or take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement