Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

payday power is getting scared
    casey down to 100/1 now:D

It’s a tough one.

On the one hand, they don’t do themselves any favors with the culture of “get away with whatever you can”.

On the other, they’d get pogrommed if people had heir way, which would be a blight in and of itself far worse than anything any traveller would do.

On Casey’s proposal to remove the status for discrimination, obviously not. Doesn’t matter if it’s deserved or not, the act of denying/allowing because of what they are is wrong. To deny them the right to self determine as Traveller is to become the Brits who denied us the right to speak our own language & call ourselves Irish.

We didn’t fight off the Brits to become the Brits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I do find it unfortunate that a presidential candidate feels he has to engage in guttersnipe politics to garner votes purely from controversy.
    Not because he "raises issues" (no he doesn't), but because he does so to garner a few cheap votes on something that he has no power or intention to do fcuk all about it. This is notwithstanding all the issues aurrounding travellers in Ireland, because in the context of his presidency that is of absolutely zero relevance.
    Does he appoach the issue in a constructive manner? No
    Does he offer solutions? No
    Will any of this help or change the situation for the better? No
    What good is it then?
    Well, absolutely bugger all. If he gets elected absolutely nothing good or positive will come of it.
    I'm sure if you gave him a platform and asked him to lay out his policies and solutions, he would mumble and stutter some general platitudes but offer absolutely nothing of substance.
    So while his "strong man banging the table" approach will land well with the usual "everything's shoite" brigade down the pub, in real terms anyone with more wit than a doorstop will recognise it for the empty bluster and rat-catching it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

When asked would any of them have a problem if travellers moved next them lol

Liars the lot!

Really showed them for what they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

It’s a tough one.

On the one hand, they don’t do themselves any favors with the culture of “get away with whatever you can”.

On the other, they’d get pogrommed if people had heir way, which would be a blight in and of itself far worse than anything any traveller would do.

On Casey’s proposal to remove the status for discrimination, obviously not. Doesn’t matter if it’s deserved or not, the act of denying/allowing because of what they are is wrong. To deny them the right to self determine as Traveller is to become the Brits who denied us the right to speak our own language & call ourselves Irish.

reading some of the hate-filled, bigoted comments on here ...... are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It’s a tough one.

Casey has said they shouldn't be seen as an ethnic minority not to remove the status for discrimination

It would have nothing to do with any Traveller being able to self determine as a traveller

When asked would any of them have a problem if travellers moved next them lol

Liars the lot!

Really showed them for what they are

i think I'd rather travellers next door than the likes of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I hear housing is very cheap beside halting sites, when are you moving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

They would be disappointed. If god forbid Michael D should die in office there would not be a public holiday/day of mourning (call it what you want). Erskine Childers died in office back in 1974 and as far as I know there was no public holiday then.

I remember standing at the side of the road where we lived in Shankill, watching his funeral cortege pass by on its way to Wicklow.

I do find it unfortunate that a presidential candidate feels he has to engage in guttersnipe politics to garner votes purely from controversy.
    Not because he "raises issues" (no he doesn't), but because he does so to garner a few cheap votes on something that he has no power or intention to do fcuk all about it. This is notwithstanding all the issues aurrounding travellers in Ireland, because in the context of his presidency that is of absolutely zero relevance.
    Does he appoach the issue in a constructive manner? No
    Does he offer solutions? No
    Will any of this help or change the situation for the better? No
    What good is it then?
    Well, absolutely bugger all. If he gets elected absolutely nothing good or positive will come of it.
    I'm sure if you gave him a platform and asked him to lay out his policies and solutions, he would mumble and stutter some general platitudes but offer absolutely nothing of substance.
    So while his "strong man banging the table" approach will land well with the usual "everything's shoite" brigade down the pub, in real terms anyone with more wit than a doorstop will recognise it for the empty bluster and rat-catching it is.

couldn't agree more.
    if he was in 1930s Germany he would be picking on Jews, 1950s Alabama it would be Blacks. a disgusting attempt at self-promotion. smacks of desperation.

but the AH rabble have taken the bait.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I remember standing at the side of the road where we lived in Shankill, watching his funeral cortege pass by on its way to Wicklow.

Yes, he did have a state funeral as have most former Presidents and Taoisigh. I was a schoolboy back then and, as far as I remember, workplaces, schools etc. were all open as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You aren’t slandering an entire group of people on the actions of the few are you?? The lack of self awareness is phenomenal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Travellers are not a different race they are the same race as i am an irish citizen therefore you cant call the current discussion racism but you can call it marginalism. They are living in the margins and breaking all the rules and we dislike their behaviour.

there a small video of a dog on the independent.ie today he was stolen in June and found 120km away near Ballinasloe in october just after the big traveller cruelty fair. 3 little girls owned this dog and a kind citizen picked him up on the street as he was emaciated and starving and covered in mange .
    A family dog much loved and part of a civilised family. stolen abused obviously not sold at the thieves fair and then abandoned on the streets of Balinasloe. Look at the video and wonder why we hate them - cruel heartless psychopaths, no humanity or empathy for creatures or humans. They live like they are an undiscovered tribe in the amazon yet this is the 21st century and they have not evolved. Simple as that they have not evolved they are still closer to the apes than the rest of us.

couldn't agree more.
    if he was in 1930s Germany he would be picking on Jews, 1950s Alabama it would be Blacks. a disgusting attempt at self-promotion. smacks of desperation.

By “picking on” do you mean answering a question he was asked??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

You aren’t slandering an entire group of people on the actions of the few are you?? The lack of self awareness is phenomenal.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

the travellers are a recognised ethnic minority and as such are deserving of the protection of the law just like any other minority.

Modern Ireland is a multifaceted society with citizens from nearly every part of the globe. There is not one other group who behaves towards accepted society like travellers, there is not one other group who will deny their children the education that is freely available to them and not one other group with such a disproportionate representation in our prisons.

What are you talking about?

Slandering “the Brits”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Pass on your address to Pavee Point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Pass on your address to Pavee Point

There was a phrase used in this thread "unofficial halting site".

Am I right this means "camped where the f**k they wanted" ?

Travellers are not a different race they are the same race as i am an irish citizen therefore you cant call the current discussion racism but you can call it marginalism. They are living in the margins and breaking all the rules and we dislike their behaviour.

there a small video of a dog on the independent.ie today he was stolen in June and found 120km away near Ballinasloe in october just after the big traveller cruelty fair. 3 little girls owned this dog and a kind citizen picked him up on the street as he was emaciated and starving and covered in mange .
    A family dog much loved and part of a civilised family. stolen abused obviously not sold at the thieves fair and then abandoned on the streets of Balinasloe. Look at the video and wonder why we hate them - cruel heartless psychopaths, no humanity or empathy for creatures or humans. They live like they are an undiscovered tribe in the amazon yet this is the 21st century and they have not evolved. Simple as that they have not evolved they are still closer to the apes than the rest of us.

go to any crappy housing estate on the north or west of dublin and you'll see apalling animal creulty on an almost daily basis.
    irish people do not have a very good reputation when it comes to animal cruelty you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wait until you do - you'll soon change your tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

no humanity or empathy for creatures or humans.

they have not evolved they are still closer to the apes than the rest of us.

:rolleyes:

Seriously - How is this kind of hate-speech tolerated on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't know about enough about traveller history or culture to have an opinion on the designation as "Ethnic minority"

(When I say culture I mean "actual culture", not nonsense such as calling each other out for fights on youtube)

Maybe the Ethnic minority status is warranted and should be protected.

There are however also very serious issues surrounding behaviour which is systemic within the traveller culture. Tax avoidance, unwillingness to engage in the labour market, Misogyny, domestic violence to name a few.

These can be found in all aspects of society but disproportionately so within the traveller community

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

couldn't agree more.

Having had a look back at your previous posts I can't quite reconcile your distain for the apparent treatment of travellers in this country with your very pro-Israel stance in their treatment of Palestinians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

go to any crappy housing estate on the north or west of dublin and you'll see apalling animal creulty on an almost daily basis.

yes thats true but the Balinasloe horse cruelty fair and the missing dog tells me it sthe traveller thieves at work do you like them or something are you maybe a settled one half one diluted blood maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Slandering “the Brits”

Ah, so talking sh1te in other words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

He won't , keyboard warrior who would soil his pants if confronted by members of said ethnic minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I invite everyone who disagrees with Mr Caseys comments and with the majority of posters on boards.ie to come to my hometown of Thurles for a week and see what we have to put up with in this town. The thefts of bicycles, lawnmowers, mobile phones, burglaries, vandalism, racism against Muslims and POC, threats, intimidation, illegal dumping, animal cruelty and DRUG DEALING.

The McCarthy family mentioned would be one of the quietest and more respectable traveller families in the town to be fair to them. It’s mostly the so called “settled” families housed by the former town council involved in the above. Rhymes with Kylie.

Btw if your from the town I’m sure you’ve heard that 3 landowners (one a very well known businessman in the courts) out that way in Cabra/Cabragh/Ballycuranne area were apparently notified last Friday of a potential CPO of up to 4acres agricultural land. They’ve (TCC) knuckled under by the looks of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Posters name will change to "Where's me trailer/dag/jewellery ?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leicester also had 10 months to lose it. They had to gain more points than every one else after 38 matches regardless of the timeframe.

I guess Michael d is starting with a 60 point lead too to complete the analogy. There isn't enough time for Handsome Pete

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement