Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What is the test for a Traveller? There is none. Any white Irish person could claim to be a traveller. Plenty of travellers actually share my surname especially in England, imagine it's the same for a lot of people in this country.

Must .... resist......

don't want a ban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would totally agree too.

The Gov can by all means give them extra help, as long as they try to get themselves to integrate into society better inside a generation.
    Time to give up the horses, the slag hooks, the wedding attacks, the raiding of farms, the intimidation of elderly people, the dodgy of school etc.
    Don't see it happening. The English have never managed to put manners on the Travellers, even though a lot of their criminal activities takes place in rural England. Rural England is a different to here a lot of rich posh Tories, and they still have to put up with their nonsense.

They are a protected class over there. A quick glance over any Daily Mail comment section shows what the country English think of them. If they can't reign them it won't happen in this country either IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Rural crime was almost unheard of in 1950s Ireland. People left their doors unlocked, in my own area, into the 1980s.

I asked my father if they locked their doors when he was young, and lived on a farm.
    "No, there was nothing to take in the house. And we probably couldn't afford a lock."

Come to think of it. We should all start claiming our traveller heritage. I want my million euro houses, fields for horses and stables. I want a brand new 18 car, jeep and van. Any problems and it's racism.

Beats being a settled working class Irish man by the looks of things. It's absurd the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Omackeral wrote: »
    It doesn't matter to some people on this thread. Some absolute buffoons on here call you a racist if you say there are problems facing the Travelling community or that you don't consider them as just Irish like yourself.
    No they don't.

There isn't a person alive in Ireland who doesn't say the Travelling community have massive issues both within and without.

But well done on confusing that with the actual racism that was spewed out by Casey and his supporters for the last fortnight.

Well done also on confusing nationality with ethnicity. Were you playing ignorant or just helplessly ignorant when you did that?

Presumably you also had trouble distinguishing the ethnicity and nationality of the likes of Paul McGrath, Phil Lynott, Jason Sherlock and Sean Og O'hAilpin?

I bet Wexford hurler Lee Chin would really throw you.

I better not even mention the massive Irish diaspora worldwide. Then things could get very confusing indeed for you.
    You get told that if you voted for Peter Casey, you more or less would be advocating taking the vote off women and that you're on par with holocaust deniers or akin the SS.

Who did that?

Again, I have to ask if you're being deliberately ignorant or just helplessly ignorant in saying such?

You do realise that correctly pointing out that Casey and his supporters used the exact same techniques that the Nazis used to vilify the Jews, does not equal calling you a Holocaust denier or akin to the SS?

Have you got anymore hyperbolic nonsense you wish to share with us or perhaps you're all out of imagination for the night?

Oh, and maybe you had your sarcasm detector off with women's voting rights comment? Very touchy, aren't you? Can't you Casey supporters take a joke?

It's all said very much without the tongue in the cheek. Part of me thinks these fcukheads actually believe what they're saying and the other part of me thinks they're ploughing hours worth of posts into nothing but winding people up... I don't know which is worse or sadder.
    Perhaps if you kept your tongue sellotaped to the inside of your cheek you'd be more articulate?

• Advertisement

she is being a strong woman
    and a role model
    Ah here, have a day off.

Come to think of it. We should all start claiming our traveller heritage. I want my million euro houses, fields for horses and stables. I want a brand new 18 car, jeep and van. Any problems and it's racism.

Beats being a settled working class Irish man by the looks of things. It's absurd the whole thing.

Basically the point Casey made, and 340,000 people agreed with.

Like the fog on the Tyne was all Gazza's, the absurdity is very much all yours.

"If you're a straight, white Irish male these days, they throw you in jail"."

Or something something.

and a role model

She was lying.
    There is no way Dr Ciara would like to have travellers at the bottom of her lane. Guaranteed.

She lied, just like 5 presidential candidates did a few weeks ago, cos they wanted to come across as accepting.

I at least admire that Horan girl tonight, she told the truth. Took her a while to blurt it out, but she got there in the end.

How many Travellers live in Greystones where Ciara Kelly lives

• Advertisement

Basically the point Casey made, and 340,000 people agreed with.
    There are 4.78 million people in this state.

Given that figure, 340,000 gob****es doesn't look so bad.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    There are 4.78 million people in this state.

Given that figure, 340,000 gob****es doesn't look so bad.

340,000 of those who tool the effort to vote.

You know full well he nearly got 25% of the vote, there's no point quoting 4.78 million when it includes babies and children who can't vote.

You know full well he nearly got 25% of the vote, there's no point quoting 4.78 million when it includes babies and children who can't vote.

90% of the electorate didn't vote for Casey.

That imagined "Golden Dawn" that some people on here seem to wish for is still a long, long way away.

And I'm content with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

90% of the electorate didn't vote for Casey.

That imagined "Golden Dawn" that some people on here seem to wish for is still a long, long way away.

And I'm content with that.

And 70% of the electorate didn’t vote for Higgins, so what’s your point?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

You can crunch the numbers any way you want, it still adds up to the fact that the dominant opinion on this thread, ie. that of vacuous Casey cheerleading, is a very much a fringe one in reality.

Talk about people being out of touch.

i have reported the racist anti traveller posts in this threads but the moderators are not sanctiuoning the offenders

for example i reported post 7275 and it stll has no red card

Oops! I forgot to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

i have reported the racist anti traveller posts in this threads but the moderators are not sanctiuoning the offenders

for example i reported post 7275 and it stll has no red card

The mods are well able to do their job, very few contributors have any problem with them here, in my opinion.

in fairness i think a DOCTOR
    knows more than some trolls on a message board

I assume that you’re trolling ? Ciara Kelly has become a joke lately . Her male bashing and victimizing women has got so out of hand on her daily radio show , she comes across as aggressive and patronizing with a major chip on her shoulder.

Despite the election success for Casey which reflects the feelings of so many people she was scathing of him last night . She’s truly out of step . People who pay their taxes and obey societal rules have a right to say what they think . PC has gone mad and it’s Ciara Kelly’s second name !

She is a DOCTOR yet completely supported the promotion of morbidly obese models on the front of Cosmopolitan recently in her obsession for being PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

in fairness i think a DOCTOR knows more than some trolls on a message board

To quote Woodie Allen, 'There's always one DOCTOR at the bottom of medicine school.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Not sure how many out there would recall the Rodney king incident all those years ago but in any case it’s well documented/recorded for any of you who don’t. If the incident had ocurred in Ireland and Rodney king was replaced with a male member of the traveler community how would the wider population have reacted......with the king incident the 3/4 cops who doled out the beating to him which that was caught on camera were acquitted of any charges and their was international out rage yet the broader section of Americans society apart from those with African ethnicity saw no issue with the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Start with the Horse and Stable . Mary and Jesus might show up especially with such good services available .

and a role model
    She wasn’t able to lie strongly . I’m hoping not being able to lie well is good news .:eek:

Hope for this Country yet .

Imagine the President waiting for the Democratic Process to be over before being
    transparent with his expenses .

Higgins has denied the Demos to give their verdict on his use of Public money .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Not sure how many out there would recall the Rodney king incident all those years ago but in any case it’s well documented/recorded for any of you who don’t. If the incident had ocurred in Ireland and Rodney king was replaced with a male member of the traveler community how would the wider population have reacted......with the king incident the 3/4 cops who doled out the beating to him which that was caught on camera were acquitted of any charges and their was international out rage yet the broader section of Americans society apart from those with African ethnicity saw no issue with the outcome.

Robbed a shop and threatened the shop owner with an iron bar.
    Multiple driving convictions some involving alcohol, drugs, fleeing from police and also a hit & run

If you want to find a martyr find someone decent. Rodney King was a lowlife before the beating and after it

Hope for this Country yet .

Imagine the President waiting for the Democratic Process to be over before being transparent with his expenses .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Your post is factually incorrect as two of the officers were found guilty in Federal Court of violating Kings Civil Rights and sentenced them to 2 and a half years in Federal Prison each.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ultimate what aboutery.

We have already had our "Rodney king" moment when froggy ward was shot. Thankfully the courts eventually came to the right decision in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How many Travellers live in Greystones where Ciara Kelly lives

None, and that’s also not accidental. Whenever a halting site is planned for a rich or middle to upper middle class area the locals react and get it stopped. In many cases however it isn’t even contemplated.

This means already deprived areas of Dublin have even more deprivation foisted upon them, and that travellers have to live in already deprived areas - which clearly isn’t going to help them escape their own poverty or circumstances.

If anything is similar to the 1950’s segregation in the southern states, it is this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You can crunch the numbers any way you want, it still adds up to the fact that the dominant opinion on this thread, ie. that of vacuous Casey cheerleading, is a very much a fringe one in reality.

Talk about people being out of touch.

True but you surely must admit that something must be done about the racial segregation of travellers in Dublin. In the rest of the country halting sites seem fairly distributed in country towns and villages but are on the poorest western fringes in Dublin.

This is the real scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I can't deal with that poster anymore. Just an absolute troll of the highest order, has to be! Another handy way to decide whether a post is pure and utter bollocks is to see if our good friend and current PC Brigade Champion of the World has thanked it. Usually a good litmus test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement