Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Andy Lee is on the show apparently. RTE wisely keeping John Connors etc off air. I don't think it matters with Casey now, I'm not sure he is going to do much more than what he achieved last week. I do hope he continues to troll people he is quite good at it.

I think it is hilarious his trolling now, and he has every right to do so.

MSM haven't a clue how to silence him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

You need to get out more, maybe.
    No need to get defensive over people in Ireland not being familiar with a very American phrase that you appear to be using incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AlekSmart wrote: »
    He really did'nt have much opportunity for "Preaching" though,did he ?

He never mentioned this "Hate" thing you and others,constantly reference.

He posed questions,that were being whispered throughout the country,and when the media thought their microphones had malfunctioned,he went and repeated the questions.

Perhaps unsurprisingly,the same media then,as you suggest went into "critical" mode,without really having anything concrete to be critical about.

Now,a critical media may well be your media,but I prefer an investigative approach initially before taking any decision to criticise or support.

Peter Casey ain't no messiah,hell,he is'nt even serious enough to be a "real" Politician,he's only a Millionaire,Billionaire or whatever,and thus guaranteed to have provided a constitutional crisis when the first PBP Ministers rocked up to collect their Seals of Office.....jeepers,how close we came to having some REAL Craic in the Country !!!! :D

Populist hate Pulpit,yea,right....this populist stuff must be popular then,is it ? ;)

He didn't 'preach' much is right. That's how incredibly easy it is to do.

Plenty exposure of rural crime across all media, nobody was hiding it. Another myth.

Yes, I think I wrote somewhere that I wouldn't be surprised if he got 20% as that accounts for what I think is the 'rant, but not arsed to do anything practical to change things' vote out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Connors is crying over on Twitter about Casey being on the LLS tomorrow.

John Connors is a bit of a wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Plenty exposure of rural crime across all media, nobody was hiding it. Another myth.

Yes, I think I wrote somewhere that I wouldn't be surprised if he got 20% as that accounts for what I think is the 'rant, but not arsed to do anything practical to change things' vote out there.

If no one was hiding the extent of the rural crime how come Peter Caseys vote came as such a surprise.

Even Leo Vradkar a seasoned politican didnt grasp what was going to happen, if he had he wouldnt have told people not to exercise their right to vote as they pleased at a ballot box. If Leo had any idea three hundred and forty thousand people were going to vote for Peter Casey he would have kept his mouth shut, leo quite clearly has no clue what is happening in rural Ireland, he needs to keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

The dishonesty of those in D4 or equivalent saying YES, NO PROBLEM with Traveller encampments on their doorsteps is just mad.

Most people think the same. But they have no voice.

I absolutely hate that kind of PC nonsense from the SJWs when they know it will never happen to them.
    Many D4 libs have cousins and family in the countryside. Maybe they should visit them more and experience more of the rest of the country. Living a very sheltered existence some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

All this guff about about racism and Ireland heading in a far right direction is completely off the wall.

The fact is that there are a lot of people in this country who are intimidated by travellers and have been victims of criminality committed by travellers. These people felt until now that nobody was able to voice their dissatisfaction with the status quo. I myself have had some incredibly negative experiences with travellers and feel that travellers themselves have to make some substantive changes to how they interact with the rest of society. I don't feel that makes me racist and I don't believe the people voting for Peter Casey want to subjugate travellers or feel that travellers don't deserve respect.

The clamor to cry racism after this is completely insane and an indication of how far up our own backsides we've gone as a country.
    Firstly, travellers have ethnic minority status, they are not a race unto themselves and they are Irish. For all the nonsense over use of correct titles in this day and age surely we can get this right, but then it doesnt make for quite as emotive headlines does it?

Even the issue of ethnic minority status has only erected more barriers between travellers and the rest of Irish society, they have their traditions and they have the right to practice them, but there are elements of traveller lifestyle that are completely at odds with progressive Ireland such as the treatment of women, the devout religious beliefs, the treatment of LGBT people in their community (most are too afraid to come out) as well as the brutal violence that permeates their culture.

I would suggest there is room for some evolution in the travelling community, some effort to be made to exist in a more symbiotic manner within Irish society and I think they would find an extremely receptive attitude would be forthcoming from the rest of us in the face of such action.

As for the notion of this election showing the rise of far right sentiment in Ireland, this is just the journalistic wet dream of every news publication and website in Ireland. Stir up nonsensical notions of a racist scourge and sell a heap of papers and make a bigger load of ad revenue in the process.

The notion of far right Ireland raising its ugly head is the media duping the Irish people like it never has before.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    All this guff about about racism and Ireland heading in a far right direction is completely off the wall.

The fact is that there are a lot of people in this country who are intimidated by travellers and have been victims of criminality committed by travellers. These people felt until now that nobody was able to voice their dissatisfaction with the status quo. I myself have had some incredibly negative experiences with travellers and feel that travellers themselves have to make some substantive changes to how they interact with the rest of society. I don't feel that makes me racist and I don't believe the people voting for Peter Casey want to subjugate travellers or feel that travellers don't deserve respect.

The clamor to cry racism after this is completely insane and an indication of how far up our own backsides we've gone as a country.
    Firstly, travellers have ethnic minority status, they are not a race unto themselves and they are Irish. For all the nonsense over use of correct titles in this day and age surely we can get this right, but then it doesnt make for quite as emotive headlines does it?

Even the issue of ethnic minority status has only erected more barriers between travellers and the rest of Irish society, they have their traditions and they have the right to practice them, but there are elements of traveller lifestyle that are completely at odds with progressive Ireland such as the treatment of women, the devout religious beliefs, the treatment of LGBT people in their community (most are too afraid to come out) as well as the brutal violence that permeates their culture.

I would suggest there is room for some evolution in the travelling community, some effort to be made to exist in a more symbiotic manner within Irish society and I think they would find an extremely receptive attitude would be forthcoming from the rest of us in the face of such action.

As for the notion of this election showing the rise of far right sentiment in Ireland, this is just the journalistic wet dream of every news publication and website in Ireland. Stir up nonsensical notions of a racist scourge and sell a heap of papers and make a bigger load of ad revenue in the process.

The notion of far right Ireland raising its ugly head is the media duping the Irish people like it never has before.

Spot on.

The bogie of the Far Right is indeed a duping mechanism from MSM who have no other answer. They are flummoxed!

°°°°°

Spot on.

The bogie of the Far Right is indeed a duping mechanism from MSM who have no other answer. They are flummoxed!

Ireland is so centrist we've wedgied our jocks so far up our arses from sitting on the political fence we need surgery to have them removed.

Glazers Out!

Good post but what are the traveller traditions that are important to preserve.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

tretorn wrote: »
    Good post but what are the traveller traditions that are important to preserve.

Well they have the right to preserve anything that isn't infringing on anybody's rights.

Glazers Out!

I know they can practice their traditions but I am wondering what these traditions are.

Part of the reason they got ethnic status must be to do with these traditions but I havent a clue what they are. Is marrying daughters off at seventeen to a cousin one of the traditions, surely we should discourage this practice.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Sinn Fein made a big mistake letting John Connors become their part time spokesman/cheerleader. A section of the Gardai and their families were softening in their views on Sinn Fein since the Jerry McCabe incident things have changed. But then you have SF supporter John Connors on the Late Late calling Gardai scum. The optics of Gardai in balaclavas wasn't good but Connors reaction was not a smart move.

Ireland is so centrist we've wedgied our jocks so far up our arses from sitting on the political fence we need surgery to have them removed.

Well put, but that would never be seen in any MSM either although it is true.

I'd suggest a little bit left of centre or even full on Left though prevails, and anyone not with the program has no voice if they veer otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing wrong with being devout, it is what is expected of members of the Catholic church. And if you are correct about their attitude to LGBT then they are only following the teaching of the church.

Sinn Fein made a big mistake letting John Connors become their part time spokesman/cheerleader. A section of the Gardai and their families were softening in their views on Sinn Fein since the Jerry McCabe incident things have changed. But then you have SF supporter John Connors on the Late Late calling Gardai scum. The optics of Gardai in balaclavas wasn't good but Connors reaction was not a smart move.

Part of the reason the Gardai wore balaclavas was in case corrosive substances were thrown at their faces.

The other reason would be the online witch hunt that would be directed against them. Why should Gardai put their lives and their families lives at risk when they are carrying out orders to do their job.

About time the millionaire Travellers with their new jeeps and mega Communions and all the rest of it are being called out.

Casey has let the cork out of the bottle. I hope he works on that now. Even though every msm is having conniptions because their received wisdom is being challenged.

°°°°°

Nothing wrong with being devout, it is what is expected of members of the Catholic church. And if you are correct about their attitude to LGBT then they are only following the teaching of the church.

Sorry but following the teaching of the church doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid.

Glazers Out!

Sorry but following the teaching of the church doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid.

If you were a devout Catholic it would.

tretorn wrote: »
    I know they can practice their traditions but I am wondering what these traditions are.

Part of the reason they got ethnic status must be to do with these traditions but I havent a clue what they are. Is marrying daughters off at seventeen to a cousin one of the traditions, surely we should discourage this practice.

We all know what they do, but we cannot say it.

But maybe now we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Devout Catholics do not covet there neighbours goods.

°°°°°

Very droll.
    There are plenty of Catholics in Ireland and elsewhere who can see that LGBT people should not be discriminated against. The sad fact is that the travelling community have an awful lot of prejudices they need to address themselves and its high time they did.

Glazers Out!

Very droll.
    There are plenty of Catholics in Ireland and elsewhere who can see that LGBT people should not be discriminated against. The sad fact is that the travelling community have an awful lot of prejudices they need to address themselves and its high time they did.

I have never heard any of their spokespersons saying anything against LGBT. Where are you getting the information?

°°°°°

I have never heard any of their spokespersons saying anything against LGBT. Where are you getting the information?

Are you really taking things to this level?

OK a quick search...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/gay-travellers-entering-arranged-marriages-to-avoid-shame-1.3248791?mode=amp

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-didnt-want-to-live-anymore-travellers-torment-before-coming-out-as-gay-35078122.html

I can grab a few more if you like but whats outlined above is reasonably common knowledge, although I'm assuming that doesn't fit your agenda..

Glazers Out!

Are you really taking things to this level?

OK a quick search... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/gay-travellers-entering-arranged-marriages-to-avoid-shame-1.3248791

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-didnt-want-to-live-anymore-travellers-torment-before-coming-out-as-gay-35078122.html

I can grab a few more if you like but whats outlined above is reasonably common knowledge, although I'm assuming that doesn't fit your agenda..

No that's fine. But I'm surprised you had to Google to find evidence to support your claims. The way I read your earlier posts led me to think that you worked with Travellers and have thus gathered a very detailed knowledge of their attitudes to religion and LGBT.

°°°°°

No that's fine. But I'm surprised you had to Google to find evidence to support your claims. The way I read your earlier posts led me to think that you worked with Travellers and have thus gathered a very detailed knowledge of their attitudes to religion and LGBT.

What would you have me do, use some anecdotal story? Had I done that you'd have asked for evidence.
    You're just being contrary at this stage.
    Do you think that travellers attitudes to LGBT people is positive or negative, please explain in detail.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Traveller crime gang in England behind 250 burglaries in 11 months netting them £2million, BBC selective in their mention of the T wurd like de RTE...

Daily Mail story
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6343377/Smash-grab-traveller-gang-admit-netting-2m-haul-11-month-crime-spree.html

BBC story
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46060729

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

He spoiled the election for a lot of other candidates, his percentage certainly took from all the others.
    He might be the biggest buffoon in Ireland, but that doesn't make his points about travellers or welfare any less relevant.
    I see a theme here of rubbishing him. There are permeantations of why that might be politically.
    Let's just say for instance he took say 5/6% off Ni Riada, that makes her campaign look like a failure as compared to 12/13% she may have had, giving SF something to present a positive slant on.
    If he runs in an election and perhaps with a party it would pay the other party's to try to rubbish him.
    His points struck a cord with a large percentage of voters, that makes his pitch dangerous going forward to the established and emerging party's like SF.
    I can easily see why we'll known certain party supporters would try to rubbish him, despite substantial evidence his points are valid.
    Certain stances don't surprise me at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

you really think that the gardai were softening on SF ? where do you get that from . The murder of friends isnt something you soften on .

A POS like connors acting like a POS wouldn't have any impact on that

• Advertisement

Marian Keyes and other Libs melting down on twitter over Casey on the Late Late

Unbelievable how little it takes to offend them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement