Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes, agree totally with those views.

People in charge (Govt.)should have one major plank in their policies.

That is make work pay, and ensure that those who can work, do work, and cannot hide under slates tipping around and availing of the benefits that those working have to pay for.

Of course there are other issues too, but the plain people are sick to the teeth of being ripped off by gamers.

Cannot understand why the media round on those trying to protect the taxpayer by being diligent weeding out these gamers.

But are they gaming the system if they are entitled to all of this in Treasure Island? These people are hardly going to stop claiming, the GOVERNMENT preside of this shambles and make the rules, the buck stops with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Complete media shut down? Casey has been all over the media for weeks.

Hes been all over the media being criticized by the media! All the usual suspects Kitty Holland, Fintan O Toole etc etc all lining up to say how shocked they were to find out nearly 25% of the population were racists.

Interesting slot on Ivan Yates radio show from Rathkeale where Peter Casey had one of his biggest votes, a town where 80% of the houses are apparently owned by travellers. Lots of big houses, new cars and vans, no shortage of money obviously. Gets "lively" in December when around 2000 relations arrive back for a month.
    The source of the money?, maybe google Rathkeale rovers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tretorn wrote: »
    I was chatting to a farmer from a rural area recently.

Where were you expecting him to be from? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Idbatterim wrote: »
    But are they gaming the system if they are entitled to all of this in Treasure Island? These people are hardly going to stop claiming, the GOVERNMENT preside of this shambles and make the rules, the buck stops with them!

Some are, some aren’t.

I have no issue at all with people who genuinely are needing help, no issue at all.

I do agree it’s the Governments job to ensure full compliance, but my main point is that the media would then get stuck in unlike their attitude to the lefty lot who say yes to everything as long as their cohort are not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Nine Anti Peter Casey articles by The Irish Times in the space of four days, all with what went wrong with Casey and Casey voters.

WHAT?!? Nine of them? Surely that's a record! I wouldn't believe you only for you linked them. There's very few other issues that have come up that have warranted nine articles from the Irish Times.

I think the real issue Casey brought up here is not the travellers at all, but rather the disconnect that exists between the Irish Media and reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Complete media shut down? Casey has been all over the media for weeks.

He was given his time on the presidential debates. There was no choice but to allow him that. Other than that he was treated as a lunatic, all positive comment suppressed, polls which would have clearly shown his support suppressed. Even following his 23% vote, the media come out and say Casey polls 23% despite his comments when clearly it was due to his comments that he polled well.
    He was painted a racist, a nutter, incoherent and then polls showing no movement from 2% published on the last sunday before the election. There was a clear strategy to shut him down and no doubt it worked to some degree.

How many people heard him speak, agreed with him but then saw that he was still a 2% no hoper and decided that maybe they didnt have the correct picture and so didnt vote for him. Look at that against an alternative situation where a sunday paper before the election showed him at 30 to 40 percent in rural areas. People would have been much more likely to vote with him as they agreed with everything he said.
    The media and the government did everything in their power to shut him down and paint him is a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hes been all over the media being criticized by the media! All the usual suspects Kitty Holland, Fintan O Toole etc etc all lining up to say how shocked they were to find out nearly 25% of the population were racists.

Interesting slot on Ivan Yates radio show from Rathkeale where Peter Casey had one of his biggest votes, a town where 80% of the houses are apparently owned by travellers. Lots of big houses, new cars and vans, no shortage of money obviously. Gets "lively" in December when around 2000 relations arrive back for a month.
    The source of the money?, maybe google Rathkeale rovers for that.

He is well able to speak for himself, and I cannot believe the amount of access he has been given on radio and TV. I heard him saying he is going to become leader of Fianna Fail and then Taoiseach. After winning a seat in Donegal which he seems to think is a shoo in. And as Taoiseach he will take Ireland into NATO.

Some are, some aren’t.

I have no issue at all with people who genuinely are needing help, no issue at all.

I do agree it’s the Governments job to ensure full compliance, but my main point is that the media would then get stuck in unlike their attitude to the lefty lot who say yes to everything as long as their cohort are not paying.

Yeah but thats why you would expect some leadership, some backbone, which we have NONE of here, LEO the LIAR is a wishy washy populist clown!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Where were you expecting him to be from? :confused::D
    Dublin 4 does tend to have a lot of Four Wheel Drives . So mistakes can be made .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

WHAT?!

I think the real issue Casey brought up here is not the travellers at all, but rather the disconnect that exists between the Irish Media and reality.

Which gives the tree huggers a false sense of belief that they are speaking for the majority and that objectors are a minority of fascists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Well If Renua cannot make huge gains in the next general election after all this then they should just fold immediately after.

The country has been crying out for a party who will actually tackle the sponger state we have become over the years that allows the increase of other uselessness and ferile humans.

Casey has shown (by accident I believe) is what a lot of working people actually really believe and surely Renue will take this mantle on from here in the next election?

If not then there is a huge opportunity for a new party to enter politics here and take maybe a 20% share of the votes to start with as im sure a lot of Middle income workers feel this way. I know I would vote for them.

What sickens me is the media now putting a different spin on all this, deflecting away again from the actual message of 'we are sick of the wasters getting everything for free at our expense' to one about racist beliefs ect when its not about that at all.

And if I hear FF and FG try and come in with some BS at the next election about how they would tackle this, they can get lost. Too little too late for me, they don't even have the balls to state openly now what im sure a lot in their parties actually believe. Now im sure they are going be worried about the vote that will be lost to a renue or whoever goes in for this vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE's Liveline have a traveller on screaming racism

Setting things up for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Heres the guys story. To be fair the clubs officers are backing him, so it seems very unlikely he is making it up.
    http://clarechampion.ie/travellers-racism/

And if I hear FF and FG try and come in with some BS at the next election about how they would tackle this, they can get lost. Too little too late for me, they don't even have the balls to state openly now what im sure a lot in their parties actually believe. Now im sure they are going be worried about the vote that will be lost to a renue or whoever goes in for this vote.

yeah I agree and I said it months ago, I dont care what those lying scum said, they said they would reward workers, they havent, 8 years to get their act together on housing crisis and its getting worse. FG will probably never have my vote again and certainly not with that rotten serpent as Taoiseach!

You know what the hilarious thing is, I reckon the best any new party could do here, is 25% of the vote, at an absolute push. Most of them will continue to vote for the same morons they always have, regardless of their platfrom etc!

Is he a Black Traveller or some other race than White ?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

isn't PBH the most irritating condescending broadcaster toff you ever heard. jeeze how does he get away with it. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Heres the guys story. To be fair the clubs officers are backing him, so it seems very unlikely he is making it up.

Never came across that sort of traveller before, one who doesn't react violently if you so much as look at them.

What I find funny is that if a traveller marries outside their 'race' they would more often then not be shunned by their own families. So who is the actual racist here? They are the racists if anyone is.

How is it possible to exist in this country for so long and still be so genetically different to everyone else to get them a special status here as a separate ethic group unless they have made a huge effort to never mix with other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CucaFace wrote: »
    Well If Renua cannot make huge gains in the next general election after all this then they should just fold immediately after.

The country has been crying out for a party who will actually tackle the sponger state we have become over the years that allows the increase of other uselessness and ferile humans.

Casey has shown (by accident I believe) is what a lot of working people actually really believe and surely Renue will take this mantle on from here in the next election?

If not then there is a huge opportunity for a new party to enter politics here and take maybe a 20% share of the votes to start with as im sure a lot of Middle income workers feel this way. I know I would vote for them.

What sickens me is the media now putting a different spin on all this, deflecting away again from the actual message of 'we are sick of the wasters getting everything for free at our expense' to one about racist beliefs ect when its not about that at all.

They would need to drop the pro life thing though,
    20% of the nation is good for a new party (astounding), but 20% of 30% of the nation is not so good.

Do the travellers ever say anything nasty to anyone ?

How are travellers with gay people , non travellers , other races of people ?

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    They would need to drop the pro life thing though,
    20% of the nation is good for a new party (astounding), but 20% of 30% of the nation is not so good.

Yep the pro life thing is crazy and they really need to get rid of Lucinda Creighton. If they could get the right people into this party they would do well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yep the pro life thing is crazy and they really need to get rid of Lucinda Creighton. If they could get the right people into this party they would do well for themselves.
    Isn't she gone already too

Creighton is long gone! I think most people dont even know they exist! Creighton ironically was head and shoulders above those other wasters that make up the DAIL! Hopefully she comes back in if Casey leads the party. Although I wonder whether him leading the party is a good idea...

They should also be for USC abolition... IF casey goes to Renua, their policies will be spotlighted, we are going to have an election fairly soon one way or another, if they are thinking of changing policies, now is the time do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Never came across that sort of traveller before, one who doesn't react violently if you so much as look at them.

Do you think he is not receiving racial abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Michael, his brothers and his cousin were less likely to be awarded frees than other players, he believes, while he says racist comments directed at people on the basis of their skin colour wouldn’t be tolerated, but that anti-Traveller statements are tacitly accepted. “If a referee knew of a black person getting racist comments, there’d be a sending off. When it’s us they don’t want to believe it, they’re only telling us to forget about it, pretend you never heard about it. They’re not even saying about it in their reports. It makes you not want to play when you’re getting that abuse every week.”

A referee cannot act of he does not hear the 'racist' comments themselves

Player A comes to a ref and says Player B called me ___

Player B says I didn't

Why should the referee believe Player A automatically?

If a referee doesn't take action there is no point in putting in a report with a He said, She said scenario

Do you think he is not receiving racial abuse?

I honestly don't know. The timing is handy if they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I honestly don't know. The timing is handy if they are though.

How its the timing of abuse handy if it prevents you from playing a sport that you love ?

This is getting a bit silly now...

listermint wrote: »
    How its the timing of abuse handy if it prevents you from playing a sport that you love ?

This is getting a bit silly now...

The timing of the story after all the talk about travellers lately. I'm sure you've heard it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The timing of the story after all the talk about travellers lately. I'm sure you've heard it too.

The timing of the story....

Yesterday i was harrassed about giving an article from the MayoNews on a positive opinion piece on Casey because rural papers from out west were not indicative of whats going on.

Today the Clare Champion is a source of media spin to show the struggle of travellers in a certain light because of recent events.

Was hillary behind this release ?

• Advertisement

Yesterday you were asked to stop posting in a thread by the mods. If you're going to talk more gowl about Hillary I'd suggest you do the same thing today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement