Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Comments

Then why did we need the Nice treaty votes; equal marriage and 8th referenda and the forthcoming blasphemy one ?

We weren't asked because they knew we'd tell them to f**k right off.

Weren't they all to change the constitution? (maybe not the nice treaty)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah they were in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Travellers only want to participate in society on their terms.
    Well tough sh1t.
    It doesn't work like that.

Either play by the rules or don't play at all.

That's the reason they are treated as outcasts.

They think they are above the law and the terms and conditions of a fair society.

Then they complain about equality??
    Where's the equality in me working 45 hours a week,paying taxes and bills whilst they get freebies and houses provided at my expense??

It's ludicrous. Well done Peter Casey for publicly igniting a spark in the decent people's belly.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Travellers only want to participate in society on their terms.
    Well tough sh1t.
    It doesn't work like that.

Either play by the rules or don't play at all.

That's the reason they are treated as outcasts.

They think they are above the law and the terms and conditions of a fair society.

Then they complain about equality??
    Where's the equality in me working 45 hours a week,paying taxes and bills whilst they get freebies and houses provided at my expense??

It's ludicrous. Well done Peter Casey for publicly igniting a spark in the decent people's belly.

Peter has ignited a spark. What is the solution to all this then?

Peter has ignited a spark. What is the solution to all this then?

It's practically a given that MDH is a shoe in for the Aras. Casey won't change that.

What he might well change is the tone of the lefty PC brigade,especially in the media,referring to travellers with rose tinted glasses as if they are some sacred ancient tribe of nomads.

They are not. They are citizens of this country who provide zero but ask for everything.
    Take take take (literally).
    Ethnic minority they scream,whilst caught red handed stealing or intimidating the elderly.

It's an unsustainable farce and absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i hope there's a good turnout for the Tipp protest to show this bigot what the people think of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Uncharted wrote: »
    It's practically a given that MDH is a shoe in for the Aras. Casey won't change that.

What he might well change is the tone of the lefty PC brigade,especially in the media,referring to travellers with rose tinted glasses as if they are some sacred ancient tribe of nomads.

They are not. They are citizens of this country who provide zero but ask for everything.
    Take take take (literally).
    Ethnic minority they scream,whilst caught red handed stealing or intimidating the elderly.

It's an unsustainable farce and absolutely ridiculous.

Will he nuts...they will just double down on their views.

Well he nuts...they will just double down on their views.

More than likely. As will the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

i hope there's a good turnout for the Tipp protest to show this bigot what the people think of him.

I imagine there will be - it's not like they've jobs to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

dense wrote: »
    The lefties in RTE are too well insulated from reality.

Anything come of Joe Duffy inviting other people to house a refugee in their spare room?

Plenty of volunteers to take in Syrian refugees but none queuing up to offer Kathleen Cash the use of their holiday home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It is really healthy that the traveller culture and its relationship to our republic is now finally being discussed openly.

I don't like sacred cows. Everything should be open to challenge.

If your case is solid, there is no fear of inspection and no need to shout down or personalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Well he nuts...they will just double down on their views.

Yeah exactly take this for example

He had brought up the situation in Thurles, where a Traveller family reportedly refused to move into six houses, specially built for them at a cost of €1.7m, until stables were added. Mr Casey may have missed a follow-up story in which the McCarthys said they didn't expect stables but that a promise had been made that grazing land would be made available.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/comment-many-share-caseys-simplistic-views-on-travellers-but-reality-is-far-more-complex-37432816.html

Long way from the McCarthys said originally

However, the Travellers living across the road say they will not be occupying them unless two stables and at least half an acre of land are included behind each dwelling for their horses.

They were to be built with a half-acre behind each house, with two stables,” Philip McCarthy, one of the residents of the site at Cabragh Bridge, said at the weekend. “They [Tipperary County Council] changed it to a group project, like a mini-housing estate. The agreement was two stables and a half an acre for the horses, but they never came up with that.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/horse-dispute-delays-travellers-move-to-new-houses-874178.html

The McCarthys specifically mentioned stables

When it was was put to him that Pavee Point said the family did not want the council to give it the land, rather to rent it,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/pavee-point-let-down-travelling-community-says-casey-1.3666390

Big change from They were to be built with a half-acre behind each house, with two stables to renting the extra land

Me think the media and the travellers in question are trying to change the narrative as they have turned down €1.7 million in houses and it looks terrible

Casey is right to call them out on their BS

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah exactly take this for example

He had brought up the situation in Thurles, where a Traveller family reportedly refused to move into six houses, specially built for them at a cost of €1.7m, until stables were added. Mr Casey may have missed a follow-up story in which the McCarthys said they didn't expect stables but that a promise had been made that grazing land would be made available.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/comment-many-share-caseys-simplistic-views-on-travellers-but-reality-is-far-more-complex-37432816.html

Long way from the McCarthys said originally

However, the Travellers living across the road say they will not be occupying them unless two stables and at least half an acre of land are included behind each dwelling for their horses.

They were to be built with a half-acre behind each house, with two stables,” Philip McCarthy, one of the residents of the site at Cabragh Bridge, said at the weekend. “They [Tipperary County Council] changed it to a group project, like a mini-housing estate. The agreement was two stables and a half an acre for the horses, but they never came up with that.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/horse-dispute-delays-travellers-move-to-new-houses-874178.html

The McCarthys specifically mentioned stables

When it was was put to him that Pavee Point said the family did not want the council to give it the land, rather to rent it,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/pavee-point-let-down-travelling-community-says-casey-1.3666390

Big change from They were to be built with a half-acre behind each house, with two stables to renting the extra land

Me think the media and the travellers in question are trying to change the narrative as they have turned down €1.7 million in houses and it looks terrible

Casey is right to call them out on their BS

Hilarious line from that first report:
    There are also barristers, barmen, models, teachers, athletes, entertainers, gardaí and soldiers, as well as those successfully running legitimate, tax-compliant business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I’m voting for him. Not only is he speaking his mind but he’s telling the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And the Circuit Court sittings aren't on in Thurles untill the 30th of the month....

the travellers are a recognised ethnic minority and as such are deserving of the protection of the law just like any other minority.
    the hatred, the bigotry and outright racism expressed here is totally disgraceful.
    if you spoke about any other ethnic minority like this you would be arrested for incitement of hatred.

the Irish were treated exactly like this in the 18th century. we were considered violent, ugly, uneducated, thieving, dirty, filthy pig dwelling peasants and now we are treating our own in the same disgusting fashion.

what short memories we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Does it clash with dole day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

tretorn wrote: »
    Why werent the general public asked whether minority status should be bestowed on travellers.
    Then why did we need the Nice treaty votes; equal marriage and 8th referenda and the forthcoming blasphemy one ?

We weren't asked because they knew we'd tell them to f**k right off.

We weren't asked because we literally only ever have referendums on issues that require amendments to the constitution. Nice, Lisbon, equal marriage, abortion, blasphemy, etc, all required constitutional change. Official recognition of the fact that the travelling community meet the United Nations' criteria for a distinct ethnic group didn't require any such change. It didn't even require new legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

I wasn't going to vote in this farce of an election. Switched channels every time one of these chancers came on spouting their bs. I never heard of Peter Casey until this controversy. I know he won't win but I'll make a point of getting off my ass to vote for him now. He's the only one brave enough to point at the Emperor and say he has no clothes on. For that alone he gets my support.

the travellers are a recognised ethnic minority and as such are deserving of the protection of the law just like any other minority.
    the hatred, the bigotry and outright racism expressed here is totally disgraceful.
    if you spoke about any other ethnic minority like this you would be arrested for incitement of hatred.

the Irish were treated exactly like this in the 18th century. we were considered violent, ugly, uneducated, thieving, dirty, filthy pig dwelling peasants and now we are treating our own in the same disgusting fashion.

I don't know how old you are but whilst I remember the late 1970s, the late 1770s is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It's not racism, it's ethnic criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

On a completely non-partisan note, is there anything at all to be said for an After Hours presidential poll?

It's not racism, it's ethnic criticism entirely justified commentary based in fact and experience

Close tho.

It's not racism, it's ethnic criticism.

sure the Irish aren't a race. just an ethnic minority.

kettle, pot blah blah blah!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Methinks you have no idea what 'bigot' means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

the travellers are a recognised ethnic minority and as such are deserving of the protection of the law just like any other minority. the hatred, the bigotry and outright racism expressed here is totally disgraceful. if you spoke about any other ethnic minority like this you would be arrested for incitement of hatred.

It's not ' racism' you demean the term by your ignorance of its meaning. Get a dictionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Racism me hole, I know where your jumper is the travellers stole it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Vote Peter Casey for President and tell all your friends and family to get behind the sentiment of his message, and give him your vote. Send the message.

Tell the truth, face down the hard questions and seek a better way of things.

I am really really impressed that he didn't row back or go all mealy mouthed - and retract what he said or some other such rubbish - in order to get back on side with the hardliners.
    Well done Peter Casey!

Hopefully if he gets enough of a share of the vote, it will force a conversation in the media and society about the validity of his statements.

I don't know how old you are but whilst I remember the late 1970s, the late 1770s is beyond me.

surprise, surprise i didn't expect history to be your strong suit.

and actually, those caricatures of the irish were very accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Bloody Brits trying to give us all 300K worth of houses for free in the 18th century. Yes, how the Irish were treated by the British state in the 1770s is exactly like how the Irish state treats travellers in the 21st century.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement