Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    Why were you not going to vote? Are people forgetting there is also a referendum on that day?

Before yesterday it was pointless, Casey has put the cat among the pigeons. The ref is separate to the vote for President and is irrelevant to this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Casey's due at the housing stock so far refused by the travellers down in tipp (lest they're also gifted a half acre per house and stable for their nags too).

Should be an interesting encounter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Comprehension is not your strong suit.

Think you might have miscomprehended there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The man's a bit of a tool, and clearly shouldn't be president, but he's not wrong in anything I have heard him say about travellers.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Before yesterday it was pointless, Casey has put the cat among the pigeons. The ref is separate to the vote for President and is irrelevant to this conversation.

The relevance is that they're on at the same time, and the same place. Electoral apathy is one thing, but you'd have a bit off to have motivated yourself to go to your polling station to vote for one, and then just say "nah, I'm alright" to the other. (Though I don't doubt some people indeed will!)

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote:
    No, it's objectively true. Why would voting for a bad outcome in some way be better? Not sure you quite thought that one through.

No quite sure what you hope to achieve with the attitude to others you are engaged in here.Nothing wrong with my thought process at all.
    Again the presidency is of no consequence. Dustin the turkey would be equally a good candidate.
    Casey is getting my vote for simply being honest about the way certain people get favourable treatment o we and above every other member of society. Higgins as far as I'm concerned based on his 2011 campaign is a liar and unworthy of my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

mfceiling wrote: »
    Peter Casey has opened up a can of worms here and it's now time to listen to the concerns of the settled community without the "racist" nonsense being bandied about.

The race card and also 'Trump' cards are getting played by the media

Trump-lite: Millionaire stirs more controversy to keep pot simmering

Second line into the article

Peter Casey's racist and inflammatory comments about Travellers dominated the first 15 minutes of the second presidential debate.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/trumplite-millionaire-stirs-more-controversy-to-keep-pot-simmering-37433086.html

Inflammatory Yes
    Racist No

Should be an interesting encounter.

According to the Times there will be a peaceful protest by travellers in Thrules at 4 pm. I assume they're all getting off work early.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

elperello wrote: »
    You've got to love elections.

This one bates Banagher, a guy on 2% in the polls heads merrily down a cul de sac spouting about travelers and broadband neither of which have anything to do with the presidency and people rush to follow him.

For someone that doesn't rate his chances you have spent an awful lot of time on this thread arguing about him and trying to dismiss him. :rolleyes:

One would actually think you and the other "intellectuals" are actually worried about him making a point that resonates with ordinary voters i.e. the populist retards and the racists (as one of your fellow posters labelled people that don't vote for or subscribe to your mindset).
    alaimacerc wrote: »
    The angry loud minority confusing themselves for the silent majority again, even as a poll looms that will demonstrate with electoral precision just how wrong there are.

Sunshine you are living in dream world if you think the majority of Irish people don't actually hold similar opinions to the remarks made by Peter Casey.

Hell from experience even those that would fight for traveller rights will, when pushed, admit they would not want a halting site near their home.
    please do not denigrate the office of the President by voting for a lying fascist.

And here we have it, the old reliable label of fascist.

BTW how is he lying ?
    I'm under no illusion about his chances. I wasn't going to vote at all but PC changed my mind yesterday so he's getting my vote. I do like how several individuals are constantly posting how crap his chances are and it's just this forum supporting P.C. I sense some people have been rattled by Casey. Good to observe.

Casey could get votes from supporters of every other party.
    I think he definitely will not finish where the poles had him the other day.

Notice how some of the spanners are continously reminding us how he has only 2% as if to try convince us that a vote for him is wasted.
    He has the chattering classes worried and that is the best thing to have happened in Irish public life in a long time.

Hell one could look at this as a referendum on travellers.
    Let the people have their say.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The race card and also 'Trump' cards are getting played by the media

Trump-lite: Millionaire stirs more controversy to keep pot simmering

Second line into the article

Peter Casey's racist and inflammatory comments about Travellers dominated the first 15 minutes of the second presidential debate.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/trumplite-millionaire-stirs-more-controversy-to-keep-pot-simmering-37433086.html

Inflammatory Yes
    Racist No

No mention of Higgins supposed previous objection to a halting site ...

What a garbage article, these "journalists" are so far removed from reality

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote:
    The relevance is that they're on at the same time, and the same place. Electoral apathy is one thing, but you'd have a bit off to have motivated yourself to go to your polling station to vote for one, and then just say "nah, I'm alright" to the other. (Though I don't doubt some people indeed will!)

I have gone to a polling station before when there was more than one vote but only took one paper. It's not hard to do, very easy in fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Our national debt is 43,464 per person.

If everyone puts 1000 on Casey, and also votes for him, then we all win 50,000.

National debt effectively wiped out with a few grand to spare.

I literally cannot see any flaw in this plan.

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Inflammatory Yes Racist No

It does show the ignorance of people, they clearly have no idea what racism is.

smurgen wrote: »
    Your input has zero substance.the reaction from the irish media to this has been startling to me.it's very clear that the average joe feels similar to casey onn traveller issues.look at the thousands supporting him on the journal.ie article.

Yes, obviously my "input" as to why Casey's wrong on the facts, and advocating bad public policy -- that's also outside of the role of presidency, mind you -- lacks "substance". What gets the likes on this thread are lurid anecdotes about how terrible Travellers are, and thus how denigrating and mistreating them more is obviously the way forward.

Pretty proud to have zero of that sort of "substance", all right.

When all I said and done he has opened up a discussion everyone was afraid to have and I’d say quite a few politicians and the media are taking note of the support he has gotten.

Hopefully it’s the start of more balanced views across the board.

The way I see things, Casey made his own views known, the media jumped on them, expected him to eat humble pie and retract them, but instead he doubled down on them (refreshing to see actually) and they further went to town on these comments.

The only problem the media has now, is that it at least appears (going by numerous social media/online comments and call ins/texts to various tv and radio shows) that Casey has a sizable chunk of the population that appears to agree with him.

By keeping the story on the front pages, they're keeping his momentum going.

Classic case of something not going how they thought it would go.

I'm not sure if I'll even give Casey my vote, but at least he says things how he sees them, and he rightly pointed out that the rest of them were being disingenuous when asked about how they'd feel with a halting site appearing next to their homes.

They appear to be struggling to put the genie back in the bottle. Its made (for me anyway) what was a fairly certain foregone conclusion of a coronation happening into a rather refreshing slug fest.

Said it last night, Higgins private jet to Belfast exposure certainly had him appear flustered.

When's the next head to head debate? What's the odds on that Higgins doesn't appear? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gosh - isn't it wonderful to see how dislike of a particular section of society and some nonsense phrase about 'acting Irish' (what ever the hell that means) appears to be the criteria we are looking for in a President.

A millionaire 'man of the people' who 'speaks for the ordinary voter' and 'says what the majority are thinking' - wonder where we heard all that before?

All I can say is if the lowest common denominator playbook gets this person elected than thank F he won't have an iota of actual power.

erica74 wrote: »
    This thread is an example of why people cannot voice opinions anymore

This thread is so clogged up with opinions that people supposedly "cannot voice" that dynorod have been called to unblock it.

Are you perhaps simply saying the people "cannot voice" a poorly informed and prejudiced opinion... without people telling them it's maybe poorly informed and prejudiced?

Them and their poor feels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Well he's getting my vote, I don't think he'll win but I'm giving it to him as a thank you for having the balls to tell the truth.
    I'm sick of the pandering these fúckers get. I've yet to meet an actual person in real life who has as much as a good word to say about travellers.

I met a "Traveller's Advocate" once in my College.

Absolute knobhead he was, person of colour who lived in South Africa in the 70s and who said "the racism against travellers is worse than apartheid".

Utter bollix.

Bannasidhe wrote:
    A millionaire 'man of the people' who 'speaks for the ordinary voter' and 'says what the majority are thinking' - wonder where we heard all that before?

Which one are you taking about when you say millionaire? Higgins is a millionaire, so is Casey and Duffy. Not sure about Gallagher, Ni Riada and since Freeman had to borrow the money doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Which one are you taking about when you say millionaire? Higgins is a millionaire, so is Casey and Duffy. Not sure about Gallagher, Ni Riada and since Freeman had to borrow the money doubtful.
    I think its safe to say Gallagher is definitely a millionaire.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What this Casey lad may have tapped into is a demographic who never went to a Summer School in their lives,and who could,nt recognize a Seamus Heaney pome if it were to be writ on the back of their hands....

That's a pretty large demographic, all right.

The demographic that have... let's say a range of negative views on Travellers is pretty big, too.

The question is, just how many people are so aggressively proud of themselves for such things, that they want them to be represented in the likes of Peter Casey, as if they were the highest values of the country?

Bit fewer, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Gosh - isn't it wonderful to see how dislike of a particular section of society and some nonsense phrase about 'acting Irish' (what ever the hell that means) appears to be the criteria we are looking for in a President.

All I can say is if the lowest common denominator playbook gets this person elected than thank F he won't have an iota of actual power.

He won't get elected, and I don't expect anyone on here realistically expects him to. But what he said has resonated with many many people.

What is wrong with identifying a project which cost 1.7million and is still lying idle because some 'want more'?

What is wrong with people, in the midst of the worst housing crisis being told you'll get one offer and then down the list ye go?

And I know as Pres, Casey can't fix or resolve the above, however, it might just make the Govt sit up and take notice with all the attention this story is getting.

gmisk wrote:
    I think its safe to say Gallagher is definitely a millionaire.

So that's four of them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

doylefe wrote: »

That's the most sensible comment on this thread :o:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

doylefe wrote: »

We'd probably be made bail out the bookies! :D

This was brought up last night, it appeared from what was being said, that only the 2 x females weren't millionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Babooshka wrote: »
    That's the most sensible comment on this thread :o:pac::pac:
    But then we would have to probably bailout Paddy Power........the circle continues!

alaimacerc wrote:
    The question is, just how many people are so aggressively proud of themselves for such things, that they want them to be represented in the likes of Peter Casey, as if they were the highest values of the country?

Higgins was happy to describe Castro as one of the greats, yet anyone that knows history knows Castro was a bit of a cnut. Wouldn't see an issue with Casey in the gig tbh. Zero power to speak of and no influence, plus unlikely to take the government jet to Kerry for a poetry reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Philosophy Zombie

This Casey fellow has at least saved the presidential election from becoming a complete snoozefest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Can we put a poll up on who would want a halting site beside them ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement