Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I'm just trying to meet you in the middle, because semantic arguments are very dull and I'm more interested in expressing an opinion than 'winning' any argument. We agree that it was an inflammatory generalisation. I'm sure we can also agree that an inflammatory generalisation based on ethnicity is equivalent to one based on race.

So basically what you want is another word to call someone a racist without using the word racist.
    I said it could be considered an inflammatory generalisation. Descriptive words are important for many reasons so leave out the semantic bs Ethnicity are Race are entirely different a d trying suggest an equivalence of the two is bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Is it the case that if Casey did pullout his name will still be in the ballot paper so he could still be voted for ?
    He was polling 1% before this controversies but his vote could double or treble now to 2-3%
    He’s bound to get sizeable votes in towns and villages that have suffered at the hands of traveller burgularies etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I was walking along a footpath on street in Dublin and a guy on a bike suddenly ran into me and told me to "watch where the f*** you're gong you dozy ****"
    I said "you're on a footpath .. you know for PEDESTRIANS ..."
    He said : "***** and ****"

I'm sure it was 100% to do with him being a redhead with a particular accent and not anything to do with him being a complete asshat.

Oddly enough asshats come in lots of different varieties, hair colours, genders, races, heights, but they have one thing in common : asshattery.

Agreed, the point was why is she allowed to racially abuse someone with impunity - actual colour and nationality based racism - and yet Casey is being slagged off for being "racist" when he is anything but ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Really? You honestly think people are too frightened to complain about travellers in Ireland?

Yeah it's incredible when you consider how harshly the justice system views crime committed by members of the travelling community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Agreed, the point was why is she allowed to racially abuse someone with impunity - actual colour and nationality based racism - and yet Casey is being slagged off for being "racist" when he is anything but ?

She's not allowed to racially abuse someone with impunity. You'd be totally entitled to log that as a racist incident, if you are abused based on your race or nationality. People tend to react more defensively to abuse of minority groups, because those groups have been the targets of racists, but racism is racism. You just don't give someone abuse based on their ethnicity or appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

vonlars wrote: »
    Now, can you point out where I was being racist in my original comment?

I already have. If you don't accept it, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

I already have. If you don't accept it, that's fine.

I don't think you really have though. I just gave you facts to back up everything I said. I think you're the one not accepting it. That's fine.

Again, your thoughts on the Nally case?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hurler32 wrote: »
    Is it the case that if Casey did pullout his name will still be in the ballot paper so he could still be voted for ?
    He was polling 1% before this controversies but his vote could double or treble now to 2-3%
    He’s bound to get sizeable votes in towns and villages that have suffered at the hands of traveller burgularies etc

Yes

The nonsense he is pulling out is ridiculous posturing to keep him in the news headlines!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,889 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I was walking along a footpath on street in Dublin and a guy on a bike suddenly ran into me and told me to "watch where the f*** you're gong you dozy ****"
    I said "you're on a footpath .. you know for PEDESTRIANS ..."
    He said : "***** and ****"

I'm sure it was 100% to do with him being a redhead with a particular accent and not anything to do with him being a complete asshat.

Oddly enough asshats come in lots of different varieties, hair colours, genders, races, heights, but they have one thing in common : asshattery.

There is always someone who discriminates against cyclists.

vonlars wrote: »
    Again, your thoughts on the Nally case?

I wouldn't shed any tears for his victim, but I don't think it's right to shoot people, especially in the back when they're trying to escape. Sorry, I know that's probably the 'wrong' answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Shame if he pulls out who to protest vote with now :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Calhoun wrote: »
    Shame if he pulls out who to protest vote with now :(.

He's on the ballot, him running or not now doesn't stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If he bows out it will be an hilarious count, and a great opportunity for a protest vote.

The PR system will be in meltdown. Quotas all over the place. I think it would be great if he stood down, not because of anything he did or said or was bullied about, but the mayhem that could ensue :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

If he bows out it will be an hilarious count, and a great opportunity for a protest vote.

The PR system will be in meltdown. Quotas all over the place. I think it would be great if he stood down, not because of anything he did or said or was bullied about, but the mayhem that could ensue :p

It was all so predictable and boring this time last week..

Who would have guessed it would get so interesting..

I really hope he doesn’t step down but I agree, it would make a farce of it and the system..

Would be funny to watch if he got strong support..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This post has been deleted.

This is wrong it wasn't a normal burgarly case, they intimidated and made the life of Nash hell for a long time before it happened.

I believe he has actually started sleeping in the stables outside he was too scared to sleep in the house.

So yah imagine all that going on, the authorities doing sweet FA and you understand why someone would take the law into their own hands and reload and out two more into him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Do you have an email address?

peter@petercasey.ie

from his website. Also on Twitter as @CaseyPeterJ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I wouldn't shed any tears for his victim, but I don't think it's right to shoot people, especially in the back when they're trying to escape. Sorry, I know that's probably the 'wrong' answer.

Get real. If he didn't shoot him in the back and finish him you can be sure that Ward would have come back and killed him.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Get real. If he didn't shoot him in the back and finish him you can be sure that Ward would have come back and killed him.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Or the previous 20 times he intimidated him

• Advertisement

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

I think you're very out of touch with reality if you believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is this the 'plague' that keeps being referred to? Travellers killing members of the settled community? Is that what makes you so sure 'he was coming back to KILL him'?

I'm away off to Google to find the stats on travellers KILLING settled people. How many instances do you think I will find? :rolleyes:

sickened listening to Gavin Duffy on radio there smugly saying most of Louth Meath and Kildare will vote for him. I live in Drogheda and he certainly wont get my vote. I've heard far too many stories about him and I think he is way too arrogant. Not a people person at all. I honestly cannot believe the arrogance of most of this bunch.

Will be voting for Casey regardless. Then Michael D.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Debussy wrote: »
    I cringe every time someone says travellers are victims of racism. White people CANNOT EXPERIENCE RACISM.

Really, really wish people would learn this basic fact.
    Of course white people can experience racism, do you honestly not think there are instances when white people have been harassed due to their race, have you not heard of terms like "honky" etc?

Of course when it comes to travellers in this instance it is in no shape or form racism imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Really enjoyed listening to this racist egomaniac buffoon squirm and whine on today's Radio 1 news.
    Still spouting his vicious bile while at the same time trying to play the victim.
    Few things more enjoyable than the sight of a pig roasting in its own juices lol
    I cringe every time someone says travellers are victims of racism. White people CANNOT EXPERIENCE RACISM.

Wow
    What a stupid statement.
    I mean so stupid it defies belief

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any race can experience racism.

The point here is that travellers are not a distinct race.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have special ethnicity status' the last time I looked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

I'd be reasonably satisfied that all adult travellers would fit one or other of "don't pay taxes" " scrounge off the rest of use" or "rob rural Ireland blind"
    I'd be further satisfied that a great number of them fit into all three.

Is this the 'plague' that keeps being referred to? Travellers killing members of the settled community? Is that what makes you so sure 'he was coming back to KILL him'?

I'm away off to Google to find the stats on travellers KILLING settled people. How many instances do you think I will find? :rolleyes:

You obviously aren't living in a rural area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Bigotry then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement