Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A question for those who will now vote for Casey because he "has the balls to say what everyone is thinking".

Why would his feeling towards travellers be the deciding factor in your vote ? What do you expect him to do about travellers when he becomes president?

F all. He will go quiet on it and more or less withdraw his remarks in a roundabout way

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

autumn2018 wrote: »
    ha you caught me out
    i don't gamble myself but i love trying to stir up the market:)
    but if i had money i would back casey

You don't even have 50c in liquid assets to "invest" in his sure-fire win? €150 clear profit!

You must be from an even more marginalised community than Liadh Ni Riada!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

He is the main headline in the campaign right now, the most talked about candidate. From his position in the polls he was as well to say something controversial because realistically he had no other option to raise his profile at least.
    It won't get him elected, but it will at least let people know he's there.

Peaked?

That poster might be looking at the "moral tone" graph. While standing on their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

erica74 wrote: »
    This thread is an example of why people cannot voice opinions anymore - many many people have had bad personal experiences with travellers, that is an indisputable fact, this has caused many many people to have a very poor view of travellers but you can't express that because if you do, you're told that you must be delighted with traveller suicide rates, travellers in education levels, travellers being discriminated against.

These people do nothing to contribute towards society, if they decide they want something, they take it, if it belongs to someone else, tough shit. And they've now been afforded the state protection of special ethnic status to stand behind anytime they're under scrutiny.

Where's Pavee Point and Michael D Higgins and the rest of the permanently offended brigade when travellers are terrorising old people in their homes, robbing from farms, trespassing and demanding payment to leave, wrecking the place at communions, weddings and funerals?
    None of these people want to address the actual problems faced by the traveller community (which are all of their own making), instead, they've afforded them special status making their community even more isolated.

I'll be interested in helping travellers when they're interested in helping themselves.

A very good post and I think you are coming from like myself the countryside view and the second view is the city point of view,
    The country side view is an every day with seeing what is happening, the robbing, the fear, the anti social, a couple of examples the dogs out killing sheep, the night hunting across lands, and the trespassing of horses on lands for grazing and the sulky racing on the public road and the fear of elderly farmers of being broken into and robbed in their own homes and any where they camp the mess they leave after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hoboo wrote: »
    Got €5 @500/1 and €20 @100/1 w/o MDH. That went to 25 by the debate.

€25 - you're just brimming with confidence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Max bet was €25 @500/1, so 12.5k might not get you retirement.

I’m sure Paddy Power has more than one shop??

All the other 5 candidates are clambering for the non-existent traveller vote :pac:

Is that the five on 98% of the vote in the polls....perhaps think before posting! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Having reflected on everything, this is where I now stand

The 6 candidates appear willing to say or do anything to get elected. That is more akin to candidates for the Dail rather then being Presidential. I'm hugely disappointed by that.

At the end of the day, the job has 3 requirements. Know the Constitution, meet & great and (most importantly) don't make an eejit of yourself. Michael D has managed to get through 7 years of that so far, I doubt the others could.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Those first free bet offers don't apply to this do they?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    fair play to peter, you have to admire him for this. the rest of them are cowards and liars.

What's to admire - a pampered millionaire business man lording it over a broadly impoverished section of the community - yeah he's fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

MFPM wrote: »
    What's to admire - a pampered millionaire business man lording it over a broadly impoverished section of the community - yeah he's fab!

Impoverished!
    Thats a good one

Got €5 @500/1 and €20 @100/1 w/o MDH. That went to 25 by the debate.

The 100/1 bar seems like daycent value. Gallagher's vote can hardly be that stable, or for that matter, that deep or sophisicated. A swing from him to another, shoutier, more lowest-common-denominator dwagon could easily see Casey into (a very distant) second place.

Might even get some of his expenses back!

carq wrote: »
    Impoverished!
    Thats a good one

Vast offshore wealth, all of them! Those "deprivation" stats are all a Chinese hoax, and a vast lamestream media conspiracy!

Is that the five on 98% of the vote in the polls....perhaps think before posting! ;)

This is the "speak your nastier little feels" thread. Thinking to be left at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

alaimacerc wrote: »

This is the "speak your nastier little feels" thread. Thinking to be left at the door.

Your input has zero substance.the reaction from the irish media to this has been startling to me.it's very clear that the average joe feels similar to casey onn traveller issues.look at the thousands supporting him on the journal.ie article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's been a rough week for travellers in the media. It started with Paddy o Gorman outside Portlaoise courthouse interviewing the lad who was coerced, to put chainsaws into his car, and the woman who's husband stole Dogs for a living. Then Peter Casey told the truth. And Joe Duffy had an elderly settled traveller from Killarney on yesterday who's family are making a positive contribution to society, and are being assaulted and intimidated to pay protection money to other travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Having reflected on everything, this is where I now stand

The 6 candidates appear willing to say or do anything to get elected. That is more akin to candidates for the Dail rather then being Presidential. I'm hugely disappointed by that.

I don’t know why you are surprised. Presidential elections are usually more dirty than a general election. They don’t have detailed policies to discuss and make themselves stand out so they go personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

MFPM wrote:

Impoverised? Ever been to Rathkeale? or stood outside a church on Communion day with traveller families in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anecdote I know but spoke to 10 work colleagues this morning in the canteen

7 said Casey is dead right on the traveller issue and they will be voting for him.

1 said MDH was very rattled especially on expenses and travel but will still vote him

2 said they will give freeman their vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

smurgen wrote: »
    Your input has zero substance.the reaction from the irish media to this has been startling to me.it's very clear that the average joe feels similar to casey onn traveller issues.look at the thousands supporting him on the journal.ie article.

If Peter is relying on internet supporters to come out and vote for him he's in for quite a shock.

It's 2018, nearly 2019, do people really still believe internet polls and comment sections still hold credibility?

Will there be more opinion polls before the election?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Anecdote I know but spoke to 10 work colleagues this morning in the canteen

7 said Casey is dead right on the traveller issue and they will be voting for him.

1 said MDH was very rattled especially on expenses and travel but will still vote him

2 said they will give freeman their vote.
    So by that logic casey will go from 2/3% to 70%....
    The competition is for 2nd lets be honest and I think Casey is an outsider even for that, I doubt he will get 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

I am no fan of Casey BUT... he really does have a point. They are by no means an ethnic minority! They are just Irish people who don't want to fall the rule of law or other societal norms.

Glad to see such positive reaction from people in general.

He still has no hope of winning BUT if it opens a debate about this travellers nonsense then GOOD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    It's 2018, nearly 2019, do people really still believe internet polls and comment sections still hold credibility?

Clearly you think it means something or you wouldn't be here. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

dav3 wrote: »
    If Peter is relying on internet supporters to come out and vote for him he's in for quite a shock.

True.
    Sure Hillary had it in the bag, and Brexit hadnt a hope . When people vote in the privacy of a pollling booth, they have an oppurtunity to do as they like, and give voice to an opinion they might hae been reluctant to. Akin to the Bradley effect.

The sentiments being expressed here by "pro Casey "racists" are more representative of the wider community (esp rural), than the outraged trsveller enabling liberals.

He'll get a lift in the polls, probably wont get in.
    Ill vote for him, merely because he expressed a sentiment i share, challenged a sacred cow, and didnt back down, as most politicans would.

The onlty people who think travellers are anything but a scourge on society are those that have very little to do with them. Yes, some are impoverished and need help. But so are members of the general community.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gmisk wrote: »
    So by that logic casey will go from 2/3% to 70%....
    The competition is for 2nd lets be honest and I think Casey is an outsider even for that, I doubt he will get 10%

If he goes from 2% in a poll to getting ~10% in the actual election after this that's a big jump.

Maybe the other leeches (politicians that is) will take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

erica74 wrote: »
    This thread is an example of why people cannot voice opinions anymore - many many people have had bad personal experiences with travellers, that is an indisputable fact, this has caused many many people to have a very poor view of travellers but you can't express that because if you do, you're told that you must be delighted with traveller suicide rates, travellers in education levels, travellers being discriminated against.

These people do nothing to contribute towards society, if they decide they want something, they take it, if it belongs to someone else, tough shit. And they've now been afforded the state protection of special ethnic status to stand behind anytime they're under scrutiny.

Where's Pavee Point and Michael D Higgins and the rest of the permanently offended brigade when travellers are terrorising old people in their homes, robbing from farms, trespassing and demanding payment to leave, wrecking the place at communions, weddings and funerals?
    None of these people want to address the actual problems faced by the traveller community (which are all of their own making), instead, they've afforded them special status making their community even more isolated.

I'll be interested in helping travellers when they're interested in helping themselves.

I fully agree with everything you have said in relation to travellers and traveller culture. But in terms of not been able to say that, it is actually the only opinion I hear from people.

I think the "PC gone mad" is a bit overdone. People can still express their opinions and still do.

I know I'm not a racist, but I have no problem expressing the opinion that there is an awful lot that needs to change in traveller culture, and this change has to come from within the community, no amount of external help or assistance will fix the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

€25 - you're just brimming with confidence!!

WTF are you talking about now? €25 is the maximum bet paddy power will allow on Peter Casey. If I could have bet €100 I would have. I know that might seem like pennies compared to someone who could make €500 in an hour for fly-tipping, or 4k for stealing tools from a shed, or €300 for breeding puppies in coffin boxes, but Ive taxes and bills to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

joe40 wrote: »
    I fully agree with everything you have said in relation to travellers and traveller culture. But in terms of not been able to say that, it is actually the only opinion I hear from people.

I think the "PC gone mad" is a bit overdone. People can still express their opinions and still do.

I know I'm not a racist, but I have no problem expressing the opinion that there is an awful lot that needs to change in traveller culture, and this change has to come from within the community, no amount of external help or assistance will fix the problems.

I'm quite outspoken, both online and in person, I'll often make a remark on Facebook about this story, immigrants getting to stay via some X-Factor sob story, "refugees" who travel through multiple countries to get to Ireland etc. I'll often have it as say my FB status. I'll take loads of abuse for it, from friends and friends of friends and strangers, get called names etc. I've also gotten anonymous threatening PM's.

When I meet my friends they will then say "you're some eejit putting stuff like that online". When I say that its true and what I believe they'll acknowledge it, but caveat it with "well you can't just go around saying it".

Why can't I go around pointing out the truth about certain "sacred cows"?? It's pathetic. No one ever comes at me with anything to refute my statements, it's all name calling and tagging others to come name calling and threatening "How would your boss feel about your opinions" etc.

People can express their opinions, you are right, but they do so with the threat of an online witch hunt against them always hanging in the background.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement