Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If they were 'sure' to come back and kill him then Nally would have had to have higher stats than that to fire the gun.

I understand that he saw red and killed. I accept that and can see his reasons.

But don't be gilding the lily by claiming that the incidence of this is either a plague, exclusive to the travelling community so prevalent as to be the norm, it isn't.

But it is the norm. Rural crime is a big issue (for rural people anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Henwin wrote: »
    Exactly, there are numerous farmer neighbours of ours that have bad experiences with some travellers. It last week our next door neighbour have travellers walking on his land. He politely asked them to leave and they got very aggressive and threatening to damage his property. That night all his tractor tyres were slashed as well as other damage.
    Our other neighbour was cutting branches from a tree near the road over the summer. 2 travellers offered to help. He said there was no need but they insisted. They cut down 2 branches and then demanded 300 euro. The owner said not a hope and then the travellers got very aggressive and pulled out iron bars. He got such a fright he gave them the money.
    Neither case has had any charges brought against them. Every farmer I know has stuff stolen. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth and I can guarantee casey will get a fair few votes.

€300?
    Small price to pay for such a culturally enriching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

This guy seems like a true arsehole chancer.
    Basically tried to be the edgy, anti-pc candidate and took an easy enough target for a kicking hoping enough people would join him in the kicking.

What a ****head. And his diaspora pie-in-the-sky rubbish.

Clown.

My post might betray that I don't like him. ðŸ˜
    Because hes basically a wannabe maverick/Donald Trump and making a hames of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

My post might betray that I don't like him. 😠Because hes basically a wannabe maverick/Donald Trump and making a hames of it.

So when he says everyone should be treated the same is he wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The ballot papers are printed already, he will be on them

I assume a vote for someone who is not, or is no longer in the race would count as a "spoiled vote"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But it is the norm. Rural crime is a big issue (for rural people anyway).

Yes. And all types of people are involved in rural crime.

We could have exactly the same conversation about crime in and by the settled community, with outlandishly grotesque examples.

Would a generalised comment like that motivate the keyboard outraged though? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    In fairness,not excepting brand new houses because they didn’t have stables has to be the mother of all jokes!
    it's an impressive estate
    finished to the highest quality
    1.7 million quid though, come on
    one of the hard nosed journalists in rte has to qustion that ffs
    isnt kieran mallooly hanging around there scratchin his arse, on our fcukin licence fee too
    kieran find out how the stone wall at the front cost nearly 100k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We could have exactly the same conversation about crime in and by the settled community, with outlandishly grotesque examples.

Would a generalised comment like that motivate the keyboard outraged though? Probably not.

Just speaking from personal experience and from people I know.
    Anytime people has felt intimidated at their door, a vulnerable person has being pushed into purchasing a product or services, etc. It has always being members of the travelling community involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

This guy seems like a true arsehole chancer.
    Basically tried to be the edgy, anti-pc candidate and took an easy enough target for a kicking hoping enough people would join him in the kicking.

What a ****head. And his diaspora pie-in-the-sky rubbish.

Clown.

My post might betray that I don't like him. ðŸ˜
    Because hes basically a wannabe maverick/Donald Trump and making a hames of it.

I take it from your username that your surname is mcdonagh ,cash or connors ? To answer your tripe btw, he hasn’t made a haimes of anything , in fact he will increase his vote % if he still runs purely for saying what the majority of people know to be true. Refreshing really

hawkelady wrote: »
    I take it from your username that your surname is mcdonagh ,cash or connors ? To answer your tripe btw, he hasn’t made a haimes of anything , in fact he will increase his vote % if he still runs purely for saying what the majority of people know to be true. Refreshing really

You didn't hear his shambles of an interview at One O'Clock obviously. He was all over the shop. Unless it was an act, I reckon he is a busted flush tbh.

• Advertisement

Just speaking from personal experience and from people I know.
    Anytime people has felt intimidated at their door, a vulnerable person has being pushed into purchasing a product or services, etc. It has always being members of the travelling community involved.

Well there are an awful lot of settled people wrongly in prison so. Perhaps Peter might address that great travesty next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Hey a poster called dav3 claimed that calling Casey racist was only satire on his behalf. Unbelievable insult to people's that have suffered real racial abuse. It seems the leftists have highjacked the racism label to promote their own bigotry.If it weren't so tragic it might be amusing.

we all seen what they tried to do to Justice Kavanaugh
    one of them here earlier on a thread today mentioned Peter Casey's wife and children being targeted wt actual f like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

peter@petercasey.ie

from his website. Also on Twitter as @CaseyPeterJ

Mail sent.
    Is this the 'plague' that keeps being referred to? Travellers killing members of the settled community? Is that what makes you so sure 'he was coming back to KILL him'?

I'm away off to Google to find the stats on travellers KILLING settled people. How many instances do you think I will find? :rolleyes:

Ever hear of another Mr Casey, Tommy Casey of Oranmore Co. Galway.
    In January 15th 1996 Tommy Casey was found dead in the house he lived in alone.

An 89 year old woman in Bray last year was nearly beaten to death by two guys, one of which was 25 year old Michael Cash who had 96 previous convictions.

Now where does that surname ring a bell :rolleyes:

AFAIK the prime suspects for tying up and leaving poor old Charlestown native Eddie Fitzmaurice to die on his own are guess who.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

blanch152 wrote: »

Does anyone have a link to the actual study?

I believe this is it: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep42187

jmayo wrote: »
    Mail sent.

Ever hear of another Mr Casey, Tommy Casey of Oranmore Co. Galway.
    In January 15th 1996 Tommy Casey was found dead in the house he lived in alone.

An 89 year old woman in Bray last year was nearly beaten to death by two guys, one of which was 25 year old Michael Cash who had 96 previous convictions.

Now where does that surname ring a bell :rolleyes:

AFAIK the prime suspects for tying up and leaving poor old Charlestown native Eddie Fitzmaurice to die on his own are guess who.

Far as I know, nobody has denied that travellers commit crimes. Not even Pavee Point do that.

As I said to somebody else, we could play Traveller Crime, Settled Crime all night.
    The country is awash with crime committed by many different types of people.

Up to this many people would have blamed the complete undermining of rural policing.

In my locality anyway the vast majority of crime is committed by members of the travelling community.

autumn2018 wrote:
    we all seen what they tried to do to Justice Kavanaugh one of them here earlier on a thread today mentioned Peter Casey's wife and children being targeted wt actual f like

That was dav3 again the same lad that claimed calling Casey racist was only satire. I notice his absence .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If PC is hounded out of the presidential campaign by the media and motr politicians then we truly deserve the politicians we get, liars. Speaking the truth is to be avoided at all cost, just keep peddling inoffensive waffle and shirk hard decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Far as I know, nobody has denied that travellers commit crimes. Not even Pavee Point do that.

As I said to somebody else, we could play Traveller Crime, Settled Crime all night.

Up to this many people would have blamed the complete undermining of rural policing.

The really vicious crimes committed against the elderly are done by travellers, the Gardai know this, the media know this but there is a conspiracy not to name the ethnic group. The Gardai set up operation Thor to catch these lowlives but the only thing that will eliminate this behaviour is to allow vulnerable rural dwellers to carry fire arms. Anyone who terrorises an eighty year old in their own home deserves to leave that house in a box but of course if you point a gun at this vermin you will be the one to end up down in the Garda Station.

Vote for Peter Casey, even if he is intimidated out by the travellers you can still give him number one.

If PD is hounded out of the presidential campaign by the media and motr politicians then we truly deserve the politicians we get, liars. Speaking the truth is to be avoided at all cost, just keep peddling inoffensive waffle and shirk hard decisions.

I personally believe Casey is playing it clever and will announce on Monday he will continue to campaign. No matter the outcome of the election he has called out the bullsh*t the travelling community are allowed to get away with.

• Advertisement

You would lose that particular game ..

Just work out the % of knackers who commit crime compared to the % of settled folk who commit crime !
    Considering there are far more settled folk than travellers , I do believe you would lose quite miserably.
    Maybe snap is more of a fitting game for you to play ?

You would lose that particular game ..

Just work out the % of knackers who commit crime compared to the % of settled folk who commit crime !
    Considering there are far more settled folk than travellers , I do believe you would lose quite miserably.
    Maybe snap is more of a fitting game for you to play ?

You know you can't play a game and change the rules so you win.

We know there is a higher ratio of crime among travellers. There is in groups who have been discriminated against the world over.

We know there is a higher ratio of crime among travellers. There is in groups who have been discriminated against the world over.

I’ll give you one thing Francis , you have an answer for everything. Fair dues , boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

By the look of Casey on the news I would say he,s been threatened.

Would you come and say that to all the elderly people living on her own in fear tonight? Do you believe that should be the case in our society?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

No.
    I just think he's a fool.
    I thought this thread was about him.

I don't have strong views on travellers tbh.
    I do have strong views on him being a fool

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well there are an awful lot of settled people wrongly in prison so. Perhaps Peter might address that great travesty next?

All criminality needs to be dealt with.
    In my experience intimidation/people being taken advantage is mainly commuted by members of the travelling community especially in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have to agree on the ethnic group thing. Being a traveller is a lifestyle thing, not a genetic thing. If part of that lifestyle involves only procreating with others who follow that same lifestyle, IMO that's not enough to justify an ethnic group label, any more than the Amish are an ethnic group, or members of cults are an ethnic group. They're Irish people who follow a certain lifestyle.

IMO that does not make me anti-traveller. I have no problem with individuals who choose to follow a nomadic lifestyle. But demanding these special statuses is absurd and we shouldn't kowtow to it. I also don't see the point of "traveller specific accomodation" which isn't a halting site, tbh - IMO, a "settled traveller" is just "an Irish person who isn't nomadic".

This division of people into groups is something I just oppose full stop. And in my view, those who push for it only do so because they're looking for the perks of special status.

Does that make me some kind of bigot? I really don't think so. It's like a lot of other PC issues today - just because you don't validate someone's assertion that they're deserving of special treatment, doesn't mean you actually dislike those individuals. I don't dislike Muslims, but I don't believe that they (or right wing Christians, for that matter) should be allowed to inflict ultraconservative beliefs on their children. I don't dislike gender non-conforming folks, but that doesn't mean I should have to learn and memorise a hundred different specific words to describe all the different flavours and nuances of gender nonconformity - as far as I'm concerned, once you go into that much detail, you're basically describe the reason individuals humans have different names to tell them apart from one another, an extra layer of labels to describe individuals is unnecessary. Etc.

Disliking people and objecting to the idea that they should be treated in some special way because of the lifestyle they choose to abide by are two very different things. And believing in equal rights and tolerance, and believing in special treatment, are also two very different things. Travellers and others who choose to live various lifestyles which aren't currently mainstream - go for it! Social taboos and conformity are bad things in my view. More power to them. People who choose to live various lifestyles which aren't currently mainstream - and demand special attention, status, treatment or exceptions to laws because of that? F*ck right off, that's a load of bollocks.

Tl;dr - Travellers aren't an ethnicity, they're Irish people who make particular lifestyle choices, just like members of any other lifestyle choice group. Tolerating those lifestyle choices and bending over backwards inconveniencing others to accommodate those lifestyle choices are entirely different kettles of fish. I would personally demand the former from any politician as a form of basic human decency, and ironically also reject the latter, again on the grounds of basic human decency.

Treat everyone equally and don't be a douchebag. That isn't complicated, and if people have trouble with that, well they're not getting my vote anyway.

I don't have strong views on travellers tbh. I do have strong views on him being a fool

I know it's the obvious question but sure why not, what makes him a fool in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭billyhead

I will support Peter Casey if he remains in the race. I commend him for having the balls to say what he thinks. A lot of travellers are scum. Robbing from the elderly is as bad as Paedophilia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement