Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Calhoun wrote: »

Leo is quick to point out the Presidents role is non political,but quicker again to draw the role into a game of politics......

Foolish play by Leo.
    Hopefully it backfires and garners more support for Casey on polling day.

Keep your nose out Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Stupid play by Leo, you would have thought he would have learned from Enda Kenny making the Seanad vote all about him. People just voted against it because of him, and now we are still left with the overhead of paying for the f**king wasters in there like Marie Louise O'Donnell to grandstand and David Norris to write letters on behalf of paedophiles.

I am voting to Peter Casey on Friday for the following reasons:

1. He spoke the truth. The other were all lying about having the Travellers pull up beside them. Can you imagine Sean Gallagher or Gavin Duffy trying to set up a new business and being delighted to see the Travellers pull up in the car park of their new offices. Absolute bullsh1t.
    2. I am sick of the liberal media only giving one side of the story and none of the journalist being brave to ask some straight questions. The media in this country are more about driving their own agenda than actually reporting the news. A vote for Peter Casey, for me, is a vote against their dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Well If I had any lingering doubts about who to vote for I’ve none now.

I don’t like Casey but as someone who “gets up early in the morning” I’ll definitely be voting for Casey to send a very clear message to Leo the liar that I don’t care what he thinks and will do the opposite of what he asks..

Ya know, just like he does the opposite of what he promises..

This has just become a protest vote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Rennaws wrote: »
    Well If I had any lingering doubts about who to vote for I’ve none now.

I don’t like Casey but as someone who “gets up early in the morning” I’ll definitely be voting for Casey to send a very clear message to Leo the liar that I don’t care what he thinks and will do the opposite of what he asks..

Ya know, just like he does the opposite of what he promises..

I feel the same. I'd never heard of this Casey person before, as I don't watch RTE. I saw a clip of him hitting a golf ball in to the sea and though he was a bit cringeworthy.
    However he has got my vote now. It's a protest vote. Leo has done the opposite he said he would for workers.
    He talks the talk of being there for the hard pressed tax payer but his actions are the opposite. He is seriously out of step with many,many people.
    edit: I sincerely hope Casey doesn't back down but I wouldn't be surprised, as our media are hell bent on getting him to pull out.

Rennaws wrote: »

The role of President is meaningless anyway, so why not use it as a protest vote? It can be a protest on behalf of everybody who has paid heavy taxes (including LPT) to the Irish State and and is still paying for their own house, against the same Irish state that is impoverishing them handing over luxurious houses to ungrateful people who have never worked a day in their life.

• Advertisement

He is an opportunist and is using controversy to bump up his %.
    Should he really get elected, you know what will happen?
    Nothing. Absolutely not a damn thing. Because the Prez is purely symbolic. So a vote for him is purely symbolic and will do absolutely nothing whatsoever.
    Voting for him is like pointing a calculator at the TV and wondering why it won't turn on.
    If the people want change, they'll have to change the actual, real government and not the figurehead.
    I am not discussing the issue of travellers, because in this context it is absolutely irrelevant.
    You might as well ask the Spire to do something about the situation.
    Leave Michael D. and if you want change, wait for the real elections.
    Voting for him just is making a point, but not actually wanting to change anything.
    It's just throwing a tantrum.

It's perfectly legitimate to use this vote as a protest, we all know the president cannot change anything.It will send a powerful message though.
    Your point about the general elections would be fine, if there were an alternative. There is no party around that offer an alternative to this tolerance of parasitical behaviour by both travellers and 'settled' people who refuse to work and have their hand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh dear Leo, this is gonna come back and bite you in the arse.
    And he has effectively asked the Irish people not to vote for him next week.

“I think they’re really regrettable and I hope, that when the people of Ireland go out to vote next Friday, they will give Mr Casey and anyone who holds those views, a very clear message,” the Taoiseach added.

The Taoiseach shouldn't be telling people how to vote in a presidential election.

Casey will now mop up further votes by those who will want to send that message back to Leo.

You don't piss on people's backs and tell them it's raining Leo, then add insult to injury by trying to persuade them to vote in a particular way either.

Jesus, when will he ever learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It’s the battle of the PCs, Political Correctness v Peter Casey and the latter doesn’t even have to win the vote to send a message..but imagine if he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Brae100 wrote: »
    Casey was polling at 2%. To get his deposit and expenses back he needs to hit 14%. It's obvious what he is doing. What will be interesting is how much of a bump he will get. If he gets into the 20% bracket, then it will be a wake up call about how the average Joe is pissed off with travellers.

I'll be voting for Casey. I don't think he will win and I wouldn't want him as President. However, it is important to get the message out. This nonsense of pandering to these leeches has to stop.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    It’s the battle of the PCs, Political Correctness v Peter Casey and the latter doesn’t even have to win the vote to send a message..but imagine if he did!

PC vs PC as it were :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The debate the other evening was laughable
    Like something out of Father Ted

... "here's a picture of me with an African lad who visited the island a few years ago. I can't remember his name but we got on tremendously well..."

With all this 'working with travellers' that is going on (by the candidates), why do they generally have abysmal primary school attendance records, quit secondary at 16, don't hold down jobs, usually litter any site they pull up at, have a large % of their community in jail, on a weekly basis have gardai chasing them for committing acts of robbery across rural Ireland and are commonly disliked and avoided within the areas where they reside.

"Of course there are no Mauri on Craggy Island"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

All joking aside, the grown-ups will have to get back to discussing the actual presidency and what they would bring to the presidency, sooner rather than later.

Casey can't go around talking about travellers or making up stories about the other candidates for the next week. He is going to have to talk about himself at some stage, which is probably where he'll fall down and struggle to improve on his 2%.

dav3 wrote: »
    Casey can't go around talking about travellers or making up stories about the other candidates for the next week. He is going to have to talk about himself at some stage, which is probably where he'll fall down and struggle to improve on his 2%.

I couldn't give a sh1te who Casey is.

He'll have no power.

His honesty regarding travelers is what has won him my vote.

Leo the Liar's comments have just cemented my views even further.

If you want a lesson on electioneering, this is it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

All joking aside, the grown-ups will have to get back to discussing the actual presidency and what they would bring to the presidency, sooner rather than later.

Brexit, Trump! We’re in an age of sound bytes, not one of assessing competence and consequences

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's perfectly legitimate to use this vote as a protest, we all know the president cannot change anything.It will send a powerful message though.
    Your point about the general elections would be fine, if there were an alternative. There is no party around that offer an alternative to this tolerance of parasitical behaviour by both travellers and 'settled' people who refuse to work and have their hand out.

It's a powerful message that says "I am pissed off but don't want anything to change that's why I am engaging in this meaningless token gesture"
    It's on par with banging the table down the pub and spouting off big, but come polling day making a cross besides FF/FG as usual.
    It just shows that genuine political discourse is dead and buried in Ireland and people have given up, besides the odd little show of protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ParkRunner wrote:
    Brexit, Trump! We’re in an age of sound bytes, not one of assessing competence and consequences

This approach probably won't work in Ireland for whatever reasons, I wouldn't be overly concerned for casey, but it will win him some votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:

You seem to attach far more importance to the Presidency than it actually warrants. The role is one of a figure head with little to no power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You seem to attach far more importance to the Presidency than it actually warrants. The role is one of a figure head with little to no power.

He more wants to deflect from Peter Casey. He’s getting a groundswell of support and they don’t like it. They’d like him to fade back into the background and let Michael D Greedyhole swan back into office.

It's a powerful message that says "I am pissed off but don't want anything to change that's why I am engaging in this meaningless token gesture"
    It's on par with banging the table down the pub and spouting off big, but come polling day making a cross besides FF/FG as usual.
    It just shows that genuine political discourse is dead and buried in Ireland and people have given up, besides the odd little show of protest.

Again, people ARE aware it won't change anything. It will send a message though and may give food for thought to those who might consider running with policies that reflects that protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ParkRunner wrote: »

Hes aiming for the sound byte voter. Mission accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More votes for Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

Texting from the bus on the way to work. My and my wife and probably my daughters entire life's tax payments will cover that Traveller accommodation (need to have another to cover the stables) . Nothing should be given without contributing - they should actually be fined/evicted for trespass. I don't usually get involved in ridiculous things like this election/even more ridiculous referendum but Casey will get my one and only vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The president has no power , none of the candidates actually bring anything or will do anything as president. What has Higgens achieved?

I think 7 years are enough for anyone to be President and have yet to hear anyone give an actual reason for voting Higgens. I had no idea who to vote for so why not Peter.

naughtb4 wrote:
    I think 7 years are enough for anyone to be President and have yet to hear anyone give an actual reason for voting Higgens. I had no idea who to vote for so why not Peter.

According to Hayes on Matt Cooper last night it's great to have a Poet in the Aras. It was funny when he was asked to quote some of Higgin's poetry his response was ' I'm told he's a poet'.
    It's a meaningless gig with huge benefits and a very impressive wage for basically having the ability to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Leo is calling for us not to vote for Peter? Is this the same Leo who said he is for the people who get up in the morning? The same Leo whose government recently had a budget where people who have never contributed to society got more money than the people who get up in the morning?

I think Leo is secretly rooting for Peter Casey as this move will get Peter even more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Casey down to 40-1 now on paddy power.

Not really, but wouldn't that scare the bejaysis out of.some round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

According to Hayes on Matt Cooper last night it's great to have a Poet in the Aras. It was funny when he was asked to quote some of Higgin's poetry his response was ' I'm told he's a poet'.
    It's a meaningless gig with huge benefits and a very impressive wage for basically having the ability to stay alive.

Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    If Higgins is a poet
    I'm one too

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2011/nov/01/michael-d-higgins-no-poet

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hes aiming for the sound byte voter. Mission accomplished.

Maybe he's just expressing an honest opinion..

An opinion that the vast majority of the country happen to agree with..

I think people are getting a little sick of being preached at while being fleeced every month to pay for these scroungers..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Mickey may struggle with the last bit if he gets another 7 year term.

His ‘poetry’ is utter shįte

When Will My Time Come

When will my time come for scenery
    And will it be too late?
    After all
    Decades ago I was never able
    To get excited
    About filling the lungs with ozone
    On Salthill Prom.

And when the strangers
    To whom I gave a lift
    Spoke to me of the extraordinary
    Light in the Western sky;
    I often missed its changes.
    And, later, when words were required
    To intervene at the opening of Art Exhibitions,
    It was not the same.

What is this tyranny of head that stifles
    The eyes, the senses,
    All play on the strings of the heart.

And, if there is a healing,
    It is in the depth of a silence,
    Whose plumbed depths require
    A journey through realms of pain
    That must be faced alone.
    The hero, setting out,
    Will meet an ally at a crucial moment.
    But the journey home
    Is mostly alone.

When my time comes
    I will have made my journey
    And through all my senses will explode
    The evidence of light
    And air and water, fire and earth.

I live for that moment.

• Advertisement

Would anyone that has an issue with Casey and believe he is a racist care to repeat what racist comments or actions Casey has engaged in. He's called a racist repeatedly yet no one has pointed to any racist comments he has made. I asked this question from several of his detractors and still waiting for a response.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement