Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So i'll ask again and see if I can get an answer this time.

Do you believe that he asked/forced/coerced the Irish Independent to ask the question he answered, that caused all of this??

I don't think you've asked me that before but I'll happily answer it for you now seeing as you're asking me so politely.

I don't know is the answer, I haven't listened to the podcast nor do I intend to (can't stand podcasts or the like, I prefer reading). Nor do I think it's particularly relevant as to why the question was asked and I'm not sure why you think it is.

It's possible it was asked because of something that came up outside of the podcast, it's possible it was on the list anyway.

What matters is that once the question was asked he had the choice of either speaking his mind or sticking with the safe and PC answer.

I commend him for speaking his mind (if that is what it was rather than just an attention grabbing sound bite). I commend him even more for not backing off on his statements.

I don't think all of it will do anyone any good unless he actually tries to follow up on his newfound popularity after the presidential elections (which he will most likely not win) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

quintana76 wrote: »
    Coveney just on Pat Kenny expressing his horror and outrage at Casey's comments. Saying he was stirring up hatred. Fine Gael now speak and behave like SJWs except economically. Good cover for their real interests in looking after their mates in the banks etc.

Casey is "taking the weekend off " from canvassing due to his opinion attracting so much attention in the media.

Just announced on newstalk.

Peter... Peter....

Don't cave to the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He needs to stand firm. If he pulls out now he’ll be slaughtered by the media and his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Casey is "taking the weekend off " from canvassing due to his opinion attracting so much attention in the media.

Just announced on newstalk.

Peter... Peter....

Don't cave to the pressure.

He's getting out. You don't say you're considering quitting a political race only to decide you're not later, it has less than zero credibility.

What a total and utter flute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Higgins spouting "the most vunerable " nonsense on the SOR show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ten Pin wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/peter-casey-presidential-4294876-Oct2018/

Either way his name will be on the ballot paper

OMG
    The Nazi

"I think it’s just nonsense, they’re not a different race. The Proclamation says every child should be cherished equally, and there’s not a racist bone in my body. I believe they’re equal to everyone else, I don’t believe they’re better or worse than anybody."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The dog whistle politics of Casey certainly stirred up the racists.

Looks like he's pulling out of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'd urge everyone on here to email his campaign and encourage him to stay in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I will be still be voting for him. Leo telling people how they should vote has galvanized me further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

OMG
    The Nazi

"I think it’s just nonsense, they’re not a different race. The Proclamation says every child should be cherished equally, and there’s not a racist bone in my body. I believe they’re equal to everyone else, I don’t believe they’re better or worse than anybody."

What a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ten Pin wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/peter-casey-presidential-4294876-Oct2018/

Either way his name will be on the ballot paper

I'd suspect he has no intention whatsoever of pulling out and knows exactly what he's doing here. Have to hand it to the man, he's playing a blinder here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Until Monday...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

And the social justice warriors win again.

Backed by our incredibly left leaning media. A countries media is a very powerful thing.

So you like to use the word racist, so I'm guessing you'll have no problems backing up said claim with examples. When you're ready.....

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He needs to stand firm. If he pulls out now he’ll be slaughtered by the media and his supporters.

Thing is, if this was a man looking for a bit of publicity to kick off a new political platform the last thing he would want to happen is be stuck in a ceremonial role for the next 7 years....

ollesafeee.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

You could argue that US presidential elections and Brexit (not trying to get on to that here) were protest votes.
    But, once the votes were in, the victors used that vote to force their mandate.

Hence Fox News saying the Americans voted for a president to trust Russia and doubt their own intelligence agencies.

I'm surprised some would;
    A, choose not to vote because they think they'll be happy if the vote turns out as expected. And,
    B, would think that this is how policy should be developed.

If so many in the country agree with Peter Casey, why are councils countrywide not full of people who would through any excessive demands back in their face.

In a country with frequent open and fair elections at every level, I shake my head at people giving out about the establishment (whatever that is) without either trying to get involved or recognizing that it has evolved democratically from the society we live in.

So many (not aimed at you) profess outrage but don't act because, they, just, couldn't, be, arsed.

Quoted for posterity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

wexie wrote: »
    Thing is, if this was a man looking for a bit of publicity to kick off a new political platform the last thing he would want to happen is be stuck in a ceremonial role for the next 7 years....

Not much fear of that

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

doylefe wrote: »
    Backed by our incredibly left leaning media. A countries media is a very powerful thing.

Pat Kenny said he was planning to take the weekend off anyway. Playing golf tomorrow. GAA match on Sunday.
    He needs to show backbone against the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I doubt he's pulling out of the race. Just taking a bit of time off because he has nothing to offer and playing the victim card.

He'll come back and run as 'the man who hates travellers', and why wouldn't he? According to after hours he's going to sweep to power on the first count.

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny said he was planning to take the weekend off anyway. Playing golf tomorrow. GAA match on Sunday.
    He needs to show backbone against the mob.

Aside from that this is a family man with what? 5 kids?

Jumping to the conclusion that he's dropping out because he's taking the weekend off is a bit premature.

Let's face it he's gained more votes this week than he could have in a weekend of hard campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Where's the racism ?

Can you point out the racist posts ?

Have you reported them ?

doylefe wrote: »

I just picked these two posts because they're recent, but this kind of thing has been going on throughout the thread, and increasingly on boards in general lately. Casey and anyone who agrees with him is a racist, or is being compared to Hitler. Our slightly left on centre media is "incredibly left". Why is is so difficult to put forward an opinion without going to extremes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dav3 wrote: »
    I doubt he's pulling out of the race. Just taking a bit of time off because he has nothing to offer and playing the victim card.

He'll come back and run as 'the man who hates travellers', and why wouldn't he? According to after hours he's going to sweep to power on the first count.

Yes, you can see the hatred ripping out of this quote from him.

Why is is so difficult to put forward an opinion without going to extremes?

I don't know either but it just seems to be the way things are going.

It's a worrying development this whole polarization of politics and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1019/1005248-presidential-election/

Independent presidential candidate Peter Casey has said he is going to take the weekend to consider if he will continue in the race for the Áras.

In a statement, Mr Casey said in light of the events of the past few days, he is taking the weekend off from the campaign to think carefully about whether to continue in the race.

"I do not want the people of Ireland to elect me as President of Ireland just based on one statement I made."

Well balls to that anyway. He had my vote :mad:

dav3 wrote:
    playing the victim card.

Straight out of the Pavee Point handbook. ;-)

Yes, you can see the hatred ripping out of this quote from him.

For some people it's not enough to ask that everyone gets equal treatment, we have to compensate for past wrongs by giving minorities special status, and anyone who disagrees with that is a massive bigot. I think it's a pile of nonsense myself, and I say that as someone who'd take the leftie stance on most topics. That's without even getting into the questionable notion of considering travellers a minority in the first place.

Equality is equality, and should be seen as a good thing. I really don't see what's so controversial to some people about Casey's comments, but I'm not sure they're enough reason alone to vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

dav3 wrote: »

Why are you distorting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1019/1005248-presidential-election/

Independent presidential candidate Peter Casey has said he is going to take the weekend to consider if he will continue in the race for the Áras.

In a statement, Mr Casey said in light of the events of the past few days, he is taking the weekend off from the campaign to think carefully about whether to continue in the race.

"I do not want the people of Ireland to elect me as President of Ireland just based on one statement I made."

Well balls to that anyway. He had my vote :mad:

I think he will still stay in the race

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement