Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    The score is Michael D. Higgins got 55% of the vote and was re-elected President on the first count.

55% of the 46% who voted, not exactly a resounding success, considering the media were100% behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The irony of a Peter Casey supporter complaining about "people being angry", when Casey's campaign was exclusively based on anger and vilification. :D

I'm actually laughing at the lack of self-awareness.

Page after page, post after post, you resort to personally insulting people and trying to put them down with these one liners.

It's a sign of a weak argument when you have to resort to that.
    I voted for a candidate whose campaign was all about tolerance, inclusion, hope and optimism - the very best qualities of Irish society. That candidate was Michael D. Higgins.

Michael D's credibility was significantly damaged in that election and i'm not sure we're done yet. We're still waiting on the expenses. He had his chance to slink off into the sunset but did greed get the better of him ?

Time will tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He even admitted that what Casey said was not racist.
    Hope they have that pint together.
    He could be a good running mate for Casey too. That would be fun.

What Casey said was racial disrimination, what a lot of his supporters said was racist.

Racist comment no longer confines itself to race, ethnicity is also factored in.

You or I do not get to define ethnicity, we give our legislators that power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

That was a refreshing honest civilised conversation, if somewhat awkward (probably because of the honesty from all except Kiara Kelly).

Fair play to Niamh Horan for her honesty which we’d not have seen pre Casey. It then set the tone for a grown up discussion.

I was very impressed with Martin Ward but let’s face it he’s not representative of the traveller community but he should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

What Casey said was racial disrimination, what a lot of his supporters said was racist.

Is this the latest buzzword because you've all finally had to admit that Peter Casey said nothing racist or prejudicial ?

Either way it's just more lefty meaningless nonsense.
    You or I do not get to define ethnicity, we give our legislators that power.

Enda Kenny was a moronic idiot. He should never have been allowed near the reins of this country let alone make decisions such as this. The man was utterly unsuitable and incompetent. He carried zero gravitas and could only rule with the whip which is a sign of a weak leader.

We really should declare the ethinicity decision a mistake, reverse it and remove it from the books..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rennaws wrote: »
    Is this the latest buzzword because you've all finally had to admit that Peter Casey said nothing racist or prejudicial ?

Well, I never claimed he said anything racist, but I do believe in the UN definition of racial discriminatory comment and he certainly did that. His supporters here took that as clearance to make racist comments in the broader definition of racist comment.

Enda Kenny was a moronic idiot. He should never have been allowed near the reins of this country let alone make decisions such as this. The man was utterly unsuitable and incompetent. He carried had zero gravitas as a leader and could only rule with the whip which is a sign of a weak leader.

We really should declare the ethinicity decision a mistake and remove it from the books..

I agree Enda was an idiot, but so was Haughey, but Aosdanna was something good that Haughey did. Nobody is all bad.

What difference to you and me would removing SEMS make BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Denial of Travellers' ethnicity is categorically racist.

I utterly reject that statement.

I had no particular position on whether their claim to ethnic minority status is justified, until a few discussions I had this week, after which I agree that it is justified.

Many people I work with would not agree that the ethnic minority status is justified.

These people may think that as travellers are genetically very similar to settled Irish people, then how can they be a different ethnic minority?

I do not call these colleagues of mine racist.

It may be that ethnic minority status needs to be explained better, yes.

And also, people feel that EM status leads to privilege and entitlement, which they don't agree with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Page after page, post after post, you resort to personally insulting people and trying to put them down with these one liners.

Michael D's credibility was significantly damaged in that election and i'm not sure we're done yet. We're still waiting on the expenses. He had his chance to slink off into the sunset but did greed get the better of him ?

Time will tell..
    If these Expenses really really stink then Money D could come under some real pressure . the blood is up with the Casey Vote and if Money D withheld very important information that should have been released before the Democratic Process their could be wigs on the Green .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

For somebody complaining about labels you sure do a lot of labelling.
    I'm right though aren't I

Quite likely someone called "hill16bhoy" spewing the stuff you are is a Shinner.

Any comment on the collapse of Sinn Fein and Leah. Or are you and Francie now paid up Labour men. Don't worry this will be the last good election for Labour either for a very long time.

omega man wrote: »
    That was a refreshing honest civilised conversation, if somewhat awkward (probably because of the honesty from all except Kiara Kelly).

Fair play to Niamh Horan for her honesty which we’d not have seen pre Casey. It then set the tone for a grown up discussion.

I was very impressed with Martin Ward but let’s face it he’s not representative of the traveller community but he should be.
    Ciara Kelly did not carry off that lie in any way what so ever .

Niamh Horan had credibility with her honesty . Ciara = none .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

You can keep shouting all you like.

The UN definition of racism proves you categorically wrong.

The extreme irony of a Casey supporter complaining about "buzzwords" is noted.

Casey supporters seem to have a congenital inability to do anything else except shout so called "alt-right" (far right) buzzwords.

Enda Kenny was a moronic idiot. He should never have been allowed near the reins of this country let alone make decisions such as this. The man was utterly unsuitable and incompetent. He carried zero gravitas and could only rule with the whip which is a sign of a weak leader.

We really should declare the ethinicity decision a mistake, reverse it and remove it from the books..
    Yeah, sure reverse voting rights for women too while you're at it, or something.

Most Casey supporters would probably support that, actually. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cries about generalising.

Then generalises.

What a goon.

On the contrary, I've explained clearly and concisely how Casey and his supporters have engaged in outright racial discrimination, and nit one Casey supporter has been able to rebut the charge, instead resorting to obfuscation, deflection, buzzwords, and the exact sort of abuse you erroneously accuse me of yet are utterly blind to when a Casey supporter engages in it.

Whereas you just called Enda Kenny a "moronic idiot".

Time will tell..
    Michael D. Higgins's credibility hasn't been damaged one iota. He's just romped to a second term as President with an increased mandate - receiving 121,000 more votes than in 2011.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Cries about generalising.

Then generalises.

What a goon.
    You still don't get it, do you?

And you've long since given up debating.

But then again, did you ever even start?

Dr Kelly made some good points
    Held No Credibility when she attempted to lie that she would be happy having Travellers move in beside her . She did not pull off the lie . It was blindingly obviously that she was lying .

Some clown. Not talking about Ciara Kelly, mind you.

No she didn't.

And we don't call Leo Varadkar Dr Leo, so enough of the Dr Kelly nonsense as if it makes her political opinions more important than the rest of us.

so your'e saying because leo is a man his opinion important is more important than a woman
    The poster is most certainly not saying that ; Obviously .

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

She made no good points. She is a part of the PC brigade and she lied. She is an angry feminist.

so your'e saying because leo is a man his opinion important is more important than a woman

Go away troll. I have no time for Leo I've said so in this thread today multiple times.

• Advertisement

she brought down george hook, she knows what way the wind is blowing,
    i'd prefer a ruthless operator than some kowtow
    She came across as totally insincere in a yes / no question . She blew a lot of her credibility . When the Public can see that you are willing to peddle a bare face lie rather than be honest they can be hard to get to trust you again .

She was being Politically correct and was willing to lie to be politically correct .

Not in any way edifying and a poor decision on her behalf .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kelly was in a good job as a GP, but seems to have abandoned all that to get herself a showbiz career.

She obviously fancies herself as some sort of Irish Carol Vorderman or whatever, now she has the TV, radio and media career, but jez, she is an angry woman.

blinding wrote: »
    The poster is most certainly not saying that ; Obviously .

It doesn't matter to some people on this thread. Some absolute buffoons on here call you a racist if you say there are problems facing the Travelling community or that you don't consider them as just Irish like yourself. You get told that if you voted for Peter Casey, you more or less would be advocating taking the vote off women and that you're on par with holocaust deniers or akin the SS. It's all said very much without the tongue in the cheek. Part of me thinks these fcukheads actually believe what they're saying and the other part of me thinks they're ploughing hours worth of posts into nothing but winding people up... I don't know which is worse or sadder.

How can someone born in Dublin (for example) from white, Irish parents be a different race to another person born in Dublin to white, Irish parents?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Kelly was in a good job as a GP, but seems to have abandoned all that to get herself a showbiz career.

She obviously fancies herself as some sort of Irish Carol Vorderman or whatever, now she has the TV, radio and media career, but jez, she is an angry woman.
    No point being a feminist if your not foaming at the mouth . Its a bit like Rabies !:eek:

How can someone born in Dublin (for example) from white, Irish parents be a different race to another person born in Dublin to white, Irish parents?
    These people are the same race but if that was admitted then there would not be as good a case for one group to be getting extra help . I actually do think that the travellers need some extra help but taking on some responsibilities for that extra help would be helpful .

Was great to see Brendan put her in her place though.
    She must have thought she was on her radio show.

blinding wrote: »
    These people are the same race but if that was admitted then there would not be as good a case for one group to be getting extra help . I actually do think that the travellers need some extra help but taking on some responsibilities for that extra help would be helpful .

I would totally agree too.

The Gov can by all means give them extra help, as long as they try to get themselves to integrate into society better inside a generation.
    Time to give up the horses, the slag hooks, the wedding attacks, the raiding of farms, the intimidation of elderly people, the dodgy of school etc.

Was great to see Brendan put her in her place though.
    She must have thought she was on her radio show.
    If looks could kill.....George Hook will have a chuckle if he see that performance .;)

• Advertisement

What is the test for a Traveller? There is none. Any white Irish person could claim to be a traveller. Plenty of travellers actually share my surname especially in England, imagine it's the same for a lot of people in this country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement