Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    Many people hold the role of the president in high regard, in Ireland anyway. After seven years, one thing is certain, Sean Gallagher would have made a disastrous president. There is a reason Peter Casey was on 2%.

Sean Gallagher would have made a disastrous president? Your claim, so kindly elaborate please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Isn't he 40/1 now?

Ha no, I suggest you read the full post that quoted that, sneaky and all as it was :P
    Casey down to 40-1 now on paddy power.

Not really, but wouldn't that scare the bejaysis out of.some round here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

500/1 to 100/1 isnt as big a move in odds as it seems. There are few odds offered between the two.

Maybe if PP offered the market on boards new demographic of poster only he would be a shoo in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Omackeral wrote: »
    There is also a reason why his odds have been slashed majorly from 500/1 to 100/1 recently. A lot of people like what he's had to say this week.

They are bookies.
    They make a book on the result.
    Their only aim is to get their hands on your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm saying you should do somehing meaningful-.
    And it doesn't have to be right-wing sh*theads either, why not vote independent, green or labour?* I'm saying in the general elections, not the meaninglss Presidential elections.
    You can vote in the Cookie Monster as president, it won't make a difference.
    Political parties care about votes and money. I you want to send a signal that really gets their attention, it HAS to be via those 2.
    Anythin else is just so much background noie to them.

*There where elections in Bavaria on the 14th. A lot of people voted Green, Freie Wähler or even the Pirates. There was very good turnout at 72%
    This kept the sh*theads from the AfD at 10% and the ruling party, he CSU now has to find a coalition partner. It won't be the AfD.
    The vote sent a very powerful message.
    A: We're not happy with the ruling party
    and
    B: We won't turn to right wing populists and vote for genuine, intelligent alternatives instead.

THAT is a powerful message.

People with right wing views are not going to vote for the left, and it's arrogant to dismiss anything essentially left/left of centre as unintelligent.

I agree that to get anything done here it had to be through FF and FG, the problem is getting them to hear you through the media shield (which is firmly left of centre in Ireland). The fact that Casey is gaining traction with his views should be a siren to those in power that there is something there they've not been listening to, or dismissing as cranks (as one poster put it earlier)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

elperello wrote: »
    Come on, he gave you a well reasoned post into which he put some thought and effort and you pick up on 4 words.
    Now you want an essay on Irish politics.

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that comparing German politics with Irish politics doesn't really work in this context.

I understand and agree with the message, but I think if a far right party were to materialize here things might end up a little different as there doesn't seem to be this 'intelligent and realistic' alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Try_harder wrote:
    500/1 to 100/1 isnt as big a move in odds as it seems. There are few odds offered between the two.

PP are simply taking advantage of the current environment by attracting more business.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Would you rather a far right party elected? Or that the centre shifts a bit (i.e. FG and FF) to take into account these concerns? This is what has happened on the continent, the centre has ignored the signals and we have now hard right in power in many EU states.

If Casey gets a big percentage, enough to retain his deposit (anything over 2% can be attributed to his comments in recent days) should act as a big flashing red warning sign to FF and FG that there are pressures (often ignored/unsaid in the media political bubble) that they are failing to address.

Ireland is the only country in Europe to not yet have had a rightward shift. Probably because of a stronger media and political lockdown on any hint of even moderate non liberal/left views. Judging from wide personal experience people are pissed off about not being allowed to express moderate views on certain topics. They have just not found an acceptable locus from which to express it politically. This cannot last forever and just requires someone who seems to acknowledge their otherwise ignored and derided concerns. Leo has let himself down in this instance and it may rebound back on him.
    If Casey (who merely spoke the uncontroversial truth) gets the full forces of the media/political/NGO cabal railed against him it will certainly provoke a reaction. It will be fascinating to see how well he does in the polls as a result of this. It would be great to give them the shock of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Try_harder wrote: »
    500/1 to 100/1 isnt as big a move in odds as it seems.

It's the equivalent of dropping the price of something from 5 euros to 4.99 euros.

It is designed to separate the easily deluded from their cash in greater volumes while losing a minimal amount yourself.

Stand back and watch PP get richer here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great thread, and not TOO much anger really. Very refreshing.

We should all have a voice. That wasn't too evident really up to Casey's intervention.

He will not be elected Prez, but he sure has allowed a debate on this. The msm are Zlagging behind now.

Imagine, the msm is spinning for approx 100k of the population who are Travellers. What fkn planet are they living on.

Only 40K Travellers in Ireland according to Collins last night.
    It is great that the debate has begun and not before time.

• Advertisement

Picking one thing you agree on with a candidate who otherwise has shown zero capacity to be presidential is a poor use of your vote in my opinion. And shows an ignorance of capacity of the role.
    Particularly when if they win, they will not influence legislation in that area whatsoever.

I hope next weeks vote shows we are not as bad as some locations in going this route.

Let's call a spade a spade. MDH is winning this, landslide style regardless of what a few dozen or even hundreds on here do. That's pretty much a dead cert. My own reasoning is that I was pretty much going to abstain as I don't particularly care who gets it. I don't dislike Higgins at all and will be happy enough with him going on for term two.

The reason myself, and seemingly plenty on here, are voting Peter Casey is simply that of a protest. More often than not, protest doesn't achieve anything right away but if enough of a wave of momentum is created it may spark a few more conversations. That's realistically it. The establishment, the media et al are forever shying away from having any difficult chat about our ethnic bretheren. Something like this, might, just might show that it's ok to speak up and speak out and the public won't mind.

They are bookies.
    They make a book on the result.
    Their only aim is to get their hands on your money.

Reminds me of another group of folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Brexit, Trump! We’re in an age of sound bytes, not one of assessing competence and consequences

Having endured years of sound byte, PR led politics people are sick of it , Peter Casey's honesty is a breath of fresh air, the politicians have only themselves to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's the equivalent of dropping the price of something from 5 euros to 4.99 euros.

It is designed to separate the easily deluded from their cash in greater volumes while losing a minimal amount yourself.

Stand back and watch PP get richer here. :D
    He's not serious
    He'll drop out
    He'll never get the nomination
    He'll never beat Hillary
    He'll never get a second term?

While I don't think Casey will get elected, there is more than a reasonable chance he will now poll well enough to get his deposit back. I wonder what PP would offer on that.

I think this is Casey's real goal, to build a platform on the back of this.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Reminds me of another group of folks.

I'm thinking banks, insurance companies.

It's occurred to me I have to admit.

All of a sudden he's a household name whereas who had heard of him a few months ago?

wexie wrote: »

All of a sudden he's a household name whereas who had heard of him a few months ago?

In my judgement he wouldn't have the staying power.
    He is quite a shallow man with nothing to offer.
    As others have said, if you want real change you will have to look elsewhere.

Coveney just on Pat Kenny expressing his horror and outrage at Casey's comments. Saying he was stirring up hatred. Fine Gael now speak and behave like SJWs except economically. Good cover for their real interests in looking after their mates in the banks etc.

In my judgement he wouldn't have the staying power.
    He is quite a shallow man with nothing to offer.
    As others have said, if you want real change you will have to look elsewhere.

Yeah I don't know if it's his plan, or, if it was would it really go anywhere. He's sure got people talking but he hasn't offered much in the way of substance.

It's all too easy to criticize how things are currently done, it gets a lot harder to figure out a better way of doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What was racist about what Casey said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm thinking banks, insurance companies.

No end to the list of 'untouchable' groups willing to screw you over on this island really. :pac:

The more discussion, the better. Very healthy. Thanks Peter for getting the ball rolling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

quintana76 wrote: »
    Ireland is the only country in Europe to not yet have had a rightward shift. Probably because of a stronger media and political lockdown on any hint of even moderate non liberal/left views. Judging from wide personal experience people are pissed off about not being allowed to express moderate views on certain topics. They have just not found an acceptable locus from which to express it politically. This cannot last forever and just requires someone who seems to acknowledge their otherwise ignored and derided concerns. Leo has let himself down in this instance and it may rebound back on him.
    If Casey (who merely spoke the uncontroversial truth) gets the full forces of the media/political/NGO cabal railed against him it will certainly provoke a reaction. It will be fascinating to see how well he does in the polls as a result of this. It would be great to give them the shock of their lives.

I actually don't think it would be a shock to them.
    I am confident the msm and the leftist politicians are well aware. This is why it is even more important for them to keep the grip on media tight, and to round hard on any dissenting views lest they gain traction.

Omackeral wrote:
    The reason myself, and seemingly plenty on here, are voting Peter Casey is simply that of a protest. More often than not, protest doesn't achieve anything right away but if enough of a wave of momentum is created it may spark a few more conversations. That's realistically it. The establishment, the media et al are forever shying away from having any difficult chat about our ethnic bretheren. Something like this, might, just might show that it's ok to speak up and speak out and the public won't mind.

You could argue that US presidential elections and Brexit (not trying to get on to that here) were protest votes.
    But, once the votes were in, the victors used that vote to force their mandate.

Hence Fox News saying the Americans voted for a president to trust Russia and doubt their own intelligence agencies.

I'm surprised some would;
    A, choose not to vote because they think they'll be happy if the vote turns out as expected. And,
    B, would think that this is how policy should be developed.

If so many in the country agree with Peter Casey, why are councils countrywide not full of people who would through any excessive demands back in their face.

In a country with frequent open and fair elections at every level, I shake my head at people giving out about the establishment (whatever that is) without either trying to get involved or recognizing that it has evolved democratically from the society we live in.

So many (not aimed at you) profess outrage but don't act because, they, just, couldn't, be, arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

More confusion about what is going on there. Stoked by generalised rabblerousing by Casey.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/travellers-and-council-clash-over-grazing-land-for-horses-1.3663379

Bit of a change between that and the original article

Long way from the McCarthys said originally

However, the Travellers living across the road say they will not be occupying them unless two stables and at least half an acre of land are included behind each dwelling for their horses.

They were to be built with a half-acre behind each house, with two stables,” Philip McCarthy, one of the residents of the site at Cabragh Bridge, said at the weekend. “They [Tipperary County Council] changed it to a group project, like a mini-housing estate. The agreement was two stables and a half an acre for the horses, but they never came up with that.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...es-874178.html

Or the same article in the Irish Times

Families want stables for horses before moving into new homes
    Tipperary County Council says it is in discussions to try to resolve the problem

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/families-want-stables-for-horses-before-moving-into-new-homes-1.3655385

The McCarthys specifically mentioned stables

When it was was put to him that Pavee Point said the family did not want the council to give it the land, rather to rent it,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...asey-1.3666390

Big change from They were to be built with a half-acre behind each house, with two stables to renting the extra land

Me thinks the media and the travellers in question are trying to change the narrative as they have turned down €1.7 million in houses and it looks terrible

Demanding half and acre of land behind each house and stables.

Now they are changing the narrative

Casey is right to call them out on their BS

I am confident the msm and the leftist politicians are well aware. This is why it is even more important for them to keep the grip on media tight, and to round hard on any dissenting views lest they gain traction.

I am aware that the media are aware. The shock to them would be the plebs having a mind of their own and being prepared to speak up and defy the media/political stranglehold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

wexie wrote: »

So i'll ask again and see if I can get an answer this time.

Do you believe that he asked/forced/coerced the Irish Independent to ask the question he answered, that caused all of this??

I don't think so.
    He showed no capacity for strategic planning in this way in either of the first debates (radio and RTE).

If this was a strategic move, then, it's possible he doesn't believe the words he said but just said them because he knew that there's a market for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

They'll feign outrage at the "racist and intoletant" society we have become, but merely demonstrating how out of touch they are.

It might be a shock to "the man on the clapham bus", that his dissatisfaction with the establishment's pandering of a cohort of society isnt as unique as he might have feared.
    I think there'll be back benchers in the main political parties watching this with interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Watched Rte and Virgin last night when Travellers were being interviewed or issues relating to Travellers were being discused there was a complete abscence of any objective debate on the issues raised by Casey Miriam was fawning over Connors from Pavee and Paul Murphy that great upholder of law and order was outraged that Matt and Ivan dared mention Ms Cash and her Court appearance. The Media must be living in a diferent planet Most of my colleagues agree with Casey and his views on ethnicity though they wont vote for him. As regards Ms Cash they are of the opinion that she is milking the system for what its worth, how come the ordinary person can see this and the Media and Politicians cant see this. Why are people runing scared. And finally there was Joe giving time to a criminal yesterday trying to evade the due process of law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

What was racist about what Casey said?

I asked several who called Casey a racist that question..... nothing but silence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement