Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

dav3 wrote: »
    I doubt he's pulling out of the race. Just taking a bit of time off because he has nothing to offer and playing the victim card.

He'll come back and run as 'the man who hates travellers', and why wouldn't he? According to after hours he's going to sweep to power on the first count.

Hardly. No one thinks he's going to win.

If he does pull out, he may well still attract a sizeable vote which could only be viewed then as a pure protest.

I don't think he will withdraw however.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Rennaws wrote: »
    Where's the racism ?

Can you point out the racist posts ?

Have you reported them ?

Definition of racist: Someone who disagrees with facehuggers NPC opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Well balls to that anyway. He had my vote

He'll be back Monday after he finds the encouragement from his supporters to much to ignore. ;-) Clever lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I doubt he's pulling out of the race. Just taking a bit of time off because he has nothing to offer and playing the victim card.

He'll come back and run as 'the man who hates travellers', and why wouldn't he? According to after hours he's going to sweep to power on the first count.

Any evidence he hates travellers?
    You're just soapboxing otherwise.

"I believe they’re equal to everyone else, I don’t believe they’re better or worse than anybody."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"Varadkar is a disgrace for interfering and should keep his trap shut" says Casey of a party leader who backs one of his competitors.

The Uzi is really falling down the stairs now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Of course, its Casey being hounded out because of one opinion he held . If you disagree, don't vote for him. But naturally the left biased media here having meltdowns as usual, and unable to counter the argument with anything other than the racism card, which is old and stale by now. Nothing less than his withdrawal from the race and him going down Dublin's O Connell St in sackcloth and ashes will do some here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Omackeral wrote: »
    But you haven't heard mine yet.

Peter Casey makes the Pavees cross
    They say he's nasty and bigoted, Boss.
    All other candidates welcome Travellers on their yard
    And if you don't too, they'll play the racist card.

I'm rapping that in my head to the tune of the Fresh Prince of BelAir. Kudos sir!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Does anyone know for sure if Peter Casey will still be on the ballot paper even if he does withdraw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Hardly. No one thinks he's going to win.

If he does pull out, he may well still attract a sizeable vote which could only be viewed then as a pure protest.

I don't think he will withdraw however.

Of course he's going to win, around 60% of the first round of votes according to this forum. Unless people are suggesting that after hours is not representative of the Irish public and the owner of the website has allowed it to be taken over by a tiny but vocal minority, most of which aren't Irish, or live in Ireland, whose views are not in line with the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Of course, its Casey being hounded out because of one opinion he held . If you disagree, don't vote for him. But naturally the left biased media here having meltdowns as usual, and unable to counter the argument with anything other than the racism card, which is old and stale by now. Nothing less than his withdrawal from the race and him going down Dublin's O Connell St in sackcloth and ashes will do some here.

Surely the deal here is that Casey doesn't have the belief necessary in his convictions and has taken himself out of the race temporarily?

What hounding has he had? Being asked to explain his rationale beyond a few bullet points is 'hounding' now? :D:D

I suspect actually that he is trying to further manipulate the mob to start baying 'he is being hounded' and it's working.

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote:
    Of course he's going to win, around 60% of the first round of votes according to this forum. Unless people are suggesting that after hours is not representative of the Irish public and the owner of the website has allowed it to be taken over by a tiny but vocal minority, most of which aren't Irish, or live in Ireland, whose views are not in line with the Irish people.

Any chance you will point out the racism you and others have accused Casey of?

Surely the deal here is that Casey doesn't have the belief necessary in his convictions and has taken himself out of the race temporarily?

Could be a clever ploy to garnish more votes, play the victim as it were. Could be using some of the Pavee Point tactics. Wait till Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

For some people it's not enough to ask that everyone gets equal treatment, we have to compensate for past wrongs by giving minorities special status, and anyone who disagrees with that is a massive bigot. I think it's a pile of nonsense myself, and I say that as someone who'd take the leftie stance on most topics. That's without even getting into the questionable notion of considering travellers a minority in the first place.

Equality is equality, and should be seen as a good thing. I really don't see what's so controversial to some people about Casey's comments, but I'm not sure they're enough reason alone to vote for him.

Yeah but the problem with that, how I see it anyways, is that some people believe equality to be equality of opportunity ie. everybody should get the same opportunities. Some other people believe equality to be equality of outcome : ie. everybody should get the same income, the same results, etc. etc.

But at the end of the day we're not all equal, we don't all have the same skills, intellect, looks, genetics, motivation, resilience, stamina and so on and so forth.

That means that two different people given the same opportunities can end up in entirely different stations in life just because of who they are and how hard they work with what they have and what they are given.

Personally I don't believe travelers should be a protected ethnic minority (regardless of whether or not they actually are, which incidentally I don't believe either, or at least if they are then it is by choice) purely because an awful lot of their problems seem to stem from being outside of society (whether or not that is by choice or behaviour).

Taking steps to make them even more separate from society isn't going to help this, not even a small bit.

Should it be discouraged to discriminate against them or disadvantage them because they are travelers? Absolutely and unequivocally.

However, and this is the bit a lot of people seem to get a bit vague on, should it be okay to condemn individual travelers on their behaviours?

Absofuckinglutely it should, no more or no less than it should be okay to condemn anyone else on their behaviours, criminal records, etc. etc.

I suspect actually that he is trying to further manipulate the mob to start baying 'he is being hounded' and it's working.

Do you really think it's appropriate to describe you disagree with as a 'mob'? , personally when I see that term used by anyone I totally dismiss anything they say.

Any evidence he hates travellers?
    You're just soapboxing otherwise.

"I believe they’re equal to everyone else, I don’t believe they’re better or worse than anybody."

Well I find that certain people are more receptive to Trump like quotes and taking the whole thing as a joke just like Casey does.

Here are a few more for you guys.

Lying Peter, embarrasses himself on tv...AGAIN, SAD!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/peter-casey-denies-mixing-up-michael-d-higgins-and-ff-mayor-1.3668462?mode=amp
    Presidential candidate Peter Casey has denied he made a mistake when he accused President Michael D Higgins of having objected to a Traveller halting site in Galway in 1968.

However, a former Fianna Fáil mayor with a similar surname, businessman Michéal O hUiginn, has said that he was one of a majority of councillors who objected to plans by Galway’s local authority in 1968 to provide a hardstand in Rahoon, where Traveller families had been camped.

Flip-Flop Casey backtracks on another comment. NO BACKBONE!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidental-hopeful-peter-casey-backtracks-on-drugs-war-tweet-37275794.html
    Presidential hopeful Peter Casey has back-tracked from a tweet in which he expressed support for Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's controversial drugs clampdown.

In the following days, Mr Casey tweeted: "Totally support Philippine President Duterte clamping down on drug dealers but he should not have apologised to Obama."

"Can I say, categorically, that this is not how I feel about President Duterte or Barack Obama," he said.

How crazy would people like to get on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Think this is definitely a ploy to garner more support. I had absolutely no interest in this election and wasn't going to vote but he has won me over by sticking it to these media types. Being a Derryman is just a bonus!

I'd probably take any of them over that obnoxious little creep currently in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That only partially true. Boards had never been representative, since it's primarily males born in the 1980s that post here.

And travellers have never ever been popular on boards, long before the troll takeover.

Ah that old pathetic chestnut again.

Do give it a rest please, eh ?

dav3 wrote:

MDH described Castro as one of the greats. No mention of the 1000's of Cubans who died as a result of Castro's greatness. Any thoughts?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Any chance you will point out the racism you and others have accused Casey of?

Did I accuse him of racism? I was quoting the thumb who was standing beside him on the last debate who referred to his comments as 'racist'.

• Advertisement

That only partially true. Boards had never been representative, since it's primarily males born in the 1980s that post here.

And travellers have never ever been popular on boards, long before the troll takeover.

Female born in early 70s.

Not a troll, just a normal Irish person with prior negative experiences of travellers.

You'll find there's more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

MDH described Castro as one of the greats. No mention of the 1000's of Cubans who died as a result of Castro's greatness. Any thoughts?

He said that some of the things that Castro tried to achieve came at a high social cost.

You could say the same thing about any western leader too. But how many do?
    Many more people have died as a result of our great capitalist leaders greatness too. But I suspect you know that.

dav3 wrote:
    Did I accuse him of racism? I was quoting the thumb who was standing beside him on the last debate who referred to his comments as 'racist'.

You did several times yesterday, so care to explain why he is described as such. I would have thought anyone calling for equality for everyone to be the direct opposite of racism. Do you believe in equality for all as Peter does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

He can't pull out at this stage, as far as I'm aware. He'll be on the ballot paper and if he wins then he wins.
    He can refuse to accept. That doesn't mean, though, that the next person gets it. We're back to square one all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Well I find that certain people are more receptive to Trump like quotes and taking the whole thing as a joke just like Casey does.

Here are a few more for you guys.

Lying Peter, embarrasses himself on tv...AGAIN, SAD!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/peter-casey-denies-mixing-up-michael-d-higgins-and-ff-mayor-1.3668462?mode=amp

Flip-Flop Casey backtracks on another comment. NO BACKBONE!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidental-hopeful-peter-casey-backtracks-on-drugs-war-tweet-37275794.html

Drugs policy... In the Philippines...?

Still waiting on the racism eveidence.
    In your own time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Male born in the early 1970s here. I agree with Casey's comments on Travelers, somewhat ill-timed and all as they were, but I'm not voting for him - I don't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Drugs policy... In the Philippines...?

Still waiting on the racism eveidence.
    In your own time

In fairness the way Duterte is cracking down on drugs is perhaps somewhat less than sound.

But you're absolutely right, he seems quite happy to have people executed for dealing drugs regardless of skincolour or heritage

:D

Not too bothered. It doesn't seem to have impacted his opinion poll ratings. I think they actually increased since then.
    Perhaps the Irish people love a bit of Castro, I know they love a bit of Che.

What are St.Peter Casey's thoughts though? He'd probably flip-flop on them in a matter of minutes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

From the first link:
    The inequality experienced by Travellers and Roma persists and shows in health,accommodation, education, employment, social protection, violence against women,drug and alcohol issues, and inclusion in decision making. This socio-economic and political context shapes the direction and approach of the Strategic Plan.

Ah! its your fault, you make me beat my wife. You force me to not have a job. You prevent my children from going to school.

Ok, now we know where we are going wrong, what can we do about it to make travellers 'equal'? Though as an aside - equal to who? What is equal anyway - there are loads of people that have more money than me, does that make me less equal? I left school at 16, did that make me less equal?

Anyway, the solutions - well we could make school places available to traveller children, allow them to stay on into second level, give them transport to school and support in the classrooms. Oh, wait...

We can offer training course for unemployed travellers - in fact we could offer training courses for all unemployed people. Oh, hang on...

And we could...how do you stop someone abusing their wife? Yes, the wives are definitely not equal there. But its the culture, and that is sacrosanct, so what is the solution, maybe Pavee Point rather than the rest of us can sort that one.

• Advertisement

He said that some of the things that Castro tried to achieve came at a high social cost.

He described Castro as one of the greats, there is no escaping that. He is also quite complimentary to Chavez and a few other nut jobs in Central America. The funniest thing I think though about MDH is he went to the ILO conference in Switzerland ( the 3000 euro a night farce) to deliver a speech deriding captilism and globalisation whilst benefiting from a captialist system which gives him over 500ka year in pay and expenses. I think the guy despite his height is a hypocrite of monumental proportions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement