Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Typical AH, all this outrage and right wing, non-PC leanings....

...said anyone who doesn't like the argument, ever.

I had somebody on another thread say that boards "isn't safe to post on" when the argument was getting away from them.

If you want a safe space stay in university for life, there you can cry foul of differing opinions, joining a publicly accessible forum is like going from hitting a punching bag to going into the ring against somebody who can hit back.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yes, we gathered that. You are familiar with the concept of a hypothetical question though? Maybe not.

At least you admit it.

Why are you replacing words in a post?

Does that make you feel like you've won something ?

°°°°°

listermint wrote: »
    I dont have a pub!

Christ lads, if i had a pub im sure then i would know what level of business or lack of i would be willing to accept.

And that includes trade to various customers.

Alas i dont have a pub, So therefore i do not have the facility to answer such a question.

Do you have empathy?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Nice little turn of words there from you.

Il tell you why there was no articles on him 'ahead of the election' because he was a nobody tv dragans den personality.

Then he said some controversial comments, not to impact some mass social change but to rile up a small group of people (your riled, this thread is evidence) Then of course he got lots of articles pro and con his points. Go find them if you want they are all over the place.

This nonsense sells papers. Oooo controversy. Oooo so edgey. It gets clicks and debates and airtime. Thats what the media thrive on. No they dont thrive on supressing hot topics.

anyone that believes that doesnt have a notion as to how the media generates its money.

Suppression, Laughed at lads. Laughed.... at.

So to summarise, you can’t support the point you made about “plenty of pro Casey” pieces with any evidence?

You searched for links to support your claims, found none and came back with this drivel.

Would that be a fair assessment?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I thought you couldn't answer it as you don't have a pub ?

But i did answer,

You do know what answer means, dont you?

It does not mean 'yes and no' are the only answers i will respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Weird because the only outrage here is directed at me for 'not answering' a hypothetical question, that i keep answering.

Argghhhh angry mob , shakes fist...

Gas isn't it.

nullzero wrote: »
    Do you have empathy?

Actually i scored very highly on the Clifton Strengths assessment for empathy,

Perhaps that explains how i am able to examine the facts about sections of society rather than follow the angry mob of outrage?

I don't know, what are your thoughts on my empathy levels ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I think it's time to unfollow - the ban just ain't worth it lads!

Keep the faith!

°°°°°

Actually i scored very highly on the Clifton Strengths assessment for empathy,

Perhaps that explains how i am able to examine the facts about sections of society rather than follow the angry mob of outrage?

I don't know, what are your thoughts on my empathy levels ?

So you can put yourself in somebody elses shoes?
    Say hypothetically the shoes of a publican...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think its self evident what that line means. It does not mean go back to school to better your education because you are stupid - something which you and that other poster implied about me.

It means the level of debate you are using would be used in a school yard.

i.e 'my da is bigger than your da'

I would actually garner that you knew that. But you know i could be wrong.....

Subtlety and irony. Two concepts that are tough to grasp when combined.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So to summarise, you can’t support the point you made about “plenty of pro Casey” pieces with any evidence?

You searched for links to support your claims, found none and came back with this drivel.

Would that be a fair assessment?

no actually, i have not searched for anything at all.

I read plenty of pro casey pieces over the course of the last 2 weeks. I recall them because i read the newspapers and twitter daily.

If i was bothered to search back then i would but you can find them yourself, but your not bothered. Plenty of pro Casey opinion pieces out there.

They actually go along the lines of some posters in here about how he challenged the status quo and raised something we were not talking about.

You might enjoy them? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

But i did answer,

You do know what answer means, dont you?

It does not mean 'yes and no' are the only answers i will respect.

But it’s such a simple question..

Like would you open on Christmas Day if you had a choice ?

I’ll bet you could answer that on another day in a different thread.

You’ve been exposed. You’re the same as Higgins and the rest of them. Hypocritical and dishonest.

I have far more respect for people who stand by the courage of their convictions and demonstrate honesty which is why Casey got my one and only vote.

nullzero wrote: »
    So you can put yourself in somebody elses shoes?
    Say hypothetically the shoes of a publican...

I dont know any publicans, I also dont own a pub. So yes that is outside my knowledge base.

If however i did know a publican or own a pub i could make an informed opinion on that question.

Who knows, it could be a no answer, it could equally be a yes.

But i cant make that opinion because as i said...... I dont know the ins or outs of the trade / loss of it.

Rennaws wrote: »

You’ve been exposed. You’re the same as Higgins and the rest of them. Hypocritical and dishonest.

I have far more respect for people who stand by the courage of their convictions and demonstrate honesty which is why Casey got my one and only vote.

I can answer that of course.

I wouldnt open any business on christmas day.

Its my family time, no business is more important than family time for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Rennaws wrote: »

We have had more than enough of hiding stuff in Irish Society . It hasn’t worked for us . Its not the way to continue .

I thought you couldn't answer it as you don't have a pub ?

I think he does have a pub and it's frequented by those elite journalists he went to school with. It's awkward though because it's located between the two traveller sites he lived between and he doesn't want them near it.

Subtlety and irony. Two concepts that are tough to grasp when combined.

Ah so you know what the saying to go back to the school yard means then ?

blinding wrote: »
    We have had more than enough of hiding stuff in Irish Society . It hasn’t worked for us . Its not the way to continue .

hiding stuff?

Travellers are never out of the news, This topic is as old as the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Lister, just lie and say yes I would open my pub and invite all those darling travellers in. At least that ends it and we can move on.

Why are you replacing words in a post?

Does that make you feel like you've won something ?

Sorry I can't answer that because I don't own a pub.

• Advertisement

I think he does have a pub and it's frequented by those elite journalists he went to school with. It's awkward though because it's located between the two traveller sites he lived between and he doesn't want them near it.

Be a nice place if i knew how to run one.

Id like my own brewery though. I couldnt be dealing with those Diageo morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I read plenty of pro casey pieces over the course of the last 2 weeks. I recall them because i read the newspapers and twitter daily.

I haven't being following the papers at all, throw up a few pro casey pieces there like a good man and I'll have a read of them.

Maybe start by finding a few sympathetic articles about his infamous traveller soundbites that were published before polling day :D

°°°°°

I dont know any publicans, I also dont own a pub. So yes that is outside my knowledge base.

If however i did know a publican or own a pub i could make an informed opinion on that question.

Who knows, it could be a no answer, it could equally be a yes.

But i cant make that opinion because as i said...... I dont know the ins or outs of the trade / loss of it.

You seem like an educated person, the ins and outs of running a pub are quite simple it would seem, to a point where needing specislised inside knowledge of the sector would not be needed to answer the question posed to you.

I would take from your response that you are being purposefully obtuse, in as much as the most obvious and logical answer would scupper your argument.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Do you know any journalists?

Any that i know, i actually went to school with 2. They are actually like me from a working class area. Yet they are now elites! nice to know , i must contact them both to tell them of their new found status.

The statistics on this are fairly clear. Journalism is largely a middle class occupation ( in particular in the IT etc.). A few exceptions aside, perhaps. I can't think of any working class accents in the media, though, outside of the sports columnists.

Lister, just lie and say yes I would open my pub and invite all those darling travellers in. At least that ends it and we can move on.

Who called them darlings?

Im not here to defend travellers, have you read my posts?

I am here calling casey a snake oil salesman. Selling nothing but Air that fella.

Anyone claiming him as a messiah deserves to be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If i was bothered to search back then i would but you can find them yourself, but your not bothered. Plenty of pro Casey opinion pieces out there.

They actually go along the lines of some posters in here about how he challenged the status quo and raised something we were not talking about.

You might enjoy them? ?

So nothing to support what you stated?

Not one link?

Nada?

You will understand if all your pronouncements are now given short shrift.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I can answer that of course.

I wouldnt open any business on christmas day.

Its my family time, no business is more important than family time for me.

So why can’t you answer a different hypothetical question ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

OT I know but I referred the other day to my "freebie five".

I've no knowledge base of riding Michael Fassbender but I can answer the question "would you ?"

Hypotheticals have their place in debate.

Ah so you know what the saying to go back to the school yard means then ?

Yes, which makes the irony subtle as you weren't mentioning school but a school yard. Subtle. It's a play on what you said. It's right there in the Clifton Strengths Assessment. I'm starting to doubt you even took that...

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I haven't being following the papers at all, throw up a few pro casey pieces there like a good man and I'll have a read of them.

Maybe start by finding a few sympathetic articles about his infamous traveller soundbites that were published before polling day :D

i typed in opinion piece travellers casey to google.

came back straight away

http://www.mayonews.ie/comment-opinion/133-comment-opinion/32872-casey-s-vote-needs-to-be-analysed-not-ridiculed

I mean there were lots of this over the last 2 weeks, i havent dreamt it up.

You can go look if you like

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement