Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Clearly you think it means something or you wouldn't be here. ;-)

If people genuinely believe they held credibility, they would be on them 24/7.

The internet "noise" currently supporting Peter Casey will not be reflected in the amount of votes he gets on the day of the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

He's getting my vote for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

dav3 wrote: »

The internet "noise" currently supporting Peter Casey will not be reflected in the amount of votes he gets on the day of the vote.

That's because the presidential race isn't all about how people feel about travellers.
    If it was and based on the fact that he's the only one on his line on it, he'd romp home.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Had no intention of voting for Casey and couldn't make my mind up about the rest of them, including that sanctimonious MDH (who will probably win anyway), but will now give Casey a 'protest' vote - and I hope others will too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

voting for Casey is the perfect opportunity to register a protest vote as the presidency holds no real power. it would stir the manure and piss the right people off but would be free of danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If people agree with Peter they should vote for him. Remember though on results day, that 90%+ of people don't agree with him and didn't vote for him.

Nobody thinks he's gonna win. Nobody. It's refreshing as fcuk though to hear someone speak their truth. Duffy, Gallagher et al lied through their teeth when speaking on Travellers. Do you really think Gavin Duffy has a nanosecond for any Travellers when the cameras aren't on? That's politicians though, they'll dust off all the cliches and phrases. Was good to hear someone just say aloud what they actually thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Peaked?

Thats a funny one - have you seen the polls

Ah there he is, the one that says settled people go into traveller camps and dump all their rubbish there. You'll have to excuse us if we don't take you all that seriously JoJo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's been a rough week for travellers in the media. It started with Paddy o Gorman outside Portlaoise courthouse interviewing the lad who was coerced, to put chainsaws into his car, and the woman who's husband stole Dogs for a living. Then Peter Casey told the truth. And Joe Duffy had an elderly settled traveller from Killarney on yesterday who's family are making a positive contribution to society, and are being assaulted and intimidated to pay protection money to other travellers.

They really are a scummy portion of society.
    I wasn’t going to bother voting in this election but now I’m making it my business to. It’s actually refreshing to hear someone call a spade a spade.
    Government really needs to crack down on travellers and force them into the 21st century.
    How they can stand by and just watch them contribute nothing to society and treat their women and children is despicable.
    As someone already posted the government needs to crack down on them, make them responsible for their children going to school would be a huge step.
    How all these so called feminists can stand by and not say anything amazes me when there’s a whole portion of society being downtrodden by a group of Neanderthals who are nothing but criminal scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah there he is, the one that says settled people go into traveller camps and dump all their rubbish there. You'll have to excuse us if we don't take you all that seriously JoJo!

Us travellers are allright Boss. Its just the few bad apples (i.e. the whole ****in orchard) that gives us a bad name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Nobody thinks he's gonna win. Nobody.

Half the Casey superfans on this thread keep saying he will. Though I'll grant you that's statistically very close to "nobody". And they're likely just blustering, at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Oops just caught on RTE +1 the interview with K Shanley.

She was NOT happy and didn't give him time to answer the questions she posed. She sounded a bit angry. I suppose she will have no problem with a bunch of caravans outside on her road in the morning so.

Casey kept his cool thankfully. But she was a bit meh.

She must not have been watching SM today. But toeing the RTE line.

I'd love to see her face when a few caravans pull into her driveway and her daughter brings Johnny in for the tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:

On 24/7 ? Did you think before you typed?

When I meet my friends they will then say "you're some eejit putting stuff like that online". When I say that its true and what I believe they'll acknowledge it, but caveat it with "well you can't just go around saying it".

Why can't I go around pointing out the truth about certain "sacred cows"?? It's pathetic. No one ever comes at me with anything to refute my statements, it's all name calling and tagging others to come name calling and threatening "How would your boss feel about your opinions" etc.

In my experiences, there's lots of loudmouths around the place that wouldn't know a "refutation" if it smacked them around the face like the Monty Python Fish-Slapping Dance.

I've no idea -- and very little interest -- in this alleged heroic speaking truth to power that happens on your FB page. Sounds very likely that people are just trying to break it to you gently about the abject nonsense you're talking.

If one can't talk sense into someone, one tries to appeal to their self-interest to at least ease back on the more obvious and toxic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Half the Casey superfans on this thread keep saying he will. Though I'll grant you that's statistically very close to "nobody". And they're likely just blustering, at that.

I havent seen a single poster say he is going to win (now I havent gone through every post)

Most just say that he has got their vote

Who thinks he'll win? Name a few there. Everyone knows it's a dead rubber, they're just delighted to hear someone with a set of cojones speaking out.

Varik wrote: »
    Maybe the other leeches (politicians that is) will take notice.

The parenthetical was definitely necessary. Otherwise "leech" would surely have been taken to mean the likes of Casey, with his utterly shameless and cynic abuse of this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I for one reckon it's worth throwing a 20e note on Casey.

Omackeral wrote:
    Who thinks he'll win? Name a few there. Everyone knows it's a dead rubber, they're just delighted to hear someone with a set of cojones speaking out.

I'm under no illusion about his chances. I wasn't going to vote at all but PC changed my mind yesterday so he's getting my vote. I do like how several individuals are constantly posting how crap his chances are and it's just this forum supporting P.C. I sense some people have been rattled by Casey. Good to observe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In my experiences, there's lots of loudmouths around the place that wouldn't know a "refutation" if it smacked them around the face like the Monty Python Fish-Slapping Dance.

I've no idea -- and very little interest -- in this alleged heroic speaking truth to power that happens on your FB page. Sounds very likely that people are just trying to break it to you gently about the abject nonsense you're talking.

If one can't talk sense into someone, one tries to appeal to their self-interest to at least ease back on the more obvious and toxic nonsense.

Proves my point. Bravo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Ah I see, now he's a "protest vote". Why would there be a protest vote for a presidential election?

Next up, someone talking about the 'lying press' and telling us that 'Ireland is starting to wake up about this issue*'

*this issue can be anything ranging from immigrants, travellers, women, blacks, the poor, the working class. Yet the amount of people who feel passionate about these people and these issues, are never reflected in elections or opinion polls. The only exists online, strange that isn't it?

When the results come in for the election, take a note of how many people didn't vote for Peter Casey because they don't like him or agree with him.

Peter Casey, a voice for a tiny, minuscule number of people in Ireland.

Who thinks he'll win? Name a few there.
    You think I'm going to reread the thread to dig up names? As if. The numerous people alleging they have or would bet the farm at Paddy Power, or using "they said Trump would never win!" as a pseudo-comeback.
    Everyone knows it's a dead rubber, they're just delighted to hear someone with a set of cojones speaking out.

It does indeed sound like a load of complete balls, you're right enough there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I for one reckon it's worth throwing a 20e note on Casey.

Most bookies will have an option to bet on the outcome without Micheal D. He has a good chance of winning that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

doylefe wrote: »
    Most bookies will have an option to bet on the outcome without Micheal D. He has a good chance of winning that at least.

Must have a look at this.

dav3 wrote:
    Ah I see, now he's a "protest vote". Why would there be a protest vote for a presidential election?

Why not, it's safe and it's of no consequence. President has no power . For those of us who were not going to vote it's now a chance not to waste our vote.

Proves my point. Bravo!

It really doesn't. People mocking your ridiculous preening proves that it wasn't ridiculous preening? Don't be giving up the day job for anything requiring a modicum of logical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

I wasn't going to bother voting, but after seeing the collective meltdown over Casey's comments, I'm definitely going to vote for him. We need to be able to openly discuss these issues without a mob jumping down your throat and accusing you of being a racist if you don't toe the line. None of the problems that exist in the traveller community are going to be solved like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Edgware wrote: »
    I'd love to see her face when a few caravans pull into her driveway and her daughter brings Johnny in for the tea

The lefties in RTE are too well insulated from reality.

Anything come of Joe Duffy inviting other people to house a refugee in their spare room?

You think I'm going to reread the thread to dig up names? As if.

You're talking bollox, that's that confirmed so.
    The numerous people alleging they have or would bet the farm at Paddy Power

Are you familiar with the concept of an outside bet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

MFPM wrote: »
    What's to admire - a pampered millionaire business man lording it over a broadly impoverished section of the community - yeah he's fab!

Do you know many other impoverished families who would turn down the offer of a free 1.7m private housing estate because the houses don't have stables?

Ethnic minority my arse:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement