Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Trumpies??

:)

Trumpkins; Trumpettes; angry gammon mobs calling for acts of attainder. Whichever description you prefer!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

autumn2018 wrote: »
    wrong
    he is a filthy commie and a thief of taxpayer money
    fidel castro would hang miky d for his greed
    greedy snotty commie:D
    There's something else Castro might have hanged him for too, if rumours are to be believed.

I just can't get my head around how D could have admired such a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

There's something else Castro might have hanged him for too, if rumours are to be believed.

See, one thing that's not really transferable over from US elections is the line of thinking that you can defame whoever you like in public life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Casey could become this protest vote option now with people wanting to take the piss. Like a few years ago when a crazy song got the Christmas number 1, because people just wanted to have a go.

Will certainly be interesting to see the public’s reaction to a politician taking an anti-Traveller stance. Could be an indication of sorts of the population’s general sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

I just can't get my head around how D could have admired such a man.
    tbh i have heard the unsubstantiated rumours aswell, aswell as some stories told in private that can't be repeated:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

PC has moved from 500/1 to 300/1 on Paddy Power following the debate. I suspect the odds will move again after he visits that traveller site in Tipperary tomorrow. Get some of that action while it’s hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

PC has moved from 500/1 to 300/1 on Paddy Power following the debate. I suspect the odds will move again after he visits that traveller site in Tipperary tomorrow. Get some of that action while it’s hot!

Got €5 @500/1 and €20 @100/1 w/o MDH. That went to 25 by the debate.

i'm literally all in on casey
    if he wins i'll be retiring
    so gotta shill 24/7 for peter the next nine days:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Know of a case in a primary school where they have just had a couple of traveller kids join them. First day in the class the behavior problems were fairly bad with some threats been made at against other kids.

So disruptive to the school an SNA had to be taken from special needs children to be assigned to them. You wonder why people have problems with them, how much abuse and disruption should be allowed because they are an "ethnic" minority. This runs through most everything they deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

autumn2018 wrote: »
    i'm literally all in on casey
    if he wins i'll be retiring
    so gotta shill 24/7 for peter the next nine days:pac:

Max bet was €25 @500/1, so 12.5k might not get you retirement.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Max bet was €25 @500/1, so 12.5k might not get you retirement.
    ha you caught me out
    i don't gamble myself but i love trying to stir up the market:)
    but if i had money i would back casey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Rte, defending travelers while at the same time had a section outside a court down the country on Sean O Rourke show where travelers were up for robbing dogs and trying ot breed them. They ot caught and were laughing about it and the fact they may do jail time. Also horse neglect on a regular basis, sulky races and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am now just willing some travelers to rock up outside all their houses with their horses in tow etc. They're pretty much the only 4 people in the country who wouldn't mind in the least so why not?
    Let's see Gavin Duffy sipping his morning tea admiring the view, telling us how their cultural need for a close relationship with horses in his front garden comes before home prices in the area.

The utter lies they were willing to spout on that issue were just so disappointing. I couldn't believe anything else out of their mouths after that little exercise, not even a slight acknowledgement of the nuance of the situations that might arise in that instance, even if you are sympathetic to the traveler community. I consider myself sympathetic, but it doesn't cloud my view to the realities of the situation.

That figure Michael D tripped off the tongue, young traveler men 6 times more likely to commit suicide than other young men. Could it possibly be because they're born into a culture that offers them nothing, no outlet for their intellect, no respect within their society, suppression for their need as humans to work and make a full life for themselves and absolutely nothing to aspire to? Yet our would be presidents won't even acknowledge that this didn't just happen like an illness, we can't even explore in conversation that it's a consequence of a lifestyle enforced on small kids who are brainwashed into believing social ostracisation, poverty, abusing animals and in some cases living in utter squalor is their only birthright, one that they must fight to hang onto? It's a diservice to society at large but an even bigger one to the travelling community who could have a big increase in mortality rates in only a few years if they'd just abandon the past in favour of offering their kids a real future. I can't understand how we can have any tolerance for that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

It seems to be enough for some people to vote for Casey solely because he has identified issues.

What workable suggestions does he have, or power would he even command, in order to truly address these issues were he to win? This appears to be something not even worth thinking about before voting apparently.

Cue the thankswhoring 'i want travellers to pay tax/stop doing xyz/acquire jobs' cliched response, all the while ignoring the reality that by simply being a Traveller your employment opportunities are reduced significantly.

Also spare me the 'you've obviously never met/spent time with/lived near Travellers' generalisations too, as I have a great deal.

I'd agree that some behaviours are indeed worth challenging and ideally working to phase out in time. Changing them however is never going to come about by simply pointing and saying 'your problem, you deal with it'. It hasn't worked up to now, and it's not going to work.

If people truly wanted change, and to address issues they have with the Traveller community, they would get behind initiatives to create a bridge between them and settled communities, and open a dialogue. Some issues within the Traveller community have become so deeply embedded and mixed up within their ordinary day to day life, they can be near impossible to identify from within or see the scope of the problem for what it is with without the advantage of an objective point of view. This makes them particularly difficult to set about solving alone.

It seems all that people actually want though, judging by the numerous conversations here, is to rain hatred on other people and leave feeling good about it.
    I see no suggestions of attempting to engage meaningfully, and to foster a positive approach to encourage change. Just hatred and intolerance.

Frustration with how things are between our communities is of course understandable, but to in order to affect any true change the solution would need to be positively focused, proactive and collaborative in nature.

It seems to be enough for some people to vote for Casey solely because he has identified issues.

What workable suggestions does he have, or power would he even command, in order to truly address these issues were he to win? This appears to be something not even worth thinking about before voting apparently.

Cue the thankswhoring 'i want travellers to pay tax/stop doing xyz/acquire jobs' cliched response, all the while ignoring the reality that by simply being a Traveller your employment opportunities are reduced significantly.

Also spare me the 'you've obviously never met/spent time with/lived near Travellers' generalisations too, as I have a great deal.

I'd agree that some behaviours are indeed worth challenging and ideally working to phase out in time. Changing them however is never going to come about by simply pointing and saying 'your problem, you deal with it'. It hasn't worked up to now, and it's not going to work.

If people truly wanted change, and to address issues they have with the Traveller community, they would get behind initiatives to create a bridge between them and settled communities, and open a dialogue. Some issues within the Traveller community have become so deeply embedded and mixed up within their ordinary day to day life, they can be near impossible to identify from within or see the scope of the problem for what it is with without the advantage of an objective point of view. This makes them particularly difficult to set about solving alone.

It seems all that people actually want though, judging by the numerous conversations here, is to rain hatred on other people and leave feeling good about it.
    I see no suggestions of attempting to engage meaningfully, and to foster a positive approach to encourage change. Just hatred and intolerance.

Frustration with how things are between our communities is of course understandable, but to in order to affect any true change the solution would need to be positively focused, proactive and collaborative in nature.

What utter swill. As a society we have been overly accommodating, yet there has been little effort on their part to reach across the parapet. Turning down a €1.7 million gratis development is merely the latest travesty, all of the entitlements with none of the responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

he wasn't though. in general, people can express an opinion away, they just have to except they will be challenged on it.
    i except that private media is rather different and depending on the particular platform, it will restrict some opinions and i disagree with that but as a whole, people are free to have an opinion.

Are they though?
    Peter Casey expressed an unpopular opinion shared by a lot of people and the president of the country was immediately out to condemn it and call it "appalling". Not to refute it or challenge it.
    Other reactions from canditates ranged from "reckless and inflammatory" to "abhorrent".
    They are value judgments, not challenges.

If being challenged on an opinion was the only consequence of expressing it in this climate we'd have a much healthier society, but it's not. Shame and exclusion are the response to a view that goes against the zeitgeist grain these days. You are no longer just wrong, you are now morally or intellectually deficient if you don't see what the crowd sees. It's not an open society in which to express yourself freely. I think he was right when he said debate here is being smothered because of it. Stifling the exchange of ideas and opinions is a dangerous road, it also stifles the evolution of thought and consequently policy. We are robbing ourselves of our full potential by not trusting that our values are sound enough to be tested, that we can either refute or learn from opinons that differ from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

What utter swill. As a society we have been overly accommodating, yet there has been little effort on their part to reach across the parapet. Turning down a €1.7 million gratis development is merely the latest travesty, all of the entitlements with none of the responsibilities.

I can't really see how that makes what I'm saying 'swill'? :confused:

You're talking specific issues, that ought to be judged and taken issue with for what they are with the particular Travellers involved in them, and understandably so.
    I'm commenting on the broader issues affecting all of us, Travellers and settled alike, surprisingly taking into consideration many Travellers not involved in whatever specific issue you might choose to call up.
    I can't see how suggesting the idea of active engagement on a personal and community level to promote overall positive change in relations is relatable to this or similar specific incidents. Is the idea of cross-cultural engagement really so offensive?

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to argue that simply being born a Traveller in this country isn't a disadvantage and a curse in itself from the off.
    People simply will not, and seemingly cannot give you the benefit of the doubt that you may be a good person with good intentions, and a will to make something positive of yourself and contribute to society.

Even if you should, as an increasing number have, people still see fit to throw about generalisations, choosing to identify and hate all Travellers by the behaviours of some.

How is this in any way productive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a very low bar in the election

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm guessing he probably shouldn't be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If he brought that discussion to the table to discuss rationally, that'd be fine - it's the way it was the opening line in a rant, worthy of a boardsie going off on one. Not presidential material.

If being "Presidential Material" in the Irish context is swanning around events such as Summer Schools and delivering long rambling,poetically inspired,talks about nothing much really,then fair play to those who identify with the Presidency reflecting that.

What this Casey lad may have tapped into is a demographic who never went to a Summer School in their lives,and who could,nt recognize a Seamus Heaney pome if it were to be writ on the back of their hands....

P.Casey No:1 :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

please do not denigrate the office of the President by voting for a lying fascist.

Ah musha,it's ok...there's precedent for it....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Grayson wrote: »
    His salary is less than that. And he's also gifted his pension back.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/heat-on-tds-as-president-higgins-rejects-pay-rise-427187.html

So, yeah, he's doing a good job of filling his pocket by gifting all that back to the state.

That's interesting..."It has been reported"....unusual wording there....who reported it....to whom was it reported...has the report been verified...and who is the accountant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Saying what 95% of people think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Are they though?
    Peter Casey expressed an unpopular opinion shared by a lot of people and the president of the country was immediately out to condemn it and call it "appalling". Not to refute it or challenge it.
    Other reactions from canditates ranged from "reckless and inflammatory" to "abhorrent".
    They are value judgments, not challenges.

If being challenged on an opinion was the only consequence of expressing it in this climate we'd have a much healthier society, but it's not. Shame and exclusion are the response to a view that goes against the zeitgeist grain these days. You are no longer just wrong, you are now morally or intellectually deficient if you don't see what the crowd sees. It's not an open society in which to express yourself freely. I think he was right when he said debate here is being smothered because of it. Stifling the exchange of ideas and opinions is a dangerous road, it also stifles the evolution of thought and consequently policy. We are robbing ourselves of our full potential by not trusting that our values are sound enough to be tested, that we can either refute or learn from opinons that differ from the norm.

Tremendous post and absolutely right. I read this morning that Sean Gallagher said Casey made a racist comment when he said that the other candidates lying about their feelings towards travellers on the debate was like “giving chocolate to a diabetic, it’s not helpful.” How on earth is that racist?

Shania Twain recently said in an interview that she’d have voted for Trump because at least he does what he says. It was a small part of a much bigger interview. She’s Canadian and not even eligible to vote in the US. There was an outcry afterwards and she had to withdraw the comment and apologise. For simply saying she’d have voted for the man.

How the f**k is that an environment conducive to democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Tremendous post and absolutely right. I read this morning that Sean Gallagher said Casey made a racist comment when he said that the other candidates lying about their feelings towards travellers on the debate was like “giving chocolate to a diabetic, it’s not helpful.” How on earth is that racist?

Shania Twain recently said in an interview that she’d have voted for Trump because at least he does what he says. It was a small part of a much bigger interview. She’s Canadian and not even eligible to vote in the US. There was an outcry afterwards and she had to withdraw the comment and apologise. For simply saying she’d have voted for the man.

How the f**k is that an environment conducive to democracy?

No she didn't - she chose too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

This thread is an example of why people cannot voice opinions anymore - many many people have had bad personal experiences with travellers, that is an indisputable fact, this has caused many many people to have a very poor view of travellers but you can't express that because if you do, you're told that you must be delighted with traveller suicide rates, travellers in education levels, travellers being discriminated against.

These people do nothing to contribute towards society, if they decide they want something, they take it, if it belongs to someone else, tough shit. And they've now been afforded the state protection of special ethnic status to stand behind anytime they're under scrutiny.

Where's Pavee Point and Michael D Higgins and the rest of the permanently offended brigade when travellers are terrorising old people in their homes, robbing from farms, trespassing and demanding payment to leave, wrecking the place at communions, weddings and funerals?
    None of these people want to address the actual problems faced by the traveller community (which are all of their own making), instead, they've afforded them special status making their community even more isolated.

I'll be interested in helping travellers when they're interested in helping themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

No she didn't - she chose too.

Okay she felt she had to because, from an extensive interview on her career and comeback, media outlets picked up on and reported the Trump bit which was a minor part of the interview near the end.

Either way, expressing an opinion that you’d have voted for the democratically elected President of the US has become a toxic opinion to hold in public. That’s not an environment where democracy can really flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If he's visiting them he might ask them how many are over 18 that are unemployed and ask them for how long. Ask them how many training courses they have been on to upskill if any of them were unemployed. Ask them if their present living conditions are acceptable and ask them if the horses issue (such an expensive part of their culture what with chipping and vet bills and food etc etc) is more important than letting their kids live in brand new houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

If people agree with Peter they should vote for him. Remember though on results day, that 90%+ of people don't agree with him and didn't vote for him.

One thing that is absolutely guaranteed, is Peter Casey's 'internet support' will be nowhere to be found come polling day.

I am genuinely looking forward to his next stunt though. How low can he go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think Casey peaked too soon.

But hopefully not. I do hope his utterances gain some traction and debate. I am not hopeful though given the way MSM stifles any debate re Travellers and non EU Immigrants and so on. Issues we are interested in and wish to talk about but cannot.
    Peaked?

Thats a funny one - have you seen the polls

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement