Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

In the case of the Thurles travellers, has it been established:

Are the horses microchipped, as per the law?
    Are the horses passported, as per the law?
    Why are they keeping them? I saw one report where they claim they don't go sulky racing but I also saw picture of the horses, and they look like trotters. They also have names that would indicate they are being raced.

I don't believe that horses are a part of traveller culture anymore than they are part of settled culture. We all used horses before mechanisation. To allow the keeping of living creatures as some sort of cultural right, when the people involved do not have the resources to keep them properly, is absolutely abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

20 quid lying in my PP online account.

15 euro on him as a "bet without MDH" @ 16-1
    5E on him to become president @ 100-1.

Sure it's a bit of craic and worth a punt. :)

He won’t win so put it all on him getting runner up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Calhoun wrote: »
    No confusion at all, they got caught out being entitled greedy ****s and have now changed the tune. Its not the councils responsibility to source land for their horses.

They should look into that themselves like everyone else would have to and you know actually pay for it?

Yes there is confusion.
    That bastion of 'accurate reporting' the Indo,:) claims they demanded 'stables' and in the Times article direct quotes from the families themselves say they didn't. They were assured of land for their horses.
    You will also notice they have no problem with these houses being given to homeless people (they are 'very happy were they are') if the land they 'were assured' could be provided can't be provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

NIMAN wrote: »
    Martin Collins was asked by Miriam tonight about why travellers are 30x more likely to be in prison than settled people.

His answer? It's because of the racist government.

**** off will ye! It's because you're a bunch of criminals. Nothing else.

He also said that the issue of travellers education needs looked at.

Does it Martin? You do know every traveller has exactly the same access to education as my children? But if their parents don't send them, nothing the government can do about that.
    84e7f5356cdb7221078365ca79fdc660dd9e3d29a0e4cf6725f26c7ffb239bb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bb12 wrote: »
    i live in a quiet rural area of dublin. years ago the council built a house for an old neighbour on about a half acre. when he died, they moved in the first traveller family. the whole area was up in arms and actually started a petition to the council to stop them moving in. my family refused to sign it as we figured live and let live.

anyhow since they settled in over the years, they've moved in about 10 mobile homes onto the site so that it's now a mini halting site. they fly up and down the rural country road in their northern reg vans and cars and are intimidating to all other road users on the narrow lane. rubbish everywhere. one of my dogs was stolen by their cohorts and was returned only after a high "ransom" was paid. my life and my animals lives have been threatened by them. their dogs have been responsible for lots of sheep attacks and kills in the area. one local farmer left their shot alsatian on the roadside outside their house and they happily left it there rotting for 2 weeks before i called the council to have it removed.

summer long weekends are bad when the drinking parties start. the worst was last May when a party descended into chaos around midnight and the screaming (including childrens) started. i think someone got stabbed that night. i live half mile away from them and heard it clear as day and had to call the guards cos i thought somebody would be killed. everything went quiet when the guards turned up. incidentally an old woman who lived here all her life in a house beside them died that night. sad to think her last hours were spent listening to them killing each other.

moral of the story, if i could go back in time i would absolutely sign the petition against them moving in in the first place.

Does not pay to be pragmatic. Look at the history of these people. I am sorry you had to endure this.

I said pages ago maybe not on this thread but anyway, if those Tipp Travellers eventually move in, the horses will be in the house and the people will live in mobiles/caravans on the grazing land. :pac:

Some will denigrate me, but the truth is out there for this kind of lark.

• Advertisement

i hear there's a CPO on 4 acres in Thurles and they are trying to block it in the courts the county council are caving into the demand for the acres i hope they will micro chip the horses and have them passported like i have to do with my horse in exchange for the land at least try to put some manners on them.
    tbh honest the tipp coco should just buy the land and get the news off the headlines, and build that stable
    and make mexico pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Tipp Co Co will cave to their demands. I guarantee it.

It's a disgraceful situation.

I don't see it happening because if they do then everybody would be entitled to free land and stables.

Did you know that when a traveller is getting bail they turn up with cash and hand it in covered in urine ask the court clerks about that one . they show nothing but contempt to the people who pay their benefits and go to work each and every day .

wow this is the most outlandish claim on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes there is confusion.
    That bastion of 'accurate reporting' the Indo,:) claims they demanded 'stables' and in the Times article direct quotes from the families themselves say they didn't. They were assured of land for their horses.
    You will also notice they have no problem with these houses being given to homeless people (they are 'very happy were they are') if the land they 'were assured' could be provided can't be provided.

Why can't they rent their own land for their horses?

I don't know. Maybe the bould evangelic Peter could have gotten that cleared up today if he was genuinely interested in the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Why can’t they treat their horses humanely?

Great thread, and not TOO much anger really. Very refreshing.

We should all have a voice. That wasn't too evident really up to Casey's intervention.

He will not be elected Prez, but he sure has allowed a debate on this. The msm are lagging behind now.

Imagine, the msm is spinning for approx 100k of the population who are Travellers. What fkn planet are they living on.

20 quid lying in my PP online account.

15 euro on him as a "bet without MDH" @ 16-1
    5E on him to become president @ 100-1.

Sure it's a bit of craic and worth a punt. :)

gl
    vote early and vote often :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

autumn2018 wrote: »
    wow this is the most outlandish claim on this thread

I've no doubt they would do that if they could get away with it but surely the legal system wouldn't allow that to happen more than once.
    Surely bail would be withdrawn should such antics be noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Does not pay to be pragmatic. Look at the history of these people. I am sorry you had to endure this.

I said pages ago maybe not on this thread but anyway, if those Tipp Travellers eventually move in, the horses will be in the house and the people will live in mobiles/caravans on the grazing land. :pac:

Some will denigrate me, but the truth is out there for this kind of lark.

Some people can’t handle the truth,Eyes.

Plenty of them on here, including those plugging the Parnell Square line.;)

Some people can’t handle the truth,Eyes.

Plenty of them on here, including those plugging the Parnell Square line.;)

Before you start digging another pathetic hole for yourself Brendy, check what the Parnell Sq rep in Tipp has to say about this.

When you do, come back and read the line below.

*How pathetically misinformed you are .......again.

Before you start digging another pathetic hole for yourself Brendy, check what the Parnell Sq rep in Tipp has to say about this.

When you do, come back and read the line below.

*How pathetically misinformed you are .......again.

If you could post a link I would be grateful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

travellers called to my farm one day and i answered my door and let out my huge alsation who hadnt had his feed that day ........ they never called back and i ve never seen them run so fast, fat and all as they were the dog came back unharmed but very excited if they call again he'll break skin im sure.

he has a licence and is micro chipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Didn't have any interest in the election till now.

None of the candidates interested me at all.

By God I'm interested now!

Imagine! A public figure telling it like it is. Magic!

Travellers have been a bane on Irish society for decades & have gotten more brazen the more they get from us, the taxpayer.

Yes, the taxpayer that funds their dole & all their other (entitlements).

Great to see a public figure speak openly about this issue.

The other candidates would love these people to live beside them. Yeah right:rolleyes:

I'm glad there's an honest debate opened up on this issue.

I for one am sick and tired of paying for this kind of carry on.

IT. HAS. GOT. TO. STOP.

Hopefully the pendulum has sung the other way & will crush these utter & complete parasitic oxygen-thieves.

Casey get my vote, purely for highlighting this issue & bringing it into the public domain.

• Advertisement

We can be grateful that their ethnicity is not in the constitution so its not that strong.

Politicians and media outlets - A general election is not really that far away. You should really start working on how you intend to serve the average person in Ireland. Y’know, the ones who get up early. We’re not looking for any special treatment or anything but we would like to be given the respect that you heap on everyone BUT us.

We can be grateful that their ethnicity is not in the constitution so its not that strong.

Might as well be, since we cannot talk about it and need permission to articulate it.

He has tapped into the Zeitgeist that has been silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lesliescott586

Politicians and media outlets - A general election is not really that far away. You should really start working on how you intend to serve the average person in Ireland. Y’know, the ones who get up early. We’re not looking for any special treatment or anything but we would like to be given the respect that you heap on everyone BUT us.

Great point. Just finished watching the tonight show and it’s sickening to see the majority of the panel especially Paul Murphy misrepresent what was said by Peter Casey, and talk down to the Irish people as if we would be stupid to think anyone but MDH has a chance.

It’s refreshing to hear someone speak honestly and straight forward about an issue that feels unfair to people who are hardworking and struggling, and that should be spoken about in the media.

Listen to the people there’s an obvious problem here. If it is ignored by the media and people are spoken down to in such a way it will fuel the fire further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Casey is a brave man and deserves to be elected for just speaking the truth about the travelling community, a lot braver than any politician or RTE broadcaster who are funded by the taxpayer.
    His timing is perfect, the travellers have taken things to a whole new level of pisstake and they have been allowed to get to this level by media and politicians so scared to put their head above the parapet for fear of being called racist by Connors and Pavee Point.
    Nobody is rascist here, we are just fed up being told there is a homeless crisis and then a story breaks that 6 brand new houses at the cost of €1.6m are lying idle, I doubt any other country in the world would put up with it.
    €1.6m would get a lot of people of the streets for winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

I've worked and paid taxes for the last 30+ years. I paid more than €20k each year in PAYE for the the last five years. I am no longer able to work and am in need of social housing. I think I am more deserving of a council house. I don't even want stables.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Casey was polling at 2%. To get his deposit and expenses back he needs to hit 14%. It's obvious what he is doing. What will be interesting is how much of a bump he will get. If he gets into the 20% bracket, then it will be a wake up call about how the average Joe is pissed off with travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Calhoun wrote: »
    Leo should keep his nose clear of all Presidential election issues.

Very poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

patmac wrote: »
    Casey is a brave man and deserves to be elected for just speaking the truth about the travelling community, a lot braver than any politician or RTE broadcaster who are funded by the taxpayer.
    His timing is perfect, the travellers have taken things to a whole new level of pisstake and they have been allowed to get to this level by media and politicians so scared to put their head above the parapet for fear of being called racist by Connors and Pavee Point.
    Nobody is rascist here, we are just fed up being told there is a homeless crisis and then a story breaks that 6 brand new houses at the cost of €1.6m are lying idle, I doubt any other country in the world would put up with it.
    €1.6m would get a lot of people of the streets for winter.

He is an opportunist and is using controversy to bump up his %.
    Should he really get elected, you know what will happen?
    Nothing. Absolutely not a damn thing. Because the Prez is purely symbolic. So a vote for him is purely symbolic and will do absolutely nothing whatsoever.
    Voting for him is like pointing a calculator at the TV and wondering why it won't turn on.
    If the people want change, they'll have to change the actual, real government and not the figurehead.
    I am not discussing the issue of travellers, because in this context it is absolutely irrelevant.
    You might as well ask the Spire to do something about the situation.
    Leave Michael D. and if you want change, wait for the real elections.
    Voting for him just is making a point, but not actually wanting to change anything.
    It's just throwing a tantrum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement