Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    What are St.Peter Casey's thoughts though? He'd probably flip-flop on them in a matter of minutes anyway.

So no answers to any questions posed to you? If you can't answer just be honest and say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully Casey won’t be hounded out of the campaign for speaking the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,829 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

looksee wrote: »
    From the first link:

Ah! its your fault, you make me beat my wife. You force me to not have a job. You prevent my children from going to school.

Ok, now we know where we are going wrong, what can we do about it to make travellers 'equal'? Though as an aside - equal to who? What is equal anyway - there are loads of people that have more money than me, does that make me less equal? I left school at 16, did that make me less equal?

Anyway, the solutions - well we could make school places available to traveller children, allow them to stay on into second level, give them transport to school and support in the classrooms. Oh, wait...

We can offer training course for unemployed travellers - in fact we could offer training courses for all unemployed people. Oh, hang on...

And we could...how do you stop someone abusing their wife? Yes, the wives are definitely not equal there. But its the culture, and that is sacrosanct, so what is the solution, maybe Pavee Point rather than the rest of us can sort that one.

Wait now, can you tell us first why YOU think people beat their wives, problem drink, eschew education and cannot hold down employment?

Refer to Aborigines, Native Americans, Romas and any other marginalised, dispossessed peoples across the world, including the Irish people themselves under colonisation and dispossession.
    In your answer please refer to instances where dispossessed and marginalised people changed their futures and reference how they did that E.g. How the Irish people used education and self esteem to negate the effects of generational poverty and suppression and built a modern progressive society. Address please, why some sections of the community were left behind and what measures might be taken to address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So no answers to any questions posed to you? If you can't answer just be honest and say so.

If you're not satisfied with my answers, there's not much I can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

dav3 wrote: »
    I know they love a bit of Che.

Tae, Irish people love a bit of tae.

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote:

Can't ascribe satisfaction of either the positive or negative variety to answers that you have not given. You were asked repeatedly about your racism claims no reply from you to any poster. That's just one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

In your answer please refer to instances where dispossessed and marginalised people changed their futures and reference how they did that E.g. How the Irish people used education and self esteem to negate the effects of generational poverty and suppression and built a modern progressive society. Address please, why some sections of the community were left behind and what measures might be taken to address this.

While I don't think you're altogether wrong in what you're trying to convey....I'm not altogether sure how protecting a culture that encourages people to not get educated is likely to going to help any....

He described Castro as one of the greats, there is no escaping that.

Rather than plumb the depths of inaccurate accusations indulged by 'Runaway Pete', how about reading what he actually did say?.
    There is no doubt that as the leader of a tiny country Castro was a giant of a leader, whatever you think of him.
    https://www.president.ie/en/media-library/news-releases/statement-by-president-michael-d.-higgins-on-the-death-of-fidel-castro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Of course he's going to win, around 60% of the first round of votes according to this forum. Unless people are suggesting that after hours is not representative of the Irish public and the owner of the website has allowed it to be taken over by a tiny but vocal minority, most of which aren't Irish, or live in Ireland, whose views are not in line with the Irish people.

Well that's quite the claim! Are there a lot of foreign people so interterested in the minutae of Irish life? Where do you think they're based and what would their agenda be?

wexie wrote: »
    While I don't think you're altogether wrong in what you're trying to convey....I'm not altogether sure how protecting a culture that encourages people to not get educated is likely to going to help any....

'Ethnic status' is an attempt to give self esteem. For how many decades did we as a people rail against demeaning stereotypical depictions of us by others?
    It is only by restoring pride and through education that this problem (and it is a problem) can be solved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Disappointed Casey is contemplating his position in the campaign.

Rather than plumb the depths of inaccurate accusations indulged by 'Runaway Pete', how about reading what he actually did say?. There is no doubt that as the leader of a tiny country Castro was a giant of a leader, whatever you think of him.

Apologies he described Castro as a giant, what other inaccuracies have I engaged in . He gave a speech decrying captilism and globalisation whilst benefiting to the tune of 500k pa ( wage and expenses) from the very system he seems to abhorr.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Rather than plumb the depths of inaccurate accusations indulged by 'Runaway Pete', how about reading what he actually did say?.
    There is no doubt that as the leader of a tiny country Castro was a giant of a leader, whatever you think of him.
    https://www.president.ie/en/media-library/news-releases/statement-by-president-michael-d.-higgins-on-the-death-of-fidel-castro

Not a lot,Francie, not a lot, kept his country in poverty for ages and it still is,so I cannot share your apparent enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

The funny thing is, on RedFM they're interviewing Gavin Duffy about Peter Casey :) You couldn't buy that publicity. The polls will tell a lot, I guess there will be a few in the papers Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The dog whistle politics of Casey certainly stirred up the racists.

Looks like he's pulling out of the race.

There is nothing whatsoever racist about saying all people should be treated as equals.

Thats the actually the epitome of the opposite of being racist actually.

2/10 try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm replacing the word 'traveller' with 'Jew' while reading the thread and pretending I'm in 1930's Germany - it's great craic.

That has to be one of the worst comparisons ever made and is one of the most insulting to the Jewish population of the Germany of that time.

They were hard working, often extremely successful in industry, arts, science, education.
    And they contributed a hell of amount to the country.

On the other hand travellers ....

See where I am going.

How is pointing out that the settled community engage in the exact same thing a deflection?

Ahh Frankie leave out yer mates linked to sinn fein when talking about criminality in the settled community and it will not seem quite so bad.

I just love how the shinners are getting seriously worried about Casey. :D

Maybe they might cop on we don't want their version of entitlement Ireland.
    Everyone pays their taxes? Yeah?

Ahh franice I told you earlier, everyone isn't like Slab and the lads.
    Use the general elections to give power to either FF or FG again again and then when it comes to electing someone who doesn't have the power or the remit to effect the changes he is highlighting/promising to make, you vote for a candidate piggy backing on an issue.

And you wonder why you are taken for a fool by the ruling class??? :D:D

Yer crowd have the power and remit to effect changes in Northern Ireland and indeed in Westminster, but you are refusing to even engage.

Instead you are deserting your own voters and support base and consigning them to the whims of the eejits in the DUP.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Your answers are just waffle.
    You've yet to produce any evidence he's a racist.

Can't ascribe satisfaction of either the positive or negative variety to answers that you have not given. You were asked repeatedly about your racism claims no reply from you to any poster. That's just one example.

What racism claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jmayo wrote: »
    ...Yer crowd have the power and remit to effect changes in Northern Ireland and indeed in Westminster, but you are refusing to even engage.

Instead you are deserting your own voters and support base and consigning them to the whims of the eejits in the DUP.

Them and their ilk have no credibility whatsoever, and are in fact no more than boot-boys, thugs and braying asses, until such time as they take their places at Parliament and conduct the mandate they have been given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

'Ethnic status' is an attempt to give self esteem. For how many decades did we as a people rail against demeaning stereotypical depictions of us by others?
    It is only by restoring pride and through education that this problem (and it is a problem) can be solved.

Pride in what? And I'm not asking that as a snide but a genuine question.

Yes it's absolutely a problem and personally I think there are probably travelers who are trying to do better and trying to get away from the harmful aspects of their culture that are being disadvantaged by the many many stereotypes.

But whenever there's an outrage like sulky racing on public roads or the likes the message from the spokes people seems to be 'it's an outrage that you are all upset over this, it's a part of our culture and you should all allows us to do it'.

The message seems to never be 'you're all right, this kind of behaviour has no place in a modern society and we as a group can and should do better'.

Rather than disproving the stereotypes (which I'm sure some/many are doing) lots of them seem to try to live up to them.

While I will fully accept there is a lot of prejudice out there against them, from where I stand there is an awful lot more that society as a whole (I'm not talking individual people but the supports, frameworks and legislation) is doing to help travelers than they are doing to help themselves.

And you know what if that is how they want it I actually don't mind, I fully understand and support 'the right to be different'.

When I start minding is when that 'right to be different' starts interfering with other peoples rights.

• Advertisement

dav3 wrote:
    What racism claims?

Someone else using your account? Were you indisposed till now? Actually forget it i've realised you don't answer questions you just post for want of a better description 'nonsense'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I’m cynical...but that’s exactly what I would say to garner more support for the next three days. If he announces he’s still running those that are on the fence will definitely give him their vote now.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Apparently he was taking this weekend off the campaign anyway so now he comes out with this statement, his support will grow over the weekend and come Sunday/Monday he'll announce he's still in the race its a clever strategy.

Someone else using your account? Were you indisposed till now? Actually forget it i've realised you don't answer questions you just post for want of a better description 'nonsense'.

Quote the claims and I'll answer them if I get the chance. Stop being such a dramatist.

I doubt people want to watch you get worked up over someone answering/not answering questions the way you'd like.

They're checking this thread to see what Casey will say next. Is he starting to crack? Is Casey Cracking?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sightband wrote: »
    I’m cynical...but that’s exactly what I would say to garner more support for the next three days. If he announces he’s still running those that are on the fence will definitely give him their vote now.
    Apparently he was taking this weekend off the campaign anyway so now he comes out with this statement, his support will grow over the weekend and come Sunday/Monday he'll announce he's still in the race its a clever strategy.

Wearing the auld tin foil hats are we lads? :pac:

just kidding

dav3 wrote:
    Quote the claims and I'll answer them if I get the chance. Stop being such a dramatist.

I'll make it very simple for you. Do you believe Casey is a racist bearing in mind he has called for equality for everyone. A simple YES or NO will suffice. One of the easiest answers you will give today. 3 letters or 2 letters.

dav3 wrote:
    They're checking this thread to see what Casey will say next. Is he starting to crack? Is Casey Cracking?

Casey will be back Monday after what I suspect will be be a weekend of editorial attack on him and his personal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

His name will still be on the ballot paper so we can still vote even if he withdraws.

The more people that vote for him the better.

The travellers have got very brazen and they know they are above the law, its time now for the authorities in this country to take these people on.

Send in armed Gardai into the halting sites and search them regularly. Inspect all vehicles and if they arent taxed and insured then impound them, travellers wont get far doing burglary raids around the country without wheels.

Tag all travellers convicted of raiding the homes of the elderly, the Gardai need to know their whereabouts as soon as they put a foot out of the bed at midday.

Remove child benefit from all children of schoolgoing age who miss more than two days a month without good reason. Taking money from travellers is the only thing that will make them send their children to school. Adult males dont want their wives to be educated because that might give them courage to stand up to the men and they dont want the children to be educated beyond primary school either because education is a way out.

Do something, Leo, anything, you are the leader of this country and one segment of the population is out of control.

VOTE FOR Peter Caey, how dare Leo Vradkar tell people not to vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can you please demonstrate to us how travellers are being deprived of education by the population at large? (And I have had travellers - not many, but some - in classes at plc level, no problems whatever).

• Advertisement

Apologies he described Castro as a giant, what other inaccuracies have I engaged in . He gave a speech decrying captilism and globalisation whilst benefiting to the tune of 500k pa ( wage and expenses) from the very system he seems to abhorr.

So there is nobody else in western society (taking a wage and expenses) that decries the negative effects of capitalism and globalisation? Because you are part of a system you cannot criticise that system's excesses and exploitations? Really? And you want to depict yourself as somebody not engaging in simplistic kneejerk reactions? :rolleyes:
    Not a lot,Francie, not a lot, kept his country in poverty for ages and it still is,so I cannot share your apparent enthusiasm.

I haven't offered an opinion on Castro as it happens, I have defended the right of somebody to have an opinion though.

Did you research what the Parnell Squares representative's opinion of the situation in Tipp is Brendy? Any adjustment in your opinion forthcoming? Or do you think you have run away from the thread for long enough now that all is forgotten?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement