Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

sightband wrote:
    His ‘poetry’ is utter shįte

I hate poetry so I will take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Would anyone that has an issue with Casey and believe he is a racist care to repeat what racist comments or actions Casey has engaged in. He's called a racist repeatedly yet no one has pointed to any racist comments he has made. I asked this question from several of his detractors and still waiting for a response.

He made a comment about diabetes the other night on the debate and was called racist. I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a compelling argument from the distributors of racism cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

sightband wrote: »
    Mickey may struggle with the last bit if he gets another 7 year term.

His ‘poetry’ is utter shįte

When Will My Time Come

When will my time come for scenery
    And will it be too late?
    After all
    Decades ago I was never able
    To get excited
    About filling the lungs with ozone
    On Salthill Prom.

And when the strangers
    To whom I gave a lift
    Spoke to me of the extraordinary
    Light in the Western sky;
    I often missed its changes.
    And, later, when words were required
    To intervene at the opening of Art Exhibitions,
    It was not the same.

What is this tyranny of head that stifles
    The eyes, the senses,
    All play on the strings of the heart.

And, if there is a healing,
    It is in the depth of a silence,
    Whose plumbed depths require
    A journey through realms of pain
    That must be faced alone.
    The hero, setting out,
    Will meet an ally at a crucial moment.
    But the journey home
    Is mostly alone.

When my time comes
    I will have made my journey
    And through all my senses will explode
    The evidence of light
    And air and water, fire and earth.

I live for that moment.

The truth is like poetry. And almost everybody ****ing hates poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Decades ago I was never able
    To get excited
    About filling the lungs with ozone

I never thought much about poetry but one thing I am sure of is that the word ozone is not suitable for poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He is an opportunist and is using controversy to bump up his %.
    Should he really get elected, you know what will happen?
    Nothing. Absolutely not a damn thing. Because the Prez is purely symbolic. So a vote for him is purely symbolic and will do absolutely nothing whatsoever.
    Voting for him is like pointing a calculator at the TV and wondering why it won't turn on.
    If the people want change, they'll have to change the actual, real government and not the figurehead.
    I am not discussing the issue of travellers, because in this context it is absolutely irrelevant.
    You might as well ask the Spire to do something about the situation.
    Leave Michael D. and if you want change, wait for the real elections.
    Voting for him just is making a point, but not actually wanting to change anything.
    It's just throwing a tantrum.

I don't understand this, you're saying if you want change vote for the status quo next week?

Surely using the presidential election is a strong way for the electorate to make a clear point to the political classes that they need to change and it affords the center ground time to react to this wanted change.

Waiting until the general election would just see people voting for extremists who would have their hands on the levers of power, which is far more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't understand this, you're saying if you want change vote for the status quo next week?

Surely using the presidential election is a strong way for the electorate to make a clear point to the political classes that they need to change and it affords the center ground time to react to this wanted change.

Waiting until the general election would just see people voting for extremists who would have their hands on the levers of power, which is far more dangerous.

Use the general elections to give power to either FF or FG again again and then when it comes to electing someone who doesn't have the power or the remit to effect the changes he is highlighting/promising to make, you vote for a candidate piggy backing on an issue.

And you wonder why you are taken for a fool by the ruling class??? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Use the general elections to give power to either FF or FG again again and then when it comes to electing someone who doesn't have the power or the remit to effect the changes he is highlighting/promising to make, you vote for a candidate piggy backing on an issue.

Why cant you do both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

And which party shares and voices peter Casey’s views?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Isn’t it a little bit presumptuous and arrogant to suggest that anyone voting for Casey is a fool.

Opinions like that suggest you lack perspective and balance.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the presidential election is a perfect opportunity for a protest vote.

rather than voting for a trump or a Brexit in elections that matter we have a chance to do a bit of sh1t stirring in the election of a purely ceremonial figure.

make a point but don't unsteady the ship.

• Advertisement

Would you rather a far right party elected? Or that the centre shifts a bit (i.e. FG and FF) to take into account these concerns? This is what the centrehas failed to do on the continent, the centre has ignored the signals and we have now hard right in power in many EU states.

If Casey gets a big percentage, enough to retain his deposit (anything over 2% can be attributed to his comments in recent days) should act as a big flashing red warning sign to FF and FG that there are pressures (often ignored/unsaid in the media political bubble) that they are failing to address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Would you rather a far right party elected? Or that the centre shifts a bit (i.e. FG and FF) to take into account these concerns? This is what the centrehas failed to do on the continent, the centre has ignored the signals and we have now hard right in power in many EU states.

While I wouldn't be for it myself I'd have to wonder quite how much support a far right party would get should one emerge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wexie wrote: »
    While I wouldn't be for it myself I'd have to wonder quite how much support a far right party would get should one emerge here.

i think we d all be very surprised how much support such a party would get, irexit groups do seem to be growing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would you rather a far right party elected? Or that the centre shifts a bit (i.e. FG and FF) to take into account these concerns? This is what has happened on the continent, the centre has ignored the signals and we have now hard right in power in many EU states.

If Casey gets a big percentage, enough to retain his deposit (anything over 2% can be attributed to his comments in recent days) should act as a big flashing red warning sign to FF and FG that there are pressures (often ignored/unsaid in the media political bubble) that they are failing to address.

This rump of lazy arsed malcontents have existed in Irish society since the foundation of the state. Those who snipe about those they see as getting all the benefits above them. If it wasn't travellers Casey was telling 'da truth' about it would be 'da immigrants' or some other section they are jealous about.

Has this demographic ever gotten off it's permanently disgruntled backside to do anything about it or find a representative? No they haven't, but 'oh look, there is a millionaire over there, shouting about it , let's all vote for him, even though there is sod all he can do about it, or even wants to do about it.' "I don't want to resolve it Peter'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You seem to attach far more importance to the Presidency than it actually warrants. The role is one of a figure head with little to no power.

You'd be surprised at just how many people respect the role of the president and the importance the role holds in Ireland. The president is someone who represents the people of Ireland both nationally and internationally. The president is someone who should have a strong understanding of the constitution and strive to achieve to protect it and the people of Ireland at all times. The president is a person who should embody all aspects of Irish life and culture.

Many people hold the role of the president in high regard, in Ireland anyway. After seven years, one thing is certain, Sean Gallagher would have made a disastrous president. There is a reason Peter Casey was on 2%.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think we d all be very surprised how much support such a party would get, irexit groups do seem to be growing

Isn't it funny how these things happen?

And then the politicians that get replaced by the new far right parties act all confused and say 'we did everything we could, and we listened to the common man'.

:rolleyes:

(btw Irexit....let's hope that never takes off)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate poetry so I will take your word for it.

But you haven't heard mine yet.

Peter Casey makes the Pavees cross
    They say he's nasty and bigoted, Boss.
    All other candidates welcome Travellers on their yard
    And if you don't too, they'll play the racist card.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Isn't it funny how these things happen?

And then the politicians that get replaced by the new far right parties act all confused and say 'we did everything we could, and we listened to the common man'.

:rolleyes:

(btw Irexit....let's hope that never takes off)

i cant see this happening unless theres another major crash, and more bullying from eu institutions

I think there is certain arrogance in the political class, that because right wing parties have never really done well here, will never do so. Indeed the same point can be made of the hard left too, even though they have had a bit more electoral success.

The reason that's happened is because FF and FG (in particular FF) have always shifted just enough to capture any vote that might move away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The people who criticise Casey cant seem to understand or are too arrogant to understand why ordinary people have so many issues with travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Casey down to 40-1 now on paddy power.

Not really, but wouldn't that scare the bejaysis out of.some round here.

Still showing 100/1 for me???

Ive €20 on him:)

Get out there and vote:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm saying you should do somehing meaningful-.
    And it doesn't have to be right-wing sh*theads either, why not vote independent, green or labour?* I'm saying in the general elections, not the meaninglss Presidential elections.
    You can vote in the Cookie Monster as president, it won't make a difference.
    Political parties care about votes and money. I you want to send a signal that really gets their attention, it HAS to be via those 2.
    Anythin else is just so much background noie to them.

*There where elections in Bavaria on the 14th. A lot of people voted Green, Freie Wähler or even the Pirates. There was very good turnout at 72%
    This kept the sh*theads from the AfD at 10% and the ruling party, he CSU now has to find a coalition partner. It won't be the AfD.
    The vote sent a very powerful message.
    A: We're not happy with the ruling party
    and
    B: We won't turn to right wing populists and vote for genuine, intelligent alternatives instead.

THAT is a powerful message.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dav3 wrote: »
    There is a reason Peter Casey was on 2%.

There is also a reason why his odds have been slashed majorly from 500/1 to 100/1 recently. A lot of people like what he's had to say this week.

*There where elections in Bavaria on the 14th. A lot of people voted Green, Freie Wähler or even the Pirates. There was very good turnout at 72%
    This kept the sh*theads from the AfD at 10% and the ruling party, he CSU now has to find a coalition partner. It won't be the AfD.
    The vote sent a very powerful message.
    A: We're not happy with the ruling party
    and
    B: We won't turn to right wing populists and vote for genuine, intelligent alternatives instead.

Which would you say those are in the context of Irish politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Wasnt there a big "irexit" forum thing a while ago, reports were it was very poorly attended.

Omackeral wrote: »
    There is also a reason why his odds have been slashed majorly from 500/1 to 100/1 recently. A lot of people like what he's had to say this week.

Isn't he 40/1 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Edgware wrote: »
    The people who criticise Casey cant seem to understand or are too arrogant to understand why ordinary people have so many issues with travellers.

I criticise him because his comments are just a blatant attempt to get votes and have absolutely nothing to do with his suitability to be president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    You'd be surprised at just how many people respect the role of the president and the importance the role holds in Ireland. The president is someone who represents the people of Ireland both nationally and internationally. The president is someone who should have a strong understanding of the constitution and strive to achieve to protect it and the people of Ireland at all times. The president is a person who should embody all aspects of Irish life and culture.

No of which changes the fact it is a ceremonial role and any holder of the office is confined to a very narrow position and any role they are required to fill is done under advisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Omackeral wrote:

Picking one thing you agree on with a candidate who otherwise has shown zero capacity to be presidential is a poor use of your vote in my opinion. And shows an ignorance of capacity of the role.
    Particularly when if they win, they will not influence legislation in that area whatsoever.

I hope next weeks vote shows we are not as bad as some locations in going this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Which would you say those are in the context of Irish politics?

Come on, he gave you a well reasoned post into which he put some thought and effort and you pick up on 4 words.
    Now you want an essay on Irish politics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement