Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Bannasidhe wrote:
    A presidential candidate singled out a hated minority group in Irish society and is being lauded as 'plain speaking', 'saying what the majority thinks' - he played the hate card and folks are tripping over themselves to praise him.

Actually I think what Casey wants is everyone to be treated the same. No specially exemptions, on behaviour or benefits from society. Genuinely I think he has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You are aware surely that "prejudice" is defined as "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience"

The wording highlighted are why hatred for travellers is NOT based on prejudice.

Dress it up with semantics all you like.
    If you want a President of the Irish Republic who is there because he singled out a particular section of Irish society then off you go.

Vote Casey if you hate Travelers!
    A President for the Irish People we approve of!

Bannasidhe wrote:
    Vote Casey if you hate Travelers! A President for the Irish People we approve of!

What an absolutely bs comment. Casey even last night lauded the divirsity in Irish society and said everyone should be equal. The outraged want everyone equal but like Animal Farm by Orwell they are happy to see some more equal than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Any traveller caught burglaring old people should be electronically tagged and their movements monitored by the Gardai.

The ones that get caught have very long criminal records and locking them up for a couple of years is no deterrent.

They caught one gang in Clonmel after they terrorised a young couple and their three little girls and the rural burglaries did seem to cease once this particular gang was locked up. I hope they never get out. IMagine being woken in the middle of the night by these monsters.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

tretorn wrote: »
    WAs there ever an inquest into the fire at the Ballyogan Halting Site, it claimed the lives of very young children.

I would like to know how the fire started, does anyone know.

The Gardai cant do a thing about the travellers, if they do Pavee Point etc will be up on their soapbox shouting about racism.

What really annoys me is Pavee point never have any criticism to make of members of their community who are caught red handed beating up old people in their homes. These same spokespeople are now demanding PC stand down because he spoke the truth, it would make you sick.

There was an inquest into it but nothing was found, and it was a disgrace that its the case, as it seems to be very dubious that the road is now full of houses with 1 million price tags and those people and their children have been tossed to the side, no matter what you say about the travelling community, that is a complete sham and should be brought before a European court as there are a lot of unanswered questions.

I get sick to the stomach every time I pass that site, and the injustices that have gone on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If you want a President of the Irish Republic who is there because he singled out a particular section of Irish society then off you go.

This is just hysterical spin on what was said, he didn't single them out, he said they shouldn't be singled out from anyone else, people are so thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Actually I think what Casey wants is everyone to be treated the same. No specially exemptions, on behaviour or benefits from society. Genuinely I think he has a point.

So he mentioned all those high earners who can afford accounts to find tax loopholes to avoid paying tax too did he?
    He vowed to discuss situations were high ranking Gardai can be found to have have been less than exemplary in the performance of their duties but can still retire on full pensions?

Everyone isn't treated the same. Many people enjoy special exemptions. Casey referenced one group. ONE. The same group who just happen to be the most hated in Irish society.

That is pandering to prejudice.

I'm all for equality. I am absolutely in favour of every Irish citizen being treated equally - so that includes speaking out when I see ONE group being singled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Any traveller caught burglaring old people should be electronically tagged and their movements monitored by the Gardai.

The ones that get caught have very long criminal records and locking them up for a couple of years is no deterrent.

How about just locking them up longer? If that doesn't help just lock them up?

I see no reason whatsoever that we need to keep letting people with what.....50/60/80/100+ convictions be part of this society.

Yes I understand you can get multiple convictions for the same crime and I'm certainly not advocating a 3 strikes you're out system. But I think it's probably safe to assume that once you've accumulated 80 or more convictions you're probably not really getting the message.

Either try to rehabilitate these people properly, or just lock them up and throw away the key, the current way of doing things is just ludicrous.

What would you bring before a European Court though.

There must be some evidence of how the fire started.

The Gardai sent a file to the DPP but she recommended no prosceutions.

Does anyone know why the file was sent to the DPP.

Have you a link to the inquest findings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

"Semantics" i.e. you accuse people of something not true ?

Wind your neck in eh ?

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote:
    I'm all for equality. I am absolutely in favour of every Irish citizen being treated equally - so that includes speaking out when I see ONE group being singled out.

The group singled out are the ones who don't like equal treatment, ie no you can't have a free stable to go with your free house. Free transport to bring their kids to scholl, something I am personally familiar with.
    So equality for all in the eyes of the state and the law is something which I believe is good. Special interest groups and pandering to same whip up resentment.
    Not addressing the rest of your comment as it's pure whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Everyone isn't treated the same. Many people enjoy special exemptions. Casey referenced one group. ONE. The same group who just happen to be the most hated in Irish society.

You make it seem like he never opened his mouth before.

He has brought up neutrality and NATO, feminism and Jews in the White House

Some would consider those more important topics and controversial than 0.6% of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

WAs there ever an inquest into the fire at the Ballyogan Halting Site, it claimed the lives of very young children.

I would like to know how the fire started, does anyone know.

It was suspected to be from an electric fire. Definately electricial in origin.
    If I recall there were extra mobile homes slotted in between the originally placed ones, and these were hooked up with extension leads to the ESB of the others.
    Some talk at the time about illegal hookup to the mains as well after tgey were cut off for non payment.
    Drone footage at the time on TV showed mountains of rubbish built up behind the mobiles, and of course there was no longer the minimun spaces between the units as decreed by fire prevention regulations.

So he mentioned all those high earners who can afford accounts to find tax loopholes to avoid paying tax too did he?
    He vowed to discuss situations were high ranking Gardai can be found to have have been less than exemplary in the performance of their duties but can still retire on full pensions?

There is nothing illegal about high earners using legal methods to avoid paying tax to subsidise the likes of Margaret Connors and her huge family. The high earners work very long hours and they want to use their earning to help their children, they are already paying huge sums in tax so Margaret Connors can have seven children and her children can have seven children each and start their families at seventeen. Margaret Cash could end up with seventy grandchildren and high earner could end up with no children because of the amount of time devoted to a career.

Why shouldnt Gardai get their pension entitlements, they are what stands between us all and the travelling burglary gangs. It is the Gardai who gather evidence against travellers and put their lives on the line going into halting sites to search for stolen goods. Gardai have paid into their pensions all their working lives, they havent spent their lives leeching off the taxpayer.

They caught one gang in Clonmel after they terrorised a young couple and their three little girls and the rural burglaries did seem to cease once this particular gang was locked up. I hope they never get out. IMagine being woken in the middle of the night by these monsters.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1001/731682-tipperary-burglary-sentence/

Scum, pure and simple. Protected ethnic minority me hole.

Actually, they will get out before they are forty.

All of these lowlife got the same access to education as the rest of us so no excuse for getting a job.

If they cant get employment then they make do with whatever State benefits they have to live on.

They dont subsidise their income by terrorising vulnerable hard working people in their homes. They destroyed this family.

They should never get out but seeing as its not possible to lock them up forever they should be tagged for the rest of their miserable lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did he though?

I thought he was asked about them in the middle of an interview and gave his opinion, which he has subsequently stood over.

Thats not the same as singling someone or a group of people out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Casey for president.

Looking forward to the opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is nothing illegal about high earners using legal methods to avoid paying tax to subsidise the likes of Margaret Connors and her huge family. The high earners work very long hours and they want to use their earning to help their children, they are already paying huge sums in tax so Margaret Connors can have seven children and her children can have seven children each and start their families at seventeen. Margaret Cash could end up with seventy grandchildren and high earner could end up with no children because of the amount of time devoted to a career.

Why shouldnt Gardai get their pension entitlements, they are what stands between us all and the travelling burglary gangs. It is the Gardai who gather evidence against travellers and put their lives on the line going into halting sites to search for stolen goods. Gardai have paid into their pensions all their working lives, they havent spent their lives leeching off the taxpayer.
    I agree with what your are saying...but one question...who is Margaret Connors?

Why werent the general public asked whether minority status should be bestowed on travellers.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I agree with what your are saying...but one question...who is Margaret Connors?

Sorry, Margaret Cash, the one with the tribe of children screaming about her rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why werent the general public asked whether minority status should be bestowed on travellers.

Because Enda knew what the answer would be.
    Not rocket science.

Casey for president.

Looking forward to the opinion polls.

When are the next opinion polls out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Omackeral wrote: »
    NO YOU DO, YOU'RE ONE OF THE SUPERFANS!!!!!!!

Well, I suppose I did get that "Casey for President" tattoo now that you mention it:D

Go on, I bet it won't take you too many guesses to get it!

That bananarama poster going on about traveller rights is part of the reason we have to suffer Margaret Cash.

The truth also is a lot of homeless people are homeless because they were evicted because of anti social behaviour.

The media never cover this angle either, can we have the housing history of the next family pictured in the nissan micra, how many properties had they been evicted from because of their effect on their neighbours.

The charity sector dont want this angle mentioned because they want to continue to earn a living feeding off the homeless crisis. I dont have a problem with Gardai getting their pension entitlements but I do have a huge problem with how much money is being transferred by the Government to charities dealing with the homeless. There are more people employed in these charities than the actual homeless and this is a ridiculous situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It was suspected to be from an electric fire. Definately electricial in origin.
    If I recall there were extra mobile homes slotted in between the originally placed ones, and these were hooked up with extension leads to the ESB of the others.
    Some talk at the time about illegal hookup to the mains as well after tgey were cut off for non payment.
    Drone footage at the time on TV showed mountains of rubbish built up behind the mobiles, and of course there was no longer the minimun spaces between the units as decreed by fire prevention regulations.

I also read of an issue with the nearest fire hydrant having been cut off as it had been persistently misused by somebody washing cars, possibly as a business venture.

The Council is being sued by relatives of the deceased.
    The DPP has decided to take no prosecutions against any party.

While I don't know the cause of the fire I am familiar with other halting sites around the country which often experience tampering of electrical infrastructure, usually at the base of lamp standards, to provide jerry-rigged electricity to unsanctioned visiting caravans that can dangerously overcrowd the site.

The local authorities which provide the site and are unable to prevent them from being ruined by this kind of misuse are routinely sued by travellers who allege injuries as a result of the hazards created by such misuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The local authorities which provide the site and are unable to prevent them from being ruined by this kind of misuse are routinely sued by travellers who allege injuries as a result of the hazards created by such misuse.

It is absolutely mind boggling that it is possible to sue for something like that...

They were elected to represent us. They spoke for the general public.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I also read of an issue with the nearest fire hydrant having been cut off as it had been persistently misused by somebody washing cars, possibly as a business venture.

The Council is being sued by relatives of the deceased.
    The DPP has decided to take no prosecutions against any party.

While I don't know the cause of the fire I am familiar with other halting sites around the country which often experience tampering of electrical infrastructure, usually at the base of lamp standards, to provide jerry-rigged electricity to unsanctioned visiting caravans that can dangerously overcrowd the site.

A pal had the misfortune to buy near a halting site and she said the travellers have illegally linked up to electricity paid for buy the local creche. They dump rubbish everywhere and they intimidate the local residents. They have the local supervalu plagued with constantly trying to steal alcohol, they brazenly walk in as if genuine customers, use the children to distract the security guards and then load up trolleys with alcohol and just walk out the door.

• Advertisement

They were elected to represent us. They spoke got the general public.

Then why did we need the Nice treaty votes; equal marriage and 8th referenda and the forthcoming blasphemy one ?

We weren't asked because they knew we'd tell them to f**k right off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement