Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,567 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can I ask DSVC, was the grammar naziism the reason it was closed?

We're only talking hypothetically about pubs :)

No. The closure was because reported posts were coming in faster than I could read the thread. Closed it because it seemed to be getting out of hand.

I understand the hypotheticalness (that's definitely a word), but it was getting ridiculously out of hand and was centered around a poster that can no longer post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I believe the technical term is hypotheticosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I believe the technical term is hypotheticosity.

Is that when your hypothesis feels grainy in your mouth?

Failed presidential candidate Peter Casey will be invited to join RENUA Ireland leader and Laois Offaly candidate and Offaly County Councillor John Leahy and replace him as the party's leader.

Peter Casey emerged from the pack to finish second to Michael D Higgins with over 20% of the vote with 340,000 votes across the country. Mr Casey received 8,419 votes in Laois and 9,253 votes in Offaly.

Mr Casey had been polling at 2% before making controversial comments about the ethnic status of travellers and labelling them "people living on other people's land."

Cllr Leahy, who is likely to be a Laois Offaly candidate at the next General Election, said he would be reaching out to Mr Casey.

"We're reaching out to Peter Casey because we believe he's in line with what we're saying, particularly on three of six of our core pillars, namely taxpayers first, entrepreneurship and law and order," Cllr Leahy told the Offaly Express.

"He's touched on law and order in terms of the traveller movement and from our point of view, we believe he was honest in what he was saying. We don't believe he was anti-traveller in any shape or form, but at least he was honest and reflecting what's actually happening on the ground," said Cllr Leahy.

The Offaly man sits on the Traveller Accommodation Committee.

"I've said this for two or three years at committee level that the way a small proportion of travellers carry on is disgraceful."

"You can't have a situation where there is an element of crime related to travellers, an element of illegal encampment and disregard for property and burning rubbish. There is one rule for the travellers and another rule for settled people, and that's the reality.

"I work with Travellers and don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Traveller, but what I'm saying is it's a reflection of what's happening on the ground, and people are looking for someone to come out and say that and he [Casey] came out and said it.

"But he said a lot more too, he spoke about taxpayers and entrepreneurship and I feel like people felt it was a breath of fresh air and decided they were going to reward him for his honesty and bravery in coming out," said Cllr Leahy added.

Speaking about the surprising level of the vote around Ireland for Peter Casey, Leahy said: "There is a message in that and it's that rural middle Ireland are sick to the teeth of everything going on at the moment, they're seeing ethnic minority groups getting status, making no contribution, not them all now but the vast majority, and people are absolutely sick of it."

"They're working every day, they're listening to Fine Gael's spin that the economy is recovering and they're looking after people who get up early in the morning. The reason they are getting up early in the morning is to sit on a motorway and to get an extra fiver a week in their pay packet in 2019, that's the reality."

Cllr Leahy suggested rural crime is another reason people voted for Peter Casey.

"Renua is strong on crime and we believe repeat offenders and anyone stepping out of line needs to be dealt with severely. Judges are not being tough enough and the people are suffering, especially in rural Ireland," he said.

Cllr Leahy said he thinks Peter Casey aligns with RENUA on these issues to a large extent and that he would welcome him to the party. He also said that if it came to it and Peter Casey had a mandate and the members of the party wanted him as leader, he wouldn't stand in his way and he would remain in the party in support of Peter Casey.

He aims to make contact with the Presidential runner-up in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm not sure how I feel about Renua but regardless things have just got very interesting :D

• Advertisement

Rennaws wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about Renua but regardless things have just got very interesting :D

Same here. They seemed to be another party of same old sh*t and probably will turn out to be but Leahy makes some good points.

I dunno maybe its all just a publicity stunt to try garner the votes that Casey got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Renua are a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

At leasts we know from now on that all the Wealthy people on our Media are crying out for Travellers near them .

Halting site Planners have been given the ‘ Go Ahead Nod "

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Renua are a joke.
    They have been up to now anyway.
    Perhaps Casey can make it something. 23% of the vote in a week is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ELM327 wrote: »
    They have been up to now anyway.
    Perhaps Casey can make it something. 23% of the vote in a week is pretty impressive.

I think joining Renua would do Casey more harm than good if he wants to have a genuine go at politics. There's an appetite there for their economic outlook for sure, but I think they're too socially conservative to really establish themselves in modern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I don't think Casey is polished enough to take over Renua and lead the party in a general election

They are starting from a very very low base

I think when we look back, Casey will be seen as a catalyst for change.

I don’t think he’s necessarily the man to do it but he has exposed a massive swell of anger and discontent with the status quo and the establishment parties and someone will eventually fill that void.

We desperately need a credible opposition to the shower of crooks we have now and anyone who can exploit that gap and snap up those votes will be enough to really rattle the big parties next time out at the polls..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Rennaws wrote: »
    I think when we look back, Casey will be seen as a catalyst for change.

I don’t think he’s necessarily the man to do it but he has exposed a massive swell of anger and discontent with the status quo and the establishment parties and someone will eventually fill that void.

We desperately need a credible opposition to the shower of crooks we have now and anyone who can exploit that gap and snap up those votes will be enough to really rattle the big parties next time out at the polls..

I'd sincerely hope that some people, who voted for MDHs might just ask why was so much vitriol and condescension directed at a percentage of people who actually turned out to vote and absolutely none at the majority of Irish people who didn't bother!

What kind of a democracy do we really have here if you can't comfortably express an opinion??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I have seen FG and FF councillors agree with Caseys view in recent days. But the TDs and leadership of those parties are a different story, gutless and scared to do anything the Irish Times disagree with. Maybe we may have some luck in local and MEP elections with more straight talkers.

Unfortunately my area looks like the same old FF/FG/SF garbage next time in the general election unless things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd sincerely hope that some people, who voted for MDHs might just ask why was so much vitriol and condescension directed at a percentage of people who actually turned out to vote and absolutely none at the majority of Irish people who didn't bother!

What kind of a democracy do we really have here if you can't comfortably express an opinion??

TBH I have never heard so much whinging from any group or cohort of the electorate than I have heard from Casey supporters.
    His opinion on travellers was robustly challenged and he rowed back on it ('I don't want to be elected on the basis of my traveller comments')and fell apart under questioning in the debate.

Get over it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I don't think Casey is polished enough to take over Renua and lead the party in a general election

They are starting from a very very low base

Agreed. He’s a very poor leader. He was squirming when asked difficult questions on the Presidential debates. He can’t even form a coherent well thought out sentence when put under pressure.

Plus he needs to scrub up better. Physically, he comes across well dodgy and needs to be groom better to be taken seriously.

He’s just not credible at all in any sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Fact Casey isn't a good speaker and still got 24% of the vote says everything.

Imagine if there is a good speaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The other 76% of the electorate saw sense and rejected him. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fxotoole wrote: »

Fact a man that was on 2% on the opinion polls jumped over 20% in over a week after making a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

TBH I have never heard so much whinging from any group or cohort of the electorate than I have heard from Casey supporters.
    His opinion on travellers was robustly challenged and he rowed back on it ('I don't want to be elected on the basis of my traveller comments')and fell apart under questioning in the debate.

Get over it folks.

I have honestly never seen a reaction like this in media to any candidate in any election, and I have always had a small bit of sympathy for how Sinn Fein have been treated over the last 10 years or so (verses for instance FF who get away with murder)

I've lost count how many articles have describe me and Casey voters as some kind of bigoted/racist/backward/knuckle dragger.

It doesn't bother me one jot such is the depth of disdain I have for Irish media I have taken great enjoyment playing a tiny tiny tiny part in those getting their knickers in a twist!

All an all its been a great couple of weeks!!!

• Advertisement

Enda managed to wing it with zero charisma or debating ability for years..

I think what he says is more important then how he says it..

I don’t know him so wouldn’t write him off.. I assume he created his own wealth so he’s no fool. I also believe he accepted that he has areas he needs to work on..

His honesty is one of his most likeable traits.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

fxotoole wrote: »

Yeah 1 to 23% in a week is rejection.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Get over it folks.

23.3 percent isn't much of a row back Francie.
    Casey isn't much of a politician alright and won't make a life in politics imo but you're shooting the messenger with your comments. It's the message that matters in this case and not the messenger.
    He has succeeded in highlighting the issues that matter to many people particularly those in rural areas and middle income workers who pay for all those people who don't get up in the mornings.
    You really need to suck it up.

I have honestly never seen a reaction like this in media to any candidate in any election, and I have always had a small bit of sympathy for how Sinn Fein have been treated over the last 10 years or so (verses for instance FF who get away with murder)

I've lost count how many articles have describe me and Casey voters as some kind of bigoted/racist/backward/knuckle dragger.

It doesn't bother me one jot such is the depth of disdain I have for Irish media I have taken great enjoyment playing a tiny tiny tiny part in those getting their knickers in a twist!

All an all its been a great couple of weeks!!!

This is becoming a bit of a myth. There has been very few articles describing Casey voters in those terms.

Over reacting and whinging because stereo-typing misinformation and mistruths are being challenged.

Casey made comments that he couldn't support or back up and those who went into his defence are now crying because they were debunked.
    I don't think I heard a single commentator use the word 'racist' or 'bigoted' in connection with Casey supporters. And I listen to talk radio, almost all day everyday. Not saying it didn't happen, just that it didn't happen 'countless' times. Calm down folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SF lost, Casey won.

I do realise that MDH got the Presidency AGAIN, even though he said never again. Backed up by all the parties that wanted to keep their war chest for the General Election.

Could be interesting going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Get over it folks.

:D......WoW !

Worry not Francie,folks have long since "gotten over it"......Perhaps we were getting different Irish Media feeds,but to suggest that Casey "fell apart under questioning" simply does not stack up.

His final tally of votes after his "falling apart" can't be explained if your diagnosis is to stand......

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/presidential-election--results-by-constituency-881461.html

342,736.....in voting terms,and particularly in Irish elections this is incredible stuff,but never fear,we're "getting over it" ;)

It's worth recalling that Casey was,by no means,cut any slack by the great & good of the Irish Media,virtually all of whom went into full on crazy mode at Casey actually mentioning the term Traveller...it did not matter then,nor does it now,what Casey actually said,but merely mentioning the group was enough to send the media rushing off in search of lighted tapers and gibbets.

Incredibly,even when faced with the biggest and baddest of Irelands Media Inquisitors,Casey remained steadfast,and certainly failed to "row-back",even under the sniffiest of condesending critique from the Glitterati of Irelands media.

What Casey does now,is to an extent irrelevant,as he has done what NO other Irish Social or Political figure had managed to do in over 4 decades...Casey Talked Straight,and in so doing struck the fear of Gawd into 99% of Ireland's Political establishment,which has become enmeshed in Political Science graduate inspired guff from our "Centres of Excellence" (formerly Universities I believe ?).

I'd personally give Casey a pension right now,purely on his contribution so far,and without him ever opening his gob again,for services rendered to Irish Democracy.

It's truly bizzarre to witness the depth of resistance to this Democracy thing,along with the need to redirect the voters gaze elsewhere...anywhere,except down d'country.....:)

In the meantime,the issues raised by,and streaming from Casey's candidature,are now,finally gettin some media attention...

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/one-day-someone-will-flip-farmers-issue-warning-to-trespassers/
    Apart from what the trespassers do on the land, Laurence highlighted that the other big issue is the concern that such people are scouting land looking for farm property such as machinery that could be stolen.

“There’s been a heap of stolen property. Livestock has been stolen as well; that’s how bad it has got – and, to be honest, we have been forgotten by the Gardai.

“We’ve been forgotten that there’s actually a rural Fingal and there’s a rural part of north Co. Dublin that has been not policed in recent years, and these guys know this – and they can get away with it. So it’s time that we put a stop to it.”

Laurence believes that the Gardai know the criminals behind the thefts but said that they told him they couldn’t do a whole lot, adding that the guards won’t follow through.

I wonder why ????

But,Francie is correct,some 342,736 voters (in excess of 10% of the entire electorate !) ARE getting over it...thanks for the help Francie ;) !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    :D......WoW !

Worry not Francie,folks have long since "gotten over it"......Perhaps we were getting different Irish Media feeds,but to suggest that Casey "fell apart under questioning" simply does not stack up.

His final tally of votes after his "falling apart" can't be explained if your diagnosis is to stand......

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/presidential-election--results-by-constituency-881461.html

342,736.....in voting terms,and particularly in Irish elections this is incredible stuff,but never fear,we're "getting over it" ;)

It's worth recalling that Casey was,by no means,cut any slack by the great & good of the Irish Media,virtually all of whom went into full on crazy mode at Casey actually mentioning the term Traveller...it did not matter then,nor does it now,what Casey actually said,but merely mentioning the group was enough to send the media rushing off in search of lighted tapers and gibbets.

Incredibly,even when faced with the biggest and baddest of Irelands Media Inquisitors,Casey remained steadfast,and certainly failed to "row-back",even under the sniffiest of condesending critique from the Glitterati of Irelands media.

What Casey does now,is to an extent irrelevant,as he has done what NO other Irish Social or Political figure had managed to do in over 4 decades...Casey Talked Straight,and in so doing struck the fear of Gawd into 99% of Ireland's Political establishment,which has become enmeshed in Political Science graduate inspired guff from our "Centres of Excellence" (formerly Universities I believe ?).

I'd personally give Casey a pension right now,purely on his contribution so far,and without him ever opening his gob again,for services rendered to Irish Democracy.

It's truly bizzarre to witness the depth of resistance to this Democracy thing,along with the need to redirect the voters gaze elsewhere...anywhere,except down d'country.....:)

In the meantime,the issues raised by,and streaming from Casey's candidature,are now,finally gettin some media attention...

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/one-day-someone-will-flip-farmers-issue-warning-to-trespassers/

I wonder why ????

But,Francie is correct,some 342,736 voters (in excess of 10% of the entire electorate !) ARE getting over it...thanks for the help Francie ;) !

This is just more mythmaking.

Casey was a whimpering mess on Aine Lawlor's radio show when he said that he did not want to be elected President on the basis of his traveller comments.

How much more evidence of a 'row back' do you need? He doubled down on that when he said his comments on travellers did not, in his opinion, get him his votes.
    When questioned on what extra rights SEMS gave travellers, he was shambolic, stuttering out 'benefits' to a panel who gleefully tore him a new one.

But so enamoured is his support, they can joyfully ignore the lack of back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Casey just has to be there, maybe make the odd comment about joining this or that party (which by all accounts drives them mad) and enjoy it now.

I have never heard a politician say things straight, get a humungous vote for honesty, and troll and enjoy the result.

The so called real politicians here must be bricking it now. Woo hoo. About time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

23.3 percent isn't much of a row back Francie.
    Casey isn't much of a politician alright and won't make a life in politics imo but you're shooting the messenger with your comments. It's the message that matters in this case and not the messenger.
    He has succeeded in highlighting the issues that matter to many people particularly those in rural areas and middle income workers who pay for all those people who don't get up in the mornings.
    You really need to suck it up.
    but surely with unemployment at an all time low there cant be many of "those people who don't get up early in the morning" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement