Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There really are no words for the insanity of that, really - none.

Which part?

The Media loves controversial topics?

Or the part where Casey spoke about a controversial topic in order to rile up some people for votes.

I cant tell which part is the real insane part. Its not really clear can you point it out ?

YOU'RE. For the love of Mary, it's YOU'RE!!!!

It's like reading Facebook at times, please if you're not going to engage in debate can you at least make the posts look decent ?

And the bold part ? Seriously ??? You might want to tell literally every interviewer, because they all use them and they are a good indicator of an opinion.

Im not a moderator , but i would suggest reading the charter.

Clearly you have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

listermint wrote: »
    Hypotheical questions are utterly moronic.

If i said yeah of course id open 'my' pub, Then youd be all like 'your a liar' 'go pull the other one you big liar'

If i said i dont have a pub , then you call me a copout.

So i say, Go back to the school yard because that is the level of debate your bringing.

Maybe you should go back to school because the word you're looking for is "you're". Secondly, how are hypothetical questions utterly moronic? They're used in court rooms, job interviews and ,funnily enough, on discussion forums. Anyway, your dodging and silence says more than any answer would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

YOU'RE. For the love of Mary, it's YOU'RE!!!!

It's like reading Facebook at times, please if you're not going to engage in debate can you at least make the posts look decent ?

And the bold part ? Seriously ??? You might want to tell literally every interviewer, because they all use them and they are a good indicator of an opinion.

Go easy.
    I don’t think English is their first language.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Maybe you should go back to school because the word you're looking for is "you're". Secondly, how are hypothetical questions utterly moronic? They're used in court rooms, job interviews and ,funnily enough, on discussion forums. Anyway, your dodging and silence says more than any answer would.

We dont correct spelling around these parts.

I think you know why , you have been here long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

This is hilarious.

We dont correct spelling around these parts.

I think you know why , you have been here long enough.

We also answer questions usually but I digress

P.C. wrote: »
    Go easy.

You got me,

Ah you got me good.

Is this the level of effort in After hours now,

1- name calling
    2- grammar nazing
    3- asking utterly moronic questions for hypothetical situations that people cant answer because they were never put in.

Tis a quality level of effort you getting at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

P.C. wrote: »
    Go easy.

English is the third language of the majority of my students and they grasp basic grammar, but you know - it's not worth a sanction and ban so I withdraw my comment.

This is hilarious.

People just lie and refuse to engage and then throw around labels. It's faux debate. I don't get it. Sums up the mentality, really. Absolutely baseless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I can honestly say I’d close my pub.

It’s obvious to all why you can’t give a straight answer to that question.

You’re position is completely hypocritical no matter which way you turn it.

You can’t come back from that.

We also answer questions usually but I digress

No , that doesn't happen actually.

People don't post hypothetical questions at people when they frankly are looking for rhetorical answers.

Its a transparent exercise in trying to catch people out.

I've already stated many times i spent my early years ejecting traveller kids from retail shops.

But sure you wont bother reading the thread because you just leaped back in today.

The outrage is strong in this one.

English is the third language of the majority of my students and they grasp basic grammar, but you know - it's not worth a sanction and ban so I withdraw my comment.

I only ever call it out when they say "your stupid" or tell you to go back to school or things along those lines. Irony and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Wait, no stop.

I thought this was new subject matter.

Something people didnt talk about.

Something that Casey raised up and that was being supressed.

now everyone agrees we discuss it all the time.

Which is it, You lads are tripping over your own outrage.

Discussed all the time in pseudonymous posts on a forum is not the same as the media.

Ireland’s media, like most, represents the attitudes of people employed by that media and the vast majority are from the upper middle classes.

I only ever call it out when they say "your stupid" or tell you to go back to school or things along those lines. Irony and all that.

Who called you stupid? Any more clarity on that?

And who told you to go back to school.

I think you will find it was yourself and the previous poster that told me to go back to school, because you are acting the big lad pointing out grammatical errors.

Rennaws wrote: »
    I can honestly say I’d close my pub.

It’s obvious to all why you can’t give a straight answer to that question.

You’re position is completely hypocritical no matter which way you turn it.

You can’t come back from that.

I dont own a pub.

I cant give you a straight answer.

I can only give a straight answer to something that applies to me.

Like a previous poster who asked would i have a halting site built near me.

I have two.

This applies to me.

I can bring anyone to show them if they'd like not a problem. However i dont know the families in them because they dont mix with me, nor i with them

Discussed all the time in pseudonymous posts on a forum is not the same as the media.

Ireland’s media, like most, represents the attitudes of people employed by that media and the vast majority are from the upper middle classes.

I imagine the majority of the people working in the Irish media read a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book and are convinced it's real and about them.

Hypotheical questions are utterly moronic.

If i said yeah of course id open 'my' pub, Then youd be all like 'your a liar' 'go pull the other one you big liar'

If i said i dont have a pub , then you call me a copout.

So i say, Go back to the school yard because that is the level of debate your bringing.

There.

Do you know any journalists?

Any that i know, i actually went to school with 2. They are actually like me from a working class area. Yet they are now elites! nice to know , i must contact them both to tell them of their new found status.

No , that doesn't happen actually.

People don't post hypothetical questions at people when they frankly are looking for rhetorical answers.

Its a transparent exercise in trying to catch people out.

I've already stated many times i spent my early years ejecting traveller kids from retail shops.

But sure you wont bother reading the thread because you just leaped back in today.

The outrage is strong in this one.

Another classic tactic, claim outrage!

I've been here the last couple of days btw and always answer any question put to me. I'm not afraid to be wrong and have admitted to same on here previously. You're not that special that I recall your posts from memory. I can't see why you wouldn't just say "I'd have no bother opening my pub" or "I'd close my pub". Instead you whinge about being asked questions.... on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I dont own a pub.

I can only give a straight answer to something that applies to me.

Like a previous poster who asked would i have a halting site built near me.

I have two.

This applies to me.

I can bring anyone to show them if they'd like not a problem. However i dont know the families in them because they dont mix with me, nor i with them

Listen to yourself

There.

I think its self evident what that line means. It does not mean go back to school to better your education because you are stupid - something which you and that other poster implied about me.

It means the level of debate you are using would be used in a school yard.

i.e 'my da is bigger than your da'

I would actually garner that you knew that. But you know i could be wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Typical AH, all this outrage and right wing, non-PC leanings....

...said anyone who doesn't like the argument, ever.

Rennaws wrote: »
    Listen to yourself

So the job interview I went to the other week that asked "where will you be in five years" and "can you tell us what you would do if a postgraduate student wanted to offer a bribe ?"

I should have said "they are hypothetical questions and do not reflect my reality so I cannot answer you".

I would in me hoop!!

And who told you to go back to school.

This eejit here did;
    you are acting the big lad pointing out grammatical errors.

As I said, I enjoyed the irony. Only reason I said mentioned it.

Another classic tactic, claim outrage!

I've been here the last couple of days btw and always answer any question put to me. I'm not afraid to be wrong and have admitted to same on here previously. You're not that special that I recall your posts from memory. I can't see why you wouldn't just say "I'd have no bother opening my pub" or "I'd close my pub". Instead you whinge about being asked questions.... on a forum.

I dont have a pub!

Christ lads, if i had a pub im sure then i would know what level of business or lack of i would be willing to accept.

And that includes trade to various customers.

Alas i dont have a pub, So therefore i do not have the facility to answer such a question.

This eejit here did;

As I said, I enjoyed the irony. Only reason I said mentioned it.

I replied to that above, have a perusal at your leisure

Typical AH, all this outrage and right wing, non-PC leanings....

...said anyone who doesn't like the argument, ever.

Weird because the only outrage here is directed at me for 'not answering' a hypothetical question, that i keep answering.

Argghhhh angry mob , shakes fist...

I dont own a pub.

Yes, we gathered that. You are familiar with the concept of a hypothetical question though? Maybe not.

At least you admit it.

• Advertisement

Weird because the only outrage here is directed at me for 'not answering' a hypothetical question, that i keep answering.

Argghhhh angry mob , shakes fist...

I thought you couldn't answer it as you don't have a pub ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement