Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

He doesn't want Travellers to be 'equal' - he wants them to essentially stop being Travellers and to assimilate into the rest of society, rather than coexisting as a distinct ethnic group.

The poster I was quoting (Dr Brown) hates lots of other groups too, not just Travellers. That he is still here after almost 1,000 posts tells you all you need to know about what After Hours has become. I suspect he's not even a real doctor.

What do you mean 'stop being travellers'? Do you mean to say that you are happy with the fact that they don't pay taxes, scrounge off the rest of us and rob rural Ireland blind all at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Keep going people and get out and vote, we can take down both political correctness and the bookies in one fell swoop!

100/1 is indeed fairly 'reasonable' even the Trump was only 25/1 in the months before he actually won.

If he did actually run, who knows what the result wil be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure that's it, everyone's a 'right-wing crackpot' these days, 17.4m brexitiers and all those Trump voters, oh and the Italians, and Austrians, and the V4 and anyone that reads the Mail, or stands on the right hand side of an escalator or has ever worn a pinstripe suit too. Mad, mad the lot of them.

Data suggests he was taking about 20% of bets, just ahead of Duffy, well that was just before his comments upset the social warriors.

I wouldnt say he upset anyone really. Most didnt care either way. He just realised he could capitalise on the perma outraged and hoover them up. He appealed to a group that would otherwise have just whinged. Dunno why he hasn't had pops at welfare/islam yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

Anyway, we all love the knackers now, do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

vonlars wrote: »
    What do you mean 'stop being travellers'? Do you mean to say that you are happy with the fact that they don't pay taxes, scrounge off the rest of us and rob rural Ireland blind all at the same time?

Do you mean to say that all travellers "don't pay taxes, scrounge off the rest of us and rob rural Ireland blind all at the same time"? Because if you do mean to say that, you are wrong. And a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    I can't remember what I answered. You should try to find it, it's back there somewhere.

You didn't answer, but then I didn't expect you to. Vacuous.

dav3 wrote:
    Not yet. Stories can appear out of the blue at any time. He has a few business interests in the US, of course certain areas will be targeted. Next up is wife and children are targeted and suddenly he finds himself in an actual presidential race.

But you claimed it was. Telling porkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

pjohnson wrote: »
    He appealed to a group that would otherwise have just whinged. Dunno why he hasn't had pops at welfare/islam yet.

Because half the country’s on welfare..

That’s untouchable and would be presidential suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Most people are getting sick of the pc liberal freaks of this country. Anything that can ram it down their necks and cause them more damage will get a yes vote from me. Casey all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rennaws wrote: »
    Because half the country’s on welfare..

That’s untouchable and would be presidential suicide

Theres still a market of voters that would wet themselves to vote for him if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Where is the AH poll?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He doesn't want Travellers to be 'equal' - he wants them to essentially stop being Travellers and to assimilate into the rest of society, rather than coexisting as a distinct ethnic group.
    If "being Travellers" means lower longevity, teen marriages, being taken out of school in early teens, being far more represented in the stats compared to background in unemployment, social welfare costs, convictions/imprisonments, spousal abuse, mental illness and anti social behaviour then he's dead right. How can that "coexist" with a normal society?

Case in point: That bleeding hearts media darling of the moment Ms. Cash, with her seven kids, getting €50k of taxpayers money per annum, who admitted on Facebook to spending more than enough money for rent in the weeks running up to her "me and d'poor childer have to stay in a Garda station" spell. And even though she's high profile in the public eye, campaigning and looking for even more hand outs, nay demanding them as her right, goes and steals 300 quids worth of stuff from Penneys, to add to her thirty seven previous convictions. Convictions mind. Where she was caught, charged, tried and convicted. It seems she just can't help herself to not be the perfect example of the Traveller stereotype. Never mind the galoots in Tipp protesting that their free modern build houses don't have enough room for fcuking stables? When the vast majority of Irish people would think they won the lotto to get a free house. And people wonder why so many think what the bloody hell about this so called "ethnic group" and are glad that someone in the public eye, no matter how much of a muppet is saying what so many think and have experience of? FFS Enough is enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Anything that will ram it down the necks of the pc liberal freaks of this country will get a yes vote for me. Casey all the way.

Might have to wait a couple of weeks, threre is currently a large 'important' global campaign busy trying to force Kleenex to rename their 'mansize' tissue brand.

You can't have a tissue or anything really that's mansized, that's just so wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Might have to wait a couple of weeks, threre is currently a large 'important' global campaign busy trying to force Kleenex to rename their 'mansize' tissue brand.

You can't have a tissue or anything really that's mansized, that's just so wrong.

Can we still have mansized men ? I've a mate fancies the hole off of Anthony Joshua!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wibbs for president!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

Has he had a boost in the polls over his comments? He hilarious if he actually won or ran a close second. Especially with ***** like Varadker being 'offended' on my behalf and urging me not to vote for him.

mdol wrote: »
    Has he had a boost in the polls over his comments? He hilarious if he actually won or ran a close second. Especially with ***** like Varadker being 'offended' on my behalf and urging me not to vote for him.

I've put a tenner on "betting without Dobby the House Elf" with BoyleSports.

Can we still have mansized men ? I've a mate fancies the hole off of Anthony Joshua!

Not sure might have to run it past a quango roundtable of instagrammers, before using that phrase, in the meantime just call Joshua:

'A person of both nautral genetic, and intentional exercise-created largeness of size'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's a shame that these brand new houses are "no good to them".
    Hopefully some poor homeless family will get one of these lovely homes.

Yeah and move in across from the bunch that see them as their god given right.
    As it is, it is probably costing a fortune in security to make sure "someones" don't steal all the plumbing. :rolleyes:
    dav3 wrote: »
    I can't remember what I answered. You should try to find it, it's back there somewhere.

Casey should look at the polls on after hours, he's a shoe-in. There's no need for the others even turning up.

The whole 'Peter Casey is a Racist' claim following him around the globe, is not good optics for a business man I'll agree.

Jaysus you really are trying to pedal some shyte.

It must be really getting on the goaties of the trots how the people are coming out to agree with a political candidate when they utter some home truths.

VOTE CASEY No. 1
    feck the rest of them.

I am not allowed discuss …

Wibbs wrote: »
    If being Travellers" means lower longevity, teen marriages, being taken out of school in early teens, being far more represented in the stats compared to background in unemployment, social welfare costs, convictions/imprisonments, spousal abuse, mental illness and anti social behaviour then he's dead right. How can that "coexist" with a normal society?

If the "being taken out of school in early teens" part can be rectified (and if additional educational supports provided to travellers, but withdrawn during the recession, can be reinstated), a lot (if not all) of those other problems you've mentioned can resolve themselves. An increasing number of Travellers are remaining in the education system, and going on to third level, but it's not easy for them. I know of two Travellers who have/are studying for PhDs and they're still Travellers and are still keenly aware of their culture. It won't just magically happen though... Comments like Peter Casey's offer more heat than light. Bashing and further marginalising Travellers, and making sweeping generalisations about them, might be somehow 'satisfying' to you and others, but it will achieve nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is so depressing. I don't agree with him, but he shouldn't be giving in to those demanding limits on democratic choice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,831 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is kinda hilarious to see those who were breathlessly telling us that he had said what 'everybody knows' or '90% of the people' believe, now claiming that he has been hounded out.
    90% of the people have been trumped by 10%?

Youse know what to do about that, don't youse? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Settled families used to have large numbers of kids, now families have smaller numbers of children as they can't afford to have large families - Travellers still have large families even though they have no means of supporting them.

Settled people have had to change professions and leave behind old skills in order to get work. (e.g. friend of mine was an expert thatcher, but had to change profession - he did and is now working). Old Traveller skills are no longer required in society so do they change skills? No, they get themselves designated as an Ethnic group so that they don't have to upskill and in doing so condemn the future generations to the same fate.

I heard something on the radio the other day where one Government department had a website that was reading out the text of Government documentation for Travellers who could not read! Investing money in a website so that the Travellers don't have to get their kid's an education. Can you imagine any Government department bending over backwards for a regular citizen?

Where is the AH poll?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108393560

cm1CauD.png

The voice of logic and wisdom (perhaps).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

Do you mean to say that all travellers "don't pay taxes, scrounge off the rest of us and rob rural Ireland blind all at the same time"? Because if you do mean to say that, you are wrong. And a racist.

2,000 out of 30,000 of them work. That's a fact. How do you think the 28,000 of them survive?

What you responded to could be classed as a generalisation but you will have to explain the racist part. What in the claim makes it racist?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What you responded to could be classed as a generalisation but you will have to explain the racist part. What in the claim makes it racist?

It's only 'not racist' if you pretend that they aren't a distinct ethnic group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres still a market of voters that would wet themselves to vote for him if he did.

honestly I have a semi just waiting on those proclamations.

It's only 'not racist' if you pretend that they aren't a distinct ethnic group.

That doesn't answer what I asked you, again where is the racism in the comment you responded to?

• Advertisement

Not sure might have to run it past a quango roundtable of instagrammers, before using that phrase, in the meantime just call Joshua:

'A person of both nautral genetic, and intentional exercise-created largeness of size'.

Man, that's so hot!!! :D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement