Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Do travellers pay electricity and bin charges?
    No they dont and they just litter as they walk along i told a young fella to pick up his chocolate paper and not litter the countryside. he told me to **** off or he.ll bate me and i said do call to my house and i set the dogs on you you little ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

We know it is disproportionate.

Let me ask you this, what would happen if a US presidential candidate made a sweeping statement like that about black people, who are represented disproportionately in their prison system? Let me ask you, would he be right? Would he be lauded by the same people on here for being 'honest'?

We know there is a freaking problem. The question is, is that or alliterated by a coward who makes a sweeping statement and then runs away from it and from offering any solutions to the problem. He also seems to lie at will about other candidates.

If the American president stated that all citizens should be treated equally, I, for one, think that’s a reasonable base line.

Do you think that if the Native American Indians encamped on private property, willfully disregarding the laws of the land, intimidating their neighbors and engaged in theft on a widespread scale that this would be accepted and pandered to? Do you think that the US government would provide them with handouts that are greater than the average wage without ever having worked a day in their lives?

There are aspects of America that are truly appalling but they foster and cherish a work ethic.

Peter Casey is no Statesman but there is a societal issue that he has raised that needs to be debated and tackled.

We don’t (as you have stated) need to “equalize” with Travellers, we all need to be treated equally.

TbL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Casey wont get in but he has taken the scab of a deep sore in the heart of ireland and we wont allow it to scab over again .
    Enda's parting gift was the ethnic status but he didnt go all the way its NOT in our constitution so its not that solid really we would have to vote on it for that ...... i dont see the diaspora flying home from the 4 corners of the earth to give them their precious status. Do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

We know it is disproportionate.

Let me ask you this, what would happen if a US presidential candidate made a sweeping statement like that about black people, who are represented disproportionately in their prison system? Let me ask you, would he be right? Would he be lauded by the same people on here for being 'honest'?

We know there is a freaking problem. The question is, is that or alliterated by a coward who makes a sweeping statement and then runs away from it and from offering any solutions to the problem. He also seems to lie at will about other candidates.

Its already happened.

Google Thomas Jefferson and you find that he said some very un PC things about African Americans.

FrancieB

You’ve also accused Casey of lying (and perhaps he was)

Do you think that all 5 other candidates answered truthfully when asked if they would live beside a halting site?

Would you live voluntarily beside a halting site because I wouldn’t.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

autumn2018 wrote:
    what a fcuking load of manure

What a great response, but could you prehaps discuss the points you disagree with. I look forward to as elegant a response as to what I replied to .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

FrancieB

You’ve also accused Casey of lying (and perhaps he was)

Do you think that all 5 other candidates answered truthfully when asked if they would live beside a halting site?

Would you live voluntarily beside a halting site because I wouldn’t.

TbL

No sane person would choose to live beside a halting site.

Even Mary Robinson objected to one near her house.

Dr Brown wrote:
    Google Thomas Jefferson and you find that he said some very un PC things about African Americans.

He might have said some very un PC things about African Americans but by all accounts he had no problem getting down and dirty with his slave Sarah Hemmings ( African American) fathered several of her children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Peter Casey is about many things,
    One of them is that he would like to include all those that left this country, worked hard, reared a family in another country, these peoples children he would like to see come back and know what their Irish connections are about,
    Also, He was involved in some way with the Good Friday agreement,
    He comes from a large family, and earned his way to the top, by working hard, nothing got handed to him.
    He is the only person to speak out and tell it like it is,
    Every one deserves a home, but some people want to get stables and everything without working for them, I think they should consider themselves fortunate to have gotten a beautiful home,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Dr Brown wrote: »

Really. Got a source?

• Advertisement

Dr Brown wrote: »

That’s what I thought too but why are the other candidates not getting further challenge on this.

Furthermore has it been disproven that MDH objected to a halting site in Galway in the 60’s.

If someone accused me of this and I categorically hadn’t I’d be screaming from the rafters, MD seems either very sanguine about it or he’s hunkering down.

TbL

If the American president stated that all citizens should be treated equally, I, for one, think that’s a reasonable base line.

Do you think that if the Native American Indians encamped on private property, willfully disregarding the laws of the land, intimidating their neighbors and engaged in theft on a widespread scale that this would be accepted and pandered to? Do you think that the US government would provide them with handouts that are greater than the average wage without ever having worked a day in their lives?

There are aspects of America that are truly appalling but they foster and cherish a work ethic.

Peter Casey is no Statesman but there is a societal issue that he has raised that needs to be debated and tackled.

We don’t (as you have stated) need to “equalize” with Travellers, we all need to be treated equally.

TbL

That's an utterly b*ll*x comparison. The Native American peoples were treated appallingly by encroaching European settlers and basically had their lands stolen from them.

That's an utterly b*ll*x comparison. The Native American peoples were treated appallingly by encroaching European settlers and basically had their lands stolen from them.

Jesus Christ some people on here 😀

Ok Mr Pedant, replace Native American Indians with “ethnic miniority #” and try and follow the debate without your soother slipping out.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

What happens if, after the weekend, that he actually DOES decide to withdraw from it? He will still be on the voting sheet from what I gather.
    Don’t know how it works exactly... but if he did top the poll, what happens then?

twirlagig wrote:
    What happens if, after the weekend, that he actually DOES decide to withdraw from it? He will still be on the voting sheet from what I gather. Don’t know if it’s poss

Whether he pulls out or not his name is on the ballot paper. So if you wish you can still vote for him. Which would if he gets elected make some very fun commentary from the people that take the position of President very seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

twirlagig wrote: »
    What happens if, after the weekend, that he actually DOES decide to withdraw from it? He will still be on the voting sheet from what I gather.
    Don’t know how it works exactly... but if he did top the poll, what happens then?

i asked that in the bookies today and they said even if casey is intimidated out of the race they will pay out for most first prefernces

autumn2018 wrote:
    i asked that in the bookies today and they said even if casey is intimidated out of the race they will pay out for most first prefernces

I'm curious your spelling in this thread is excellent yet in the thread about M Cash it's the equivalent of pigeon English. Strange.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Whether he pulls out or not his name is on the ballot paper. So if you wish you can still vote for him. Which would if he gets elected make some very fun commentary from the people that take the position of President very seriously.

The next few days will tell a lot

twirlagig wrote:
    The next few days will tell a lot

He will get attacked in most of the newspapers over the course of the weekend especially in the editorial pieces. He will announce on Monday that due to the support he has received he will feel it necessary to carry on his campaign. He's playing the game. I could be wrong but doubt it.

Jesus Christ some people on here ��

Ok Mr Pedant, replace Native American Indians with “ethnic miniority #” and try and follow the debate without your soother slipping out.

TbL

I'd say you wouldn't mind a Wounded Knee type solution to minority issues here if it came down to it..........

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. If he DOES withdraw, and by some chance, tops the poll... what will happen? Will he be President even though he pulled out? I, for one, support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Do you think that the US government would provide them with handouts that are greater than the average wage without ever having worked a day in their lives?

So pathetically mis-informed as to be dangerous. I think Casey might have some backbone after all because he has realised to his horror what he has started.

Go do some research into marginalised communities across the world will ya? And then get back to me when you realise what a load of nonsense the above truly is.

He will get attacked in most of the newspapers over the course of the weekend especially in the editorial pieces. He will announce on Monday that due to the support he has received he will feel it necessary to carry on his campaign. He's playing the game. I could be wrong but doubt it.

I think you’re right, well I hope so anyway

I'm curious your spelling in this thread is excellent yet in the thread about M Cash it's the equivalent of pigeon English. Strange.
    ya sorry mate i was driving in slow trafic and on my phone
    homw now with full spell correct facilities:pac:

twirlagig wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. If he DOES withdraw, and by some chance, tops the poll... what will happen? Will he be President even though he pulled out? I, for one, support him.

he cant withdraw his name is on the ballot and
    6 days is a long time in politics
    anything could happen

I'd say you wouldn't mind a Wounded Knee type solution to minority issues here if it came down to it..........

Another looney, unable to debate so decides to try a smear and hope the **** sticks approach.

Save your breath, you’ll need it later...to blow up your date 😭

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

autumn2018 wrote: »
    he cant withdraw his name is on the ballot and
    6 days is a long time in politics
    anything could happen
    He can withdraw, but his name stays on the paper for obvious reasons.
    After withdrawing, sin é, he can't suddenly change his mind if he wins.

autumn2018 wrote:
    ya sorry mate i was driving in slow trafic and on my phone homw now with full spell correct facilities

Ah I see you have the 'traveller autocorrect version' cool. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Another looney, unable to debate so decides to try a smear and hope the **** sticks approach.

Save your breath, you’ll need it later...to blow up your date ��

TbL

If you had any inkling whatsoever of past North American history you would have realised your comparison was utter garbage and pretty insensitive to boot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement